Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! (5966 Views)

How To Install Bbm On Tecno P3,n3 And Other Android 2.3 Ic / How To Use Greenify On Android 2.2 And Below / Upgrading From Android 2.2.1 (froyo) To 2.2.3 (ginjerbread), How Is It Done? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by texazzpete(m): 1:13pm On Jun 27, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/hacked-n900-blazes-through-froyo/

Some intrepid hacker managed to get Android 2.2 running nicely on the Nokia N900.

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U46e_VYANWs[/flash]
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:32am On Jun 28, 2010
thats not really a hack is it? i always thot that fone was waiting to be utilised in various ways.

well i know it will run Meego and android or any os u dare throw at it. itsnot locked to a firmware or whatever, its pure hardware power added to opensource ware!!

anyway i remain convinced thats the best fone ever made. and b4 we start a debate, BB fans cannot undrstand the above, the joy of having hardware that belongs to u, that u can overclock, u can do anything, that has a terminal u can use to do anything internally. A FONE THAT IS 100% YOURS!!!! bliss
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by texazzpete(m): 6:37am On Jun 28, 2010
4llerbuntu:

thats not really a hack is it? i always thot that fone was waiting to be utilised in various ways.

well i know it will run Meego and android or any os u dare throw at it. itsnot locked to a firmware or whatever, its pure hardware power added to opensource ware!!

anyway i remain convinced thats the best fone ever made. and b4 we start a debate, BB fans cannot undrstand the above, the joy of having hardware that belongs to u, that u can overclock, u can do anything, that has a terminal u can use to do anything internally. A FONE THAT IS 100% YOURS!!!! bliss

Well, it doesn't run android by default, does it? And yes, it will run lots of stuff natively, but getting another OS on it requires quite a bit of work. Go check out how difficult it's been to port Android on devices like the Htc HD2 even for the whizzkids on xda-developers.

I would think any phone you paid money for becomes 100% yours grin, especially if you can't feel the limitations imposed by the manufacturer. If your usage pattern means you don't come in contact with the walls, aren't you then 100% free too?

I would not call this the 'best phone ever made'. Not by a long shot. The hardware, the software has its fair share of flaws.
I admit it should probably appeal to geeks with far more time on their hands than i do. But best phone? Hah!

I admit i also share your opinion that the BB OS is crappy as hell.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Azanor(m): 10:35am On Jun 28, 2010
texazzpete:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/hacked-n900-blazes-through-froyo/

Some intrepid hacker managed to get Android 2.2 running nicely on the Nokia N900.

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U46e_VYANWs[/flash]

That phone is just a beast! I'm sure when windows phone 7 comes out, homies won't hesitate to make it run on the n900
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:48am On Jun 28, 2010
u know about BB, those folks started out by having the concept of a phone that could network and chat in a particular network setup, and also send and receive mail,
so i guess they simply really didnt put enough into it, and are just being forced to keep up with nokia et-al as per looks and functionalities

because i find it strange that in this day and age, to find people complain about bluetooth functionality on a fone, i mean for crying out loud, bluetooth? of all functions? how simple is it to have decent bluetooth, even china fones have decent bluetooth!!

somebody somewhere needs to come up with a service like BIS on another platform and that RIM will be out of business.
funny thing is i doubt if 40% of the BB toting Nigerians actually subscribe to BIS sef, its all about been seen with a BB and pressing the buttons all the time grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by texazzpete(m): 5:08pm On Jun 28, 2010
4llerbuntu:

u know about BB, those folks started out by having the concept of a phone that could network and chat in a particular network setup, and also send and receive mail,
so i guess they simply really didnt put enough into it, and are just being forced to keep up with nokia et-al as per looks and functionalities

because i find it strange that in this day and age, to find people complain about bluetooth functionality on a fone, i mean for crying out loud, bluetooth? of all functions? how simple is it to have decent bluetooth, even china fones have decent bluetooth!!

somebody somewhere needs to come up with a service like BIS on another platform and that RIM will be out of business.
funny thing is i doubt if 40% of the BB toting Nigerians actually subscribe to BIS sef, its all about been seen with a BB and pressing the buttons all the time grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nah, RIM won't go out of business even if someone were to come along with that business idea. The BB service is much more than BIS. I know you have an eye on the craze in Naija, but the sales in Naija are just a drop in the ocean for RIM's worldwide sales.

