Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? (15644 Views)

Forum Strictly! For Jehovah's Witnesses!!! / A Thread For Jehovah's Witnesses. / A Question For Jehovah's Witnesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 6:12pm On Mar 28, 2007
Is Allah not the same thing as Jehovah God?? Remember Abraham had 2 sons; Ishmael and Isaac. The descendants of Ishmael are the Arabs and they still worship the God Ishmael the son of Abraham worshipped then. The Bible even stated it that Jehovah God blessed Ishmael and was with him through out. My question is ,why do christians say that muslims do not worship the true God, Jehovah?? was the God of Abraham, Isaac and jacob different from the God of Ishmael?? if there is no difference then muslims worship the same God with the christians and prefer to call him using an arabic word Allah.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 6:23pm On Mar 28, 2007
ishmael:

Is Allah not the same thing as Jehovah God?? Remember Abraham had 2 sons; Ishmael and Isaac. The descendants of Ishmael are the Arabs and they still worship the God Ishmael the son of Abraham worshipped then.

Please can you provide where in the Bible that Ishmael the son of Abraham worshipped God?
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2007
stimulus:

Please can you provide where in the Bible that Ishmael the son of Abraham worshipped God?

You must be out of your mind; Did ishmael not worship the same God as his father Abraham, even before isaac was born?? Please you too provide for me where in the Bible Abraham or isaac worshipped God??

Sorry Ishmael worshipped the idol his father Abraham worshipped. Nonesense!!!
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by Backslider(m): 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2007
@Ishmael

The Use of Allah can be tolerated a times because Words Could be Generic Checkout Paul the Apostle, However it is becoming more frightful to do this.

When Paul met some people they were worshiping the "Unknown God" He had to tell them that they were supposed to be worshiping the Lord because he was unknown to them.

We see that the allah in the quran is a false god worshiped by Muslims. Just as Catholics and in other denominations you have false jesus you can have false worship of him we however know that the Allah is derivatory (if there any word like that) I know that the Arabs say Allah is the Supreme being. I know for a fact that they are worshiping something they don't understand. Because they use words like most merciful etc. this attribute is to the Triune God.

We just need to know his Character this will differentiate betwixt the two.

JUST AS YOU WILL DIFFERENT THE REAL JESUS FROM THE FAKE ONE.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 7:27pm On Mar 28, 2007
ishmael:

You must be out of your mind;

Thank you - my question was simple enough.

ishmael:

Did ishmael not worship the same God as his father Abraham, even before isaac was born??

That is why I asked you to please provide texts in the Bible for that.

ishmael:

Please you too provide for me where in the Bible Abraham or isaac worshipped God??

Dem plenty:

Gen. 13:4 - Unto the place of the altar, which he had made there at the first: and there Abram called on the name of the LORD.

Gen. 13:18 - Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar unto the LORD.

Gen 17:3 - And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying. . .

Gen. 20:17 - So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.

Gen. 26:5 - Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Gen. 22:5 - And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad [i.e., Isaac] will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

ishmael:

Sorry Ishmael worshipped the idol his father Abraham worshipped. Nonesense!!!

Alright - that is why Ishmael is still worshipping idols today, according to his mockery:

Gen. 21:9 - And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.

1 Like

Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by batu: 8:09pm On Mar 28, 2007
ishmael:

Is Allah not the same thing as Jehovah God?? Remember Abraham had 2 sons; Ishmael and Isaac.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The Bible even stated it that Jehovah God blessed Ishmael and was with him through out.
My question is ,why do christians say that muslims do not worship the true God, Jehovah?? was the God of Abraham, Isaac and jacob different from the God of Ishmael?? if there is no difference then muslims worship the same God with the christians and prefer to call him using an arabic word Allah.

@Ishmael,
Where in the Al-Quran was it written that Muhammed/Muslims worship the God of Ishmael?? Yes, you are right that Ishmael is the progenitor of Arabs
Hagar raised an altar to worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (same God who 'rejected' Ishmael as heir) after God spoke to her concerning the baby she had i.e Ishmael. (Gen 15-17)

Now to answer your question directly: 'Allah' is an Arabic generic name meaning 'The God'; but which God?. Arab Christian can call God 'Allah' and they know they are referring to 'Jehovah' God (i.e specific or brand name). If there are Arab peoples who worship Ogun, the generic name for their 'god' in their language will still be 'allah', but they refer to 'Ogun' (specific or brand name). As such, the generic name for the god of muslims is also 'allah' but this god is not the same as Jehovah. To be specific, the generic name for the god of muslims is 'Allah' but the specific name of their god is 'Hubal'.(the moon God of fertility; this is why the moon crescent and star is displayed on top of all mosques).

So, 'allah' can be the Arabic word fo god, but to muslims allah does nor refer to Jehovah.

1 Like

Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 28, 2007
ishmael:

The Bible even stated it that Jehovah God blessed Ishmael and was with him through out.

