Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop (1848 Views)

He Got Me Pregnant And Left Me To Suffer / NHRC Stops Marriage Of 40year Old Man To Primary 5 Pupil / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by dudududu(m): 6:05am On Jun 28, 2010
How does it help?
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by mutter(f): 10:19am On Jun 29, 2010
Are we talking about Nigeria.

It is a good idea but that cannot solve the problem.
The main issue in sex education is- the way you go about sex. Having only one partner, waiting till you are mature enough for it.
Now in Nigeria the major problem is that sex is being sold on the market.
Young girls do it for the money they so badly need embarassed
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by Sissy3(f): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2010
it should be introduced however, i think thats hardly going to be the case because we nigerians are overly "sanctimonious". so, 'we' will see a sex ed as free licence to have scx, 'we' will condemn it, bound it, tie it,lose it,do 7days/nights fasting over it and pretend as if everyone one of our kids/children are pure unadulterated virgins. 'we' like our kids to grow up with the phrase 'see no evil,hear no evil' when it comes to sex ed/premarital sex

also our "sanctimonious" selves tells and most definitely convinces us that sex ed will be ONLY about having sex and using protection and excluding anything about abstinence.

will it help in reducing everything unwanted about sex? the jury is still out on that. 'cause our overly "sanctimonious" nature will then again like to bring up dead and extinct statistics on how it doesnt deter but encourages sex.

personally, i think it will be a great idea not necessarily for the fact that it will most likely reduce whatever thats bad about sex but for that fact it will give more people esp girls,women and young women alike the "power" to be informed(big emphasis on that word informed). 

i'm not for any one sided sex ed like- abstinence only or protection only type of sex-ed but a very comprehensive sex-ed
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by spicyhoney(f): 2:39pm On Jun 29, 2010
some schools already do that, cos my own Alma mater started it when i was in SS 2, every last Sunday of the month. we all gather for it and it was always intensive with video aide too. And I have graduated frm sec sch for quite some years now so its not a new thing though i dnt know if they still do it.

However, I dnt know if it actually helped everybody cos we still had cases of students who got pregnant during the long vacations and had to be expelled. (It was an all girls boarding school)
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by sophy09: 8:16pm On Jun 29, 2010
Even if sex education is introduced into school, most will still have sex. With the introduction of condom many will still have sex but the rate of unwanted pregnancy will reduce.
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by Sissy3(f): 7:57am On Jun 30, 2010
spicyhoney:

However, I dnt know if it actually helped everybody cos we still had cases of students who got pregnant during the long vacations and had to be expelled. (It was an all girls boarding school)

sophy09:

[b]Even if sex education is introduced into school, most will still have intimacy. [/b]With the introduction of condom many will still have intimacy but the rate of unwanted pregnancy will reduce.

IMO,the idea of sex ed,is let young people know that they have options when it comes to protection and their choices. its better people know the consequences of their actions and choose to indulge in it than to be ignorance of it and bear the unknown consequences
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by seasonedmom: 11:34am On Jun 30, 2010
~Sissy~:

IMO,the idea of sex ed,is let young people know that they have options when it comes to protection and their choices. its better people know the consequences of their actions and choose to indulge in it than to be ignorance of it and bear the unknown consequences

I doubt very much if there are any 'ignorant' kids anymore concerning the consequences of indulging in sex. Just like the adults in our society everybody knows the consequences but choose to ignore it till its too late. I think kids should be encouraged to practice abstinence in the sex ed, let them know it IS possible and not to be cajoled into thinking there is something wrong with them if they want to abstain by their peers or adults for that matter!
I would love a situation where role models who have practiced abstinence can be present when teaching sex ed to these young ones so they see it as an option too. The advantages of it should be emphasised over and above the other choices after all, its the only fool proof option against stds and pregnancy.
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by Sissy3(f): 12:01pm On Jun 30, 2010
seasoned_mom:

I doubt very much if there are any 'ignorant' kids anymore concerning the consequences of indulging in sex. Just like the adults in our society everybody knows the consequences but choose to ignore it till its too late. I think kids should be encouraged to practice abstinence in the sex ed, let them know it IS possible and not to be cajoled into thinking there is something wrong with them if they want to abstain by their peers or adults for that matter!
I would love a situation where role models who have practiced abstinence can be present when teaching sex ed to these young ones so they see it as an option too. The advantages of it should be emphasised over and above the other choices after all, its the only fool proof option against stds and pregnancy.

you will be very much surprised at the number of young people who are very ignorant about consequences of sex. so, even though, with the way sex is everywhere we'd like to believe that at least these kids have or have had enough infos on sex thats hardly the case. so, i believe that we still have tons of them out there.

