Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,998 members, 7,814,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

My Experience "Ringing" An Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience "Ringing" An Engine (34231 Views)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / 6 Indications Your Car Needs An Engine Rebuilt / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by temmym4(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2018
I have decided to share this with everyone just to help someone out there who might be in the shoe i was once in.

As a lover of Manual Tranny, i missed and wanted to keep one at home to drive so i eventually got a fairly used Nissan Primera p11 (1998) quite clean and ok, but one issue, Revving the engine brings out smoke from the exhaust, not a serious smoke actually but if u are the type that know your onions, it is clearly an indication that Valves and/or Rings and starting to worn out and allowing oil into them little by little.

*Please note that i knew about this before i agree with the deal and the price the vehicle was given out was ok for me to replace the engine if i wish to.

I guess this happened due to the Negligence of the former owner and the type of engine oil he uses.

The thing is, u cant find out yourself except if someone rev the vehicle for you while u watch from the rear.

Some other days, the vehicle brings out smokes for few seconds after parking overnight.

Apart from the smoking part, i took time to check underneath the engine bottom plate or oil pan (not a mechanic so i actually don't know what that is called) and found oil at the bottom, which actually indicates there is a leak. And d way thing look dow there, i can see that the pan hit a hard stuff and i guess there is a little crack

Now there are 3 things involved,
1. My engine oil is leaking from the bottom due to a crack oil pan
2. It sometimes brings out blue smoke after parking a long time, for instance, overnight.. then stops, i.e valve seals are bad.
3. Revving a bit higher brings out blue smokes too, visible only to people behind u.. i.e my Piston rings are beginning to go bad already.

Although the car moves well and the engine still very active, i know i v got to get solution to those stuffs before it kills the engine and probably smoking all day on with no compression later on.

Did i tell u i had to top 1L of oil every 2 weeks since it's shortening and after a long journey?

I decided to visit a trusted mechanic and i explained things to him.

On the issue of engine, i had an option of either buying another one which costs about 130k or rebuild my existing one with new valve seals and rings which costs around 30k.

I have heard a lot of sad stories concerning ringing so i opted that one out. Some even said it doesn't last more than 6 months.
He smiled and explained some things to me.

"A successful Ringing involves an experience mechanic and also using genuine parts, " and that "some of the engines which is even sold to people as tokunbo are the refurbished ones, worked on with new rings by us here and resold as tokunbo"

I wasn't really convinced at first but after some months i made a calculation..

*A new Tokunbo engine costs around 130k (I wasn't ready to spend that on something am not even sure of the quality)

*My mechanic will rebuild my old engine for 30k

*I buy 1Litre oil for top-up every 2weeks at 2k, thats 4k for a month, apart from the regular service i do every 2 months with an oil of 4k.

So for a total of 6 months, l will use about 10Litres (10 cans of 1L) topping oil and 8Litres (2 cans of 4L) for regular servicing which makes a total of N28,000 just for the oil aside workmanship.

Now, why not put this money together and try out the engine ringing, use it for the same 6months. It's iron cast built engine anyway so it shouldn't be very hard for a successful rebuilding afterall, according to what i got online.

Besides, the money is not even up to what some people will give to a lady or buy drinks at a go. Even some people spend more than that to service their cars just one month.

Job started, oil pan was replaced.. New rings and valve seals done. The whole job took 3 days.

Before i went to pick it up, i read about what and what not to do after ringing an engine so i got that covered

Throughout my journey home, i wasn't convenient driving the car as i was busy listening to any sign of somethin breaking in the engine . grin.. Infact i go drive small and open the bonnet to check if water has mixed with the engine oil, or maybe coolant is now inside the gear oil grin

There was even a point where i could smell oil burning when the engine was warm after driving some minutes, i pulled over to see if oil has splashed all over the road grin

I have never paid attention to all my dashboard gauges like that single moment of driving away from mechanic workshop after the ring was done.

