Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,722 members, 7,813,383 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo (2021 Views)

Amotekun: We’ve Broken Ties With Yoruba Nation.- Miyetti Allah. / Here Is The Man That Caused Disunity Among Yoruba And Igbo People / Nnamdi Kanu On Igbos With Yoruba Pastors. (throwback Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by ariesbull: 5:39am On Aug 05, 2018
I am not saying we are brothers to please anybody.

I don't know how far you have traveled though, I have not traveled much but I have lived in ijawland as an ijaw man, I have lived in Igboland as a university student in an Igbo community n now I live and work in a Yoruba land.

I remember the first time I got to school and when I traveled all over the five Eastern states doing my field school as a Geology student, I never feel strange in an Igbo community except that I don't understand the language they speak. It almost feels like home except that most of it are high lands and plain lands unlike our rivers and waters.

But when I got to Lagos (Yoruba land), almost everything was new to me and strange. I didn't like the foods because it was entirely different from mine. I didn't like the way people behave because their values are entirely different from where I came from.

I used to think we and Yoruba difference was only language just like Igbo but alas brother, it is more.

Their music doesn't in anyway sound like ours, unlike when I recently heard an Urhobo song, if not for the language, I almost thought it was ijaw song.

We and our neighbors in the old East are like England and their neighbors in the British Isles. They share similar cultures and everything but yet have some things against each other one way or the other and don't speak same language but we all know they are the same people.

Look at former USSR, the Croatians will tell you they are not Russians but only they know themselves, if they don't tell us they are Croatians we will always call them Russians because all their names sound alike to distant strangers like us.

I appreciate the fact that we are different ethnic groups, not subject to the other in any form but we shouldn't deny our similarities and the fact that culture speaks more of brotherhood than language.

Tari Nembi

Posted on Facebook

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by NdiaraIGBO: 5:54am On Aug 05, 2018
Oga, oya go and live and work in igboland na. Abi lagos send you invitation letter?

11 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Twistsss: 6:03am On Aug 05, 2018
If the question you're raising is who is more related to the Ijaws, I don't think there is an argument here.
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by ariesbull: 6:57am On Aug 05, 2018
Twistsss:

If the question you're raising is who is more related to the Ijaws, I don't think there is an argument here.

The ijaw man made his position clear and known
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by mercenary: 7:01am On Aug 05, 2018
And then when you meet the hausa man, you'd almost puke, I work with a lot of them here in Bayelsa they're too primitive... Abe nua

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Tolexander: 7:04am On Aug 05, 2018
ariesbull:

Look at former USSR, the Croatians will tell you
they are not Russians but only they know
themselves, if they don't tell us they are
Croatians we will always call them Russians
because all their names sound alike to distant
strangers like us.
Croatia wasn't part of USSR.

Croatia is part of the Slavic states in the Balkan peninsula that formed Yugoslavia then.

11 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Corrinthians(m): 7:06am On Aug 05, 2018
ariesbull:
[s]I am not saying we are brothers to please anybody.

I don't know how far you have traveled though, I have not traveled much but I have lived in ijawland as an ijaw man, I have lived in Igboland as a university student in an Igbo community n now I live and work in a Yoruba land.

I remember the first time I got to school and when I traveled all over the five Eastern states doing my field school as a Geology student, I never feel strange in an Igbo community except that I don't understand the language they speak. It almost feels like home except that most of it are high lands and plain lands unlike our rivers and waters.

But when I got to Lagos (Yoruba land), almost everything was new to me and strange. I didn't like the foods because it was entirely different from mine. I didn't like the way people behave because their values are entirely different from where I came from.

I used to think we and Yoruba difference was only language just like Igbo but alas brother, it is more.

Their music doesn't in anyway sound like ours, unlike when I recently heard an Urhobo song, if not for the language, I almost thought it was ijaw song.

We and our neighbors in the old East are like England and their neighbors in the British Isles. They share similar cultures and everything but yet have some things against each other one way or the other and don't speak same language but we all know they are the same people.

