Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil (3332 Views)

Nigerian Economy Grew By 2.84 Percent In Q3 / Fayose : Nigerian Economy May Collapse In 3 Months!! / GDP Growth Drops To 6.23% In Third Quarter –NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2010
June 18 (Bloomberg) -- Nigeria’s economy grew 7.2 percent in the first quarter of the year, up from 4.5 percent in the same period a year earlier, as oil production increased following the restoration of peace in the Niger Delta.

Growth in the oil and natural gas industry was 3.2 percent in the three months compared with a decline of 8.1 percent a year ago, the National Bureau of Statistics said in a statement e-mailed from the capital, Abuja, today.

A drop in rebel activities in the oil-rich delta since October helped to increase production by 9.6 percent during the quarter to 202.4 million barrels.

“The oil sector story is particularly emphatic, showing a complete reversal” from the previous year, Pabina Yinkere, a Lagos-based analyst with Access Bank Plc, said in a telephone interview.

Oil and gas account for 16 percent of gross domestic product in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country and the fifth-biggest source of U.S. oil imports. Companies including Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Eni SpA, operate joint ventures with the state-owned Nigerian National Petroleum Corp.

Militants who say they are battling for more of the region’s resources called for an indefinite cease-fire in October as fighters accepted an amnesty offer by then-President Umaru Yar’Adua.

Non-oil industries grew 8.2 percent from 7.9 percent a year earlier, according to the statistics bureau. Agriculture, which accounted for 42 percent of GDP last year, grew by 5.5 percent.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-18/nigerian-economy-grew-7-23-in-first-quarter-on-oil-update1-.html
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 8:32pm On Jun 18, 2010
Now,it was said that our economy would grow by 7% and it grew by 7.23%,
And oil is 16% of our GDP just 16% if our govenment would diversify our economy then we will have a better GDP + militants would not be there
We have a vibrant and an upcoming economy
Let government just give us light even 6000 MW then from 7% it will nothing less than 10
No matter what,we have a good econlmy and vision 2020 20 is VERY realisible -with light i mean
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by seanet02: 8:48pm On Jun 18, 2010
And what effect has all there jargons made on the common people. All there useless figures are for the poverty development party members.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by EzeUche(m): 8:51pm On Jun 18, 2010
It means nothing when the nation's coffers continue to be looted.

Show me paved roads and stable electricity then Nigeria will have my respect.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 9:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
Ezeuche and seanet02 it means we can achieve vision 2020 20 and we have a good economy
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by seanet02: 9:59pm On Jun 18, 2010
@poster. You are talking rubbish, are you a pdp man? Answer that before i say anything again
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Ikengawo: 10:26pm On Jun 18, 2010
this thread is proof positive nigerians aren't smart, at all.

you spend 2-5 years on and internet forum complaining there's no development in nigeria
i guy posts statistics of your economy growing at 7.23% which is well above global average and one of the highest in the world due to the recession
the result? you attack him at start talking about roads.
mind you your not in nigeria to see what the roads look like, you're just mad that in 1984 when you left the roads weren't good.
to a nigerian they'll always be stuck on that 1984 image and will never let it go, anything that counters it will be met with insults as if you're insulting them. this is proof that they're stupid.

even good news is bad to them. maybe god is punishing you people because you can't appreciate it when he gifts you.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 10:51pm On Jun 18, 2010
^
Yert people in your village are getting poorer? Rejoice! Funny people, an article that says oil accounts for only 16%, instead of the 90+% we all know cannot be trusted. It is simply quack journalism from those who can't even spot Nigeria on a labelled map.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 11:06pm On Jun 18, 2010
^
Yert people in your village are getting poorer? Rejoice! Funny people, an article that says oil accounts for only 16%, instead of the 90+% we all know cannot be trusted. It is simply quack journalism from those who can't even spot Nigeria on a labelled map.

You are the retard here. . I thought u have been banned from commenting on Economic issues. .stick to politics

Oil accounts for 16% of Nigerias GDP ok?

Oil also accounts for 90% of exports ok?

Nigerias GDP is about $210 billion(Nominal)

oil exports are about $30 billion a yr (2009 figures)

get it?. . . GDP and exports are 2 different things. . . Financial illiterate
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 11:08pm On Jun 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

You are the retard here. . I thought u have been banned from commenting on Economic issues. .stick to politics

Oil accounts for 16% of Nigerias GDP ok?

Oil also accounts for 90% of exports ok?

