Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? (2015 Views)

Photos: 4 Nigerian Students Found Dead In An Apartment In Georgia / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by Laughter1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2010
Hello Great Nairalanders. Everyone is more than welcome to advise. Especially Nigerians who are studying in US and UK universities. I am an individual that cherish Int'l education a lot, and I believe it will open doors of opportunities in Nigeria for the future. Most people have argued that it is cheaper and faster to have masters here in the UK than in the US, because its only a year in the UK and as such cheaper on the long run compared to USA where masters is almost 2years. Others have argued that masters in US looks more promising because of better opportunites and size. More importantly, I ve been informed that both Postgrad students and undergrad students cannot work off campus in the USA (F1 status requirement) unlike UK where you are allowed to work off campus and make some £££ but with limited hours (i know this because I m in UK). Is this truely the case in the states? I would like great NLs who have had Postgrad studies in the US and UK to judge this topic from experience and to provide practical advise on this topic. You advise might just help a brother make a good decision.

NB: I m not asking for a comparison of the two countries, I would only like to know if its true you can't work as a student in US and if a masters in US is more promising than a masters in UK.

Many Thanks
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by johnkent(m): 6:30am On Jun 26, 2010
if you're in the US on a F-1 student visa, u are allowed to work on-campus for not more than 20hrs/wk. Under some special circumstances will USCIS allow you to work off-campus while ur in school (e.g death in the family that has lead to inability to pay tuition or hyperinflation in your home country etc).
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by oyinda3(f): 6:38am On Jun 26, 2010
yea u can work off campus but you have to register it with your school as an academic internship or something like that.
and you can work on campus as part of your financial aid.
otherwise, you can work illegally with some small store where you get paid under the table ex babysitting, small stores etc as opposed to big companies where u have to show your identity etc.
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by Laughter1(m): 8:56pm On Jun 26, 2010
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by oyewolejos(m): 9:47pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sure u can work offcampus if u have economic hardship.U will need a permission from USCIS before u can pick up off-campus employment. But as earlier stated u can work under the table especially with Nigerians.The pay might be low but is still something that can pay your bills.But u are legally required to work 20 hours on campus during school term and 40 hours during Summer break. ;DBut u know Nigerians have their own laws so u can work till eternity if is under the table grin grin
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by Pittbaby(f): 5:26am On Jun 27, 2010
Economic Hardship , OPT and CPT allow you to work off campus .
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by Laughter1(m): 9:54pm On Jun 27, 2010
Thanks a lot for your responses people

Its quite disappointing to find out that Int'l students can't work off campus in US except in very special circumstances. Their's defo gonna be serious competition with on campus jobs. It must be very hard to find on campus job then, I wonder how Int'l students without on campus jobs will be able to survive. Is the ban on off campus jobs just for the first year only or for as long as one is on the F-1 student visa status?
Re: Can Nigerian Students Work Either On Campus/off Campus In Usa? by Pittbaby(f): 11:35pm On Jun 27, 2010
Off Campus work is illegal as long as you a student . Except under CPT, or Economic Hardship. OPT is available mostly after graduation for 1-2 years

(1) (Reply)

DUBLIN Or INDIA, Which Is Good For Someone Searching For Greener Pasture? ADVICE / Plz Help Me With Direction In Ijebu / Steps To Take To Travel Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.