Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer (6587 Views)

Diesel And Petrol Vehicles May Be Banned In The Next 10 Years In Nigeria / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by dustydee: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2018
I struggled with buying a diesel car but in the end due to the anticipated distance I was going to be commuting I reluctantly went for a diesel and it's been good so far. Lower taxes, bigger engine with lower fuel consumption.
In Nigeria I'll go for petrol because of maintenance issues.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 24, 2018
erico2k2:

Let me ask you same question, what parts of a diesel Range Rover do you think is not available or more expensive than the petrol one, care to share??

It might actually be cheaper, but In Nigeria here because you have less people dealing on the rangerover diesel engine parts, be ready to pay way more extra than the petrol. And the wait periods, the energy wasted in getting a single part may not just be worth it..
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by greatfa2013(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2018
amstardi:
98% of cars in Germany are diesel
Unfortunately most cities in Germany are banning diesel engine just like Hamburg and in near future there will be no diesel cars allowed in Germany or in Europe
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2018
Esseite:

It might actually be cheaper, but In Nigeria here because you have less people dealing on the rangerover diesel engine parts, be ready to pay way more extra than the petrol. And the wait periods, the energy wasted in getting a single part may not just be worth it..
Bross, for the 2nd time, like which PART
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 8:52am On Aug 24, 2018
greatfa2013:

Unfortunately most cities in Germany are banning diesel engine just like Hamburg and in near future there will be no diesel cars allowed in Germany or in Europe
we heard that years ago, it was same group of people who said Diesel was better than petrol in terms of emission. DEm don carry this one come now, what do you think will happen to the Trucks and heavy machines? who is going to build powerful petrol Engines?
In the UK, it is Older Diesel cars that are being phased out. Tell a lie, they are being taxed higher no phased out grin grin grin
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 9:01am On Aug 24, 2018
Dottore:
Diesel Engines are noisy and messy but more rugged and durable. Petrol engine are faster and more quiet and cleaner but not as rugged as diesel.
not the newer Engine, that has been taken care of. If we was talking of Older Diesel ie pre 2003 then yeah
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 9:02am On Aug 24, 2018
EdoBoy90:

Today's era of technology, petrol cars are powerful ok

With my experience in one of the auto companies in Nigeria, I will go for petrol cars. 80 or 90% of Nigerian cars are petrol cars.
powerful in what sense? how many petrol Bulldozers have U seen? or are we talking something else?
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by IEJames(m): 9:11am On Aug 24, 2018
» For high torque and efficiency demand, go for a diesel engine: Its compression ratio gives it that remarkable edge over the petrol engine.

» For low and sub-zero temperature conditions, the petrol engine beats it all: Its good vapour pressure makes it ready to combust at this downward extremes since combustion is what generates power from the engine. A diesel engine user would always encounter cold starting which could lead to plugging and pump damage in this condition.

» A diesel engine consumes less fuel. The hydrocarbon compounds in its make up are quite heavier, these compounds take more time to combust.

» Petrol engines are perpetual victims to knocking and pinking. This is due to premature ignition...
which happens when the highly volatile petrol percolates into the combustion chamber and ignites even before time.

» Vapour locking is an inherent issue with petrol engines. In hot conditions, it's possible for petrol to evaporate through the tubings, this makes for void spaces, raising the tendency for gases instead of fuel to find way into the combustion chamber. At this point, the oxygen to fuel ratio betrays the stoicheometric balance that would allow for combustion. Hence, hard starting sets in.

» Diesel,a.k.a AGO has shown from laboratory analysis to contain incombustible residues. This is what causes plugging and high carbon emissions to the engine members and environment respectively. Fossil emissions are not eco friendly in any way round.

» Diesel engines = very noisy, high compression and heavy side hits of pistons largely responsible.

» Temperate regions are better navigated with petrol engine cars.
Tropic countries wouldn't struggle over using diesel engines

» Well, if you own a car or truck tacked on hauling heavy loads, a petrol engine would definitely want you to attach an extra tank and secondary engine to make the journey.

Choose to suite your demand and pocketmetrics. Thanks.

Only Jesus can save! Call upon His name.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by fr3do(m): 9:12am On Aug 24, 2018
erico2k2:

Thank you and it is built stronger cos of the way it works . Compression against expansion

Explain? With the little I know about internal combustion engines, i know both petrol and diesel engines expand
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Realchuksman(m): 9:41am On Aug 24, 2018
I think most diesel engine cars have issues picking up at the initial take off. Apart from that, I don't think there is any other major issue with diesel engines. However, they still have other pros and cons when compared to petrol engine cars:

Pros:
Less consumption
Less susceptible to fire
No Carburettor issues
Hardly would you experience diesel scarcity in Nigeria
etc

Cons:
Low take off speed
Few experienced mechanics
Diesel is far more expensive than petrol
etc
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by diportivo: 9:55am On Aug 24, 2018
erico2k2:
[/b]
PS, that thing ETA nah 10th of nxt month so E don near. wink

we follow full ground dey wait am grin
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Originalsly: 10:04am On Aug 24, 2018
Petrol. The people who know best about car engines....the experts. ..designers and manufacturers....all go for petrol engines at least 98% of the time. For truck engines...the opposite. That's enough reason for me.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Bjornson01(m): 11:09am On Aug 24, 2018
You see if were in a more developed country diesel would have been the best option due to its efficiency, high torque and low emission rate, furthermore our dirty diesel doesn't favour such engines. I'll rather be a petrol head in Nigeria since every auto engineer claims they can work on them. period.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Motorists Watch Out For Parking Tickets In Abuja! / please help: RPM Too High On My 2005 Toyota Camry / Which Car Brand Is Cheapest To Maintain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.