Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,551 members, 7,812,761 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer (6553 Views)

Diesel And Petrol Vehicles May Be Banned In The Next 10 Years In Nigeria / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by sommyfred(m): 1:53pm On Aug 23, 2018
hello fellow nairalander's just what to know your take on petrol and diesel engine which is the best.
based on preference.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Iruobean(m): 7:02am On Aug 24, 2018
angry
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Aspacng: 7:03am On Aug 24, 2018
Petrol ⛽
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by lafuria1(m): 7:05am On Aug 24, 2018
Petrol engine is better. Maintaince of diesel engine is the challenge like if something happens, fixing it isn't cheap.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Armorall: 7:07am On Aug 24, 2018
Please run away from Diesel Cars. Some Nigerian Diesel are dirty. Too much Pump issues. Thanks
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 7:07am On Aug 24, 2018
Aspacng:
Petrol ⛽
How did you arrive at such conclusion ?
Why do you think Diesel is more expensive than petrol car of same brand
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 7:09am On Aug 24, 2018
lafuria1:
Petrol engine is better. Maintaince of diesel engine is the challenge like if something happens, fixing it isn't cheap.
What part of a diesel engine o's more expensive than its petrol counterpart in say a Toyota corolla or a Nissan micra ? ??
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by ailenmen: 7:10am On Aug 24, 2018
Diesel engine is better, easier to maintain and more powerful than fuel .all u need to do is know d rules and easier to maintain
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 7:10am On Aug 24, 2018
Armorall:
Please run away from Diesel Cars. Some Nigerian Diesel are dirty. Too much Pump issues. Thanks
You could say that for Petrol as well.ha e you seen the Gazzuzz thread on fuel pump and sending unit ? ?
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 7:11am On Aug 24, 2018
ailenmen:
Diesel engine is better, easier to maintain and more powerful than fuel .all u need to do is know d rules and easier to maintain
Thank you and it is built stronger cos of the way it works . Compression against expansion
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Rossididdy(f): 7:16am On Aug 24, 2018
Go for popular demand there must be a reason for that. majority they say, carries the vote.. Petrol leads and i might not know the reason for that but remember 2good small heads r better that one big bad one

7 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by diportivo: 7:20am On Aug 24, 2018
Rossididdy:
Go for popular demand there must be a reason for that. majority they say, carries the vote.. Petrol leads and i might not know the reason for that but remember 2good small heads r better that one big bad one

seemingly as the topic says engine and not vehicle,and you have said popular demand plus majority carrying the votes,then diesel leads

I av not seen petrol trucks carrying cement or petrol tankers

and I av seen quite a lot of diesel cars,buses and pick ups

therefore,diesel all the way

erico2k2:

What part of a diesel engine o's more expensive than its petrol counterpart in say a Toyota corolla or a Nissan micra ? ??

bros

you av time replying those that have never even visited cartalk section for once grin

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 24, 2018
Petrol is more economic/efficient in the long run due to part availability..

Had a friend that got 23mpg average on a diesel Range sport supercharged, but his petrol friend got just 14mpg average on his.. but repair cost, part availability, second hand value and difference in cost of petrol/diesel actually made the petrol more efficient.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 24, 2018
Diesel cycle has a better efficiency, compared to Otto cycle. Again, nothing like premature ignition (engine knock) in diesel engines.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Caseless: 7:22am On Aug 24, 2018
I'd go a diesel car. If not for anything, just to avoid annual petrol scarcity.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by EdoBoy90(m): 7:23am On Aug 24, 2018
ailenmen:

