Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,196 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. (20459 Views)

African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. / Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) / Lye Relaxer That Can Straighten Verrry Coarse Hair? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by Eggyloo: 8:35pm On Jun 24, 2010
The activity I dread most has arrived again. You know why? You see, I relax my hair every 6months because of it's soft texture and yet I always end up with a burnt scalp and hair. I have tried Dark and Lovely kit (the Regular and Super), Organic Best, Organic Smooth (regular & super) all to no avail; even though I leave the relaxer for a maximum of 15mins after application. I have also tried pouring powder on my hair before applying relaxer and putting it in the freezer so it can be cold. Still nothing.

It's now 9months (not the usual 6months again) since I relaxed it and I need to retouch. I'm scared of my hair and scalp getting burnt again, which hair relaxer can I use?
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by Meeromon: 9:41pm On Jun 25, 2010
9 months!! That's way too long. Could have suggested u try Organics product but since that didn't suit you, you can try Gentle treatment or Soft & Beautiful. After that, you will be able to determine the relaxer that best suits your hair type.
Hope this helps, ;-)
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by iphy42: 2:18am On Jun 26, 2010
try 'gentle tratment' kit and see . I used to have similar problems but its all in the past now
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by oyinda3(f): 5:45am On Jun 26, 2010
if your hair is already soft, why do you need relaxer?
just buy a flat iron

but anyways, you can try the ones for kids. they are mild.
also, try going to a professional to get it done because you might be doing something wrong to burn ur scalp.
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by madlady(f): 6:41am On Jun 26, 2010
oyinda.:

if your hair is already soft, why do you need relaxer?
just buy a flat iron

but anyways, you can try the ones for kids. they are mild.
also, try going to a professional to get it done because you might be doing something wrong to burn your scalp.

That's the route I've always taken, but it's taking up too much of my time.

I didn't realise you had perms for kids, can you recommend a good one?
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by oyinda3(f): 6:46am On Jun 26, 2010
if you go to most beauty stores you will see them. or even convenience stores like walgreens etc
you can ask the store clerks for suggestions. I don't have experience with them (my hair is definitely not "soft" lol) so i don't really have suggestions.

Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by madlady(f): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2010
oyinda.:

if you go to most beauty stores you will see them. or even convenience stores like walgreens etc
you can ask the store clerks for suggestions. I don't have experience with them (my hair is definitely not "soft" lol) so i don't really have suggestions.

Cool, smiley

Thank you. I'm in the UK (London) we have all these products in the hair product shops but, the sellers are now Eastern European  and have no idea how/what advice to give. I've not noticed the kits for kids, I shall take a look at those and see if I can manage to do it myself undecided.

I'VE been adviced by hairdressers that the home kits are not suitable for  what they call mixed race peoples hair.

US appears to be far more savy with regards to the care of all types of black peoples hair.
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by VENUSS(f): 7:33am On Jun 27, 2010
15mins is way to much for ur hair type.at most 10 mins and you shuld really try d one for kids. Dark and lovely-just 4 me or beautiful beginng. Also gt a profesional to apply it.
Re: Relaxer For Soft Hair, Ur Recommendations. by ajilete(f): 8:53pm On Jun 28, 2010
Hi Eggyloo,
I feel you. It may be you have a very sensitive scalp. Now in addition to the recommended relaxers please take note of these
[list]
[li]make sure you dont handle your hair a few days to relaxing- avoid scratching, the reason for this is that the build up of dead scalp cells acts as a buffer to the new sensitive scalp cells on the skin
[list]
[

[/list]dont remove braids less than 5 days before retouching- ideally if you have removed your braids, leave your hair for at least 5 days; avoid brushing and combing scalp as this willmake it more sensitive;keep moisturising scalp with shea butter but make sure you do not scratch; you could wear a wig til you retouch to avoid handling the hair
[list]
i

[/list]vaseline is a very good base for protecting the scalp from the relaxer
dont wash your hair, at the very least a week before retouching- the dirtier your hair is(yes i know it sounds yuky!)the less irritation to you scalp when you retouch[/li]
[/li]
[/list]

also try putting less relaxer for a shorter amount of time.o
i hope all this helps, but seriously the less you handle your hair before the day the less irritated your scalp will be.
Good luck!!!

(1) (Reply)

10 Things Every Woman Must Own / Miss Cross River Princess Mercy Odey Abu Crowned Queen Of Aso International / Tiv Traditional Attires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.