Look at former USSR, the Croatians will tell you they are not Russians but only they know themselves, if they don't tell us they are Croatians we will always call them Russians because all their names sound alike to distant strangers like us.

I appreciate the fact that we are different ethnic groups, not subject to the other in any form but we shouldn't deny our similarities and the fact that culture speaks more of brotherhood than language.

Tari Nembi

Posted on Facebook[/s]
Trash. This is nairaland and politics section, not Tribaland. Why don't you go post it again on whatsapp or 2go so the whole world can know you don't like Yoruba culture?

Mynd44, I guess there's a place specifically meant for threads like this (ethnic and racial section). Please do due diligence to the thread. Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Twistsss: 7:23am On Aug 05, 2018
ariesbull:

My point is there is no argument to be made. It's pointless for me to open a thread so that we can all argue about the similarities of lime, orange and watermelon. We all know lime and orange have closer relationship.
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 05, 2018
Corrinthians:
Trash. This is nairaland and politics section, not Tribaland. Why don't you go post it again on whatsapp or 2go so the whole world can know you don't like Yoruba culture?

Mynd44, I guess there's a place specifically meant for threads like this (ethnic and racial section). Please do due diligence to the thread. Thanks.

I want to understand something.....did u read the message at all.....

Nobody is claiming IJAW....u can carry them to lagos or ogbomosho....but at least behave well...

6 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Strikethem: 7:46am On Aug 05, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:
Oga, oya go and live and work in igboland na. Abi lagos send you invitation letter?

Lol
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by proeast(m): 8:02am On Aug 05, 2018
ariesbull:

I know Tari in person. We were course mates in Geology department back then in FUTO, 2004 set. Tari is indeed one intelligent Ijaw man I know and he has been very vocal in enlightening his people about what is really going on in Nigeria. The truth is that Igbos are indeed assets to any people because they are the real developers who are hardworking and business minded with little or no time for causing fights, wars, territorial expansion or idle gossiping. On the other hand, these traits I mentioned are very common with Hausa fulani and yorubas respectively. Even in far flung northern towns like Jos, Markudi, Gboko etc you will discover that the indigenes are always comfortable with Igbos than any other ethnic group. Even in precolonial times, the Igbos hardly waged wars against themselves or their neighbors because it just isn't in their nature because they have always practiced democracy rather than autocracy. Although, I understand the fear of the minorities that they would be greatly outnumbered by the Igbos if we are to have Biafra together, but such fears although may appear real on the face value but the Igbos are too busy with business and hustling to start looking for trouble or how to dominate others. Left for me, I would have preferred a Biafra of Igbos alone but we can still have a country with our brothers in the Niger Delta if we can establish and ensure mutual respect for one another.
Nigeria can never and would never develop because of structural problems, so the earlier we all realize that and chat a new course for its constituent parts, the better for us all.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by proeast(m): 8:11am On Aug 05, 2018
Corrinthians:

You lots can be very annoying with primitive mindsets such as yours. Why do you guys like twisting narratives because you don't like it?? Where was it written in the article that he didn't like your culture?? He stated that your culture and cuisine are not mutually intelligible with that of the Ijaws unlike their Igbo neighbors that are very similar to theirs! You should try and be accommodating of other peoples opinion rather than trying to shut them up because you don't like it, thats the hallmark of dictators.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by seunmsg(m): 8:14am On Aug 05, 2018
Funny enough, it was the Yoruba's that came through for Jonathan when the PDP cabals tried to prevent him from becoming president despite Yar'aduas incapacity. Most Igbo political leaders looked away when Jonathan was being maltreated. Even after he became acting president, then PDP chairman Vincent Igbulafor (yes, another ibo man) made it very clear to him that he should forget the party ticket. Ogbulafor wanted Atiku or another northerner as the party candidate. It took the personal intervention and negotiation of Obasanjo (yes, from the much hated enemy tribe) to secure the party ticket for Jonathan.