Gen 16: 11And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.
12And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

Is there any wonder that Ishmael and his descendants are the world's greatest problem to date?
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 6:50am On Mar 29, 2007
@Davidylan

Is that the only part of Genesis that talks about ishmael??  Read Genesis very well and you will see the blessings the God of Abraham gave to ishmael for being a seed (offspring) of Abraham. Genesis 21:20 even states that "God was with him as he lived and grew up in the wilderness and became an archer". Which God was the Bible referring to?? Is it not the same Jehovah God that his father Abraham worship(ped)?? If Ishmael's God was an idol then Abraham was the originator of the idol god, and the Bible clearly states that it was Jehovah God that Abraham and his household worshipped and not an idol god. even the mother of Ishmael (Hargar) who he lived with in the wilderness worshipped Jehovah God, so how comes his descendants did not worship the same God they worshipped?? Did the descendants of Isaac (the Jews) not worshipped Jehovah God?? if they did then the descendants of Ishmael (Ishmaelites) also worshipped Jehovah God. Quote from the Bible and tell us where Ishmael and his mother Hagar worshipped a god other than the Jehovah God Abraham worshipped then will i agree that the muslims do not worship the same God as the Jews and Christians.

1 Like

Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 8:08am On Mar 29, 2007
It was for Abraham's sake that God was with Ishmael, and not because Ishmael worshipped Jehovah -

'And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee! And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him. And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation. But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.' - Gen. 17:18-21.

Ishmael was blessed because of Abraham's prayer for him, and not because it was recorded that Ishmael worshipped Jehovah. Just because God was with him does not bear any substance to prove that Ishmael worshipped Him. Jesus stated that God "maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust" (Matt. 5:45), not because evil and unjust people worship Him.

The fruit of Ishmael's non-existent worship that you suppose in Gen. 21:20 is only a fulfillment of Gen. 16:12 -- 'And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.' We are not told that his mother Hagar worshipped Jehovah, other than that the LORD heard her affliction (Gen. 16:11).

The case of Ishmael's disdain against the covenant lineage of Isaac is revealed in Gal. 4:24-25 - 'Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.' This antagonism from Ishmael is still evident today: 'But as then he (i.e., Ishmael) that was born after the flesh persecuted him (i.e., Isaac) that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.' (Gal. 4:29).

It is not stated that Ishmael worshipped Jehovah; and the argument that he did is only an imaginative inference that is forced into the Bible for a verse that does not exist.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 8:46am On Mar 29, 2007
@stimulus

Can God be with people who do not worship him?? was God with Cain?? Was God with Pharoah?? Was God with Goliath?? The Bible did not tell us that Ishmael did not worship God. Did Isaac worship God?? Can u quote from the Bible to show that Isaac worshipped God.
Yes, God blessed Ishmael because he was Abraham's son and He was going to make a great nation for Abraham through him too. God also blessed Isaac because he too was Abrahams son, so what are you talking about?? is it because the Bible records very little about Ishmael?? Even at that the Bible tells us that Jehovah God blessed Ishmael and was with him because he worshipped him and not because he was just Abraham's son. Ishmael and his mother Hagar worshipped the true God that Abraham worshipped, simple!! Q.E.D.

1 Like

Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by babs787(m): 9:40am On Mar 29, 2007
grin grin grin

I am even laughing here based on the posts everyone pasted. In order not tyo waste time, I will reply each and every one's post one after the other.

@backslider, batu, davidylan, stimulus

I have few questions for you

1. What language is the arabic bible written?

2. What language did Jesus speak?

3. Which word did Jesus used to represent God in his language?

4. Dis Jesus ever hear the word 'God' during his time?

5. What is really God's name?

6. Which is closer to Jesus' language, Allah or God?

Maybe if you dont know, early Jews in Palestines had the word :"In the Name of Allah, ," written at the top of their shops.

ok

1 Like

Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 9:49am On Mar 29, 2007
@ishmael,

ishmael:

Can God be with people who do not worship him?? was God with Cain?? Was God with Pharoah?? Was God with Goliath?? The Bible did not tell us that Ishmael did not worship God.

Would God have been with Ishmael without Abraham's prayer for him? Where is it written that Ishmael worshipped God before and even after Abraham's death? Just simply give me the verse instead of ferreting far-fetched arguments.

Indeed, God has been with people who do not acknowledge Him simply because of the intercession of others on their behalf - and that is what the Bible records in Ishmael's case.

As in the case of Sodom and Gomorrah, they would not have suffered the judgement that fell if there were a few righteous men in those cities: 'And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.' (Gen. 18:32).

Again, Laban who was an idolater (Gen. 31:30), realized that God had blessed him simply for Jacob's sake: 'And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake' (Gen. 30:27; see also vs. 30). I have hinted earlier that just because God blesses evil and unjust people does not mean that such people worship or acknowledge Him (Matt. 5:45).

ishmael:

Did Isaac worship God?? Can u quote from the Bible to show that Isaac worshipped God.

I've done that before - if you missed it, scroll up and read again. In addition, here:

Gen. 48:15 - 'And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day'

Gen 25:21 - 'And Isaac intreated the LORD for his wife, because she was barren: and the LORD was intreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.'

Gen 26:24-25 - 'And the LORD appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake. And he (i.e., Isaac) builded an altar there, and called upon the name of the LORD, and pitched his tent there: and there Isaac's servants digged a well.'

ishmael:

Yes, God blessed Ishmael because he was Abraham's son and He was going to make a great nation for Abraham through him too. God also blessed Isaac because he too was Abrahams son, so what are you talking about??

The difference is that Isaac worshipped God by his own personal commitment, and not based on what his father had done for him.

Your argument that Ishmael did the same is unsubstantiated; and that is why you've only been running round in circles. You can rest your case when you provide texts for your argument for Ishmael worshipping the LORD, Jehovah God.

ishmael:

is it because the Bible records very little about Ishmael??

