Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,205 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos (21607 Views)

How I Lost My Job Through Gambling & Becoming An Irresponsible Father / I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / Why I Lost My Job At An Airtel Shop Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Youngadvocate(m): 9:53am On Aug 09, 2018
This is the first time I would ever see this.

I just got a message on Fiverr this morning from a potential client from Bangladesh, India.

I replied and he told me he needed a Graphics Designer. Unfortunately, I'm not one. I'm just a Copywriter and Digital Marketer.

But, I offered to help him get a professional that can give him a "topnotch design." He gladly and instantly accepted.

However, there was a sharp twist of discussion when he asked me "where are you from?" and I told him I'm from Nigeria, which my Fiverr profile clearly shows. (Perhaps, he didn't see it).

As soon as I told him, he said he was busy to chat with me and bade me good bye.

But I wouldn't let him. And we had some exchange of words which I want to share with you guys.

1 Share

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Youngadvocate(m): 9:54am On Aug 09, 2018
More

Lalasticlala, CrazyMan, 1forall, Nigerians need to see this.

Modified:

Those saying "OP, you are a learner" and "you jumped into conclusion", should check my background. I. Have been a Freelancer for 3 years now.

I have dealt with lots of other clients. Even, at the moment, I am working on a long time project for an Indian client, though, on UPWORK.

This is just a clear racism experience, and I deemed it fit to share it; both to enlighten us and awaken a sense of caution amongst freelancers that may encounter such client.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by OneStep3: 9:55am On Aug 09, 2018
angry

2 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by izzou(m): 9:58am On Aug 09, 2018
I don't blame the man.

Nigeria is all over the news for drug peddling, scams, fraud, human trafficking, terrorism and the rest.

I understand how you feel. But put yourself in the man's shoes too. He was just trying to play safe.

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Immanuels7(m): 9:59am On Aug 09, 2018
Its not because you are a Nigerian alone, but Nigeria and Nigerians are known for scamming people.. Next time change your location with a VPN...
Its a shame Nigerians are seen as criminals online. Thanks to yahoo boys and "small girls big God" people.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Giddymoney(m): 9:59am On Aug 09, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 10:07am On Aug 09, 2018
But the Indian guy never said anything about you being a Nigerian. Op is jumping into conclusions.

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by sykeng(m): 10:12am On Aug 09, 2018
we are Nigerians till death, if the world don't like us, let them go to hell, in every thing we do they taught us. we have the good, the bad and the ugly. but Bubu shattered/ shattering our image with his incompetency more than any past leader who has graced that position

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by BigSarah(f): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2018
At least you get orders on fiverr regardless of your location, people that don't nko? Like yours truly cry
Fiverr.com/sarahekwueme

Who do we blame?
Buhari? , Apc?
No!
We blame every adult that voted in 2015 general elections, I'm glad I'm old enough to get my pvc, I'm gonna use it whether the vote counts or not.

Meanwhile,
Help this undergraduate Stay in business, check signature for more info

1 Like

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by GraceBestowed(f): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2018
There are very many good, trustworthy, Nigerians everywhere. The problem is the reputation that Nigerians have all over the world! Change honestly starts from every level. Politicians are looting and the garri seller in the market is hiking up prices when they notice someone with an accent. The corruption is deep rooted and will take a lot to change the perceptions the world has of us.

4 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Sirpaul(m): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2018
Life

4 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by gurunlocker: 12:17pm On Aug 09, 2018
Baba, na you jumped into conclusion from your screenshot. He said bye, just leave him. There are many Indians that offers graphics design and the contributed to larger part of graphics in any freelance website.

Concluding he said bye because you are from Nigeria makes no sense, have you thought he left you because you plan to outsource the work?

Moreover, if you are not new to freelance, you should even be happy you are not working with him because most of them are hard to work with. He will kill you with revision.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by BlackPeni5: 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
The racism was implied by the Nigerian guy...I don't blame the indian guy at all. Even me wey be Nigerian no dey do online business with Nigerians.

When our brothers are busy celebrating Yahoo and other forms of fraud, you want others to take us seriously?

23 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by adsload: 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
OP, you are a learner.

Most buyers don't care about where you come from (excluding writing niche) , they care about the quality and number of reviews you have... For writing niches On Fiverr, most buyers will go for USA sellers but that does not mean Nigerian accounts won't make sales.

I have worked with Indians in the past, most of them are crooks. If he didn't order from you, let him go, don't beg him if you don't want to regret it.

Don't beg people to buy from you but rather ,convince them.

13 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Tmonex: 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
I will just say we are our own undoing.(Our guys are bastardizing and still bastardizing online platforms and spoiling the image of the country even as we speak. So don't blame him for trying to protect his interest.)