Today's era of technology, petrol cars are powerful ok

With my experience in one of the auto companies in Nigeria, I will go for petrol cars. 80 or 90% of Nigerian cars are petrol cars.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by impactx(m): 7:26am On Aug 24, 2018
Diesel all the way
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by amstardi: 7:30am On Aug 24, 2018
98% of cars in Germany are diesel
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by mikoli: 7:40am On Aug 24, 2018
Rossididdy:
its not popular demand... petrol is old compared to desiel which is relatively new.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Soulsymbol99: 7:50am On Aug 24, 2018
I have never seen a diesel engine over heat or short oil undecided
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by NwaliE01: 7:54am On Aug 24, 2018
Both diesel and petrol engines are wonderful engines.
Diesel energy gives higher torque and burns less that petrol but has lower calorific value than petrol.
It produce more soots than petrol leading to environmental pollution.
Diesel is still preferred if the car/truck is meant to transport heavy load.
In the other hand, petrol engine has lower torque and so its not desirable for heavy duty cars.
It has a more efficient calorific utilization hence produce less smoke.
It is preferred in smaller cars as it's easier to maintain than diesel.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Exponental(m): 8:15am On Aug 24, 2018
We have more petrol mechanics, so petrol is preferable but however, comparatively, if you drive a vehicle used for carrying loads (mass transit or goods), diesel is the better option cos it's stronger. I drove a diesel engine Toyota Hiace 2003 with loads, the sienna and Tacoma we were travelling together couldn't meet up. I had to wait for them.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 24, 2018
amstardi:
98% of cars in Germany are diesel

lmao! Liar! there are good number of cars in europe that are Diesel but to say 98 percent of cars in Germany are diesel is a big fat faboo!
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 24, 2018
NwaliE01:
Both diesel and petrol engines are wonderful engines.
Diesel energy gives higher torque and burns less that petrol but has lower calorific value than petrol.
It produce more soots than petrol leading to environmental pollution.
Diesel is still preferred if the car/truck is meant to transport heavy load.
In the other hand, petrol engine has lower torque and so its not desirable for heavy duty cars.
It has a more efficient calorific utilization hence produce less smoke.
It is preferred in smaller cars as it's easier to maintain than diesel.

the level of technological advancements to Diesel fuel on engines now are even more efficient and burns safer for the environment than Petrol engines.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 8:20am On Aug 24, 2018
diportivo:

seemingly as the topic says engine and not vehicle,and you have said popular demand plus majority carrying the votes,then diesel leads

I av not seen petrol trucks carrying cement or petrol tankers

and I av seen quite a lot of diesel cars,buses and pick ups

therefore,diesel all the way

bros

you av time replying those that have never even visited cartalk section for once grin

ahaha to the bolded, U know to kill a Dog U got to give am Bad name
PS, that thing ETA nah 10th of nxt month so E don near. wink
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2018
Esseite:
Petrol is more economic/efficient in the long run due to part availability..

Had a friend that got 23mpg average on a diesel Range sport supercharged, but his petrol friend got just 14mpg average on his.. but repair cost, part availability, second hand value and difference in cost of petrol/diesel actually made the petrol more efficient.
Let me ask you same question, what parts of a diesel Range Rover do you think is not available or more expensive than the petrol one, care to share??
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by WavesOfGlory(m): 8:23am On Aug 24, 2018
Caseless:
I'd go a diesel car. If not for anything, just to avoid annual petrol scarcity.

Lafff... U are a case.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 8:24am On Aug 24, 2018
Soulsymbol99:
I have never seen a diesel engine over heat or short oil undecided
Thank you cos it is much cooler than petrol due to the way it works, I migrated from Petrol to diesel in both of my cars.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Caseless: 8:28am On Aug 24, 2018
WavesOfGlory:

Lafff... U are a case.
grin
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by erico2k2(m): 8:31am On Aug 24, 2018
Exponental:
We have more petrol mechanics, so petrol is preferable but however, comparatively, if you drive a vehicle used for carrying loads (mass transit or goods), diesel is the better option cos it's stronger. I drove a diesel engine Toyota Hiace 2003 with loads, the sienna and Tacoma we were travelling together couldn't meet up. I had to wait for them.
You see, in the west, there is nothing like petrol or Diesel mechanic, I wish people would not be branded and fuel orientated when dealing with cars. just mayB we would have better understanding how cars work.In the next 5 years, loads of mechanics who refuse to upgrade would be out of Biz.
Re: Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer by Dottore: 8:34am On Aug 24, 2018
Diesel Engines are noisy and messy but more rugged and durable. Petrol engine are faster and more quiet and cleaner but not as rugged as diesel.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Road Worthiness Renewal / Towing Rope For Your Car (can Carry 3 Tons Weight, Good For SUV)... / Change Engine Oil From Oando To Any Available Engine Oil.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.