Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,338 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

What Made You Become An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Made You Become An Atheist (5851 Views)

I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / An Atheist On Judgment Day / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Made You Become An Atheist by Dboy55(m): 9:03am On Aug 21, 2018
Good Morning Nairalanders,so i was having some deep thoughts these morning and one of them was why would make anyone to believe there is no God,thereby becoming an atheist.
So atheists on nairaland,what made you become an atheist ?
Cc:Seun,Hardmirror

1 Like

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 9:05am On Aug 21, 2018
Because there is no good evidence that god exists past emotional appeal and argument from ignorance

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by Abjay97(m): 9:12am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Because there is no good evidence that god exists past emotional appeal and argument from ignorance
.. Nice one.. but one quick question for you.. Have you had a paranormal exprience before?
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 9:17am On Aug 21, 2018
Abjay97:
.. Nice one.. but one quick question for you.. Have you had a paranormal exprience before?

I've had experiences which I thought was paranormal but explanations abound for them. like sleepwalking when I was young, being pressed down in my sleep aka sleep paralysis

If you are so inclined to believe in the supernatural there's no limit to what you can claim is supernatural

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 9:27am On Aug 21, 2018
Dboy55:
Good Morning Nairalanders,so i was having some deep thoughts these morning and one of them was why would make anyone to believe there is no God,thereby becoming an atheist.
So atheists on nairaland,what made you become an atheist ?

Questioning who told them, or what made them think, there is a god in the first place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by kevoh(m): 9:52am On Aug 21, 2018
Abjay97:
Quick question for you, is paranormal an evidence for this god you are talking of?

Let's assume that paranormal activities are real and also assume again that science have demonstrated them to be real. Too many assumptions already! How do we then connect these activities as proof that your god exist?

Secondly, how do you define your god? Which of the gods is it that you are referring to in your answer to my second paragraph!

Caveat: There's no time I have agreed that paranormal is real!
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 10:09am On Aug 21, 2018
kevoh:

Quick question for you, is paranormal an evidence for this god you are talking of?

Let's assume that paranormal activities are real and also assume again that science have demonstrated them to be real. Too many assumptions already! How do we then connect these activities as proof that your god exist?

Secondly, how do you define your god? Which of the gods is it that you are referring to in your answer to my second paragraph!

Good points, but you evaded his question.

Have you had a paranormal exprience before?
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by kevoh(m): 10:20am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

Bebeto! grin ITK tongue His question was what made me become an atheist(as defined by Nairaland)? That has been asked repeatedly on this board and I think the reply given by hopefulLandlord covers it.
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 10:20am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

the question is irrelevant though, that's Kevoh's point

1 Like

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 10:31am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

kevoh:

Bebeto! grin ITK tongue His question was what made me become an atheist(as defined by Nairaland)? That has been asked repeatedly on this board and I think the reply given by hopefulLandlord covers it.

Is hopefulLandlord, now your spokesperson on Nairaland?

You are spending more time falling over yourselves and contradicting each other than giving a simple answer to the question. Why?

1 Like

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 21, 2018
Spiritual Awakening! When your DNA strands & Chakras (which your god forgot to mention through his holy spirit inspired written holy books) are activated, you will perceive the truth with all your senses and smell the lies from thousands of kilometers away.

As it is written in your holy books - "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Do not confine yourself to just 1 holy book written the 6th century by some Roman charlatans under the influence of alcohol.

Explore all the resources available to mankind if you're yearning to know the truth concerning all things - and you will succeed.