Your bluetooth comment, referring to the iPhone? Perhaps because bluetooth file transfer is steadily becoming less relevant these days?
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:25pm On Jun 28, 2010
^^^ nah was referring to BB, have seen like 2-3 posters here on nl complain abt the bluetooth, had a user tell me one on one too. found it hard to believe

well for bluetooth becoming obsolete, i dunno any fone that can transfer via wireless without a router!!, so for now, bluetooth it is, but really for any fone to to have bluetooth complaints is ludicruous, that tech has been around for ages, i used to have a 2004 fone that has bluetooth albeit very slow

i dunno nada abt iphone, you wont catch me saying nada abt it, not in my world! grin grin grin, but seeing all the talk about custom fw and jailbreaking etc has started making me interested!, i normally cannot be interested in a ipod with castrated fone capabilities!! seems some fun is to be had messing with it!
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by texazzpete(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2010
4llerbuntu:

well for bluetooth becoming obsolete, i dunno any fone that can transfer via wireless without a router!!, so for now, bluetooth it is, but really for any fone to to have bluetooth complaints is ludicruous, that tech has been around for ages, i used to have a 2004 fone that has bluetooth albeit very slow

And what exactly do you transfer these days with bluetooth?
The BBs have got bluetooth, just buried under convoluted menus.

4llerbuntu:

i dunno nada abt iphone, you wont catch me saying nada abt it, not in my world! grin grin grin, but seeing all the talk about custom fw and jailbreaking etc has started making me interested!, i normally cannot be interested in a ipod with castrated fone capabilities!! seems some fun is to be had messing with it!

User experience and the apps is where it's at, mon ami. There are limitations, but you really don't feel them as the jailbreak community is out there to cater to all the gaps. The official apps are something else, though. you won't find apps as polished and complete as those you'd see on the iPhone. Android is playing catch up, but they're a long way off.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by n3rve(m): 7:13pm On Jun 28, 2010
As regards Bluetooth on the BlackBerry, I've never had issues with mine. I just have to pair devices before initiating a connection.
The bluetooth is also stable, I remember when I was streaming music in a car; walked into a mall, came out and my friend in the car said the music didn't stop playing, I was surprisedĀ at the distance it covered.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by texazzpete(m): 8:57pm On Jun 28, 2010
[n3rve]:

As regards Bluetooth on the BlackBerry, I've never had issues with mine. I just have to pair devices before initiating a connection.
The bluetooth is also stable, I remember when I was streaming music in a car; walked into a mall, came out and my friend in the car said the music didn't stop playing, I was surprisedĀ at the distance it covered.

No problems with it, bluetooth file transfer is pretty unintuitive.
The Blackberry OS itself just feels dated, even worse than Symbian in several regards. My first week of using my bold 9700 was pretty traumatizing (that was before the whole crackberry addiction set in grin). The default web browser in the BB is the most shitty browser ever made. Luckily i was able to install Opera mini over that atrocity.
Luckily the hardware is rock solid grin
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2010
I thought android could be easily ported to any device as long as the environment is either linux and has a JVM or just the latter, anyway Texazpete is damn right the Blackberry OS is so terrible first its not smart enough compared to other Os.so many limitations like the no of applications that you can install and bluetooth long thing when i think of the pairing i have to got to just send a file i just request it over the BIS, but that statement comapring BB Os to Symbian is totally wrong how now, Symbian is easy to use.as far as am concerned Android is like the Apple Os with the Flash Option Enabled,
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by james1(m): 6:29am On Jul 02, 2010
@4lerbuntu.most BB users don't use BIS,they carry bold and storm and loved to be seen scrolling away,some go crazy if they have not "upgraded"from 1-2 of either bold or storm,men pleasers.I use BIS but I ain't no man pleaser.though if you like surfing or your biz is more online,this phone can be a little addictive.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:57am On Jul 05, 2010
esp with this talk of BIS, if u can get connected to the pc via BIS that is!! grin grin grin grin

all good, if and when the 3g versions become reasonably priced, which will be in the next 5 yrs thereabouts, i might buy one as a modem!!
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Nuriel22: 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2010
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:02pm On Jul 08, 2010
was at slot today.
N900 was 77,000!!!