After the 2011 election, Yoruba's became the enemies again. Like we say in Yoruba land, "ore pe, asiwere gbagbe". Igbo's who sat on the fence during the struggle became the backbone of Jonathan's government. Yoruba's were quickly relegated to the background by the new government. The rest is now history.

You guys better listen and listen well, Yoruba's don't give a fvck about anybody. Politics is all about building alliances and consensus. When we win, we celebrate and are magnanimous. When we lose, we go back to the drawing board and re-strategise. We don't go about hating on the winners and sulking uncontrollably for years.

8 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Strikethem: 8:38am On Aug 05, 2018
seunmsg:
Funny enough, it was the Yoruba's that came through for Jonathan when the PDP cabals tried to prevent him from becoming president despite Yar'aduas incapacity. Most Igbo political leaders looked away when Jonathan was being maltreated. Even after he became acting president, then PDP chairman Vincent Igbulafor (yes, another ibo man) made it very clear to him that he should forget the party ticket. Ogbulafor wanted Atiku or another northerner as the party candidate. It took the personal intervention and negotiation of Obasanjo (yes, from the much hated enemy tribe) to secure the party ticket for Jonathan.

After the 2011 election, Yoruba's became the enemies again. Like we say in Yoruba land, "ore pe, asiwere gbagbe". Igbo's who sat on the fence during the struggle became the backbone of Jonathan's government. Yoruba's were quickly relegated to the background by the new government. The rest is now history.

You guys better listen and listen well, Yoruba's don't give a fvck about anybody. Politics is all about building alliances and consensus. When we win, we celebrate and are magnanimous. When we lose, we go back to the drawing board and re-strategise. We don't go about hating on the winners and sulking uncontrollably for years.
Their slavery to aboki is a chronic one.

5 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by justtoodark: 8:52am On Aug 05, 2018
proeast:
I know Tari in person. We were course mates in Geology department back then in FUTO, 2004 set. Tari is indeed one intelligent Ijaw man I know and he has been very vocal in enlightening his people about what is really going on in Nigeria. The truth is that Igbos are indeed assets to any people because they are the real developers who are hardworking and business minded with little or no time for causing fights, wars, territorial expansion or idle gossiping. On the other hand, these traits I mentioned are very common with Hausa fulani and yorubas respectively. Even in far flung northern towns like Jos, Markudi, Gboko etc you will discover that the indigenes are always comfortable with Igbos than any other ethnic group. Even in precolonial times, the Igbos hardly waged wars against themselves or their neighbors because it just isn't in their nature because they have always practiced democracy rather than autocracy. Although, I understand the fear of the minorities that they would be greatly outnumbered by the Igbos if we are to have Biafra together, but such fears although may appear real on the face value but the Igbos are too busy with business and hustling to start looking for trouble or how to dominate others. Left for me, I would have preferred a Biafra of Igbos alone but we can still have a country with our brothers in the Niger Delta if we can establish and ensure mutual respect for one another.
Nigeria can never and would never develop because of structural problems, so the earlier we all realize that and chat a new course for its constituent parts, the better for us all.

here we go again... he didnt mentioned anything about biafra....

op should be careful with igbos....their greedy nature is what piss people off about them,nobody realy dislikes them....

but this their greedy nature is something else....you give them a finger,they will want the ol hand....

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by phase1: 8:59am On Aug 05, 2018
seunmsg:

This yoromuslims sef!
So because you want to revisionize facts and hide the truth to suit your narrative you've suddenly deleted from your muslim skull the fact that Prof Dora Akunyili (GBHS) was shouting ontop of her voice against yar'adua cabal headed by Yar'adua's wife holding GEJ to ransom.

Why are you yorroba this evil? Tufiakwa!
Afonja Ajoka!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by aribisala0(m): 9:11am On Aug 05, 2018
My comment is this:

Leaving Yoruba out of it.

