Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,763 members, 7,851,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:17 AM

Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! (539 Views)

Atiku Replies Afegbua: I Have Visited US Several Times, Never Been Detained / The Many Times Elzakzaky Has Been Detained By Nigerian Government / My Son-In-Law And Lawyer Have Been Detained - Atiku Abubakar Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by lingoafrica: 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2018
If you have not heard about Jones Abiri, it is high time you did.

Jones Abiri, a Nigerian journalist was first arrested in 2016 by Nigeria’s Department of State Service (DSS). According to a few media reports, Abiri, who is the publisher of Weekly Source newspaper, a local tabloid, is a journalist, who was allegedly arrested based on a story his platform published.

An online platform, Premium Times, recently reported that on July 21, 2016, a dozen heavily-armed agents of the DSS, arrested Jones Abiri, outside his office at 288 Chief Melford Okilo Expressway, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

They came in three cars, did not read him his rights and did not produce a warrant before handcuffing him, raiding his office, and taking him into custody.

According to the Bayelsa State chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), John Angese; “I was there when he (Jones Abiri) was taken away. I tried to ask what was the problem but I was rebuffed with their guns. I was threatened to be shot if I went any closer. Everybody was scared.”

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), The security service emailed a statement to Nigerian journalists on July 23, 2016, accusing Jones Abiri of being the leader of the separatist group Joint Revolutionary Council of the Joint Niger Delta Liberation Force.

Finish the article here http://lingoafrica.com/jones-abiri-has-been-detained-for-two-years-without-trial/
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by SadiqBabaSani: 9:00pm On Jul 30, 2018
tyrant in Asorock
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by FarahAideed: 9:07pm On Jul 30, 2018
So sad .. God help Nigerians please
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by Racoon(m): 9:08pm On Jul 30, 2018
Can the NUJ confront this lawless government that have kept one of its own in incarceration unjustly without trial To sad that the journalists among the aids in the presidency have abandon one of its own.
What about the human right groups & we common Nigerians.Lets fight or we will also be victim one day.

1 Like

Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by lingoafrica: 7:01am On Jul 31, 2018
The NUJ is silent and who can blame them?
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by ivandragon: 7:37am On Jul 31, 2018
just watch how people like 'DEmented O MELOn' would come & provide justification for this.

fact is, those vehemently praising pmb are people who have questionable traits.
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by lingoafrica: 1:18pm On Jul 31, 2018
You are right
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by nnaemeka38(m): 9:18pm On Jul 31, 2018
Keep applying
Re: Jones Abiri Has Been Detained For Two Years Without Trial! by lingoafrica: 9:17pm On Aug 01, 2018
nnaemeka38:
Keep applying

(1) (Reply)

Photos: DSS Lifts Siege On National Assembly / Osibanjo Watch Your Back. / A Biafran War Account: "I Attempted To Join The Boys Brigade At Age 10"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.