Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims (6539 Views)

Nairaland Muslims donate relief items to Internally Displaced Persons In Abuja. / Nairaland Muslims 'inspired By Islam' Project / A sincere Apology to all Nairaland Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 11:58am On Mar 24, 2013
Assalamu aleikum

I have been thinking. I am of the opinion that muslims on nairaland can do a lot more. Nairaland offers muslims a unique platform to serve Allah's deen and present the correct image of this incredible religion at a time when people only hear terrible things about muslims. Allah says we are here for the people, we are supposed to be a Mercy for the people, carriers of the message of truth and justice.

My suggestion, instead of just having end of year or eid dinners, why can't we make it an opportunity to do acts of ibadah. My first suggestion will be a 'back to school' program. Here we choose a local community and distribute school materials like bag-packs and books just before the school year begins. This should be done at the local mosques. We could also offer free translations of the quran for those interested. The brothers/sisters carrying this out should have basic dawah training so they know how to respond to basic questions.

We would have served Allah, come together as brothers/sisters, and fulfilled the rights of the neighbours.

Alternatively, we could visit orphanages and the less privileged. These things should happen once or twice every year at least.

Once there is accountability and a proper structure, getting people to contribute should not be a big deal.

It is about time that we become more active and take advantage of what this platform offers. Ramadan would soon be here, wouldn't it awesome to be able to impact positively on people's lives in the blessed month.

Suggestions and comments are welcome. How do we go about doing this? How do we ensure accountability? What other ideas do you have?

Goodness does not consist in turning your face towards East or West. The truly good are those who believe in God and the Last Day, in the angels, the Scripture, and the prophets; who give away some of their wealth, however much they cherish it, to their relatives, to orphans, the needy, travellers and beggars, and to liberate those in bondage; those who keep up the prayer and pay the prescribed alms; who keep pledges whenever they make them; who are steadfast in misfortune, adversity, and times of danger. These are the ones who are true, and it is they who are aware of God. (Surah 2:177)

3 Likes

Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by Geewan(m): 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
You really spoke well tbaba

I'm in #raising my hand up# lol

May Allah make it easy for us (Amen)!
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 6:03pm On Mar 24, 2013
VEry very good Idea. I like the back to school program more. Many of the orphanages have people funding them already.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by koreye: 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
Good suggestions. May make it easy for us
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by Maisuya1: 7:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
Good idea.

Let those with other suggestions -suggest, those with ideas -ideate, and those with money -spend.

All in all, am up for it.

1 Like

Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 11:08am On Mar 25, 2013
Still waiting for suggestions and ideas
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by maclatunji: 4:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
tbaba1234: Still waiting for suggestions and ideas

You are the one that is meant to elaborate on the idea you have first.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2013
I have already presented that,
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 4:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
It is straightforward.. what other elaboration do you need? It is not rocket science. I wrote this so that everyone can bring up their ideas to make it a success.

1 Like

Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 6:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
I think we need to decide on what we are doing and then have an organisational structure. Put people in place with particular people doing exactly what.

Hmmmn..this should be exciting
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by maclatunji: 6:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
tbaba1234: It is straightforward.. what other elaboration do you need? It is not rocket science. I wrote this so that everyone can bring up their ideas to make it a success.

Oh! I am sorry. I thought you had more elaborate plans. In essence, you are looking at some sort of charity organisation outfit. In that case, we need to have a clear vision and mission. These will help determine whom we reachout to as well as how and why we do so.

1 Like

Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 7:34pm On Mar 25, 2013
deols: I think we need to decide on what we are doing and then have an organisational structure. Put people in place with particular people doing exactly what.

Hmmmn..this should be exciting

Great, this is what i think:

First we need a planning committee made up of at least five volunteers, These people would look at the projected cost of the various options. These guys would have a couple of weeks to come up with a report of projects. Total projected cost will give us an idea of what we need to raise and make a final decision on what project to undertake.Say we need to raise 50,000 naira, That is just 50 people giving 1,000.

A financial committee led by Jarus (my suggestion), We would need to open an account, preferably a joint account with 2 signatories. The financial committee should also consist of about five people. It is their duty to ensure that financial transactions are accounted for, all financial withdrawals must be approved by this group. We should have regular updates on what has been donated, everyone should be updated with the bank statement (maybe bi-weekly).

The last committee would be the ones to do the actual purchase and final planning of the event. say 5 volunteers as well. These guys would work closely with the financial committee so it is not a bad idea to have members of the financial committee here.

Purify all our intention and recognize that actions are only by intentions. We will be judged by what we intended. And make dua.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by sino(m): 7:51pm On Mar 25, 2013
Its a lofty idea, it would be challenging, but definitely possible.

Structure is the most important, we'll be needing volunteers, dedicated brothers and sisters on ground.

Option A
Get a name registered, with all that it entails, open an account and let the donation start...
We come on here, deliberate what we'll be doing for the year and then get vulunteers who can execute them.

Option B
A volunteer or two, would be responsible for receiving money, they open new bank accounts for this purpose, these peeps should be well known here on NL and outside NL(some1 like Oga Jarus and Bro. Mac wink ).
Remaing stuff, same as above.

Option C
We liaise with an organization already on ground, who are into such, we get their account details and post it on here, and we publish their activities on here too. The organization must be active nationwide i suggest.

For option A and B, getting volunteers, i suggest we start with Lagos, i guess we'll be having enough members from there.

On accountability, a report should be submitted on here, at the end of each successful event.

