Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,851 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) (35792 Views)

Doks Art: Donald Trump Recognizes Nigerian Artist Who Drew Him / Incredible Sculptures Around The World That Defy The Laws Of Gravity(Photos) / Alex Peter, Nigerian Artist Who Draws With Razor Blade On Wood. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by nigeriapenbase: 7:30pm On Aug 13, 2018
By Nigeriaapen.com.ng

News Source:https://www.nigeriapen.com.ng/laetitia-ky-the-artist-who-makes-sculptures-out-of-her-hair-id8721303-html/

This artist and fashion designer is using unconventional media to express herself — her own hair.

Laetitia Ky is an Ivorian contemporary artist who can sculpt her hair into anything and uses this talent to entertain her Instagram followers and speak out about social issues.
Laetitia Ky, from Ivory Coast, is all shades of creative. She is a visual artist, a fashion designer and a hair stylist. With her unique way of styling her hair, she makes sculptures that are sometimes political, beautiful or just weird. She uses coat hangers, wire, pins, needle and thread to create beautiful pieces on the top of her head.

In just over a year, Ky has gone viral on social media with her eccentric hair styles, been interviewed by big magazines such as BBC, gone to style Nigerian singer, Dija‘s hair, and launched a fashion brand, KYSTROY, that transposes the fun and versatility of the distressed jean with the originality and nativity of African print.

With over a 123,000 followers, the 21-year-old uses her Instagram as a social commentary on topics that range from pop culture, feminism and racism. In an interview with BBC, she says the three things that drive her art are a positive attitude, a passion to change the image of Africa and Feminism.

“As a feminist, everything related to women’s issues, including violence done to women, is something that greatly touches me,” Ky says. “I don’t think that one needs to be a feminist in order for this kind of thing to affect us. To be human is enough.”

Her passion to change the narrative is evident in one of her latest sculptures is a response to the #MeToo hashtag. The hair-art itself shows a man lifting up a woman’s skirt. In her caption, Ky encouraged women to speak out about sexual assault and start a revolution, subsequently opening her direct messages for people who needed to talk.

See some of our favourite photos from her Instagram page below....

News Source:https://www.nigeriapen.com.ng/laetitia-ky-the-artist-who-makes-sculptures-out-of-her-hair-id8721303-html/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by famzynet: 9:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
FTC. It's my first time FTC.

Who gives the prize? Hurray!!

As for the topic,what is the topic self?

Wetin ear nova hear for Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Celepope: 9:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
What's the purpose of all these?

5 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Fuadeiza(m): 9:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
Weirdo undecided

Weirdo

4 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by michaelwilli(m): 9:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
Pinshur nko
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Macopol01(m): 9:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
shocked

6 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Nickijoy(f): 9:36pm On Aug 13, 2018
Scary stuff...
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 13, 2018
Rubbish
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Nanorest: 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2018
Slay Queen with handwork
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by soberdrunk(m): 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2018
Africans we can sabi get "useless" talents sha......... angry

17 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Bintabisiriyu: 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2018
MAY GOD PUNISH SHERIFF DEPUTIES GBAGADA FOR STEALING MY SALARY

3 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by sarhleey(m): 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2018
Na ivory coast be DAT oooo.... I dey Wonder wet in 9ja babes go use dia own do...
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by tempest69: 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
Said Baba
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by queenbetsy(f): 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2018
Jeez! smiley
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by kolafolabi(m): 9:41pm On Aug 13, 2018
Very creative and unique concept..

2 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by daddio(m): 9:42pm On Aug 13, 2018
famzynet:

Na food dey abi una go follow me go Dahura ma dem nack una sanda for head?

1 Like

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by coolxpat(m): 9:49pm On Aug 13, 2018
undecided
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by SamuelTurner(m): 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2018
Emere
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Krafty006: 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2018
creativity, I create nice shoes...................quality handmade shoes, sandals and slippers 081-816-636-16

1 Like

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by mytime24(f): 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2018
She try
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Horus(m): 10:08pm On Aug 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqfkOQa8fWg

This Ivorian Artist Can Sculpt Her Hair Into Anything

Laetitia KY is a fashion designer and, as she states herself, an art addict from Ivory Coast in Africa. Recently, she's been making some waves on Instagram after releasing her new photo series in which she transforms her hair into all kinds of shapes to express her mind.

Laetitia leaves people surprised not only because of her infinite creativity, but also of the fact that our hair can be shaped in such different ways to really speak our minds

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Cutesexy1(f): 10:13pm On Aug 13, 2018
She is skillful and that's commendable

2 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by omoiyalayi(m): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2018
Wow

She deserves an accolade

Abeg whoever is with accolade shld pls give her one

Kudos

1 Like

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Corrinthians(m): 10:31pm On Aug 13, 2018
Gross. embarassed
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by pol23: 10:36pm On Aug 13, 2018
This one na Ogbanje oo
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by kenoz(m): 10:52pm On Aug 13, 2018
Wow

This is creative

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by Eslopy(m): 11:10pm On Aug 13, 2018
Scares the crap outta me �
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by onyii255(m): 3:18am On Aug 14, 2018
famzynet:

Congratulations on your first FTC.. Kindly forward your account details to the "Rewards and Settlement" department for "Processing"..

Thank you..

1 Like

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by onyii255(m): 3:19am On Aug 14, 2018
Krafty006:
creativity, I create nice shoes...................quality handmade shoes, sandals and slippers 081-816-636-16

Where are u based??
Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by DKM123: 4:55am On Aug 14, 2018
Awesome and unique art. cool

Unfortunately from the comments here, you can tell most Africans don't appreciate art. It is the oyibos that started forcing us to appreciate our own art of recent. They appreciate it much more than we do. All we think about is how to put food in our hungry belles and ofcourse, bully our women....

3 Likes

Re: Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) by bossaboss: 5:43am On Aug 14, 2018
Outside the box.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Building Art Work Designed By A Nigerian Young Man.PICS / I Am "Herbay Grafix", And I Love To Design! Check Out My Designs / #xselfiechallenge; See Beautiful Selfies (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.