yes abstinence is the best protection but at some point i humbly think we need to realistic. i rather have an informed teen who knows that she has options when it to comes to sex. at least if and when she does decide to have intimacy, she will educated enough to rightly protect herself and spare me early entrance into grandmotherhood and save herself from the consequence of all things undesirable about sex than for her to be rather clueless, make the worst possible mistake,and hide it from me when she does have intimacy.

i guess what most people get wrong about sex ed is that they tend to believe that teaching kids about sex will encourage them to be sexually active. big lie. in many cases, teens who received abst.  sex ed were more likely than their counterpart to get pregnant. so, inasmuch as we'd love to have our kids be vrigins till their wedding night, we do also have to come to terms with the fact that those are just wishful thinkings in many cases

yes absti. programs does work for some if not many, likewise the other sex ed also protects them from pre-martial sex.

abstinence or not, kids will have eventually have intimacy if and when they want to. its eventually their choice because as parents one can only do their best. i like giving them the BOTH options and not just one sided part.
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by seasonedmom: 12:29pm On Jun 30, 2010
~Sissy~:

you will be very much surprised at the number of young people who are very ignorant about consequences of sex. so, even though, with the way sex is everywhere we'd like to believe that at least these kids have or have had enough infos on sex thats hardly the case. so, i believe that we still have tons of them out there.

yes abstinence is the best protection but at some point i humbly think we need to realistic. i rather have an informed teen who knows that she has options when it to comes to sex. at least if and when she does decide to have intimacy, she will educated enough to rightly protect herself and spare me early entrance into grandmotherhood and save herself from the consequence of all things undesirable about sex than for her to be rather clueless, make the worst possible mistake,and hide it from me when she does have intimacy.

i guess what most people get wrong about sex ed is that they tend to believe that teaching kids about sex will encourage them to be sexually active. big lie. in many cases, teens who received abst.  sex ed were more likely than their counterpart to get pregnant. so, inasmuch as we'd love to have our kids be vrigins till their wedding night, we do also have to come to terms with the fact that those are just wishful thinkings in many cases

yes absti. programs does work for some if not many, likewise the other sex ed also protects them from pre-martial sex.

abstinence or not, kids will have eventually have intimacy if and when they want to. its eventually their choice because as parents one can only do their best. i like giving them the BOTH options and not just one sided part.

Sissy I do agree with you that they may still be some teenagers who may not know much abt sex and I am of the view that they should be taught the basics and its results like any biology class would but the tilt or emphasis should be on the possibility and the normalcy of abstinence in present day life. Most of our youth ARE driven into sex purely by peer pressure because they feel and are told by adults and peers that it it normal and expected of them to practice sex 'play'. Nothing wrong with giving candid information abt sex ed but the principles being taught along side it is the issue to be addressed. When a girl is told that, ok, when you play sex its ok and normal but to avoid getting pregnant, use pills or insist on condoms, its WRONG. I would rather tell MY daughter, dont cheapen yourself by having sex without commitment (marriage), you can do it! and besides, playing that way can result in pregnancy and ruin your life. When we protect them from stds and pregnancy, do we protect them from the hurt and complex premarital induced sex places on their mind? Many women are scarred by feelings inflicted on them by peer pressured sex. I know quite a handful of young beautiful and healthy people(male and female) who have planned and are following through to waiting till they get married before sex. Its not so difficult or scarce to find these kind. Its all abt choice
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by luap: 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2010
yes
Re: Should Sex Education Introduce To Primary And Sencondary Schools To Reduce Unwanted Pregnant And Pop by agathamari(f): 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2010
hlp with the mis-conceptions that condoms are 100% effective which they arnt, that all std can be prevented with condoms when really it is only about half, all std's have symptoms while only 80% of those infeced have any symptom regardless of std. that hiv is the only incurable/deadly std which its not (at least 4 others). that you can tell if a person has an std by just looking at them which you cant and on and on and on.

the somer people start to learn the dangers involved in being sexualy active the better. global adverage for lifetime number os sexual partners is 13 (includes one night stands and friends with benifits and is the total from the day you loose your virginity to the day you die) countries with sex education in school have thier adverage below 15 with few exceptions like france while countries who do not have said classes are well above again with very few exceptions.

prevelance of abortions is also significantly higher in places where there are no sex ed classes

(1) (Reply)

The End Of Men: And The Rise Of Women - Are Men Endangered Species? / Is It Worth Fighting Family Over Inheritance? / Would You Go To To This Wedding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.