Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

How Textbooks Should Be Studied(part 2) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Textbooks Should Be Studied(part 2) (445 Views)

Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? / 15 Courses That May No Longer Be Studied In Polytechnics. / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Textbooks Should Be Studied(part 2) by HeirApparent(m): 2:58pm On Aug 20, 2018
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself"
(Albert Einstein)
How can a student understand his/her subjects so well that he or she could simply explain it succinctly to a six year old? Is that even possible?
Yes it is. I assure you it's possible, if only you're willing to put in the intellectual work required. In my last post, I did say that the proper place to start studying your textbook is the fundamental concept of the subject. And that you can express the definition of the central concept of the subject in your own words, without distorting its sense.
To succeed at this, you need to do some due diligence in checking up the meaning from other sources outside your textbook such as an encyclopaedia, dictionary, internet e.t.c. Then compare your findings with the definition in your textbook. Try to determine what is common to all of them and get a sense of what they all agree on. Write out what you think their shared meaning is. Do you understand it? Can you express it again in other words? Can you explain it further? Can you illustrate it? Can you give an example of how it applies to real life situations? Once you succeed in having a firm grasp of this central concept, being able to express and explicate it in your own words, it becomes a formidable framework within which you can integrate other "parts" of the textbook.
You see, the proof of your understanding of a subject or course is not your ability to reel out definitions but in your ability to express basic concepts briefly and concisely, in your own words, explain it in clear and simple terms, illustrate it using analogy, as well as give example of how it applies to real life scenarios.
What is calculus? Can you explain the concept of calculus to a six year old, using your own words? How does calculus apply to your everyday life? Can you illustrate the concept of calculus, using the appropriate analogy?
Friends, I kid you not, there is a path to real knowledge. Though the terrain is rough and tough, the discoveries it makes possible are phenomenal!
Can I digress a bit? Please indulge me.
We are living in very strange times and we can't afford to continue in this feeble mode of learning any more. The times have changed. The quality of your life is a function of the quality of your thinking. Please, don't do yourself a disservice by being obsessed with merely obtaining a good certificate (it's not wrong in itself), but concern yourself more with cultivating your intellect. Learn to exercise your mind by thinking through the logic of your textbooks.
Does it not bother you that despite spending 3yrs in studying the human anatomy in your secondary school biology(even if it's at the elementary level), yet, most biology students can't explain how all "parts" of their own body function together as a coherent whole? And this is after being taught the anatomical systems: The skeletal system, nervous system, respiratory system, reproductive system, circulatory system, digestive system, excretory system and immune system. Plus all the sense organs: the eyes, ears, nose, tongue and the skin.
It breaks my heart when brilliant and A-list biology students stutter and beat about the bush when asked to explain the functional relationship between the nervous system and the excretory system. If you belong or once belonged to these league of smart students, yet you cant give us a clear picture of how these several parts of our body interrelate mutually as a whole, please, "hide your face!" (I'm only kidding). Did I hear you say that what am saying are things that are supposed to be learned in a medical class? Not true. Remember that a medical class is an extension of a biology class.
Am I trying to have a go at biology students? Definitely not. I was a victim myself! It's not a student problem (students have a role to play though). It's a system problem. The dilapidated state of our educational system is my recurrent nightmare. But, I strongly belief you and I can effect a drastic change. Meanwhile, thanks for indulging me.
Re: How Textbooks Should Be Studied(part 2) by Stephaustin(m): 12:07pm On Aug 22, 2018
HeirApparent:
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself"
(Albert Einstein)
How can a student understand his/her subjects so well that he or she could simply explain it succinctly to a six year old? Is that even possible?
Yes it is. I assure you it's possible, if only you're willing to put in the intellectual work required. In my last post, I did say that the proper place to start studying your textbook is the fundamental concept of the subject. And that you can express the definition of the central concept of the subject in your own words, without distorting its sense.
To succeed at this, you need to do some due diligence in checking up the meaning from other sources outside your textbook such as an encyclopaedia, dictionary, internet e.t.c. Then compare your findings with the definition in your textbook. Try to determine what is common to all of them and get a sense of what they all agree on. Write out what you think their shared meaning is. Do you understand it? Can you express it again in other words? Can you explain it further? Can you illustrate it? Can you give an example of how it applies to real life situations? Once you succeed in having a firm grasp of this central concept, being able to express and explicate it in your own words, it becomes a formidable framework within which you can integrate other "parts" of the textbook.
You see, the proof of your understanding of a subject or course is not your ability to reel out definitions but in your ability to express basic concepts briefly and concisely, in your own words, explain it in clear and simple terms, illustrate it using analogy, as well as give example of how it applies to real life scenarios.
What is calculus? Can you explain the concept of calculus to a six year old, using your own words? How does calculus apply to your everyday life? Can you illustrate the concept of calculus, using the appropriate analogy?
Friends, I kid you not, there is a path to real knowledge. Though the terrain is rough and tough, the discoveries it makes possible are phenomenal!
Can I digress a bit? Please indulge me.
We are living in very strange times and we can't afford to continue in this feeble mode of learning any more. The times have changed. The quality of your life is a function of the quality of your thinking. Please, don't do yourself a disservice by being obsessed with merely obtaining a good certificate (it's not wrong in itself), but concern yourself more with cultivating your intellect. Learn to exercise your mind by thinking through the logic of your textbooks.
Does it not bother you that despite spending 3yrs in studying the human anatomy in your secondary school biology(even if it's at the elementary level), yet, most biology students can't explain how all "parts" of their own body function together as a coherent whole? And this is after being taught the anatomical systems: The skeletal system, nervous system, respiratory system, reproductive system, circulatory system, digestive system, excretory system and immune system. Plus all the sense organs: the eyes, ears, nose, tongue and the skin.
It breaks my heart when brilliant and A-list biology students stutter and beat about the bush when asked to explain the functional relationship between the nervous system and the excretory system. If you belong or once belonged to these league of smart students, yet you cant give us a clear picture of how these several parts of our body interrelate mutually as a whole, please, "hide your face!" (I'm only kidding). Did I hear you say that what am saying are things that are supposed to be learned in a medical class? Not true. Remember that a medical class is an extension of a biology class.
Am I trying to have a go at biology students? Definitely not. I was a victim myself! It's not a student problem (students have a role to play though). It's a system problem. The dilapidated state of our educational system is my recurrent nightmare. But, I strongly belief you and I can effect a drastic change. Meanwhile, thanks for indulging me.