Nope. Even one verse about Ishmael worshipping the LORD would suffice.

ishmael:

Even at that the Bible tells us that Jehovah God blessed Ishmael and was with him because he worshipped him and not because he was just Abraham's son.

Again, provide your texts for the assumption that Ishmael worshipped Jehovah God. Just because God blessed Laban did not equate to Laban's worshipping Jehovah, for Gen. 31:30 reveals his true devotion to his idolatory. If God blessed Ishmael (even as He did), it does not establish your assumption that he worshipped Jehovah, but rather because of Abraham's intercession for him (Gen. 17:18-21).

ishmael:

Ishmael and his mother Hagar worshipped the true God that Abraham worshipped, simple!! Q.E.D.

Your "simple!! Q.E.D." assumption is hanging in the air. Why is it so difficult for you to provide texts for your arguments?
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 9:57am On Mar 29, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

Maybe if you don't know, early Jews in Palestines had the word :"In the Name of Allah, ," written at the top of their shops.

Tell me that "Allah" is Hebrew, then you would have made a point in your linguistic misconceptions.

Exodus 6:3 - "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

Did Muhammad know God by His name JEHOVAH? Please ask ishmael why he often has quoted the same name in his rejoinders:

ishmael:

even the mother of Ishmael (Hargar) who he lived with in the wilderness worshipped Jehovah God, so how comes his descendants did not worship the same God they worshipped?? Did the descendants of Isaac (the Jews) not worshipped Jehovah God?? if they did then the descendants of Ishmael (Ishmaelites) also worshipped Jehovah God.

If his argument was that "Ishmael worshipped Allah" (instead of Jehovah), then perhaps no one would be interested in furthering the discussion. To try and make the Allah of Muhammad into the Jehovah of the Jews is even more laughable.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 10:59am On Mar 29, 2007
Thats the problem i have with fanatical christians like stimulus, always saying that muslims don't worship God. Now it has reached a level of denying that ishmael and Hargar did not worship God; then you must have read your Bible upside down. If ishmael and Hargar had worshipped a god other than the living God then the Bible would have told us, else they worshipped the same God with father Abraham.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 11:10am On Mar 29, 2007
ishmael:

Thats the problem i have with fanatical christians like stimulus, always saying that muslims don't worship God. Now it has reached a level of denying that ishmael and Hargar did not worship God; then you must have read your Bible upside down. If ishmael and Hargar had worshipped a god other than the living God then the Bible would have told us, else they worshipped the same God with father Abraham.

It really doesn't matter that you are quick to libel others, especially as your overheated first response to my simple question demonstrates. For all your fanaticism, where does the Bible record Ishmael's worship of Jehovah God?
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by Horus(m): 11:21am On Mar 29, 2007
Ready-made Gods

If you’re standing next to some person and he says, “I worship the Almighty God, Allah God, God Allah,” fine. Then he says he’s a satanic worshipper. What do you mean? Well, God is Satan to them. They call him Baphomet the “satanic Goat of Mendez who is the God of lust;” Albert Pike, the Grand Commander, sovereign pontiff of universal freemasonry teaches that Satan is the God of Masonry: “. . . Yes, Lucifer is God . . .” If you don’t believe that God is Satan then this would not apply to you. The Pope teaches that Lucifer is God. The word Lucifer comes from the Latin word Lutfare which means “light-bringer, light-bearer.” The Catholics practice these light bearers, which means that they worship Lucifer in their churches.

So stop thinking that because people use God, Allah, et cetera, that it’s the same one you are referring to. Anyone can grab the name God and use it.

Source: http://factology.com/archive/20040619.htm
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by Backslider(m): 11:27am On Mar 29, 2007
"O God, do not keep silence; do not hold your peace or be still, O God! For behold, your enemies make an uproar; those WHO HATE YOU have raised their heads. They lay crafty plans against your people; they consult together against your treasured ones. They say, ‘Come, let us wipe them out as a nation; let the name of Israel be remembered no more!’ For they conspire with one accord; AGAINST YOU they make a covenant - the tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites, Gebal and Ammon and Amalek, Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre; Asshur also has joined them; they are the strong arm of the children of Lot. Selah Do to them as you did to Midian, as to Sisera and Jabin at the river Kishon, who were destroyed at En-dor, who became dung for the ground. Make their nobles like Oreb and Zeeb, all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna, who said, ‘Let us take possession for ourselves of the pastures of God.’ O my God, make them like whirling dust, like chaff before the wind. As fire consumes the forest, as the flame sets the mountains ablaze, so may you pursue them with your tempest and terrify them with your hurricane! Fill their faces with shame, that they may seek your name, O LORD. Let them be put to shame and dismayed forever; let them perish in disgrace, that they may know that you alone, whose name is the LORD, are the Most High over all the earth. Psalm 83:1-18

The implication This Psalm has on the Muslim claims is quite devastating. According to this Psalm the Ishmaelites, at least from the period between 1000-400 BC., were part of the nations who hated both the true God and his covenant people. The Psalmist asks God to bring utter destruction upon these nations so that they may come to the realization that Yahweh alone is the Most High God over the earth. This means that if the Muslim claims regarding the Meccan Arabs being descendents of Ishmael are correct, then the Allah of pre-Islamic Mecca was a false god. He couldn’t have been the same God worshiped by Jews and Christians.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 12:39pm On Mar 29, 2007
stimulus:
where does the Bible record Ishmael's worship of Jehovah God?

