Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? (6497 Views)

White Woman Feeding Her Puppy At A Fast Food In Onitsha (Pictures) / see what this product is doing to dogs / Smiling Human Faces Are Attractive To Dogs Thanks To Oxytocin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 7:47pm On Aug 24, 2018
good evening. please is it advisable to feed your dogs fish feed ?what nutritional value does it gives to the dog ?. I read a post on nairaland which says it's a great way to cut cost.
expert in this section your help is needed here.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by frowland(m): 7:48pm On Aug 24, 2018
Mariojames95:
good evening. please is it advisable to feed your dogs fish feed ?what nutritional value does it gives to the dog ?. I read a post on nairaland which says it's a great way to cut cost.
expert in this section your help is needed here.

What do you mean by fish feed?
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by OneStep3: 7:48pm On Aug 24, 2018
angry
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 7:49pm On Aug 24, 2018
frowland:

What do you mean by fish feed?
feeds like those given to catfish. vital, copens etc
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by frowland(m): 8:03pm On Aug 24, 2018
Mariojames95:

feeds like those given to catfish.
vital, copens etc
Oh, maybe someone here might shed more light as I have no idea about this. Just hearing it for the first time.
But is fish feed cheaper?

1 Like

Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2018
fish feed is cheaper than most dog kibbles.
a 4mm 15kg might be sold for 7k.
the post was made by prodegee and barcaboi some time ago.. let me share the link here

1 Like

Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 8:12pm On Aug 24, 2018
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by frowland(m): 8:14am On Aug 25, 2018
Mariojames95:
https://www.nairaland.com/2467571/cutting-cost-feeding-dogs

Gone through that thread, it's just a user experience with his GSD.

Not a bad choice per say but for me with mastiffs and giant breeds to delve into such I need to even find out the nutritional composition of the feed. Then I compare it with Bingo et al... before I proceed.

It's one thing to feed GSD anything it's another to feed mastiffs. If you feed mastiffs anything you might notice it in few days weight wise and appearance.

1 Like

Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Eveezy(m): 8:38am On Aug 25, 2018
frowland:

Gone through that thread, it's just a user experience with his GSD.

Not a bad choice per say but for me with mastiffs and giant breeds to delve into such I need to even find out the nutritional composition of the feed. Then I compare it with Bingo et al... before I proceed.

It's one thing to feed GSD anything it's another to feed mastiffs. If you feed mastiffs anything you might notice it in few days weight wise and appearance.

hmm no doubt that mastif eat allot but I don't get what u mean by feed a gsd anything, no degrade Gsd oo, dem be ancestors ooo, same cost incured in your mastif is wat is incurred in gsd, so no change am too much

5 Likes

Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Sunjay13(m): 8:48am On Aug 25, 2018
From my research,the food is rich,but how do we know if it good for dogs as kibbies?U should always consider the breed you intend to serve with such.I do mastiffs (Neapo& bull) and given them such composition could be fatal&terrible.Just like giving a Neapo indomie;u go hear Wennnh.Wot breed do u keep?
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Sunjay13(m): 8:53am On Aug 25, 2018
We r not comparing breeds here,just d feeding.U cant compare d feeding cost of a Neapo to a Gsd,& that is one of the reason why some breeders will never go there.I know of many breeders who sold their Neapo dogs cos they eat too much.
Eveezy:

hmm no doubt DT mastif eat allot but I don't get what u mean by feed a gsd anything, no degrade Gsd oo, dem be ancestors ooo, same cost incured in ur mastif is wat is incurred in gsd, so no change am too much
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 8:57am On Aug 25, 2018
OK sir. please give us a feedback from this experiment you're about to perform. thanks
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 9:00am On Aug 25, 2018
I intend giving the fish feed to a cauc. I would combine it with indomie waste and one boiled egg.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by frowland(m): 9:03am On Aug 25, 2018
Eveezy:

hmm no doubt DT mastif eat allot but I don't get what u mean by feed a gsd anything, no degrade Gsd oo, dem be ancestors ooo, same cost incured in ur mastif is wat is incurred in gsd, so no change am too much