After that day, i began a countdown when that 6 months will come. More like someone who is waiting for a death sentence. Damn, some people can give u fear and discouragement ehn grin

To cut the long story short. 6 months has come and gone, car is used everyday and travels long journeys too, smoke no gree come o, instead na water vapor dey come out of it's exhaust every morning.. Especially steaming during cold mornings grin

Not a single drop of oil again either underneath or on oil stick.

The only thing i do now is change the oil and filter every 3 months or 3000KM whichever comes first. Nothin more.

Imagine still letting myself suffer till now and wasting money just because some Kazeems did a bad job for someone else, either an inexperienced one or he purposely bought knock off piston rings.

Also the first 1000KM after ringing matters too. I had to follow instructions online on how to break-in vehicle with new rings properly, i don't just depend on my mechanic advice only.

And yes, a "Kazeem" did the job for me,

My advice.

*Never let anyone push you, listen to advises, make use of the one that favours you, don't just just follow others' footsteps.

*Not everyone has got a lost of cash in the bank and can afford to buy a Tokunbo engine.

*Just because Mr A's job wasn't done successfully doesn't quite mean yours will follow the same pattern

*Don't be too stingy with your mechanic, you will be at the receiving end since they ll keep cheating you and buying you knock off parts, don't act too wise. Especially when rebuilding engine

*Get a competent mechanic with a fear of God who ll tell you the truth, it will help you and your car a lot

*I think Iron cast built engines are better rebuilt compared to the Aluminium ones. Infact i wont advice anyone with aluminium engine to rebuild, my own opinion.

*Personally, i feel getting competent mechanics that specializes on commercial vehicle will do a better job rebuilding an engine. My own opinion and from experience though.

My own story though. I hope it helps someone out there.
Please share your experience too if you ever had an engine rebuilt, maybe someone out there can learn from the perfection and mistakes as well.

***UPDATE**
It's almost 2 years already. Car doesnt smoke, everything is still in perfect condition.
Just servicing as at when due will keep your vehicle healthy and it will serve you for long.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by mayor2013: 1:40pm On Oct 04, 2018
What year is your Nissan?
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by Inception(m): 1:54pm On Oct 04, 2018
And the repair gang now have a disciple grin
before scores was 400:1 cheesy
now scores is 400:2 angry

12 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by Readonee35L(m): 2:29pm On Oct 04, 2018
temmym4:
I have decided to share this with everyone just to help someone out there who might be in the shoe i was once in.

As a lover of Manual Tranny, i missed and wanted to keep one at home to drive so i eventually got a fairly used Nissan Primera p11 (1998) quite clean
mayor2013:
What year is your Nissan?
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by mayor2013: 2:39pm On Oct 04, 2018
[quote author=Readonee35L post=71779072][/quote]

Thanks
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by thebigkendo(m): 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2018
temmym4:

As a lover of Manual Tranny, i missed and wanted to keep one at home to drive so i eventually got a fairly used Nissan Primera p11 (1998) quite clean.

One of my oga madam just ringed same motor. Wagon with Manual tranny.. We still dey look am sha.. Its not yet up to 6 months
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by diportivo: 4:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
Inception:
And the repair gang now have a disciple grin
before scores was 400:1 cheesy
now scores is 400:2 angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by Alvin007: 4:58pm On Oct 04, 2018
Ogakazeem ... na you repair/rebuild this one? grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by Arysexy(m): 5:27pm On Oct 04, 2018
No pics?

Pics will buttress your points
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by weyreypey: 5:41pm On Oct 04, 2018
Put your ac on. Hehehe... Just start using AC with the ringing.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by fm7070: 7:46pm On Oct 04, 2018
Good experience.
Don't dare try rebuilding primera with 2.0 engine
Keep enjoying your ride
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by dru23(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
temmym4:

As a lover of Manual Tranny, i missed and wanted to keep one at home to drive so i eventually got a fairly used Nissan Primera p11 (1998) quite clean and ok, but one issue, Revving the engine brings out smoke from the exhaust, not a serious smoke actually but if u are the type that know your onions, it is clearly an indication that Valves and/or Rings and starting to worn out and allowing oil into them little by little.

*Please note that i knew about this before i agree with the deal and the price the vehicle was given out was ok for me to replace the engine if i wish to.