Where does the Bible record Ishmael's worship of another god other than the God of his father Abraham??
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 1:28pm On Mar 29, 2007
ishmael:

Where does the Bible record Ishmael's worship of another god other than the God of his father Abraham??

So, you have no verse in the Bible for your assertions?

No wahala: when you provide verses for ishmael worshipping Jehovah, then you'll be graciously served an exegesis of the true devotion of the Ishmaelites. Dress warm.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by babs787(m): 3:52pm On Mar 29, 2007
@stimulus

Tell me that "Allah" is Hebrew, then you would have made a point in your linguistic misconceptions.

Exodus 6:3 - "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

I asked you some questions above. I am still asking you, did Jesus use the word 'Jehovah' during his time?

Can you show me anywhere in the NT where the word 'Yahweh' is used?

Jesus in the NT referred to GOD Almighty as "Elaw," which is the Aramaic word for The GOD, which is a sister word of the Arabic "Allah":

1-  Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God (Elaw) alone.

2-  Matthew 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God (Elaw), and serve him only.' "

And so on,

Not only that, but the NT even records Jesus saying "Eloi Eloi lama sabachtani," which translates as "My GOD my GOD why have you forsaken me?"  Eloi is derived from Elaw and Allah.

"Yahweh" in Hebrew means "The LORD" or the "The GOD".  It is not a name.  Let us look at the following quotations from Christian and Jewish resources:

"Judaism teaches that while God's name exists in written form, it is too holy to be pronounced.  The result has been that, over the last 2000 years, the correct pronunciation has been lost."   (Mankind's Search for GOD, p. 225).

Here we clearly see that the pronunciation for the original name for GOD Almighty had been lost, and the Jews have no idea what the exact pronunciation is from their Holy Scriptures and resources.

"About 3,500 years ago, God spoke to Moses, saying: 'Thus shall you speak to the Israelites: The LORD [Hebrew: YHWH], the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you: This shall be My name forever, this My appellation for all eternity.'   (Exodus 3:15; Psalm 135:13)"  (Mankind's Search for GOD, p.225).

", the four Hebrew consonants YHWH (Yahweh) that in their Latinized form have come to be known over the centuries in English as JEHOVAH."   (Mankind's Search for GOD, p.225).

So the word "YHWH" or "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" is not the ORIGINAL name, but the appellation (title) for the Almighty GOD.  This is perfectly fine, because Jews, Christians and Muslims call on to GOD Almighty as "The LORD" or "The GOD", which means "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" in Hebrew and "Al-Rab" in Arabic.  "Al-Rab" in Arabic and "Yahweh" in Hebrew and the other translations in all other languages are indeed GOD Almighty's title.   But they are NOT His original Name!

Let us look at what Exodus 3:15 and Psalm 135:13 from the NIV Bible say:  "God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, `The LORD [Notice that they didn't write Jehovah.  "The LORD" in only a title], the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.  (From the NIV Bible, Exodus 3:15)"

"Your name, O LORD, endures forever, your renown, O LORD, through all generations.  (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 135:13)"

So as we clearly see from the above Verses from the NIV Bible, the original name for GOD Almighty is not "Yahweh".  The title "The LORD" is only a title and a nick name (if you will) that we give to GOD Almighty.  But "Yahweh" is definitely NOT THE ORIGINAL NAME for GOD Almighty.

"Allah" on the other hand is a name.  It is the name of GOD Almighty.

Beside the crystal clear proofs above about Yahweh or Jehovah being just a title or "appellation" (Exodus 3:15) for GOD Almighty, I would like to raise this simple question, and simple common sense test:

How can any title that begins with "the" be a name?

If I call you "the man", as it is a common slang for a person to be called that here in the US, would that really make your name "the man"?  

In Hebrew, Yahweh not only means "The LORD" or the "The GOD", but it also means "The Eternal" (according to the New Dictionary of the Bible).  That's all perfect with me.

The Eternal, Yahweh or Jehovah, means "Al-Samad" in Arabic.  Allah Almighty called Himself "Al-Samad" in the Noble Quran (Noble Verse 112:2).  I am willing to address Allah Almighty from now on by the "Al-Samad" title (Yahweh in Hebrew) and not by "Allah Almighty" (His Holy Name) if that's going to make Christians understand Islam and embrace it!

How difficult is it to comprehend that a title beginning with "the" can never be a name!  Let alone being an original name!  

"Yahweh" in Exodus 3:15 was only a title and not a name, and it means "The LORD", "The GOD" and the "The Eternal" (according to the New Dictionary of the Bible).

Now, let's assume for a second that "Yahweh" is a name, which is really ridiculous since its English translation starts with "the".   This still doesn't prove that GOD Almighty's original name is Yahweh!  Exodus 3:15 that Christians are so big on using was revealed to Prophet Moses peace be upon him.   How many years are there between Adam and Moses peace be upon them? Probably thousands!  If not even millions!

So according to the Christians' logic, GOD Almighty was Nameless from the time of Adam until the time of Moses where He, the Almighty, supposedly had finally found Himself and His identity.  Correct?  Wrong!  That's all a bunch of nonsense!

