Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure (1324 Views)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / My Experience "Ringing" An Engine / Common Symptoms Of Power Steering Pump Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by TRYGO(m): 1:11am On Aug 29, 2018
Majority of folks or let me say car owners aren't happy installing used parts on their vehicles.

This has being necessitated, because of the lack of genuine new parts, in the automotive supply chain.

Most parts in the market being displayed as new, are in fact substandard, and dangerous to the safety operations of machinery.

Today, I'd be sharing an experience with you guys, on some of the consequences of patronising the so-called new parts, and how you could identify one, for example.

Have a glance through the article, and save yourselves the headaches from resultant failures of 'new' parts, when they occur.

For me, in the absence of trusted parts, I'd opt for an order online from Amazon, or get a low mileage used one from a junk yard.

http://www.dxta.net.ng/2018/08/28/car-owners-beware-of-fake-new-parts-in-the-market-engine-water-pump-failure-a-case-study/#more-409

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
www.dxta.net.ng
Isolo

Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:56am On Aug 29, 2018
We need to be MORE eagle-eyed when it comes to buying spare parts.
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by diportivo: 4:14am On Aug 29, 2018
Have a glance through the article,and save yourselves the headaches of resultant failures when they occur.

if I click that link make my honda engine disappear overnight undecided

For me, in the absence of trusted parts, I'd opt for an order online from Amazon, or get a low mileage used one from a junk yard.

I am more interested in where this junkyard is,and how we will determine if it's actually low mileage

junkyard location please

2 Likes

Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by TRYGO(m): 6:36am On Aug 29, 2018
@ diportivo: Emmm, I know you'd eagle eyed that part of it. But in totality, it APPARANTLY means check any used parts market. Are you a Nigerian, or from Mars? Just kidding here. Someone from the USA, or Europe would get what I meant, and even you. Ladipo in my view, or Owode can be a huge source of "junk" markets.

Sometimes, low mileage, could actually be from vehicles that you know their history, as its obtainable in the USA (I know you'd say it's not done in Nigeria). But what about the parts you buy in such markets? Aren't they "low mileage" according to your instincts?

Thanks dude, for the pointer. I sure hope you understood some of the REAL reasons for the the article, and not the APPARENT?
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by TRYGO(m): 6:48am On Aug 29, 2018
@diportivo. Paragraph five, has been corrected. Thanks for the pointer.
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by timifakay(m): 7:44am On Aug 29, 2018
Here we go... Thank me later.

FAKE ‘NEW’ PARTS EVERYWHERE: ENGINE WATER PUMP FAILURE. A CASE STUDY.

The flooding of markets with fake, or substandard parts, goods, has being one of the major challenges that has faced governments, and even car owners, all over the world. Its not that there are no laws and/or policies in place, to stem this tide, that has decimated rising economies world over. But the problems, has always being, that of the wills on the part of regulatory authorizes, to enforce such policies.

Car owners, for instance are not left behind in feeling the negative impacts, substandard parts has wrecked on their vehicles, and the deep hole, that has created in their financial pockets.

I think the problem isn’t that some car owners don’t want or desire to have new and genuine parts installed on their vehicles, the concerns most of these car owners share, at least in my experience, has always being, 1) are we sure of the so-called new parts we have in the supply chain?; 2) what are the costs of such parts, as compared to new ones?.

Some clue ts don’t care about how much genuine parts would cost them, as long as its really genuine, and would either last like the OEM, or more than the OEM parts sold as aftermarket parts.

In this write up, I’d present a case study of a replacement pump that a client claimed he bought, for N50,000(~$139).

Here we go guys!

VEHICLE INFO:

Mileage: 163932mi

Vehicle type: Toyota Sienna

Model year: 2002

Engine capacity: .3.0L

CUSTOMER COMPLAINT

“Each day after parking my car, I had to top up coolant(water in his case), almost everyday”.

DIAGNOSIS CARRIED OUT

1. Visually inspected all the engine cooling systems: radiator, radiator upper and Lowe hoses, inclusive of the heater core hoses, and the drive belt area.

Displays exposed timing belt and pump

2. No leaks found in the cooling systems, except there were traces of coolants around the water pump WEEP hole(that hole indicates point where leaks occurs, when a water pump is heading South! I bet you know what I mean!?).

The leak from that water was significant, that if the customer hadn’t noticed it really quick, it would have caused him an engine replacement, or some bucks in engine rebuilds.

I bet you, he was really smart here. He’s a kind of a traveling freak guys! And you know what? He dearly loves his Sienna as well.

THE FIX!?

Yeah fixing that stuff isn’t that easy. You got to be proficient with tools, and also have some kind of experience on timing an engine properly.