Nigerias GDP is about $210 billion(Nominal)

oil exports are about $30 billion a yr (2009 figures)

get it?. . . GDP and exports are 2 different things. . . Financial illiterate

Where you born a fool or are you just a good actor? You always storm in and talk rubbish from every orifice. What a waste!
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 11:13pm On Jun 18, 2010
Final time i am posting this Chart so u can get it into your thick skull. . olodo rabata
Its not everything u have to comment on. . stick to Politics,romance and Tribalism section  shocked cool

Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Eddeux(m): 11:16pm On Jun 18, 2010
Hmm, I imagine if there are no distubances in oil production in the coming quarters, and if non-oil industries continue to expand then Nigeria should see GDP growth of around my guess 6.5% - 8% (at most, like if GDP grows over 8% in the next 3 quaters). That's fantastic! Most developed economies, and some developing (like Brazil) aren't even expected to see growth around those levels this year.  grin Still there is much more than can be improved, but that is still an impressive growth rate for a country with serious infrastructure problems.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 11:37pm On Jun 18, 2010
seanet02:

@poster. You are talking rubbish, are you a pdp man? Answer that before i say anything again
Am not i hate PDP as much as you do,but i can say i am a 'positive' nigerian and patriotic also

From the chart above(and my post),wow i didnt even know oil wasnt contributing much to our GDP,Agriculture does, Its high time governemnt STEP up the agric game and no 1 by passing yaraduas Land reform bill

Ikengawo:

this thread is proof positive nigerians aren't smart, at all.

you spend 2-5 years on and internet forum complaining there's no development in nigeria
i guy posts statistics of your economy growing at 7.23% which is well above global average and one of the highest in the world due to the recession
the result? you attack him at start talking about roads.
mind you your not in nigeria to see what the roads look like, you're just mad that in 1984 when you left the roads weren't good.
to a nigerian they'll always be stuck on that 1984 image and will never let it go, anything that counters it will be met with insults as if you're insulting them. this is proof that they're silly.

even good news is bad to them. maybe god is punishing you people because you can't appreciate it when he gifts you.
Abi woo,and the most annoying part is that most of them dont live in Nigeria. they dont know whats on ground(not sayin no bad roads)
Remember the thread of us being the 33rd largest economy, See good news ooh but people start complainig,criticising and throwing insults here and there Thats for good news, NL is full of senseless,negative and unpatrotic nigerians and on that same thread of the 33rd largest economy they said is a lie that ghana economy is better than our ours without light,infrastructure,security e.t.c and forbes said ghana is one of the worlds worst managed economy,
What am saying is this-we have a good economy and it can be better -simple,
At lleast,one good news to celebrate
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 11:52pm On Jun 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

Final time i am posting this Chart so u can get it into your thick skull. . olodo rabata
Its not everything u have to comment on. . stick to Politics,romance and Tribalism section  shocked cool

You can post any chart you like. It doesn't prevent anyone concluding the obvious, which is that you are a bit simple (a kind way of saying stup!d). grin
I will give you an example, so you can realise it yourself. Here goes;

When others post supporting charts, pictures or text; they provide a link so that interested parties can verify. But you go to your kitchen table and knock up some ugly image to post here, thinking everyone will be bowled over, because, wow! He posted an image! Fool!

Show me the CBN figures.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 11:55pm On Jun 18, 2010
@Xterra2
Nigerians frustration is the power issue.  .If Govt(with help from private sector) can fix that then am sure most Nigerians will complain less
However that is no excuse for the constant negativity i see  here

To be frank with u the first time i got to london even USA i didnt see what the big deal was.  .
not to talk of places like mexico(which i have visited). . .we are all developing countries

Its not like u are coming from sudan or Niger. .

I mean Nigeria had a stock market in the early 1970s(most african countries dont have one today)
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 12:02am On Jun 19, 2010
You can post any chart you like. It doesn't prevent anyone concluding the obvious, which is that you are a bit simple (a kind way of saying stup!d).
I will give you an example, so you can realise it yourself. Here goes;

When others post supporting charts, pictures or text; they provide a link so that interested parties can verify. But you go to your kitchen table and knock up some ugly image to post here, thinking everyone will be bowled over, because, wow! He posted an image! Fool!

Show me the CBN figures.