Not degrading GSDs far from it. The good thing about GSD is that no matter what you feed them, it hardly shows as their body status remains the same over time-Thats what I mean by feeding anything.
But to have a good looking mastiffs, you dont just have to feed more, you also have to feed right. Else you have a skinny, malnourished looking dog.
That's what I mean, nothing against gsd whatsoever.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by davillian(m): 8:22am On Aug 27, 2018
Nigerians never cease to amaze me.
Fish feeds are formulated for fish and not for dog.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by adisabarber(m): 12:01pm On Aug 27, 2018
If you know what you are doing, you can combine fishmeal which has 72% protein, maize, GNC, salt and multivitamins to form a balanced ration for any dog. Everything your dog eats ends up digested before the dog's body can absorb it. The key is to know the exact nutritional requirements of your dog and you can formulate feed for it. The only thing I will not advise is feeding your dogs with ready made fish feed. Fish feed is different from fishmeal!!!! Fishmeal is used to add protein to animal feed while fish feed is formulated feed for FISH ONLY. To be on the safe side though, just buy ready made dog food and feed your dogs. If you can't afford that then buy a dog you can afford to feed.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Eveezy(m): 12:05pm On Aug 27, 2018
frowland:

Not degrading GSDs far from it. The good thing about GSD is that no matter what you feed them, it hardly shows as their body status remains the same over time-Thats what I mean by feeding anything.
But to have a good looking mastiffs, you dont just have to feed more, you also have to feed right. Else you have a skinny, malnourished looking dog.
That's what I mean, nothing against gsd whatsoever.
OK, quality feeding goes both ways sha, dere will always be difference between a dog fed on noodles and a dog fed on quality feed. but nevertheless, I get ur point

1 Like

Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2018
adisabarber:
If you know what you are doing, you can combine fishmeal which has 72% protein, maize, GNC, salt and multivitamins to form a balanced ration for any dog. Everything your dog eats ends up digested before the dog's body can absorb it. The key is to know the exact nutritional requirements of your dog and you can formulate feed for it. The only thing I will not advise is feeding your dogs with ready made fish feed. Fish feed is different from fishmeal!!!! Fishmeal is used to add protein to animal feed while fish feed is formulated feed for FISH ONLY. To be on the safe side though, just buy ready made dog food and feed your dogs. If you can't afford that then buy a dog you can afford to feed.
some feed feed contains the exact nutrients a dog needs. fish feed like aller aqua can be used for fishes and fur animals as stated in their pack.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by adisabarber(m): 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2018
Mariojames95:

some feed feed contains the exact nutrients a dog needs. fish feed like aller aqua can be used for fishes and fur animals as stated in their pack.

If that is the case, it is safe to give dogs.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by smokey12345: 9:12pm On Aug 27, 2018
i m new to dogs but i recently bought 2 puppies of diff breed.. rott nd gsd... if the person use gsd for exmple thts wnother thing, gsd dont consume much they et llittle nd tke more wter but to me there is no hrms in trying
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 9:27pm On Aug 27, 2018
smokey12345:
i m new to dogs but i recently bought 2 puppies of diff breed.. rott nd gsd... if the person use gsd for exmple thts wnother thing, gsd dont consume much they et llittle nd tke more wter but to me there is no hrms in trying
you can give it a go and post your feedback, after all we are all learning. thanks.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Ebendo123(m): 9:55am On Aug 30, 2018
I can confirm that its not a bad idea as I've been using it for a year now. Though I don't give as a kibble or dry food as u may call. I mix it wit other dog food.. Cooked with noodles or RandyCare dog feed. Its d best combo. Just look at the nutritional composition in fishfeed. It can supplement a lot of things in ur dog. My dogs are growing well. But also take note that too much is not good as it can cause diarrhoea because of excess protein. I'll post a pix of my dogs.