1. There are procedures to follow in such a pump replacement.

If you are not comfortable with embarking in such a tedious tasks, get it done by a professional, and pay em.

2. Get the engine timed properly, before removing the timing belt, water pump, etc.

Without proper timing during this job, you run the risk of engine damage.

3. Once the timing belt is off the way, this is a better time to inspect the timing belts for wear, and if need be replace it.

Timing belts are replacement items. They are not supposed to last forever in your engine.

They wear just like every other item on a vehicle.

4. Remove the water pump, and replaced with a new one, purchased by the customer.

5. Rotata all drive belt bearings by hand. This would enable you identify any one that’s in its final stages of failure.

PROBLEMS AFTERWARDS WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

1. Smoke and the smell of burning rubber, was coming from the hood of the car, when it was driven a fee distance down the street.

2. Popped the hood open, and discovered smoke filled at the drive belt area

INVESTIGATING SOURCE OF SMOKE

1. Suspected smoke and rubber smell was coming from the timing belt area, and had to opened up the timing belt cover for inspection.

Upper and lower timing belt bearings

2. Removed the timing belt after proper timing of the engine, and all the drive belt bearings were rotated by hand, to check if there are resistance (friction) against rotation.

3. Discoveries:

* two drive belt bearings showed signs of excessive heat damage, due to the discolorations of their outer circumferences, and some missing ball bearings in one of the drive belt bearings.

From L>R: lower timing belt bearing missing some ball bearings; upper bearing stuck failed totally, not rotating.

Discolorations on the circumferences showed bearing failures due to extreme heat

*timing belt outer surfaces showed signs of significant sudden wear, as a result of the huge resistances offered by the drive belt bearings on the belt outer surface, as a result of the bearing failures.

Notice straight lines like a railway track, as if it has being pressed with a hot iron rod

Glazed surfaces on the steps of the timing belt.

* the replacement water pump was a fake one.

It had all the logo of Toyota engraved on it, and on the packaging pack.

Unequal number of impeller blades, two weep holes, and uneven surfaces on new pump

The results from the investigations above, led us to conclude that all the resultant failures of the drive belt bearings, and the timing belt, wasn’t a normal failure, but was as a result of the fake water pump that was installed.

HOW DID WE GET TO KNOW THE PUMP WAS THE CULPRIT?

1. There was no part number on engraved on the replacement water pump.

The pack only had Lexus printed, and the pump itself, had a Toyota spelling engraved on it.

Toyota would always engraved part numbers of the applicable items.

2. The finishing on the pump was obvious. It was not done perfectly.

There were a lot of undulations or uneven surfaces at the edges of the pump.

3. The number of impeller blades on the replacement pump were six, in the old pump, you had more than that number.

A reduced number of blades on the replacement pump, would only aggravate to a bigger problem.

Pumps with larger, or more number of impeller blades, would move significant amount of fluids (liquid or air), through a medium to achieve desired results: move coolants through the entire engine cylinder and block in this case.

4. Comparing the water pump impeller shaft with the old pump, we discovered that the shaft on the new pump, was just too LONG!(this was the cause of the problem).

5. The new pump had two weep holes on the top and below the casing, while the old one, had only one, below the aluminum casing.

Pumps almost look alike. Looking closely, you could spot the difference

¶¶¶ The cause of the smoke rising from the hood, was as a result of the new water pump impeller shaft, with its long protrusion, touching the aluminum cover that covers the water pump bearings(which the riming belt rolls over).¶¶¶

Take a look at the point/home almost being bored by the shaft of the new pump. This increased the frictional forces on the timing belt bearings, and subsequent failures of them, and the timing belt.

CONCLUSION

Always weigh the costs of the damages and financial strain a so-called “new” parts would have on your car before committing to make payments.

If accessing genuine parts is a huge challenge, get low mileaged used parts from a junk yard. They are cheap, and durable.

Sometimes, aftermarket parts are more durable, than OEM. If don’t agree, try some of such parts someday.

What are your thoughts about substandard motor parts being peddled all over the place, as genuine ones?

What are tour experiences with any of those?

Have you had bitter experiences as this car owner before?

Share your comments with us.

Thanks for the read guys!

1 Like

Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by radautoworks: 7:57am On Aug 29, 2018
TRYGO:
@ diportivo: Emmm, I know you'd eagle eyed that part of it. But in totality, it APPARANTLY means check any used parts market. Are you a Nigerian, or from Mars? Just kidding here. Someone from the USA, or Europe would get what I meant, and even you. Ladipo in my view, or Owode can be a huge source of "junk" markets.