Beaf just give it up will u. .The CBN has severally told u Agriculture comprises 42% of GDP
Sanusi talks about this all the time. . ok go below to NBS website its right there on the first page
However this is pedestrian elementary knowledge someone who claims to be educated should know

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by SkyBlue1: 12:10am On Jun 19, 2010
paddy_lo:

@Xterra2
Nigerians frustration is the power issue.  .If Govt(with help from private sector) can fix that then am sure most Nigerians will complain less
However that is no excuse for the constant negativity i see  here

To be frank with u the first time i got to london even USA i didnt see what the big deal was.  .
not to talk of places like mexico(which i have visited). . .we are all developing countries

Its not like u are coming from sudan or Niger. .

I mean Nigeria had a stock market in the early 1970s(most african countries dont have one today)

Power is a huge deal but the frustration goes waaaaayyyy beyond that, so let us not oversimplify issues.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 12:16am On Jun 19, 2010
Power is a huge deal but the frustration goes waaaaayyyy beyond that, so let us not try and simplify issues.

am sure there are other issues,but u guys should quit talking like other countries are heaven cause its not
and anyone telling u that is str8 up lying to u

emigrate and see the stress ppl face here.  .am not talking AFRICANS in the west
am talking regular citizens.  .

For example in MEXICO over 22,000 ppl have been killed since only 2006 in just the U.S border region of the country
cause of drug wars,corruption,police brutuality and so on. .

U wont find a mexican who isnt stressed about the situation. .

dont think your situation is the worst cause there are lots of ppl on this earth that got it worse than u. . .true story
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by SkyBlue1: 12:23am On Jun 19, 2010
paddy_lo:

am sure there are other issues,but u guys should quit talking like other countries are heaven cause its not
and anyone telling u that is str8 up lying to u

emigrate and see the stress ppl face here.  .am not talking AFRICANS in the west
am talking regular citizens.  .

For example in MEXICO over 22,000 ppl have been killed since only 2006 in just the U.S border region of the country
cause of drug wars,corruption,police brutuality and so on. .

U wont find a mexican who isnt stressed about the situation. .

dont think your situation is the worst cause there are lots of ppl on this earth that got it worse than u. . .true story

No need to state the obvious, I would rather set Nigeria loftier goals than being better than Niger republic instead of the 'one eyed man in the land of the blind' situation you are suggesting. You might say look at Niger and Somalia, I say look at Brazil, look at Singapore, look at China. If Nigeria would rather compare itself with countries in the calibre you mention then it should stop boring the whole world with the claims of being "Giant of Africa" already, we are getting extremely bored of it; na we get mouth pass. The quality of life in Nigeria needs to improve and excuses would not do anymore.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 1:09am On Jun 19, 2010
No need to state the obvious, I would rather set Nigeria loftier goals than being better than Niger republic instead of the 'one eyed man in the land of the blind' situation you are suggesting. You might say look at Niger and Somalia, I say look at Brazil, look at Singapore, look at China. If Nigeria would rather compare itself with countries in the calibre you mention then it should stop boring the whole world with the claims of being "Giant of Africa" already, we are getting extremely bored of it; na we get mouth pass. The quality of life in Nigeria needs to improve and excuses would not do anymore.

why dont u emigrate to brazil,singapore and china. . . .see how things are for u there as a black person. . .

These countries u mention,have had over 20yrs of growing rapidly. . .

Nigerias economy collapsed btw 1980 - 2000. . a span of 20yrs
and only returned to growth in 2001 Pls see link. . . .

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:NGA&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48&hl=en&dl=en

The point is your economy is growing at 7% plus. . .It takes growth at this level for a long period of time
to get an improved standard of living. . .

and if u must compare with Brazil,china or singapore. . then at least start from 2001
cause the military leaders u had for over 20yrs(1980 - 2000),were brainless idiots

sorry but thats were we stand. . i look forward,and its going to get better from here
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by SkyBlue1: 1:29am On Jun 19, 2010
paddy_lo:

why dont u emigrate to brazil,singapore and china. . . .see how things are for u there as a black person. . .

These countries u mention,have had over 20yrs of growing rapidly. . .

Nigerias economy collapsed btw 1980 - 2000. . a span of 20yrs
and only returned to growth in 2001 Pls see link. . . .