GOD Almighty's original Holy Name is clearly "Allah" or "Elaw"!   Like I said above, when Jesus peace be upon him was put on the cross, he cried to GOD Almighty and said "Eloi", which is derived from "Elaw" or "Allah".  He didn't say "Yahwahoi"!

The newest edition by the International Bible Society starts out "fi al-Bid'i khalaqa ALLAH al-samawati wal-ardha." The normal word for God, moreover, is "Allah," in the Christian dialects of Arabic as well as in the Jewish dialects,

To further prove my point, let us look at Genesis 2:4:

"This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.  When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens-  (From the NIV Bible, Genesis 2:4)"

So as you can clearly see, "Yahweh" is clearly a title that means "The LORD" and not a Name for GOD Almighty.

The closest Hebrew word to the Arabic Allaah (alif-lam-lam-ha) would be the Hebrew Allah (alef-lamed-lamed-heh), which is used by Hebrew speaking Muslims, and has been used by Arabic Jews.  That is the closest possible Hebrew word to the Arabic Allah. It is the exact same word, and it has been part of Hebrew for at least 15 centuries (though I do concede it was almost certainly adopted from Arabic).

Several points to learn:

1. "elahh" is the way the word "hhla" (spelled from right to left as it is Aramaic) is pronounced.

2. The words "Elahh", "hhla (read from right to left)" and "Allah" all have the "h" letter and pronunciation in them.

3- "Allah" in Arabic is pronounced as "Al-lawh" or "Al-lah" depending on the sentence that it is used in.  In Arabic, the sound of the word "Allah" could be thicker (Allawh) or thinner (Allah) depending on the sentence.

4- The Aramaic word "hhla (read from right to left)", which is transliterated as "elahh" which means "GOD" is pronounced as "El-aw" as show above.

5- The Aramaic word "hla (read from right to left)", which is transliterated as "elah" which means "oak" is pronounced as "Ay-law" also as shown above.

6- "Allah" in Arabic is pronounced as "Al-lawh" or "Al-lah" depending on the sentence that it is used in.  In Arabic, the sound of the word "Allah" could be thicker (Allawh) or thinner (Allah) depending on the sentence.

7- The Hebew word "Elohim" is the plural of "Elowah", which is derived from the Aramaic word "Alaha", or "Elahh"; the same as the Arabic word "Allah" or "Allawh" in pronunciation.  

If we pronounce the words "Allah" in Arabic and "Elahh (pronounced as 'El-aw')" in Aramaic, then we would hear almost the same exact word

In the case of the Aramaic word "El-law (hhla)" above, if you pronouce the word, then you will notice a slight pronunciation of the letter "h".  The pronunciation of the word "El-law" is pronounced heavily as "El-law" or "El-la", but it is also pronounced slightly as "El-lah" or "El-lawh" or "Al-lah" or "Allah".  Arabic as I said inserts the letter "h" at the end of the words that end with the "a" pronunciation, thus making "Osama" be "Osamah", "Maria" be "Mariah", "Alla" be "Allah", etc,

"El-law" or "El-lawh" in Aramaic means "GOD", while "Eloi" in Aramaic means "My GOD" as Jesus used the word "Eloi" when he was put on the cross and said "My GOD My GOD why have you forsaken me? (Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachtani?), (Mark 15:34)"

In Arabic, "GOD" means "Allah", and "My GOD" means "Ilahi" or "Elahi" which is derived from the word "Allah".

In Iran, the word "Allah" is pronounced as "Allawh".  In the Arabic alphabets, which is used in the Iranian (Persian) language, there is no writing for the pronunciation of the letter "l" as "law".  The addition of punctuation to the letter "l", can make it be written in the Arabic alphabets as "la" or "laa" or "li" or "lee" or "lo" or "loo", but never "law".  "law" in Arabic is written as "la".  In Arabic as I mentioned above, "Allah" can be pronounced also as "Allawh".  However, in Iran, it is almost always pronounced as "Allawh".

By the way, the two "l"s in "Allah" are written in Arabic as one "l".  In Arabic, if the letter is pronounced twice after each others such as the "m" in "Muhammad", then it is written only once, and a special punctuation called "al-shaddah" is applied on the top of the letter to indicate that it is a double pronunciation.  So the point is, the Arabic "Allah" is written with one "l" and not two "l"s.  Perhaps the old Aramaic thousands of years ago was like that too, and maybe that's why "Allah" is written with one "l" in Aramaic.

The point is that the slang of "el-aw" in Aramaic and the slang of "Allawh" in Arabic sound the same, thus making the name of GOD Almighty in both Arabic and Aramaic be "Allah".

I conclude thus:

Holy Qur'aan 17:110

SAY: "CALL UPON ALLAH,
OR CALL UPON RAHMAN
BY WHATEVER NAME YE CALL UPON HIM (it is well):
FOR TO HIM BELONG THE MOST BEAUTIFUL NAMES

Are you ok sir?

2 Likes

Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 6:11pm On Mar 29, 2007
@stimulus
The Bible did not talk much about the life of Ishmael after he and his mother Hargar went into the wilderness. Read the Quran for more stories about the life of ishmael; the Quran talks much about him than the Bible; and there is no where in the Quran where ishmael was said to worship a god other than the true God. If at all Ishmael and his mother Hargar worshipped a god other than the God they and Abraham worshipped in Abraham's house the Bible would have pointed it out. for God to have abided with him meant he still worshipped the living God his father Abraham worshipped. The Bible talked more about Isaac than Ishmael, so you would never get answers to some of your questions about Ishmael in the Bible. The Quran focuses more on Abraham & Ishmael than Isaac.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by Backslider(m): 6:31pm On Mar 29, 2007
@Ishmeal

Pray you find the truth I have found out your faith and that you take authorty from a different book.