I guess this happened due to the Negligence of the former owner and the type of engine oil he uses.

The thing is, u cant find out yourself except if someone rev the vehicle for you while u watch from the rear.

Some other days, the vehicle brings out smokes for few seconds after parking overnight.

Apart from the smoking part, i took time to check underneath the engine bottom plate or oil pan (not a mechanic so i actually don't know what that is called) and found oil at the bottom, which actually indicates there is a leak. And d way thing look dow there, i can see that the pan hit a hard stuff and i guess there is a little crack

Now there are 3 things involved,
1. My engine oil is leaking from the bottom due to a crack oil pan
2. It sometimes brings out blue smoke after parking a long time, for instance, overnight.. then stops, i.e valve seals are bad.
3. Revving a bit higher brings out blue smokes too, visible only to people behind u.. i.e my Piston rings are beginning to go bad already.

Although the car moves well and the engine still very active, i know i v got to get solution to those stuffs before it kills the engine and probably smoking all day on with no compression later on.

Did i tell u i had to top 1L of oil every 2 weeks since it's shortening and after a long journey?

I decided to visit a trusted mechanic and i explained things to him.

On the issue of engine, i had an option of either buying another one which costs about 130k or rebuild my existing one with new valve seals and rings which costs around 30k.

I have heard a lot of sad stories concerning ringing so i opted that one out. Some even said it doesn't last more than 6 months.
He smiled and explained some things to me.

"A successful Ringing involves an experience mechanic and also using genuine parts, " and that "some of the engines which is even sold to people as tokunbo are the refurbished ones, worked on with new rings by us here and resold as tokunbo"

I wasn't really convinced at first but after some months i made a calculation..

*A new Tokunbo engine costs around 130k (I wasn't ready to spend that on something am not even sure of the quality)

*My mechanic will rebuild my old engine for 30k

*I buy 1Litre oil for top-up every 2weeks at 2k, thats 4k for a month, apart from the regular service i do every 2 months with an oil of 4k.

So for a total of 6 months, l will use about 10Litres (10 cans of 1L) topping oil and 8Litres (2 cans of 4L) for regular servicing which makes a total of N28,000 just for the oil aside workmanship.

Now, why not put this money together and try out the engine ringing, use it for the same 6months. It's iron cast built engine anyway so it shouldn't be very hard for a successful rebuilding afterall, according to what i got online.

Besides, the money is not even up to what some people will give to a lady or buy drinks at a go. Even some people spend more than that to service their cars just one month.

Job started, oil pan was replaced.. New rings and valve seals done. The whole job took 3 days.

Before i went to pick it up, i read about what and what not to do after ringing an engine so i got that covered

Throughout my journey home, i wasn't convenient driving the car as i was busy listening to any sign of somethin breaking in the engine . grin.. Infact i go drive small and open the bonnet to check if water has mixed with the engine oil, or maybe coolant is now inside the gear oil grin

There was even a point where i could smell oil burning when the engine was warm after driving some minutes, i pulled over to see if oil has splashed all over the road grin

I have never paid attention to all my dashboard gauges like that single moment of driving away from mechanic workshop after the ring was done.

After that day, i began a countdown when that 6 months will come. More like someone who is waiting for a death sentence. Damn, some people can give u fear and discouragement ehn grin

To cut the long story short. 6 months has come and gone, car is used everyday and travels long journeys too, smoke no gree come o, instead na water vapor dey come out of it's exhaust every morning.. Especially steaming during cold mornings grin

Not a single drop of oil again either underneath or on oil stick.

The only thing i do now is change the oil and filter every 3 months or 3000KM whichever comes first. Nothin more.

Imagine still letting myself suffer till now and wasting money just because some Kazeems did a bad job for someone else, either an inexperienced one or he purposely bought knock off piston rings.

Also the first 1000KM after ringing matters too. I had to follow instructions online on how to break-in vehicle with new rings properly, i don't just depend on my mechanic advice only.

And yes, a "Kazeem" did the job for me,

My advice.

*Never let anyone push you, listen to advises, make use of the one that favours you, don't just just follow others' footsteps.