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:NGA&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48&hl=en&dl=en

The point is your economy is growing at 7% plus. . .It takes growth at this level for a long period of time
to get an improved standard of living. . .

and if u must compare with Brazil,china or singapore. . then at least start from 2001
cause the military leaders u had for over 20yrs(1980 - 2000),were brainless idiots

sorry but thats were we stand. . i look forward,and its going to get better from here

And what makes you think I am not looking forward?? Looking forward does not mean I have to whitewash issues to make myself feel better. I did not lambast the 7.23% growth, was simply stating the obvious that real conditions on the ground and economic growth could be better if government actually took things seriously. With the huge market Nigeria has, the oil, etc, it seems to me government does not really have to do that much to get such growth rates because people know Nigeria is a huge market and good place to invest (even if very high risk). Nigerians simply need to demand better because the potential is still hugely unfulfilled and at the end of the day 7.23% growth though laudable does not translate to security, power, electoral reform, clean water, housing, improved infrastructure, etc. So with that in mind what does 7.23% mean to the average guy on the street? The silver lining seems to be a very few state governors like Fashola and Amaechi who seem to be doing their job. Apart from that, on the federal level, things are still bleak and disappointing.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 1:52am On Jun 19, 2010
And what makes you think I am not looking forward?? Looking forward does not mean I have to whitewash issues to make myself feel better. I did not lambast the 7.23% growth, was simply stating the obvious that real conditions on the ground and economic growth could be better if government actually took things seriously. With the huge market Nigeria has, the oil, etc, it seems to me government does not really have to do that much to get such growth rates because people know Nigeria is a huge market and good place to invest (even if very high risk). Nigerians simply need to demand better because the potential is still hugely unfulfilled and at the end of the day 7.23% growth though laudable does not translate to security, power, electoral reform, clean water, housing, improved infrastructure, etc. So with that in mind what does 7.23% mean to the average guy on the street? The silver lining seems to be a very few state governors like Fashola and Amaechi who seem to be doing their job. Apart from that, on the federal level, things are still bleak and disappointing.

Thats the problem. . Nigeria is too big to be micro-managed and administered from a central Federal location

No nation on earth does that

The things u mention,Security,Power,Water,Housing,Infrastructure are not supposed to be provided by the federal Govt
The federal Govt does not provide them in the countries u mention,namely Brazil,singapore and so on. .

So the next step is to give more powers to the states
In areas of Power generation and distribution
and in other areas like security,Infrastructure,water and so on states like Lagos are doing well

Also the private sector has to play a more active role
and before Nigerians start demanding they should also be willing to pay taxes as at when due

cause thats how its done in those places u mention

but yea we could be growing at 10+ plus,structural impediments like poor electricity probably takes 3-4% out of growth
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 2:10am On Jun 19, 2010
Looking forward does not mean I have to whitewash issues to make myself feel better. I did not lambast the 7.23% growth, [b]was simply stating the obvious that real conditions on the ground and economic growth could be better if government actually took things seriously

^^
and do u want to know the role of the federal Govt should be?

1. Provide and fund the Army,Navy,Airforce and intelligience agencies
2. Provide a stable Macro-economic environment through CBN and Finance Ministries(Monetary and Fiscal policies)
3. Fund Judiciary at Federal level(EFCC,Anti corruption and so on)
4. Write clear laws that tell u the rules of the game,and then enforce those laws
whether they are Banking laws,Free trade Zone laws,Petroleum Industry bill,Power sector reforms and so on
5. Establish a way to provide social security to the poorest in our midsts
6. Poverty reduction schemes(only for the poorest)
7. Stay in Abuja and Fight(thats what politicians do)

The above pretty much sums up what i expect the federal Govt to be engaged in
The next things on the Agenda should be passing of that P.I.B bill and then Power sector reforms

N.N.P.C should be privatized(Govt can still hold a minority 35% stake) and listed on the NSE
the various oil Joint Ventures should be privatized and listed also
The N.L.N.G should be partially listed
The unbundled PHCN COMPANIES SHOULD BE LISTED

All these new companies should go and raise money from the Local and international markets to fund rapid growth and expansion
U will then see money flowing into Nigeria and Refineries/Power plants being built left right and centre
and more Jobs will follow

For the agric sector,the CBN,through banks should channel more funds to farmers
especially cash crop farmers like cocoa and so on. .

The state Govts should also borrow from the above template,and also liaise with private sector

Do all the above well Then u are pretty much on cruise control
although the Govt is doing numbers 1,2, and 7 well right now
it can improve on 3,4 and 6

as for number 5( Establish a way to provide social security to the poorest in our midsts),i see no hope of that happening in our life time[/b]
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Ibime(m): 2:29am On Jun 19, 2010
Interesting discourse between paddylo and Beaf. . . . Ill go with Paddylo on this one. . . . oil should be less than 20% of Nigerias GDP. . . . however, if we take away oil from the economy, all other components of GDP would have collapsed. . . Govt spending, private consumption etc. . .
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 3:29am On Jun 19, 2010
Interesting discourse between paddylo and Beaf. . . . Ill go with Paddylo on this one. . . . oil should be less than 20% of Nigerias GDP. . . . however, if we take away oil from the economy, all other components of GDP would have collapsed. . . Govt spending, private consumption etc. . .

