Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,167 members, 7,811,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style (30389 Views)

The Most Handsome Nairalander Celebrates His Birthday In Grand Style (Pictures) / Pictures As Abuja All White Pool Party Holds In Grand Style / Golden Guinea Breweries, Heritage Bank Power Imo State Biggest New Yam Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by United4greatnes: 4:05pm On Aug 27, 2018
The Igbo Union in Finland, the umbrella body of all the Igbo speaking people of Nigeria resident in Finland  celebrated their annual new yam festival "Emume Iwa Ji" on Saturday 25th, August 2018.

The union which is a registered Non Governmental Cultural Organization comprises of Nzuko Umunna Ndi-Igbo in Finland (Imo & Abia), Enugu Progressive Union in Finland and the Anambra State Association, Finland.

In Nigeria, the annual cultural festival by the Igbo people held at the end of the rainy season in early August symbolizes the conclusion of a harvest and the beginning of the next farming season. The celebration is a very culturally based occasion, tying individual Igbo communities together as essentially agrarian and dependent on yam.

This year's festival was attended by a large number of Ndigbo from all parts of Finland. The opening prayer was done by the chairman of the occassion, HRH Prince Idiagboff  who also spoke extensively on the agricultural growth and exploits in the eastern part of Nigeria, most especially in the area of yam production. The "iri ji"( New yam eating" festival which was filled with pomp and pageantry was anchored by veteran journalist, Chief Ike Chime.

The incumbent chairman of Igbo Union in Finland, Chief Barrister Simon Ekpa, in his speech, emphasized the importance of culture in nation building. He said " culture is the total way of life, through culture we are govern by norms and customs which are the pillars of any society.

According to the Igbo Union chairman, this year's festival is targeted at promoting multiculturalism within the Finnish society. He also sent a strong message to the Federal Government of Nigeria over the killings and continuous marginalization of Ndigbo in Nigeria. In conclusion, he urged Igbo governors and leaders to speak up against the marginalization of the Igbos and the genocide that is been perpetrated by the present government.

The climax of the event was the cultural dance display by various member associations that make up the Igbo Union in Finland. Also, the traditional chief's and elders danced majestically to the Igbo cultural music while the ladies added added icing on the cake with their glamourous dancing steps.

https://www.diasporareporters.com/igbo-union-in-finland-celebrates-new-yam-festival-in-grand-style/

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by United4greatnes: 4:05pm On Aug 27, 2018

38 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by bugidon(m): 4:07pm On Aug 27, 2018
God thank you for making me part of this sweet tribe

Igbo AMAKA grin cheesy

310 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by engrkaz(m): 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Ok
Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by chi4lifed: 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Cool igbo Amaka

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Metuh: 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Later, some cone headed nonentites will say Igbos aren't united.

Unfortunately, we can't help them cos their case is already beyond redemption. grin

Igbo Amaka.

166 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by bigfat05: 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Nigerians everywhere in the world

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Akabuking: 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
igbo Amaka

34 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by ExAngel007(f): 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
nice.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by jamaljalal(m): 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Igbo kwenu....I hail my country pple grin grin grin

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Alexanity(m): 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Cute though, Tribal fight expected shocked cool

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Metuh: 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2018
blackaxe78:
Police should check that yam well, their is powder inside
As long as the powder will give you sense, it's allowed.

Now go and play with your mates.

143 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Waakanda: 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2018
Enjoy yourselves ... but bia, no fresh yam for "obodo oyinbo" ni? grin

4 CV Samples written by an HR Expert and commended by all: www..com/cv-samples ... No excuse for not getting your desired job.
Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by DRJECKYLL(m): 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2018
You will find igbos in every crook and crevice of this world. If you can find us there, the location is uninhabitable

23 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by nnokwa042(m): 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2018
We go do our own for Austria this week I can't wait to kill one of my swans

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by daylae(m): 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2018
Igbo people. . everywhere you go.

33 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Kulas: 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2018
The kind of joy I derive that I am an igbo man cannot be compared with anything. Igbo Amaka, Igbo zuru mba uwa nine.

111 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Lilimax(f): 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2018
New yam Festival! aka Onwa asato in NRI kingdom
Reminding me of my late granny Agumma! cry

Those roasted yam and red oil spiced with utazi leaf is always dope and good combo smiley

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Metuh: 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2018
thaoriginator:
shockedshockedshocked

I don't want to hear anything about drug case afterwards o

Igbo Amalia grin
Drug business is far far better than forcefully Mining your own people skulls. grin

Stop skull mining and fraud.

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by kingsmaila(m): 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2018
One thing I like about the Igbos is their cultural value and heritage. Igbo every where u go world wide. Igbo kwenu.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2018
its goes out to show that we the igbos are proud of our tribe. Igbo kwenu.

32 Likes

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Empiree: 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2018
YorubaAssasin:
grin Congrats to our okoro-Bia-furo blodas.. grin

BTW... Which kain yam be dat sef?

Oh sorry, na 'cocaine-induced' yam, I forgot. grin grin grin
you funny grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by omooba969(m): 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2018
Ok
Re: Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival In Grand Style by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2018
Ndi Igbo mmama nu

23 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Moment A Lady Cashed Out 200k At Her Friend's Wedding Ceremony (video) / Five People That Can Ruin Your Wedding Ceremony / 10k Smoking Competition By Plateau Youths (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.