Sometimes, low mileage, could actually be from vehicles that you know their history, as its obtainable in the USA (I know you'd say it's not done in Nigeria). But what about the parts you buy in such markets? Aren't they "low mileage" according to your instincts?

Thanks dude, for the pointer. I sure hope you understood some of the REAL reasons for the the article, and not the APPARENT?

Now Carquest is in Nigeria there IS a source of genuine, new, warranties parts. Problem is people are so used to paying for counterfeit, prices are usually a shock.
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by TRYGO(m): 8:05am On Aug 29, 2018
@radautos. Hehehe! Yeah, realised that recently on one of your threads.

My expectation is that apart from getting OEM parts from you guys, I'd expect to have a market for aftermarket parts as well(some aftermarket parts, improves on the weaknesses of OEMS).

Emmm, I sure know this article channels potential clients to you guys.

Nice job you guys doing.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by thebigkendo(m): 9:32am On Aug 29, 2018
diportivo:
Have a glance through the article,and save yourselves the headaches of resultant failures when they occur.

if I click that link make my honda engine disappear overnight undecided

Same here grin grin
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by thebigkendo(m): 9:35am On Aug 29, 2018
timifakay:
Here we go... Thank me later.

FAKE ‘NEW’ PARTS EVERYWHERE: ENGINE WATER PUMP FAILURE. A CASE STUDY.

The flooding of markets with fake, or substandard parts, goods, has being one of the major challenges that has faced governments, and even car owners, all over the world. Its not that there are no laws and/or policies in place, to stem this tide, that has decimated rising economies world over. But the problems, has always being, that of the wills on the part of regulatory authorizes, to enforce such policies.

Car owners, for instance are not left behind in feeling the negative impacts, substandard parts has wrecked on their vehicles, and the deep hole, that has created in their financial pockets.

I think the problem isn’t that some car owners don’t want or desire to have new and genuine parts installed on their vehicles, the concerns most of these car owners share, at least in my experience, has always being, 1) are we sure of the so-called new parts we have in the supply chain?; 2) what are the costs of such parts, as compared to new ones?.

Some clue ts don’t care about how much genuine parts would cost them, as long as its really genuine, and would either last like the OEM, or more than the OEM parts sold as aftermarket parts.

In this write up, I’d present a case study of a replacement pump that a client claimed he bought, for N50,000(~$139).

Here we go guys!

VEHICLE INFO:

Mileage: 163932mi

Vehicle type: Toyota Sienna

Model year: 2002

Engine capacity: .3.0L

CUSTOMER COMPLAINT

“Each day after parking my car, I had to top up coolant(water in his case), almost everyday”.

DIAGNOSIS CARRIED OUT

1. Visually inspected all the engine cooling systems: radiator, radiator upper and Lowe hoses, inclusive of the heater core hoses, and the drive belt area.

Displays exposed timing belt and pump

2. No leaks found in the cooling systems, except there were traces of coolants around the water pump WEEP hole(that hole indicates point where leaks occurs, when a water pump is heading South! I bet you know what I mean!?).

The leak from that water was significant, that if the customer hadn’t noticed it really quick, it would have caused him an engine replacement, or some bucks in engine rebuilds.

I bet you, he was really smart here. He’s a kind of a traveling freak guys! And you know what? He dearly loves his Sienna as well.

THE FIX!?

Yeah fixing that stuff isn’t that easy. You got to be proficient with tools, and also have some kind of experience on timing an engine properly.

1. There are procedures to follow in such a pump replacement.

If you are not comfortable with embarking in such a tedious tasks, get it done by a professional, and pay em.

2. Get the engine timed properly, before removing the timing belt, water pump, etc.

Without proper timing during this job, you run the risk of engine damage.

3. Once the timing belt is off the way, this is a better time to inspect the timing belts for wear, and if need be replace it.

Timing belts are replacement items. They are not supposed to last forever in your engine.

They wear just like every other item on a vehicle.

4. Remove the water pump, and replaced with a new one, purchased by the customer.

5. Rotata all drive belt bearings by hand. This would enable you identify any one that’s in its final stages of failure.

PROBLEMS AFTERWARDS WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

1. Smoke and the smell of burning rubber, was coming from the hood of the car, when it was driven a fee distance down the street.

2. Popped the hood open, and discovered smoke filled at the drive belt area

INVESTIGATING SOURCE OF SMOKE

1. Suspected smoke and rubber smell was coming from the timing belt area, and had to opened up the timing belt cover for inspection.

Upper and lower timing belt bearings

2. Removed the timing belt after proper timing of the engine, and all the drive belt bearings were rotated by hand, to check if there are resistance (friction) against rotation.

