Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,952 members, 7,835,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Gov.ortom's Defection:a Definition Of Political Greed Or The Peoples' Interest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov.ortom's Defection:a Definition Of Political Greed Or The Peoples' Interest (227 Views)

Is Defection A Constitutional Permissible Groud For Impeachment? / Deputy Governor's Defection; A Failed Move That Represents Ingratitude, Sabotage / Saraki’s Defection, A Relief To APC, Says FG Read More At: Https://www.vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gov.ortom's Defection:a Definition Of Political Greed Or The Peoples' Interest by Upritman(m): 11:44am On Jul 27, 2018
Governor Samuel Ortom has made another historic move again as the first APC Governor to announce his defection from the APC to the PDP.

This came after series of drama which began with claims of being given a "red card", becoming partyless, looking for a party that will accept and adopt him, having a closed door meeting with PDP Governors and leaders, having a similar meeting with Comrade Oshiomhole who currently heads the APC and claiming He is still a member of the party to his eventual exit which was preceded by an impeachment of the Speaker of the Benue State House of Assembly, and his replacement with a PDP leadership.

Gov.Ortom did not defect alone as he left with almost all the elected and appointed persons in the state including party executives from unit to state levels, federal, state and local lawmakers, council chairmen and other stalwarts of the party.

This was surely a heavy blow at the face of the APC in the Middle Belt State.

The defection came few hours after about 13 senators and 37 federal house of reps members also dumped the APC for the PDP.

Apart from Gov.Ortom, other governors expected to defect days ahead include Abdulfatai Ahmed of Kwara State and Gov.Tambuwal of Sokoto State.

Gov.Ortom had few months to the 2015 General Elections also defected from the PDP to the APC to contest the governorship primary election of the party after he was schemed out of the contest by his former now new party. This came despite serving as a Minister under the PDP presidency.

But what informed Gov.Ortom's decision to defect?
He traced his defection to someone giving him a red card out of the APC.
And Who was that referee that gave a sitting Governor a red card and succeeded in pushing him out of the APC?
Undoubtedly, he is Senataor George Akume, a former governor of Benue State and the only senator from the state still under the APC platform. Senator Akume is the kingmaker in Benue politics especially in the APC. The irreconcilable differences between him and Gov.Ortom caused his (Ortom's) exit from the APC.

It is alleged that Senator Akume is already rooting behind another candidature against Gov.Ortom.

How all these will play out will be revealed in 2019.

But was Gov.Ortom's defection in pursuit of his political greed or in the interest of the Benue People?

Emphatically, I believe it was purely a heightened demonstration of political greed.

Announcing his defection, Gov.Ortom had said "I'm too young to quit politics". This baffles me at the definition of a youth nowadays especially in an era when younger Nigerians are saying they too deserve to run for elective offices.

Be it as it may be, I think Gov.Ortom is really stretching his luck within a very short time. If He thinks, He can achieve a quick win like he did in 2015 after defecting from the PDP to APC, then He may just need to give a thought to some levels of fateful pessimism. As he may have a tough battle with leaders of the PDP who he has lambasted vehemently during his days in the APC. Will they completely hand over their structures, loyalty and party ticket to him on a plate of gold? What if He is tricked out of getting the PDP governorship ticket, will he still remain in the party or redefect? I think Nigerians are yet to see the final destinations of these "political prostitutes".

For me, Gov.Ortom missed out on the right time for him to have dumped the APC. Benue State has probably recorded the highest number of deaths under his tenure than ever before since creation. These deaths were hugely caused by suspected Fulani Herdsmen. While Gov.Ortom cried of helplessness, the killings continued and the Leader of his now former party did nothing enough to save Ortom's people. If Gov.Ortom was not more concerned about politics than his peoples' lives and property, that was the right time for him to have dumped the APC. But he didn't until he was allegedly given a "red card". This politics defined by advancement of greed and selfish agenda must be condemned intoto. For me there is nothing moral about the defection of Gov.Ortom to the PDP but in exercising his constitutional right of association, I cant help but wish him well. However, Benue People must be more concerned about their welfare and safety before and after the 2019 elections than falling for the greedy political schemes of any politician.

Source: http://www.suanusblog.com/2018/07/govortoms-defection-definition-of.html?m=1

Re: Gov.ortom's Defection:a Definition Of Political Greed Or The Peoples' Interest by Shelumiel: 11:52am On Jul 27, 2018
Allow 2019 decide that .

(1) (Reply)

Obaseki's Education Reform: Edo SUBEB Concludes Training Of Quality Assurance,.. / Linking Buhari To Benue's Impeachment Drama Is Paranoia, Says Presidency / Bauchi Board Member Dismissed For Associating With Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.