5 Likes

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 10:35am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
If you are so inclined to believe in the supernatural there's no limit to what you can claim is supernatural

hopefulLandlord:

If you arbitrarily declare things irrelevant, there is also no limit to what you can claim.
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by EmperorHarry: 10:37am On Aug 21, 2018
Theisms and atheism are both important parts of this puzzle called life...Both are collecting pieces to the jigsaw puzzle but refuse to cooperate with each other believing that they both have the correct pieces,not knowing that they haven't even gotten half the pieces required to fully complete it between them..The next step would be fixing the pieces together so they make sense but I'm afraid hundreds of generations would have to pass and human intelligence would have to transcend race,religion or ethnicity.It would have to be a generation full of intellectuals looking for answers in unity...Until then I'm afraid we all are deluded with some more deluded than others with a lot of pieces yet to be recovered

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 10:42am On Aug 21, 2018
EmperorHarry:
Theisms and atheism are both important parts of this puzzle called life...Both are collecting pieces to the jigsaw puzzle but refuse to cooperate with each other believing that they both have the correct pieces,not knowing that they haven't even gotten half the pieces required to fully complete it between them..The next step would be fixing the pieces together so they make sense but I'm afraid hundreds of generations would have to pass and human intelligence would have to transcend race,religion or ethnicity.It would have to be a generation full of intellectuals looking for answers in unity...Until then I'm afraid we all are deluded with some more deluded than others with a lot of pieces yet to be recovered

You are falling into your own trap of making arbitrary assumptions and assertions about things outside your experience.

2 Likes

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 10:44am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

If you arbitrarily declare things irrelevant, there is also no limit to what you can claim.

Supernatural does not prove god, there are atheists that actually thinks supernatural exists so that's what makes it irrelevant. its like a believer in spiderman asking someone who doesn't believe in spiderman if he believes New York exists.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by kevoh(m): 10:46am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

Is hopefulLandlord, now your spokesperson on Nairaland?

You are spending more time falling over yourselves and contradicting each other than giving a simple answer to the question. Why?

No wahala, let's keep falling over ourselves and no, I don't have to agree with hopefulLandlord just because I'm atheist. That's the beauty of it. I can contradict and agree at my own will unlike majority of religious folks. The question of why one became an atheist can be summarized in that one post by hopefulLandlord another atheist can disagree, if it's giving you stomach ache that's your problem. I don't see why I should dwell on irrelevant subject.

1 Like

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 10:55am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Supernatural does not prove god, there are atheists that actually thinks supernatural exists so that's what makes it irrelevant. its like a believer in spiderman asking someone who doesn't believe in spiderman if he believes New York exists.

It's OK, YOU DID answer the question, and you left the ball in Abjay's court. (kevoh didn't).

Your initial answer was the correct way to debate.

Not answering the question as a result of interposing your own logic into your interlocutor's logic would be arguing with yourself. It is similar to a Christian refusing to answer one of your questions because of some verse from the Bible that "obviously" makes your question "irrelevant".
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 10:59am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

It's OK, YOU DID answer the question, and you left the ball in Abjay's court. (kevoh didn't).

Your initial answer was the correct way to debate.

Not answering the question as a result of interposing your own logic into your interlocutor's logic would be arguing with yourself. It is similar to a Christian refusing to answer one of your questions because of some verse from the Bible that "obviously" makes your question "irrelevant".

Let's move on
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by kevoh(m): 11:01am On Aug 21, 2018
kevoh:

Abjay97, your response to the above please.
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 11:01am On Aug 21, 2018
kevoh:

No wahala, let's keep falling over ourselves and no, I don't have to agree with hopefulLandlord just because I'm atheist. That's the beauty of it. I can contradict and agree at my own will unlike majority of religious folks. The question of why one became an atheist can be summarized in that one post by hopefulLandlord another atheist can disagree, if it's giving you stomach ache that's your problem. I don't see why I should dwell on irrelevant subject.

You don't sound confident of your position to me.

All you had to say was something like:

"I have always been able to explain my experiences using science." (Instead, four or five posts have gone into defensive posturing.)

Then somebody else could ask you:

"Is your position only agnostic, as you are not ruling out non-science explanations."

etc.

Then we have dynamic, higher level, mature debate, instead of prevarication. cool
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 11:05am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Let's move on

So, are you only agnostic?

