Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,174 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers (8351 Views)

5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn / How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres / 13 Basic Driving Ethics Nigerian Drivers Don’t Practice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by AutoReportNG: 4:57pm On Apr 26, 2017
Whenever we are approaching the 3rd or 4th month of the year, this is an indication that the rains are here.....and driving under the rain sometimes can be somehow. I was with a friend sometimes last week on the Island and it started raining, and driving from the Island to Festac in the rain was so stressful, as in I no see anything, na grace carry us reach our destination.

So today we will be giving tips on how to drive safely when its raining.

1. Keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times

Keep all distractions, such as cell phones or even the radio, off and away from you. While focus to your front do Take a Look in Back View Mirror as well Right Hand side & Left Hand side so that you get an 360 degree over view what is happening around any mud slide or falling tree, electric pole, hanging electrical wires , or in coming hazard etc.

2. Turn on your headlights for good visual

This will make it easier for you to see what is in front of you; thus, preventing any accidents.

3. Keep a minimum of five car length from the car in front of you.

You never know what other drivers are going to do or what could happen to you! If that feels too close or too far a rule of thumb is 1 second of following distance per 10 mph (16 km/h). That holds true especially in bad weather.

4. Drive at or below the speed limit.

Remember that its raining and the ground willing be wet thereby reducing the fricition of the brakes. It is advisable you drive as a speed that you can easily control and go along with even if things want to go hay-wire. Remember you are not going for Formula 1 race.

5. Be aware that the maximum speed at which you can drive is DIRECTLY related to your tires.

Nothing makes a journey a good or bad one than having a reliable tire. Be sure to know the condition of your tyres. Radial tires have better traction than the old bias ply polyester tires, but even they lose their ability to grip wet pavement and channel water out as the tread wears out.

6. Be aware of hydroplaning.

Hydroplanning can be defined as a situation in which a vehicle slides out of control on a wet road This is where your vehicle travels on top of the water and has NO or very little contact with the ground. Your traction is reduced significantly. To safely get out of a hydroplaning situation let off the gas and steer straight or slightly in the direction you must go. Do not make sudden motions and remain calm.

7. Avoid flooded roads.

If you are a Lagos driver, by now you ought to have an idea of no go areas when it rains. Areas like Apapa, Wharf, Oshodi should be deserted or if possible, its advisable to go with the public transport. Never drive through standing or flowing water in a road way unless you have no choice or you are able to follow someone else to judge the depth of the water. Flooding the engine of your car can cause the engine to stall, and deep water can actually float your car and take it off the roadway.

8.Turn on the defroster if the windshield begins to fog.

When it rains, there are likely tendencies that your windshield gets foggy thereby affecting the proper visibility of the driver, the best way to avoid this is to turn on your defroster. In hot, muggy weather, air conditioned air (which cannot contain as much moisture) will usually clear the inside of the windshield faster than non air conditioned.

9. Brakes can be hydrophobic too

Driving in rain may be fun especially when the roads are good and the car is in good shape, but caution needs to be taken when it comes to brakes. Wet drum type brakes are prone to a decrease in stopping power after driving through deep water.

10. Watch for splashing from potholes and pools of water that accumulate at clogged storm drain pipes and low areas of the pavement.

Highways also develop “ruts” where the heaviest traffic tracks, and you may be able to position your vehicle while remaining in your lane to avoid these.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/04/rain-driving-tips-for-nigerian-drivers.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

10 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by AutoReportNG: 4:58pm On Apr 26, 2017
Now that the rain is here, Drive jeje ooo

Read more here...

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/04/rain-driving-tips-for-nigerian-drivers.html

2 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by nepapole(m): 5:28pm On Apr 26, 2017
I prefer to park at the nearest filling station when it gets too heavy.

7 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by tukdi: 5:40pm On Apr 26, 2017
nepapole:

I know dat kind of motor!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by nepapole(m): 5:43pm On Apr 26, 2017
tukdi:

I know dat kind of motor!
grin grin.. D one Wey no get wiper. Wa shere padi mi.

7 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by AutoReportNG: 5:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
nepapole:

LOL... Let me keep quiet.. cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy

4 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by tukdi: 8:15pm On Apr 26, 2017
nepapole:

4 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by naptu2: 7:05am On Apr 27, 2017
AutoReportNG:

In addition to number 2, turn on your headlights for better visibility, not your hazard lights.

4 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by echelons(m): 7:07am On Apr 27, 2017
I've been dreading this period. Driving the rain could be a nightmare.
Safety to all drivers.

1 Like

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by olatwo(m): 7:10am On Apr 27, 2017
Nice tips and I agree totally wink

3 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by clems88(m): 7:21am On Apr 27, 2017
Expecting safety tips for bicycle rider during the raining season cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by SIRKAY98(m): 7:47am On Apr 27, 2017
If you leave in River rine area take another route as your river might have become Double
This happened to me at a time when thebRiver in my area bcame full having no experience i drove enter it
Hence i got Stull in between ,causing Damage to my BrainBox of over 100k and other electrical Gadjets
Drive Safely

2 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by Goahead(m): 7:58am On Apr 27, 2017
clems88:
Expecting safety tips for bicycle rider during the raining season cheesy grin
And the pedestrians tongue

1 Like

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by chineduemmao: 8:01am On Apr 27, 2017
nepapole:

una no go kill me 4 here...

2 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by Stoicbaba(m): 8:11am On Apr 27, 2017
My driving skills is about 65% that of 007...ain't scared of even snow. Rainy days only improve them. My only fear is the damage water can do to my fan belt...yeah, it's a saloon car. However, it's good to be safe than sorry. ..take the op's advice and free me... tongue

1 Like

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by teelaw4life(m): 8:19am On Apr 27, 2017
The rut on that oshodi road around charity and cele coming towards oshodi no be here. Na so steering go just dey vibrate anyhow for person hand. In fact, you go even start to dey wonder if the road wants to hijack the vehicle from you.
Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by lonelydora: 8:49am On Apr 27, 2017
nepapole:

No good wiper, no a/c in car, tokumbo tyre on all wheels, etc. I underhand shaa. Safety first.

3 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by Xkalaban(m): 8:55am On Apr 27, 2017
9. Brakes can be hydrophobic too

Driving in the rain may be fun especially when the roads are good and the car is in good shape, but caution needs to be taken when it comes to brakes. Wet drum type brakes are prone to a decrease in stopping power after driving through deep water.

Driving in the rain is never fun for me regardless of the condition of my car. I avoid it like I avoid mosquitoesembarassed

3 Likes

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by ekene247(m): 9:46am On Apr 27, 2017
If this was posted 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't have had the accident that cost me all my money. it was a minor accident of hitting another vehicle that stopped on the road at the back...but the parts of my car are very expensive. Spent all buying parts

Thanks op

1 Like

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by nepapole(m): 12:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
lonelydora:

No good wiper, no a/c in car, tokumbo tyre on all wheels, etc. I underhand shaa. Safety first.
U gorrit..na bumper package.

1 Like

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by erekking(m): 8:23am On Apr 28, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Read more here...

Http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/04/rain-driving-tips-for-nigerian-drivers.html
recommend a very good car tracker for a tipper that is not too pricey please.

1 Like

Re: Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers by inosend: 2:52pm On Apr 28, 2017
So na grace you take drive for inside rain. Dat one mean say i go need even special grace since i dey drive front & reverse. lol

(1) (Reply)

Best Engine Oil For Honda Baby Boy / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts / Navigational System In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.