3. Discoveries:

* two drive belt bearings showed signs of excessive heat damage, due to the discolorations of their outer circumferences, and some missing ball bearings in one of the drive belt bearings.

From L>R: lower timing belt bearing missing some ball bearings; upper bearing stuck failed totally, not rotating.

Discolorations on the circumferences showed bearing failures due to extreme heat

*timing belt outer surfaces showed signs of significant sudden wear, as a result of the huge resistances offered by the drive belt bearings on the belt outer surface, as a result of the bearing failures.

Notice straight lines like a railway track, as if it has being pressed with a hot iron rod

Glazed surfaces on the steps of the timing belt.

* the replacement water pump was a fake one.

It had all the logo of Toyota engraved on it, and on the packaging pack.

Unequal number of impeller blades, two weep holes, and uneven surfaces on new pump

The results from the investigations above, led us to conclude that all the resultant failures of the drive belt bearings, and the timing belt, wasn’t a normal failure, but was as a result of the fake water pump that was installed.

HOW DID WE GET TO KNOW THE PUMP WAS THE CULPRIT?

1. There was no part number on engraved on the replacement water pump.

The pack only had Lexus printed, and the pump itself, had a Toyota spelling engraved on it.

Toyota would always engraved part numbers of the applicable items.

2. The finishing on the pump was obvious. It was not done perfectly.

There were a lot of undulations or uneven surfaces at the edges of the pump.

3. The number of impeller blades on the replacement pump were six, in the old pump, you had more than that number.

A reduced number of blades on the replacement pump, would only aggravate to a bigger problem.

Pumps with larger, or more number of impeller blades, would move significant amount of fluids (liquid or air), through a medium to achieve desired results: move coolants through the entire engine cylinder and block in this case.

4. Comparing the water pump impeller shaft with the old pump, we discovered that the shaft on the new pump, was just too LONG!(this was the cause of the problem).

5. The new pump had two weep holes on the top and below the casing, while the old one, had only one, below the aluminum casing.

Pumps almost look alike. Looking closely, you could spot the difference

¶¶¶ The cause of the smoke rising from the hood, was as a result of the new water pump impeller shaft, with its long protrusion, touching the aluminum cover that covers the water pump bearings(which the riming belt rolls over).¶¶¶

Take a look at the point/home almost being bored by the shaft of the new pump. This increased the frictional forces on the timing belt bearings, and subsequent failures of them, and the timing belt.

CONCLUSION

Always weigh the costs of the damages and financial strain a so-called “new” parts would have on your car before committing to make payments.

If accessing genuine parts is a huge challenge, get low mileaged used parts from a junk yard. They are cheap, and durable.

Sometimes, aftermarket parts are more durable, than OEM. If don’t agree, try some of such parts someday.

What are your thoughts about substandard motor parts being peddled all over the place, as genuine ones?

What are tour experiences with any of those?

Have you had bitter experiences as this car owner before?

Share your comments with us.

Thanks for the read guys!

Thank you jare.. i was never going the click the link grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by snipesdam(m): 10:15am On Aug 29, 2018
All these long stories and no pictorial entertainment.

undecided
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by Crixie(m): 2:39pm On Aug 29, 2018
Always carry out surveys and have realistic budgets when you want to buy genuine parts.Original brand new parts are readily available, You just have to know how n where to look.

1 Like

Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by TRYGO(m): 9:30pm On Aug 29, 2018
Yeah, same here too guys!
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by TRYGO(m): 9:32pm On Aug 29, 2018
@snipesdam. You can get pictorial presentations from the link provided in the write up.

Just some basic stuffs you may have known for ages.
Re: Fake "New" Parts Everywhere. An Engine Water Pump Failure by radautoworks: 3:54am On Aug 30, 2018
TRYGO:
@radautos. Hehehe! Yeah, realised that recently on one of your threads.

My expectation is that apart from getting OEM parts from you guys, I'd expect to have a market for aftermarket parts as well(some aftermarket parts, improves on the weaknesses of OEMS).

Emmm, I sure know this article channels potential clients to you guys.

Nice job you guys doing.

Regards

Thanks. Honestly,we don't care where people get their parts as long as they are good parts. Obviously we'd like if it's us but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as they're good. We have both aftermarket and oems btw. Anything on advance auto parts website is available. Now to find faster than 6-10 day shipping for items not already in warehouse.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(Photos) Abuja Doctor Loses Vehicle To Devastating Fire / Which Of These Cars Would You Rather Drive Back Then? TBT / 2010 Corolla Sport Car For Fastest Finger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.