I have seized to Argue with Moslems.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 6:51pm On Mar 29, 2007
Backslider:

@Ishmeal

Pray you find the truth I have found out your faith and that you take authorty from a different book.

I have seized to Argue with Moslems.

I'm a christian like you my brother!!
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 29, 2007
Judas must have said the same thing to Peter.

I am a disciple like you brother.

We all know where he ended up. grin grin
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2007
davidylan:

Judas must have said the same thing to Peter.

I am a disciple like you brother.

We all know where he ended up. grin grin

Una sef - I don laugh tire!! grin
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

@stimulus

I asked you some questions above. I am still asking you, did Jesus use the word 'Jehovah' during his time?

Can you show me anywhere in the NT where the word 'Yahweh' is used?

Jesus in the NT referred to GOD Almighty as "Elaw," which is the Aramaic word for The GOD, which is a sister word of the Arabic "Allah":

1- Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God (Elaw) alone.

2- Matthew 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God (Elaw), and serve him only.' "

And so on,

Not only that, but the NT even records Jesus saying "Eloi Eloi lama sabachtani," which translates as "My GOD my GOD why have you forsaken me?" Eloi is derived from Elaw and Allah.

"Yahweh" in Hebrew means "The LORD" or the "The GOD". It is not a name. Let us look at the following quotations from Christian and Jewish resources:

"Judaism teaches that while God's name exists in written form, it is too holy to be pronounced. The result has been that, over the last 2000 years, the correct pronunciation has been lost." (Mankind's Search for GOD, p. 225).

Here we clearly see that the pronunciation for the original name for GOD Almighty had been lost, and the Jews have no idea what the exact pronunciation is from their Holy Scriptures and resources.

"About 3,500 years ago, God spoke to Moses, saying: 'Thus shall you speak to the Israelites: The LORD [Hebrew: YHWH], the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you: This shall be My name forever, this My appellation for all eternity.' (Exodus 3:15; Psalm 135:13)" (Mankind's Search for GOD, p.225).

", the four Hebrew consonants YHWH (Yahweh) that in their Latinized form have come to be known over the centuries in English as JEHOVAH." (Mankind's Search for GOD, p.225).

So the word "YHWH" or "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" is not the ORIGINAL name, but the appellation (title) for the Almighty GOD. This is perfectly fine, because Jews, Christians and Muslims call on to GOD Almighty as "The LORD" or "The GOD", which means "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" in Hebrew and "Al-Rab" in Arabic. "Al-Rab" in Arabic and "Yahweh" in Hebrew and the other translations in all other languages are indeed GOD Almighty's title. But they are NOT His original Name!

Let us look at what Exodus 3:15 and Psalm 135:13 from the NIV Bible say: "God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, `The LORD [Notice that they didn't write Jehovah. "The LORD" in only a title], the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation. (From the NIV Bible, Exodus 3:15)"

"Your name, O LORD, endures forever, your renown, O LORD, through all generations. (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 135:13)"

So as we clearly see from the above Verses from the NIV Bible, the original name for GOD Almighty is not "Yahweh". The title "The LORD" is only a title and a nick name (if you will) that we give to GOD Almighty. But "Yahweh" is definitely NOT THE ORIGINAL NAME for GOD Almighty.

"Allah" on the other hand is a name. It is the name of GOD Almighty.

Beside the crystal clear proofs above about Yahweh or Jehovah being just a title or "appellation" (Exodus 3:15) for GOD Almighty, I would like to raise this simple question, and simple common sense test:

How can any title that begins with "the" be a name?

If I call you "the man", as it is a common slang for a person to be called that here in the US, would that really make your name "the man"?

In Hebrew, Yahweh not only means "The LORD" or the "The GOD", but it also means "The Eternal" (according to the New Dictionary of the Bible). That's all perfect with me.

The Eternal, Yahweh or Jehovah, means "Al-Samad" in Arabic. Allah Almighty called Himself "Al-Samad" in the Noble Quran (Noble Verse 112:2). I am willing to address Allah Almighty from now on by the "Al-Samad" title (Yahweh in Hebrew) and not by "Allah Almighty" (His Holy Name) if that's going to make Christians understand Islam and embrace it!

How difficult is it to comprehend that a title beginning with "the" can never be a name! Let alone being an original name!

"Yahweh" in Exodus 3:15 was only a title and not a name, and it means "The LORD", "The GOD" and the "The Eternal" (according to the New Dictionary of the Bible).

Now, let's assume for a second that "Yahweh" is a name, which is really ridiculous since its English translation starts with "the". This still doesn't prove that GOD Almighty's original name is Yahweh! Exodus 3:15 that Christians are so big on using was revealed to Prophet Moses peace be upon him. How many years are there between Adam and Moses peace be upon them? Probably thousands! If not even millions!

So according to the Christians' logic, GOD Almighty was Nameless from the time of Adam until the time of Moses where He, the Almighty, supposedly had finally found Himself and His identity. Correct? Wrong! That's all a bunch of nonsense!

