Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,358 members, 7,815,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

You Can Fool Only Some People All The Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / You Can Fool Only Some People All The Time (626 Views)

Keshi: Some People Want Me To Fail / Illusionist Ilan Smith Predicted The World Cup Finals Score, Scorer And The Time / What Is The Time For Nigeria Vs Madagasca Match Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Can Fool Only Some People All The Time by montelik(m): 8:06am On Jun 28, 2010
[center]You can fool only some people all the time
ADOKIYE AMIESIMAKA, amieslasw@yahoo.com
[/center]

“DON‘T tell me how long you think it is right for the World Cup team to be camped. I played the game up to twenty years, though I am not the god of football. But certainly, I have been in FA Cup final . . . We only camped for one week. The players know themselves, they are highly professional players. The white international coaches bring two things: they bring organisation and they bring discipline. And those are the two things Super Eagles need: discipline and organisation. We have players who are brilliant world class players. In three weeks if Lars Lagerback cannot instil discipline and organisation then we have made a mistake.”A member of the Presidential Task Force (PTF), John Fasanu, April 28, 2010.

“WHEN the goalkeeper is the most active player on the field, then you know there is something wrong. That‘s how they played on Tuesday. Oh, my God! He can‘t get us out of that World Cup group. It was the worst Nigerian team I've seen play.”– An angry Nigerian to Swedish daily, Expressen, after warm-up game with Saudi – Arabia, May 25, 2010.

“I REGRET that I went there. It was a mistake. I told them I was not talking about money and that they should contact my agent for money issues. Then I called some people in FIFA that I know and they told me to take the next available flight and come back immediately. I did just that.”Sweden born coach, Sven-Goran Eriksson, May 28, 2010, after former England manager, Glenn Hoddle claimed that he didn't get the Super Eagles job because he refused to bribe NFF officials.

“THE organisation from above has to be right for anyone to want to take the job. I would not take that nonsense.”Super Eagles player Nwankwo Kanu, reacting to suggestion that he should take over from Lars Lagerback as coach of the team, June 23, 2010.

“LIKE our people say oyinbo na oyinbo. There is a touch they add to Africans when they bring their ideas, their calculations, their tactics, their organisation, their way of being more effective on the field. I think Lagerback is the best choice Nigeria made.”Super Eagles player, Osaze Odemwingie, May 25, 2010.

“I THINK a few things he did were big mistakes. I don‘t think the Super Eagles will thrive under this coach (Lars Lagerback) given the way the World Cup turned out for us. Even if the coach stays I am not afraid to say my mind because my country comes first. We played three games, lost two and drew one in a group we should have qualified from. Surely there were mistakes in the way players were asked to play. A few things he did were big mistakes, such as telling two strikers not to participate in defending. I think that is a big mistake with Nigerian football when we have one defensive midfielder and one creative in front of him. All our middle was open and that was the problem we had against Greece. (Against South Korea) the instruction was that three people did not have to participate in defence. I think that was also a big mistake. Players who could have done the job like Martins and me – who have steered this country in many crucial matches – were no longer key players. It was a mistake to fire Amodu with only four months to the World Cup. This is what affected our World Cup campaign in truth.”Super Eagles player, Osaze Odemwingie, June 23, 2010.

“LAGERBACK’S technical savvy is the anchor point of my strong conviction that Nigeria would beat Argentina today, no matter the rankings of the opponents. Not even Lionel Messi, I dare say, will stop the Eagles.”Ade Ojeikere, June 12, 2010.

“WE have had problems with the former coaches but Lagerback is fantastic. If he was not married, I would have found him a wife. We do not want him to go back to Sweden. There have been problems with team bonding when teams enter competitions, but it is not so with Lagerback. I can promise that we will get at least a draw against Argentina. Greece, South Korea, we will beat them certainly , ”Super Eagles media officer Idah Peterside, June 8, 2010.

“WHY are you celebrating defeat? In football it is either you play and win, draw or lose. I am sure you are aware that when our children will look at the records in the next forty years, it will not be written that ‘we played well‘. What they will see is the fact that we lost. Full stop! For pushing out Amodu, you guys must go out there and justify your oyibo coach and the hundreds of millions of Naira you are wasting on him.”Angry Nigerian Joseph Aguebor to Paul Bassey, June 13, 2010.

“OUR football authorities always claim that our domestic coaches are not up to date because they don‘t attend refresher courses and seminars. But, can they please tell us how up to date Lars Lagerback of Sweden is, or, how many refresher courses and seminars he ever attended? Many people that chose to ignore his unimpressive profile were willing to give him a chance with our Super Eagles. However, it is now clear that hiring Lagerback was one of the biggest blunders ever of the Glasshouse. Can we imagine how many Nigerian coaches could have been trained and retrained in the best institutions in the world with the hundreds of millions of Naira that they said they spent on Lagerback?”Super Eagles fan Asuzu Okereke, June 25, 2010.

“CONTINUITY does not justify proceeding or continuing on the wrong path. To get to your destination you must first take a path that leads to it. Continuing on a path that leads away from your destination will only lead you farther and farther away from it.”Super Eagles fan Bassey Ekpo, June 25, 2010.

“CHOPPING and changing of coaches did not make things easy for us in the World Cup. We need to have confidence in our own African coaches. Most of the teams coached by their former players – like Brazil, Germany, Holland and Denmark- are doing well.”Former captain of Super Eagles Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha, June 22, 2010.

“HOW can Africa let that happen? How come the continent‘s first World Cup is not used to showcase its best and brightest in coaching? It leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. A look at the performances of the African teams so far reveals that trusting foreign coaches with African teams is a misguided concept. The continent must give its own coaches the opportunity to learn and gather useful experiences.”Africa, Europe, and World Footballer of the Year 1995 George Opong Weah, June 19, 2010.

“BRING them on now, we are ready. We have no injury worries in the Eagles and they want to win the game for Nigerians. I appreciate the pressure from Nigerians but that is what you get with every World Cup game. All I can say is that we are ready to exploit the weaknesses of the Argentines to secure the three maximum points. I do not know anything about Maradona as a coach. He was a good player no doubt but his antecedents as a coach I do not know,  . We know that his boys play offensive football and we have planned for it,  Just as we hope to attack them 100% from the gaps that would be created.”Super Eagles technical adviser Lars Lagerback, June 11, 2010.

“DIEGO Maradona prepared (the move) and we practised (with Heinze) for a couple of hours. (Nigeria) mark in zone but bunched inside (the box) leaving a very big hole (near the edge). And it came off at the first attempt.”Argentina midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron, June 12, 2010.

“WE have been working on how to defend set-pieces. But this time around, we have taught the players other forms of defending it, especially after what happened against Argentina. Defending set-pieces would not be a problem for us against Greece, I can assure you. I have never worked with a bunch of players who have shown stunning approach to what is being taught on the pitch. They are ready to devour the Greeks . . .”Super Eagles technical adviser Lars Lagerback, June 16, 2010.

“WE couldn‘t have done better. We rehearsed for set-pieces but unfortunately, the two goals against us were set-pieces. I‘m the one who picks the players, who takes the decisions, and decide the match plans, so I accept responsibility for Nigeria‘s ouster. Everyone that played today was better than Osaze from what I saw during the preparations for the game against South Korea.”Super Eagles technical adviser Lars Lagerback, June 22, 2010.

http://punchng.com/Article2Print.aspx?theartic=Art201006271292871

(1) (Reply)

World Cup2010 Best 11 / Shocks For Falconets - Government Rewards Them With Scholarships / Siasia To Be Best Paid Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.