1 Like

Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariojames95(m): 10:21am On Aug 30, 2018
Ebendo123:
I can confirm that its not a bad idea as I've been using it for a year now. Though I don't give as a kibble or dry food as u may call. I mix it wit other dog food.. Cooked with noodles or RandyCare dog feed. Its d best combo. Just look at the nutritional composition in fishfeed. It can supplement a lot of things in ur dog. My dogs are growing well. But also take note that too much is not good as it can cause diarrhoea because of excess protein. I'll post a pix of my dogs.
please do.. and explain how you combine these food for one super nutritious K9 food..
I plan mixing the fish feed with noodles and eggs.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by HardMirror(m): 12:26pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ebendo123:
pls post the pictures. I agree with you, the most important thing is the feed composition. Can the dog digest the feed? Does it contain what the dog needs to grow and stay healthy? If yes, why not?
Good thread here
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by HardMirror(m): 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2018
Mariojames95:

please do.. and explain how you combine these food for one super nutritious K9 food..
I plan mixing the fish feed with noodles and eggs.
it think raw eggs are best or not fully cooked. You can always mix the egg raw after the whole preparation.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariomadiba(m): 9:28pm On Sep 03, 2018
Please experts come and illuminate this thread.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by Mariomadiba(m): 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2018
Mariomadiba:
Please experts come and illuminate this thread.
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by tziz(m): 1:32pm On Sep 05, 2018
HardMirror:
it think raw eggs are best or not fully cooked. You can always mix the egg raw after the whole preparation.
@bolded, are u kidding me? Iv read in multiple sites that raw egg-white is bad for dogs. "Raw egg whites can cause biotin deficiency in dogs".
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by HardMirror(m): 2:54pm On Sep 05, 2018
tziz:

@bolded, are u kidding me? Iv read in multiple sites that raw egg-white is bad for dogs. "Raw egg whites can cause biotin deficiency in dogs".
are dogs supposed to eat cooked eggs by their nature? Research before you start posting what you know nothing about. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/feeding-your-dog-raw-eggs-good-or-bad/

Egg whites causing biotin deficiency has nothing to do with eggs being raw, so i dont know where you got that, and you forget that the yolks balances this problem. Try and read, learn before trying to educate others
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by tziz(m): 3:21pm On Sep 05, 2018
HardMirror:
are dogs supposed to eat cooked eggs by their nature? Research before you start posting what you know nothing about. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/feeding-your-dog-raw-eggs-good-or-bad/

Egg whites causing biotin deficiency has nothing to do with eggs being raw, so i dont know where you got that, and you forget that the yolks balances this problem. Try and read, learn before trying to educate others
@bolded, The way u got ur info is the same way i got mine: The Internet! Do u know what that is? A lot of infos, a confluence of differnt ideas, some true, some false, none is sure, hence i said "i read in multiple sites". You on the hand, arent a vet but u read from a website and jumped in here to act I-too-know. Well, u have ur dog, i have mine. I just pointed somtin out to u.

Ok bye!
Re: Feeding Fish Feed To Dogs. Great Idea Or Another Formulated Story? by HardMirror(m): 4:33pm On Sep 05, 2018
tziz:

@bolded, The way u got ur info is the same way i got mine: The Internet! Do u know what that is? A lot of infos, a confluence of differnt ideas, some true, some false, none is sure, hence i said "i read in multiple sites". You on the hand, arent a vet but u read from a website and jumped in here to act I-too-know. Well, u have ur dog, i have mine. I just pointed somtin out to u.

Ok bye!
true there are a lot of info out there. But judge the whole lot of info you find with basic knowledge of science and you realize there is no reason to be alarmed about raw eggs. Truth remains it is more nutritious which is good enough, other wise, best to totally cut eggs off your dog's diet as there are equally a lot of cons to feeding your dogs cooked eggs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why aren't our Caucasians this big? / What Is The Best Dog Food Brand (kibbles) / Rate My Mongrel (ekuke) *pics*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.