GOD Almighty's original Holy Name is clearly "Allah" or "Elaw"! Like I said above, when Jesus peace be upon him was put on the cross, he cried to GOD Almighty and said "Eloi", which is derived from "Elaw" or "Allah". He didn't say "Yahwahoi"!

The newest edition by the International Bible Society starts out "fi al-Bid'i khalaqa ALLAH al-samawati wal-ardha." The normal word for God, moreover, is "Allah," in the Christian dialects of Arabic as well as in the Jewish dialects,

To further prove my point, let us look at Genesis 2:4:

"This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created. When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens- (From the NIV Bible, Genesis 2:4)"

So as you can clearly see, "Yahweh" is clearly a title that means "The LORD" and not a Name for GOD Almighty.

The closest Hebrew word to the Arabic Allaah (alif-lam-lam-ha) would be the Hebrew Allah (alef-lamed-lamed-heh), which is used by Hebrew speaking Muslims, and has been used by Arabic Jews. That is the closest possible Hebrew word to the Arabic Allah. It is the exact same word, and it has been part of Hebrew for at least 15 centuries (though I do concede it was almost certainly adopted from Arabic).

Several points to learn:

1. "elahh" is the way the word "hhla" (spelled from right to left as it is Aramaic) is pronounced.

2. The words "Elahh", "hhla (read from right to left)" and "Allah" all have the "h" letter and pronunciation in them.

3- "Allah" in Arabic is pronounced as "Al-lawh" or "Al-lah" depending on the sentence that it is used in. In Arabic, the sound of the word "Allah" could be thicker (Allawh) or thinner (Allah) depending on the sentence.

4- The Aramaic word "hhla (read from right to left)", which is transliterated as "elahh" which means "GOD" is pronounced as "El-aw" as show above.

5- The Aramaic word "hla (read from right to left)", which is transliterated as "elah" which means "oak" is pronounced as "Ay-law" also as shown above.

6- "Allah" in Arabic is pronounced as "Al-lawh" or "Al-lah" depending on the sentence that it is used in. In Arabic, the sound of the word "Allah" could be thicker (Allawh) or thinner (Allah) depending on the sentence.

7- The Hebew word "Elohim" is the plural of "Elowah", which is derived from the Aramaic word "Alaha", or "Elahh"; the same as the Arabic word "Allah" or "Allawh" in pronunciation.

If we pronounce the words "Allah" in Arabic and "Elahh (pronounced as 'El-aw')" in Aramaic, then we would hear almost the same exact word

In the case of the Aramaic word "El-law (hhla)" above, if you pronouce the word, then you will notice a slight pronunciation of the letter "h". The pronunciation of the word "El-law" is pronounced heavily as "El-law" or "El-la", but it is also pronounced slightly as "El-lah" or "El-lawh" or "Al-lah" or "Allah". Arabic as I said inserts the letter "h" at the end of the words that end with the "a" pronunciation, thus making "Osama" be "Osamah", "Maria" be "Mariah", "Alla" be "Allah", etc,

"El-law" or "El-lawh" in Aramaic means "GOD", while "Eloi" in Aramaic means "My GOD" as Jesus used the word "Eloi" when he was put on the cross and said "My GOD My GOD why have you forsaken me? (Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachtani?), (Mark 15:34)"

In Arabic, "GOD" means "Allah", and "My GOD" means "Ilahi" or "Elahi" which is derived from the word "Allah".

In Iran, the word "Allah" is pronounced as "Allawh". In the Arabic alphabets, which is used in the Iranian (Persian) language, there is no writing for the pronunciation of the letter "l" as "law". The addition of punctuation to the letter "l", can make it be written in the Arabic alphabets as "la" or "laa" or "li" or "lee" or "lo" or "loo", but never "law". "law" in Arabic is written as "la". In Arabic as I mentioned above, "Allah" can be pronounced also as "Allawh". However, in Iran, it is almost always pronounced as "Allawh".

By the way, the two "l"s in "Allah" are written in Arabic as one "l". In Arabic, if the letter is pronounced twice after each others such as the "m" in "Muhammad", then it is written only once, and a special punctuation called "al-shaddah" is applied on the top of the letter to indicate that it is a double pronunciation. So the point is, the Arabic "Allah" is written with one "l" and not two "l"s. Perhaps the old Aramaic thousands of years ago was like that too, and maybe that's why "Allah" is written with one "l" in Aramaic.

The point is that the slang of "el-aw" in Aramaic and the slang of "Allawh" in Arabic sound the same, thus making the name of GOD Almighty in both Arabic and Aramaic be "Allah".

I conclude thus:

Holy Qur'aan 17:110

SAY: "CALL UPON ALLAH,
OR CALL UPON RAHMAN
BY WHATEVER NAME YE CALL UPON HIM (it is well):
FOR TO HIM BELONG THE MOST BEAUTIFUL NAMES

Are you ok sir?

I had the premonition that you were going to reharsh already weathered arguments here as in previous threads. Rest your heart, as it's not my style to push for unsubstantiated lingusitic misconceptions paraded by Muslim so-called 'scholars' who have no idea of the Hebrew language. That is why your efforts to sweat out their misconceptions is untenable here.

Let me illustrate: the Swedes have a lot of words that carry English spellings, but one who is neither Swedish nor Scadinavian will parade himself/herself as an expert translator and mislead ignorant readers. For example, the Swedish word for 'bath' is bad (and our English "bathroom" is called badrum in Swedish). Since Swedish and English are Germanic languages, you could imagine someone passing himself/herself off as a linguist and misleads ignorant readers into believing that "badrum" is simply referring to RUM that is BAD in English!