At the same time don't beg anyone on that platform especially those who check all your reviews and quality of job done and still go ahead to ask where you're from.

They are not ready to order that's just it...Even if your profile is foreign, just stop replying after that question.
More jobs will come.

3 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Emmafe(m): 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
No good news for it comes to Niaja ni

Check my signature for Samsung phones
Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by oluwasegun007(m): 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
i don't know if it's just me, but i don't have the feeling the India guy turned him down nor reject his country.

15 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Pavore9: 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
Shebi in-house, we dey shout Igbos, afonja etc!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by seuncyber(m): 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
Na way sha

I no blame the India man oh

Just imagine they sell fufu phone for my brother yesterday for computer village and guess what the seller and buyer be the same tribe and you they blame the India man

6 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
The human mind is wonderful. First, the client was polite till the end and you call that racism? Don't let me pull up my Fiverr inbox from when I newly joined. A British guy called me a scammer and a thief to my face, we had a heavy exchange and it got so bad Fiverr had to block and delete our chat. Secondly, you're not a graphics designer but a copy writer, what's wrong with him not wanting you to look for a graphics designer for him? there are millions of graphic designers on Fiverr. You are just desperate to land a project and so you'll likely blame your failures on your flag, which is not to say you're wrong. Half the time, people take one look at your flag and leave. But it's fine, it's one the "perks" of being a Nigerian. Also, you shouldn't worry that an Indian refuse to order from you, you should worry when it's an American, Australian or a big client that gives you that attitude. Indians don't pay that much.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by omop20(m): 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nigeria:
* Politicians are fighting each other and cross carpeting to remain in power by all means so they can successfully loot our treasury completely.
*They take the monies to foreign countries that call us shitholes.
* These same leaders cry to these foreign countries for financial aids and assistance.
* They borrow us a fraction of our money with exorbitant interest rates and use the rest as humanitarian aids to assist us.
* While the leaders are scamming the people, the boys are scamming foreigners and the girls are scamming the boys.
*In 2016 we were visa-free to about 44 countries. Today its less than 30.
*In the next 10 years or less, if nothing is done about this situation and how to protect our image, we might not be allowed to travel to any country with our passports.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by justflow1(m): 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
Hmmmm its obtainable, if a name of a crime can be coined with our countrys name then wat do u expect.
Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Powerexpert: 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
shocked shocked shocked shocked Why are you disturbing yourself unnecessarily. I put it to you that you are new on the platform.

He did not run away because you're a Nigerian, he ran away because he knows you're smarter than him as a Nigerian.

If not, na cheap price im for price you.

Move on to the next client and don't disturb your head joor.

Don't you think those details shown on your page are unwarranted?

4 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by rhythyson: 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
izzou:
I don't blame the man.

Nigeria is all over the news for drug peddling, scams, fraud, human trafficking, terrorism and the rest.

I understand how you feel. But put yourself in the man's shoes too. He was just trying to play safe.

especially

1 Like

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Atikusadvocate: 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
The guys is Bangladeshi not indian, and he never said he is ending the job because you are Nigerian. You reached the conclusion yourself.

7 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Mariangeles(f): 12:21pm On Aug 09, 2018
Racism from Indians ?? Puleeeeeeeeeeeease!

1 Like

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Fahrenhite(m): 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
Touching!! But the Indian did no way specify or clarify your nationality being Nigerian as the reason he sudden bade you goodbye. Besides, some kind of idealistic jobs are country sensitive and requires professional who share the same geography.

Just my opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by BlackPantherxXx: 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
My friend, see attached the real reason he ran from you.

PLEASE, talk to your brethren angry

PS- I took the screenshot from your browser

6 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by nextstep(m): 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
This is not racism... it's common sense.

Nigeria isn't exactly known in the news for being honest, developed, or corruption-free. Between my brothers duping people online, defrauding people in person, carrying drugs, and so on, the first thing on my list would be to exclude Nigerians from anything I do, especially online.

We all have a long way to go in fixing up our image, and it really starts with improving our own economy.

It's not that the world doesn't like us, but our own leaders don't like us.

2 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by holuphisayor(m): 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
perhaps you need to check the meaning of racism.?

2 Likes

Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
The guy is running from being scammed...not becos u are Nigerian....
Re: Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos by Baroba(m): 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
Fraudsters are making it difficult for genuine buisnesses to thrive, especially online.. Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a horrible reputation when it comes to been honest.. It's up to us to help clean it up..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad / Your MBBS Is Not BMLS, Doctors Steer Clear Of The Lab!!! / Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.