The Ijaw are a very diverse group indeed. Before Colonization they operated in the waters off the coast of what is now Cameroon, Nigeria all the way to Ghana and in many cases assimilated into the different places they found themselves. As such even though Kalabari today Identify as Ijaw they are quite different in many ways from Kolokuma or indeed the Ijaws of Ondo State. I don't know if that still happens but in Rivers state there was Kolokuma news which was very different from Kalabari news.

So it must be remembered that the Ijaw are quite diverse just like the Igbo and the Yoruba. They have been influenced by their neighbours who are many e.g Igbo, Edo Yoruba Ibibio, Urhobo ,Itsekiri and so on. The closer they are to these neihbours the stronger the connection This often includes marriage ties. The Ijebu waterside is an interesting place in Ogun State .

Just like with the Fulani. Not all Fulani keep cattle. Not all Ijaw are fishermen.Some ( a smll number) are farmers exclusively depending on where they are found

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Chibuzoc(m): 9:21am On Aug 05, 2018
justtoodark:

op should be careful with igbos....their greedy nature is what piss people off about them,nobody realy dislikes them....

but this their greedy nature is something else....you give them a finger,they will want the ol hand....

Your envy for the Igbos will surely consume you, when someone becomes successful he is greed abi..

One thing you fail to know about the Igbos is that we are nation builders

Incase you never heard it ''anywhere you go without finding an Igbo man, run that place is not meant for humans...

Now you can go and give your ancestral lands to Fulani's the need it for grazing but for the igbos you give us a finger and we turn it to a hand cool

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by mpianya39(m): 9:38am On Aug 05, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:

I know how feel the moment you see that headline" ijaw relationship with yoruba grin grin for your mind pastor daddy ayodepo prophecy about yoruba and ijaw becoming one indivisible entity don come to reality grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Yorubaskullmine: 10:42am On Aug 05, 2018
Why are cursed yorubas this spiteful. Just see as they are littering this thread with bitterness. I spit on the yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by pyxon(m): 11:10am On Aug 05, 2018
The plans of Afonjas is to isolate Igbo from everybody. Whenever they see Igbo building bridges, e Dey pain them pass anything

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by EternalTruths: 11:32am On Aug 05, 2018
Tolexander:
Croatia wasn't part of USSR.

Croatia is part of the Slavic states in the Balkan peninsula that formed Yugoslavia then.

The Russians are Slavs as well as most of the Eastern Europeans.
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Strikethem: 11:45am On Aug 05, 2018
[s]
phase1:

This yoromuslims sef!
So because you want to revisionize facts and hide the truth to suit your narrative you've suddenly deleted from your muslim skull the fact that Prof Dora Akunyili (GBHS) was shouting ontop of her voice against yar'adua cabal headed by Yar'adua's wife holding GEJ to ransom.

Why are you Yoruba this evil? Tufiakwa!
Afonja Ajoka!
[/s]Tell us why igbos are so evil and wicked in nature.
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by Strikethem: 11:48am On Aug 05, 2018
Yorubaskullmine:
Why are cursed yorubas this spiteful. Just see as they are littering this thread with bitterness. I spit on the yorubas.
Same question I have been asking, why are cursed igbo race is so hateful, wicked and greedy in nature.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by proeast(m): 11:52am On Aug 05, 2018
justtoodark:

Lol, this one is talking out of ignorance. You don't know the person who wrote the article under discuss, but I do. FYI, the writer is an Ijaw man and a staunch believer in Biafra that comprises both Igbos, Ijaws and other minorities. In fact he is far more passionate about Biafra than me tongue tongue
I don't know why you all get angry whenever there seems to be a unification between Igbos and minorities. The truth is that unlike you guys or the abo.kis, Igbos have a lot in common with our brothers in the Niger Delta than you all, at least, in terms of culture, religion, geographical location, cuisine, physical appearance, ideology etc. That's also the reason why abo.kis in the north call everyonet from this part "nyamiri" regardless of whether they are Igbo, Ibibio, Anang, Ijaw etc.
Mind you, we can care less if the minorities like us or not since it wont add or subtract from us. However, truth is stubborn and no matter how you try to subdue it, it will always rise again tongue tongue
If you think I'm lying about Tari's aspirations about a united Biafra comprising Igbos, Ijaws and others please go ahead and check his Facebook page at Tari Nemi. You will see how he always conducts research about present and past events in Nigeria.