That is exactly the case with the so-called "transliterations" of Hebrew expressions you have pandered from disingenuous fellows passing themselves off as linguists and forcefully twisting words to accredit Muhammad's prophethood that is non-existent in the Bible.

Anyone reading that dressed-up drivel you reposted from another website can see already that it has an Islamic slant to it. The author of that article referred to another Muslim link in bold, red fonts: "This excellent article shows from Hebrew sources that Genesis 1:1 said "Allah".

My question: Is "Allah" a Hebrew word at all? That's just one of the linguistic re-engineering Muslim apologists use to confuse themselves; and if you had even a weak grasp of the Hebrew language, you would not expose such ignorant rantings in a public place.

In Genesis 1:1, the word used for God is אלהים ['ĕlôhîym - el-o-heem'], not "Allah". I am not a Hebrew scholar; but here's a website that could offer sound help from those who know the language well enough: Hebrew Names of God. Then you will understand why such dishonest transliterations by disingenuous fellows are not worth the noise they make.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2007
Take it or leave it, the truth is that the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob is also the God of Ishmael, meaning that the God of Christians is also the God of the Muslims whether He is called Jehovah, Ellah or Allah. After all God understands all languages because He created and gave them to mankind.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2007
@ishmael,

ishmael:

@stimulus
The Bible did not talk much about the life of Ishmael after he and his mother Hargar went into the wilderness. Read the Quran for more stories about the life of ishmael; the Quran talks much about him than the Bible; and there is no where in the Quran where ishmael was said to worship a god other than the true God. If at all Ishmael and his mother Hargar worshipped a god other than the God they and Abraham worshipped in Abraham's house the Bible would have pointed it out. for God to have abided with him meant he still worshipped the living God his father Abraham worshipped. The Bible talked more about Isaac than Ishmael, so you would never get answers to some of your questions about Ishmael in the Bible. The Quran focuses more on Abraham & Ishmael than Isaac.

No matter how one looks at the issue, it still stands that you cannot substantiate your claims from the Bible - at least, not as yet. It would be interesting to see some more effort towards this, if you may; but after several rejoinders on the same question, you are yet unable to solidly rest your assertions.

Nonetheless, does it not rev your credulity that you'd offer to settle your arguments on the Qur'an instead? Something is seriously unbalanced in this type reasoning. Muslims cannot trust the Bible; why should the Qur'an be trusted for its unsubstatiated accusations against the Bible? The point here is that, your query does not presuppose discussants take their answers from the Qur'an, but rather from the Bible. How so? Let me explain:

The topic asks a question: "Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God?" The answers that have trailed that question is a resounding NO. There is no word as "JEHOVAH" in the Arabic language; and batu's reply succinctly tackles the question intelligently. However, as far as the name Jehovah has been severally mentioned in your posts, it suggests that readers fetch their answers from the Bible - and that is what I have challenged you to do several times.

Bottomline is that Ishmael is not recorded in the Bible as a worshipper of Jehovah God. The Qur'an may tell you otherwise; but there again, ask Muslims if Muhammad knew God by the same Name and identity in your query. There may be several attempts to reply with a 'YES'; but at the end of the day, they still have no answers to proving that he did.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 8:08pm On Mar 29, 2007
ishmael:

Take it or leave it, the truth is that the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob is also the God of Ishmael, meaning that the God of Christians is also the God of the Muslims.

Just one premise will suffice: If MUSLIMS themselves are willing to confess the same God whom Jesus Christ called "Our FATHER in Heaven", then you would have a case.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 8:10pm On Mar 29, 2007
stimulus:

Bottomline is that Ishmael is not recorded in the Bible as a worshipper of Jehovah God.

And the same Bible did not record that Ishmael was not a worshipper of the true God Jehovah. the Bible did record it that the true God Jehovah blessed Ishmael and was with him through out till death.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by stimulus(m): 8:17pm On Mar 29, 2007
ishmael:

And the same Bible did not record that Ishmael was not a worshipper of the true God Jehovah. the Bible did record it that the true God Jehovah blessed Ishmael and was with him through out till death.

Very simple: produce your texts and let's rest this smokescreen you're recycling. Ishmael's blessings were based on Abraham's prayer for him - the Bible states it so clearly. Nowhere is it recorded that Ishmael worshipped Jehovah God.

As soon as you proffer texts for your convictions about Ishmael, then I'll show you what you've missed.
Re: Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God? by ishmael(m): 8:58am On Mar 30, 2007
@Stimulus
If the Bible did not tell us that Ishmael worshipped Jehovah God, did the same Bible tell us that he worshipped another god?? if it did extract from the Bible and tell us the god he worshipped??

Thank God that you agree and acknowledge that God Blessed Ishmael because of Abraham's prayer(s) for him; He was Blessed that's it!! Was it not God's Blessings that was poured upon him?? Or is there any Blessings more than God's Blessings?? did the blessings transform into curse?? Or did God reverse the blessings??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Questions For Evolutionists And Atheists / Apostle Suleman And His Wife, Lizzy Celebrate Their 13th Wedding Anniversary / What Do People Mean When They Say Somebody Is Too Churchy For Their Liking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.