Not necessarily true. . as in 2009 oil prices collapsed,Niger delta problems cut output to less than 1/3rd and GDP still grew 5%

Nigerian Govt now Finances a huge part of its budget and deficits from the bond Market

There are also lots of Money coming into the country through the capital markets

Personally i would want oil to continue to shrink as a percentage of our GDP as it grows

because it would mean we have begun to diversify

and be Like Indonesia which went from a big exporter of oil and member of OPEC
to a net importer of Oil and pulling out of OPEC. .

It will show a more mature economy
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by mensdept: 4:26am On Jun 19, 2010
blah blah blah, we have read these things before, even during Abacha's time.

Nigeria's economy can even grow as much as 50%, yet  I guarantee no change in areas outside of Lagos and Abuja. Ibadan roads, Aba roads, and Bauchi roads, well Bauchi roads may actually improve lol.

We need a total revolution, whether it begins with soccer or agriculture, in one city or one state.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by marvix(m): 7:23am On Jun 19, 2010
Paddy_lo you are just too much, you are a completely educated literate who is informed and uunderstands the dynamics of the modern world unlike beaf and co who are partialy educated illiterates who think they know but they actuall dont know.

A lot of times I have had to complain about a set of people who I described as educated illiterates and it was termed an insult but I am sure you would have felt my pain when the only thing guys talk about is roads and electricity like these were the basics.

The truth is that failure in Infrastructure is a symptom of failure in our nation, those are not the real problems, the Economy and good governance is key, a government is not supposed to celebrate road construction, because these are peoples job to do, in any advanced economy no govt would waste resources commisioning 100km of roads, although I appreciate where we are coming from but the earlier we pay more attention to the technical aspects like the 7points you raised then we would be able to appreciate developments in the nation.

The problems Nigeria face as a nation today is the result of the hard work our senseless rulers over the past 25yrs had put in place, consider Babangida failing to improve on power when we had a good percentage of our population in the rural areas, then those in the urban areas enjoyed power, but now who is in the villages, nobody as everyone has run to the towns and cities to enjoy amenities like power but because laws, plans and policies on developing the power sector were not put in place that is why now we have degenerated to a generator economy and if we dont allow the present administration articulate the 7point agenda properly and align it with the vision20;2020 by 2020we may not even be able to run a generator economy, may be privatise the country so that foreign investors can buy it up and make it profitable!!!lol.

Paddy my only disagreement with you is giving the states more responsibilities, the framework isnt there yet, look at water states are directly responsible for supplying water yet do we have good water supply in any of the states, Nigerians have learnt to sink their boreholes and use them, when I was growing up, you cant pay to get water even if you dont have but I guess we have privatised the sector so anyone who can sink borehole can as well make profit selling water from his house and these people pay no tax on this buisness.

In my opinion if this administration can get the 7point agenda as a national agenda and national vision, adhere to the rules of the game as it is now, we can move a long way because Nigeria just needs to just do very little at it will be magnified, we call for electoral reforms, but then I ask does the 2006 electoral act permit for ballot snatching?, does it permit for scores to be announce from Abuja? we are disobeying the rules as it is now and that is the real problem, let us try and follow the rules then the rules that impede us let us follow the due process of amending those rules once we do that it would be impossible for anyone to corruptly enrich themselves and did I forget people like beaf should go back and really study so we reduce the number of half baked graduates aka educated illiterate or misinformed analyst!!!
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by seanet02: 8:50am On Jun 19, 2010
while i do accept that this things work and foreign countries follow their economic plans to the latter, but I cant blame those posting against there thing here, because our leaders will be talking about gdp and per capital income on tv and the media, only for them to embezzle whopping amounts of dollars meant to make meaningful impact on the citizens, and who tell you this statistics are true? Especially if you consider it coming from Nigerian officials, have you forgotten what soludo told in the recapitalisation era that our banks are healthy and have financial stability, hope you are conscious when sanusi came on board. Dont trust any Nigerian official figures. If this thing is working as it does in the european and developed nations which normally increases the purchasing power of the citizens as an increase in gdp means can not come without more productivity which means more jobs. Can you tell me the industrial utilization level of ng and the number of graduates getting jobs every year. We are no fools here like your politicians godfathers
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by SkyBlue1: 9:22am On Jun 19, 2010
paddy_lo:

Thats the problem. . Nigeria is too big to be micro-managed and administered from a central Federal location

No nation on earth does that

The things u mention,Security,Power,Water,Housing,Infrastructure are not supposed to be provided by the federal Govt
The federal Govt does not provide them in the countries u mention,namely Brazil,singapore and so on. .