grab ur copy NOW!! must have been some kinda mistake for them grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by engrhamid(m): 11:18pm On Jul 08, 2010
4llerbuntu:

was at slot today.
N900 was 77,000!!!

grab your copy NOW!! must have been some kinda mistake for them grin grin grin grin grin
same here, so na that price i come check too oo.we must have seen lol, i for just collect those tins u no one give me grin grin.
am waiting for it to get to 50k,
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by texazzpete(m): 7:15am On Jul 09, 2010
4llerbuntu:

was at slot today.
N900 was 77,000!!!

grab your copy NOW!! must have been some kinda mistake for them grin grin grin grin grin

huh? What's the fuss? It was N71,500 in Lagos two weeks ago, so why are you excited to pay even more?
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by leuelliot(m): 9:41am On Jul 09, 2010
71,500 wow and i just bought one for 80k undecided
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by rydeorsail(m): 11:03am On Jul 10, 2010
I connected my N900 with my computer thru ad-hoc connection, buts its timing out when am trying to connect to the net, but i can still access and download thru the application manager
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:41pm On Jul 10, 2010
texazzpete:

huh? What's the fuss? It was N71,500 in Lagos two weeks ago, so why are you excited to pay even more?

dude where is the ipod na? see u made me blow the cash already!! grin grin grin grin

well 2 months ago it was 90K. man thats crazy drop in prices o, are we sure we havent started see chinese versions?
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 10, 2010
i bought mine too in slot , there is a promo on in slot with N900, u buy for 77k and get 1 blue tooth earpieces free, i got my with free blue tooth
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by logica(m): 10:41pm On Jul 10, 2010
texazzpete:

Well, it doesn't run android by default, does it? And yes, it will run lots of stuff natively, but getting another OS on it requires quite a bit of work. Go check out how difficult it's been to port Android on devices like the Htc HD2 even for the whizzkids on xda-developers.
Not as much work when it already runs on another *nix variant. From what I gather, HTC HD2 comes with Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Tmagma(m): 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2010
fake af
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Tmagma(m): 2:51pm On Jul 11, 2010
Who 've ever tried loading debian files (.deb files) for iphone onto nokia N900 ?
I think is gonna run on that cos its an open source. I really need 2 lay my hands on one of them n900's.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by n3rve(m): 4:53pm On Jul 11, 2010
Tmagma:

Who 've ever tried loading debian files (.deb files) for iphone onto nokia N900 ?
I think is gonna run on that cos its an open source. I really need 2 lay my hands on one of them n900's.

Done it, Open X-Terminal, and execute [b]dpkg -i <file-name> smiley
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by darkey(m): 5:03pm On Jul 11, 2010
Bought mine @ DSL @ adeola odeku for N69,500,
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by darkey(m): 5:03pm On Jul 11, 2010
on mon,
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by lynxnoon(m): 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2010
hmmmm. . . . . . . N900 seriously beckoning me smiley smiley
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by Bawss1(m): 11:44am On Jul 14, 2010
Tmagma:

Guys guys guys! I dont ve money 4 a new N900.
I need 2 get fairly used that is very clean. Pls where can i get one cos i can wait to use a phone without limitation of softwares . I'mma software freak. Lol

If you are in Abuja try Utako market. I saw the N900 there for sale for about 30k and it was in very good condition.
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by engrhamid(m): 2:40am On Jul 15, 2010
Bawss1:

If you are in Abuja try Utako market. I saw the N900 there for sale for about 30k and it was in very good condition.
na chinko jorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by engrhamid(m): 2:41am On Jul 15, 2010
darkey:

Bought mine @ DSL @ adeola odeku for N69,500,
where dat one day brossssssssssssss
Re: Nokia N900 Hacked To Run Android 2.2! by lynxnoon2: 12:20pm On Jul 15, 2010
engrhamid:

where dat one day brossssssssssssss
Adeola Odeku, V.I smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blackberry Empathy-what Can U Say About This New Bb? / I Can't Recharge Nor Check My Acc Balance, Pls Help / Download Mobdro App For Android To Watch Live Football Matches And Much More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.