The joke is on you grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by justtoodark: 1:33pm On Aug 05, 2018
Chibuzoc:

Your envy for the Igbos will surely consume you, when someone becomes successful he is greed abi..

One thing you fail to know about the Igbos is that we are nation builders

Incase you never heard it ''anywhere you go without finding an Igbo man, run that place is not meant for humans...

Now you can go and give your ancestral lands to Fulani's the need it for grazing but for the igbos you give us a finger and we turn it to a hand cool

you igbos should just let this biafra thing rest....their is no way we will all agree on it....

the op didnt mention biafra a tall.....he only said something nice about igbos....thats all....

your brother immediatly added biafra to what he said....

do you find that okay,putting words in other peoples mouth....?
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by justtoodark: 1:36pm On Aug 05, 2018
the op only said his own personal experience with igbos thats all....

but thinking now that all ijaws think like him is delusional....

dont forget,the ijaws fought una in the civil war.....

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by hammer6F: 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2018
Ijaws are Igbo brothers and GEJ is confirmation of dat.

Asari Dokunbo is another confirmation.

I an Igbo man is also confirming that.

The era of dividing us is over, we will not allow and neither will we tolerate any such attempt.

Ijaw and Igbo use to be practicallly one people before the white man, hausa and yoruba carry their wahala come.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by justtoodark: 1:39pm On Aug 05, 2018
hammer6F:
Ijaws are Igbo brothers and GEJ is confirmation of dat.

Asari Dokunbo is another confirmation.

I an Igbo man is also confirming that.

The era of dividing us is over, we will not allow and neither will we tolerate any such attempt.

Ijaw and Igbo use to be practicallly one people before the white man, hausa and yoruba carry their wahala come.

it doesnt matter...just dont bring your biafra thing up again....

i myself have nothing against igbos till they start pissing me off again.....
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by hammer6F: 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2018
justtoodark:

it doesnt matter...just dont bring your biafra thing up again....

i myself have nothing against igbos till they start pissing me off again.....

Afonja, go and sleep, u have cried enough. cry

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by justtoodark: 1:42pm On Aug 05, 2018
proeast:
Lol, this one is talking out of ignorance. You don't know the person who wrote the article under discuss, but I do. FYI, the writer is an Ijaw man and a staunch believer in Biafra that comprises both Igbos, Ijaws and other minorities. In fact he is far more passionate about Biafra than me tongue tongue
I don't know why you all get angry whenever there seems to be a unification between Igbos and minorities. The truth is that unlike you guys or the abo.kis, Igbos have a lot in common with our brothers in the Niger Delta than you all, at least, in terms of culture, religion, geographical location, cuisine, physical appearance, ideology etc. That's also the reason why abo.kis in the north call everyonet from this part "nyamiri" regardless of whether they are Igbo, Ibibio, Anang, Ijaw etc.
Mind you, we can care less if the minorities like us or not since it wont add or subtract from us. However, truth is stubborn and no matter how you try to subdue it, it will always rise again tongue tongue
If you think I'm lying about Tari's aspirations about a united Biafra comprising Igbos, Ijaws and others please go ahead and check his Facebook page at Tari Nemi. You will see how he always conducts research about present and past events in Nigeria.

The joke is on you grin grin

dont try it...you are asking for war...deltans like me will never agree to biafra....
Re: Ijaw Relationship With Yoruba And Igbo by justtoodark: 1:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
hammer6F:

Afonja, go and sleep, u have cried enough. cry

exactly what am talking about...you cant talk deltans like me away...cant work....

just let this biafra matter rest and will would be okay with each other....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Upload Your 4x4 And Christmas Pictures Here / PDP Crowd And APC Crowd In Zamfara / I’m On National Reconciliation Project –olawepo-hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.