I give you kudos for this wonderful and indispensable message.
I really learnt a lot from this. In fact, I see this message as personally directed to me.
Thank you very much.

Please if you wouldn't mind, you can make this an update to your first post.

On another note, I seek permission to copy this but with proper acknowledgment.

1 Like

Re: How Textbooks Should Be Studied(part 2) by HeirApparent(m): 8:22am On Aug 27, 2018
Stephaustin:

I give you kudos for this wonderful and indispensable message.
I really learnt a lot from this. In fact, I see this message as personally directed to me.
Thank you very much.

Please if you wouldn't mind, you can make this an update to your first post.

On another note, I seek permission to copy this but with proper acknowledgment.

I'm sorry this is coming somewhat late. I'm excited to know that you found the post relevant and that you could relate with its content. For that, I'm grateful.
And yes, permission is granted. Please feel free to copy it and spread the message.
Meanwhile, you gave two wonderful suggestions:
1) To make this post an update to the part 1, instead of having it separately.
2) To make use of paragraphs in order to enhance readability.
I'm a novice in this arena. I've been trying to implement these suggestions but I couldn't get it. Maybe it's the phone I'm using. Could you please help me out?

(1) (Reply)

Grammar Challenge: Write A Sentence & Get Hit By Critics. / How Do You Go About Studying Abroad? / UNILAG Announces Registration & Screening Procedure For 2018/19 Newly Admitted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.