You have found available scientific explanations that satisfy you, for your experiences. That does not rule out the possibility of non-scientific "explanations" or connections.
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by kevoh(m): 11:07am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

You don't sound confident of your position to me.

All you had to say was something like:

"I have always been able to explain my experiences using science." (Instead, four or five posts have gone into defensive posturing.)

Then somebody else could ask you:

"Is your position only agnostic, as you are not ruling out non-science explanations."

etc.

Then we have dynamic, higher level, mature debate, instead of prevarication. cool
Ok,ok,ok have heard you, I'm less confident.. Can you move to the left let me see road now...! Abjay97, I await your response jare!
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:08am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

So, are you only agnostic?

You have found available scientific explanations that satisfy you, for your experiences. That does not rule out the possibility of non-scientific "explanations" or connections.

I'm an atheist.

Did I answer your question?
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 11:11am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I'm an atheist.

Did I answer your question?

Yes, but you have not explained what makes you an atheist.

You have only explained what makes you agnostic.
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:12am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

Yes, but you have not explained what makes you an atheist.
You have only explained what makes you agnostic.
How do you mean?
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:13am On Aug 21, 2018
double post
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 11:18am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

How do you mean?

Well, your position so far, is this:

hopefulLandlord:

An "emotional argument from ignorance" as you call it, can still turn out to be a "correct" one, can it not? It only means that the person got it right in a clumsy fashion, perhaps.

1 Like

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:22am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

Well, your position so far, is this:

An "emotional argument from ignorance" as you call it, can still turn out to be a "correct" one, can it not? It only means that the person got it right in a clumsy fashion, perhaps.

Argument from ignorance aren't evidence, are they? that I don't know something doesn't mean I can just call it proof of something else I desperately want to exist. ignorance is proof of ignorance.
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 11:26am On Aug 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Argument from ignorance aren't evidence, are they? that I don't know something doesn't mean I can just call it proof of something else I desperately want to exist. ignorance is proof of ignorance.

You don't need proof for something to be "correct". The Earth didn't turn round after it was proven to be round.

You position seems to be that you don't see any proof of "god", rather than you see proof of no god.

There is a difference.

2 Likes

Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by EmperorHarry: 11:29am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

You are falling into your own trap of making arbitrary assumptions and assertions about things outside your experience.
Sadly I am,hence the use of the words "we all"...I've included myself and the thousands of scholars and researchers who over the years have proposed theories that are both irrelevant and relevant even today..For there was a time when the earth's greatest minds once concluded that the earth was flat and that the sun moved around the earth...There was a time when humans believed that air travel was impossible and that once a person heart's stops beating,he's automatically dead.And they would have argued vehemently and with as much conviction as we do now only to discover that what we think we know may not actually be true..Even the ones we experience
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:35am On Aug 21, 2018
sinequanon:

You don't need proof for something to be "correct". The Earth didn't turn round after it was proven to be round.

You position seems to be that you don't see any proof of "god", rather than you see proof of no god.

There is a difference.

What does "proof of no god" even mean?
Re: What Made You Become An Atheist by sinequanon: 11:36am On Aug 21, 2018
EmperorHarry:

Sadly I am,hence the use of the words "we all"...I've included myself and the thousands of scholars and researchers who over the years have proposed theories that are both irrelevant and relevant even today..For there was a time when the earth's greatest minds once concluded that the earth was flat and that the sun moved around the earth...There was a time when humans believed that air travel was impossible and that once a person heart's stops beating,he's automatically dead.And they would have argued vehemently and with as much conviction as we do now only to discover that what we think we know may not actually be true..Even the ones we experience

Your honesty is refreshing, my friend.

btw, there is nothing wrong with saying that the Sun moves round the Earth. In fact, this point is an excellent example of how the vast majority of us lack the depth of understanding of what the issue is on this point. We simply repeat what we are told.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What I Just Discovered Is Guaranteed To Make You Throw Your Bible Away! 100% / Don't Replace The Word "A.L.L.A.H" With God, They Are Not The Same / Non Religious Believers in god Come Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.