So the next step is to give more powers to the states
In areas of Power generation and distribution
and in other areas like security,Infrastructure,water and so on states like Lagos are doing well

Also the private sector has to play a more active role
and before Nigerians start demanding they should also be willing to pay taxes as at when due

cause thats how its done in those places u mention

but yea we could be growing at 10+ plus,structural impediments like poor electricity probably takes 3-4% out of growth[/b]

Such things are arguably not supposed to be handled by the federal government but in Nigeria they are, so you see why I say we don't need to white wash issues? There is no need for the essay because the simple truth is the federal government is too big and power needs to be decentralised by the federal government giving it up so we have a more grass root oriented democracy closer to the people and hence more in tune with the various and particular needs of the different constituences. I sincerely think the solution to the power situation would simply be abolition of this whole rule which forces states to pump whatever power that is generated by them into the federal grid and such would take action at the federal level. By so doing states that have been serious about power generation can get 24hour power, no body should be hindering the other (Rivers would probably be among the first to get 24hours power due to all the investment in that sector).

Private sector this private sector that. For the private sector (the Nigerian private sector) to play a more important role in the development of the country we need stronger banks that have the capacity to fund enterprise and innovation, as well as major government projects. Rivers State governor has ambitious plans but the problem has been funding of some of these government projects which can in turn improve conditions for the private sector to thrive. This is currently not the case in Nigeria and in Lagos Micro Finance banks have had to be formed purely for the purpose of funding expansion and start up of small businesses. I am simply stating the way things are in Nigeria and I did not just say 'Singapore, Brazil' etc without knowing a some of the structures which makes real growth thrive in such areas. You see how I used the term 'real growth'? Growth which affects the real sector of the economy and hence people on the streets. That is what Nigerians want, not more news on how GDP has improved when things seem to look thesame or even worse.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Mariory(m): 3:35pm On Jun 19, 2010
marvix:

Paddy_lo you are just too much, you are a completely educated literate who is informed and understands the dynamics of the modern world unlike beaf and co who are partialy educated illiterates who think they know but they actually dont know.

Well said. I completely agree. And rather than educate themselves they would rather wallow in their ignorance. Although they do say ignorance is bliss.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by ziga: 3:42pm On Jun 19, 2010
I agree with paddy_lo's views.

People who are saying that there is a disconnect between the economic growth on paper and the actual situation on ground are only stating the obvious.

And where does that lead us? Nowhere.

In life one thing leads to another, if there is no economic growth, we can't even dream of making situations in Naija better, but paddy_lo is only stating that there has been progress with evidence.

So instead of all these "one country is better than Naija" talk. We can talk progressive, about how to link our economic growth to better standards of living.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by ADint(m): 7:02am On Jun 20, 2010
I find myself agreeing with paddy_lo here again. . . cheesy (we have to do something about his 'irrational' anti-Sanusi stance though grin).

When I hear people say Nigeria is 'rich' and then point to our oil revenue, I find that very laughable. . . about $30 - 40 billion a year or so from oil for a country of 150 million people?!! Do they realise that the US produces close to 10 million barrels a day compared to our 2 million? You hardly hear any comments about that, the US even ends up having to IMPORT another 10 million barrels a day to meet domestic demand!

Make no mistake - Nigeria's economy is growing and growing fast, power, security and other infrastructural issues are gradually been tackled, with rapid development expected in these areas in the near future. This growth though is not going to be from oil and gas - they would be enablers in some form, but private sector initiatives in agriculture, manufacturing, telecoms ('Main One' and 'Glo 1' as examples), mining, financial re-engineering e.t.c, would be the major driving force here.

It may suprise some that Nigeria will have little or no oil to export in the not too distant future. . . as every single drop will be consumed internally!. . . further down the road we would most definitely become an OIL IMPORTING Nation! - unless other energy sources become available. Of course by the time we get to this stage there will be daily long queues at Nigerian Embassies worldwide grin (not too, too far off though).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fg To Create Ministry Of Information Technology - Sambo / The Deputy Governor Of Delta State, Prof. Amos Utuama Is d Most Heartless Leader / Tinubu Father Not Yoruba,Why He Stole All Lagos Money,shoperite is South africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.