2 Likes

Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by Nobody: 8:47pm On Mar 25, 2013
Signing in
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 9:53pm On Mar 25, 2013
Awesome contribution, sino...
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 9:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
If we are going to get registered, we need a structure.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 12:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
I think getting r3gistered demands a lot including personal info of the members. I dont see how much of that can be done considering d facelessness of the people here.

Again this would be a nairaland thing where people come and go. A permanent structure may not be possible. It crosses out the plan A from Sino in my opinion.

Plan B is good.

I disagree totally with liaison wv an existing organisation. Individuals from existing organisations should feel free to join in and give suggestions.

I suggest that people interested in being a part of this should start making themselves known.

About the intention, it matters a lot.

And may I state again that I take anything towards education as priority.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by zayhal(f): 4:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
I'm in.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 4:27pm On Mar 26, 2013
If this makes front page on friday, i might not be around... going on a little road trip....
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by maclatunji: 4:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
tbaba1234: If this makes front page on friday, i might not be around... going on a little road trip....

Is putting this on front page a wise move at the moment? I would suggest you build gradually but effectively. Sino has identified 3 options, we should either adopt or adapt one of them and then select those who would be the key people for key activities within the project. After this, I think front page would be great. Alternatively, we could create another thread with a similar opening to this one and request front page for that. The thread could be titled- Ideas for a Charity Organisation by Nairaland Muslims.

This thread can be the planning hub.

I volunteer to be your resident contrarian. cheesy A very important job and I am good at it too.

Thank you.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 5:40pm On Mar 26, 2013
I don't think it would be an organization, deols has rightly pointed out the constraints, It is just muslims coming together to do something for deen... And i also think, it has to make front page so that we can get volunteers for the planning phase....
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 6:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
I dont think it is front page material yet either.

The main people involved would have to be the people here whom we at least can trust. Other people should come in when the key decisions would have been made.

Of course we wont want to deal with a 101 suggestions wv every1 demanding why theirs isnt made d right choice.

It is better that we present to them what we must have agreed on. They can then be parts of it or not.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by maclatunji: 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2013
^The middle ground is to create another thread like I suggested and see what comes out of it.

@tbaba, people coming together for the deen (objective) is already a form of organisation. Your structure may be flexible but it definitely is a form of organisation.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by olawalebabs(m): 6:37pm On Mar 26, 2013
signing in
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by olawalebabs(m): 6:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
signing inj
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 6:56pm On Mar 26, 2013
But I dont agree with having another thread now. It doesn't seem likely to achieve anything positive to me. But maybe, I'd get it if the workings of the other thread can be explained.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by maclatunji: 7:31pm On Mar 26, 2013
deols: But I dont agree with having another thread now. It doesn't seem likely to achieve anything positive to me. But maybe, I'd get it if the workings of the other thread can be explained.

Let us call the other (new) thread 'the shadow'. The essence of the shadow is to expose tbaba's idea to a greater number of Muslims whilst eliminating the risk of total diversion and derailment of our good start here.

We would work on the best ideas that emerge from the shadow and bring the most promising prospects interested in the project discovered from the shadow to join us here.

That way we have the initial involvement of the public in the idea development stage without losing focus or getting diverted. We can/should post on the shadow but it should be with the aim of coming back here to refine the ideas generated there here.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by tbaba1234: 7:45pm On Mar 26, 2013
In sha Allah... I would list the requirements for the back to school programme when i am less busy
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 9:08pm On Mar 26, 2013
I still dont see a reason for the other thread yet. But of course, this is just my opinion. Others can state theirs.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by kemiola89(f): 11:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
deols: I dont think it is front page material yet either.

The main people involved would have to be the people here whom we at least can trust. Other people should come in when the key decisions would have been made.

Of course we wont want to deal with a 101 suggestions wv every1 demanding why theirs isnt made d right choice.

It is better that we present to them what we must have agreed on. They can then be parts of it or not.
what do you mean "people we can trust"?
If i may ask, what are the criterium for chosing members of committee? I might not be a regular poster but i do wish i could in one way or the other contribute to this development. As a quiet observer are we eligible to nominate candidate (that's if the committee would be base on nomination)?
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by maclatunji: 12:02am On Mar 27, 2013
kemiola89: what do you mean "people we can trust"?
If i may ask, what are the criterium for chosing members of committee? I might not be a regular poster but i do wish i could in one way or the other contribute to this development. As a quiet observer are we eligible to nominate candidate (that's if the committee would be base on nomination)?

You raise valid points. This is one of the reasons I am suggesting the creation of the shadow thread. We can make our mistakes, come back here to correct them and get ideas from other Muslims. It may even be a Muslim that has never posted before that will have the brightest ideas, resources or clout to make this project a huge success.
Re: A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims by deols(f): 7:20am On Mar 27, 2013
kemiola89: what do you mean "people we can trust"?

I said that because money matter na serious matter o. And I didnt say they are d people we trust but 'can' trust considering that some people know each other beyond here. It is just my opinion.

This is still a thread that involves everyone, and if u are on this thread right now, u obviously saw a need to check on to this section and not by opportunity open the thread because it made homepage. I am talking of people who genuinely are interested in happenings on here and not segregating by the no of posts nor popularity.

In essence, you fall into d category I was talking about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How A Western Muslim Left Islam / Why Are Muslims Easily Brainwashed / The Importance Of Reading The Qur'an With Tajweed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.