Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila (1253 Views)

Why Saraki Is Afraid Of Reconvening - APC / Why Saraki, Tinubu Are Fighting – Afenifere / Why Saraki Didn't Defect To PDP Just Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Neatnewz: 11:43am On Aug 22, 2018
The leader of the House of Representatives and chairman of the APC Caucus, Femi Gbajabiamila, has explained why Bukola Saraki must step down as the Senate President.

In an interview with Premium Times, Gbajabiamila said that though he was family friend with Saraki, this was based on the “letter of the law”.

According to the lawmaker who cited the US Congress as an example, it was not about impeachment, but Saraki’s eligibility for the office he occupies.

“The Senate President is a family friend I grew up with and did not know or meet in politics. That’s why this has been particularly difficult for me and I wish the situation was not what it is now.

I believe beyond the 2/3rds debate, a constitution or law is interpreted based on the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. If a provision is ambiguous as it apparently is now you look at the intention of the drafters and framers if the constitution.

“So the question is – could it have been the intention of the framers that a minority or opposition member would be a senate president? The answer is clearly no. Any other interpretation will lead to absurdity.

If we say yes the law did not mind a situation where such would happen then it means an opposition senate president can use his position to make sure the ruling party/government fails.

It would be in his interest to do so, so as to give his opposition party the opportunity to take over the government. This could never have been the intention.

“If I were the Senate president and I belonged to the opposition I would........[263 more words) http://www.hintnewz.com/2018/08/why-saraki-must-quit-as-senate.html

1 Like

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Metuh: 11:45am On Aug 22, 2018
Saraki this, Saraki that. grin

APC nightmares

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Neatnewz: 12:06pm On Aug 22, 2018
Metuh:
Saraki this, Saraki that. grin

APC nightmares
them no get thereselfs
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by codedguy1(m): 12:14pm On Aug 22, 2018
Abeg wetin Gbajabiamila say when Tambuwal defect?

grin grin
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by paxonel(m): 12:24pm On Aug 22, 2018
How this saraki dey stop this apc from working sef?

They keep looking for people to blame for their failures. The other time na Jonathan, today na saraki.

Nigeria which way? grin
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by magoo10(m): 12:26pm On Aug 22, 2018

According to the lawmaker who cited the US Congress as an example, it was not about impeachment, but Saraki’s eligibility for the office he occupies.

Hypocrites always citing USA as example when they want to fool themselves.

Can the president of united states be absent from office for 3months on health grounds without disclosing the nature of his ailment ,or can the president of america disregard valid court judgements severally. No

Saraki controls the senate ,APC should suck it up

5 Likes

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by uboma(m): 12:28pm On Aug 22, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 22, 2018
Stories... if its not 2/3, forget it.
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Neatnewz: 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2018
paxonel:
How this saraki dey stop this apc from working sef?

They keep looking for people to blame for their failures. The other time na Jonathan, today na saraki.

Nigeria which way? grin
seems there is something secret btw them, though Saraki used scope enter Senate, he's a thief, they are all thieves, we are all scammers �

1 Like

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Neatnewz: 3:44pm On Aug 22, 2018
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by velocity25(m): 4:02pm On Aug 22, 2018
how did Saraki stops APC from working is what I don't know.
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by gare(f): 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2018
Neatnewz:
The leader of the House of Representatives and chairman of the APC Caucus, Femi Gbajabiamila, has explained why Bukola Saraki must step down as the Senate President.

In an interview with Premium Times, Gbajabiamila said that though he was family friend with Saraki, this was based on the “letter of the law”.

“The Senate President is a family friend I grew up with and did not know or meet in politics. That’s why this has been particularly difficult for me and I wish the situation was not what it is now.

I believe beyond the 2/3rds debate, a constitution or law is interpreted based on the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. If a provision is ambiguous as it apparently is now you look at the intention of the drafters and framers if the constitution.

“So the question is – could it have been the intention of the framers that a minority or opposition member would be a senate president? The answer is clearly no. Any other interpretation will lead to absurdity.

If we say yes the law did not mind a situation where such would happen then it means an opposition senate president can use his position to make sure the ruling party/government fails.

It would be in his interest to do so, so as to give his opposition party the opportunity to take over the government. This could never have been the intention.

“If I were the Senate president and I belonged to the opposition I would........[263 more words) http://www.hintnewz.com/2018/08/why-saraki-must-quit-as-senate.html

YOU GUYS WILL KILL YOURSELVES OVER SARAKI, NA WA SO YOU, SO APC, PRESIDENCY DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO THAN TO SEEK FOR THE REMOVAL OF SARAKI. SO WHOSE TURN WILL IT BE TOMORROW SPEAK ON THE ISSUES, WE WOULD PREFER IF YOU JUST PUBLISH A TIMETABLE SO WE KNOW WHO WILL BE COMING THE NEXT DAY , USELESS PARTY

1 Like

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Enice(m): 4:27pm On Aug 22, 2018
Esseite:
Stories... if its not 2/3, forget it.
2/3 of 109 or 2/3 of quorum. If you say the former, then the idea of the constitution has been defeated cause at present we do not have a complete senate.
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Neatnewz: 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2018
Enice:
2/3 of 109 or 2/3 of quorum. If you say the former, then the idea of the constitution has been defeated cause at present we do not have a complete senate.
don't mind the guy
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Blackfire(m): 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2018
Go and remove him na...
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by coolscott(m): 6:07pm On Aug 22, 2018
It is not good that legislators who are supposed to be makers of the law are trying to appeal to all kinds of things to make us believe Saraki should resign, other than the written letters of the law.

All those who will not fall back to the written letters of the law regarding the Saraki matter, may indeed not be fit to be our senators.
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by earnvest: 6:54pm On Aug 22, 2018
magoo10:

Hypocrites always citing USA as example when they want to fool themselves.

Can the president of united states be absent from office for 3months on health grounds without disclosing the nature of his ailment ,or can the president of america disregard valid court judgements severally. No

Saraki controls the senate ,APC should suck it up

Spot on. When it favours them, they cite things happening in the US, but when they should be copying the US to better the Nigerian lot, they look the other way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Bizibi(m): 7:09pm On Aug 22, 2018
Nobody is talking about the supplementary budget,every time saraki,saraki!!! It seems they don't know everything is on hold because of that budget.
Re: Why Saraki Must Vacate Office -hon Gbajabiamila by Omeokachie: 8:32pm On Aug 22, 2018
Femi Gbajabiamila has been in the house of reps since 1999.

How about him showing good example by vacating and giving someone else a chance to represent the people?

Oh, I guess he needs to stay on so he can collect more money to buy another G-wagon for his woman.

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: 5 Most Handsome Politicians In Nigeria. / Ndigbo And The Search For A Surrogate Mother / Happening Now: Sanwo-olu Live At The Lord's Chosen Headquarters Ijesha Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.