*Not everyone has got a lost of cash in the bank and can afford to buy a Tokunbo engine.

*Just because Mr A's job wasn't done successfully doesn't quite mean yours will follow the same pattern

*Don't be too stingy with your mechanic, you will be at the receiving end since they ll keep cheating you and buying you knock off parts, don't act too wise. Especially when rebuilding engine

*Get a competent mechanic with a fear of God who ll tell you the truth, it will help you and your car a lot

*I think Iron cast built engines are better rebuilt compared to the Aluminium ones. Infact i wont advice anyone with aluminium engine to rebuild, my own opinion.

*Personally, i feel getting competent mechanics that specializes on commercial vehicle will do a better job rebuilding an engine. My own opinion and from experience though.

My own story though. I hope it helps someone out there.
Please share your experience too if you ever had an engine rebuilt, maybe someone out there can learn from the perfection and mistakes as well.

Thanks for your input brother... when I tell people to use proper oil ,they will say that am peddling my wares around coz I sell USA spec Mobil oil ... I have the same issues with one of my uber cars.. The car has been using road side or 5naira kobo oil ..so when I now switch to Mobil extended performance oil , the car short oil ,to the level between max and empty, basically the middle stick ....no sign of oil leakages the car runs fine etc ..so after I Google am ,it says to first check pcv valves first and change that.. The pcv valves are good for about 20k miles or so. So now I bought a new pcv valves from eBay $10, pistons rings for $40.00 rings over size for $10 and seals for $10 ,so the only thing am waiting for now is a good mechanic.. Can you recommend me one that you use ..am Base in Lagos .and also after the first oil shorten, the engine has been topped with oil for the first time.. But after two weeks only a little of oil shorten , very small short.. Bur before it gets bad I want replace those things that might be causeing oil shorten... I don't want to sit till it is too late.. Thanks again for your post and please send me the mechanic number that did yours ... and you shall live long ...

1 Like

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by OgaKazeem(m): 12:28am On Oct 05, 2018
Alvin007:
Ogakazeem ... na you repair/rebuild this one? grin

Nob me ooo..? As op ring am d thing dey work na. If na my work baba go don carry d ingene come back make we use am chop again...

3 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by OgaKazeem(m): 12:32am On Oct 05, 2018
dru23:

Thanks for your input brother... when I tell people to use proper oil ,they will say that am peddling my wares around coz I sell USA spec Mobil oil ... I have the same issues with one of my uber cars.. The car has been using road side or 5naira kobo oil ..so when I now switch to Mobil extended performance oil , the car short oil ,to the level between max and empty, basically the middle stick ....no sign of oil leakages the car runs fine etc ..so after I Google am ,it says to first check pcv valves first and change that.. The pcv valves are good for about 20k miles or so. So now I bought a new pcv valves from eBay $10, pistons rings for $40.00 rings over size for $10 and seals for $10 ,so the only thing am waiting for now is a good mechanic.. Can you recommend me one that you use ..am Base in Lagos .and also after the first oil shorten, the engine has been topped with oil for the first time.. But after two weeks only a little of oil shorten , very small short.. Bur before it gets bad I want replace those things that might be causeing oil shorten... I don't want to sit till it is too late.. Thanks again for your post and please send me the mechanic number that did yours ... and you shall live long ...

Oga bring am come make I epp you fix am na... but if U dey come abeg bring dt 30w70 oyel for iya Rady side. Na dt oyel make sense now...

6 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by dru23(m): 1:46am On Oct 05, 2018
OgaKazeem:

Oga bring am come make I epp you fix am na... but if U dey come abeg bring dt 30w70 oyel for iya Rady side. Na dt oyel make sense now...

I dey sell oyel now.. Make I go buy another person oyel? Abi you smoke something dis nite?

9 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by homeboy205: 7:59am On Oct 05, 2018
All

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by thebigkendo(m): 9:01am On Oct 05, 2018
dru23:

Dru baba we see what you did grin grin
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by OgaKazeem(m): 9:05am On Oct 05, 2018
dru23:

I dey sell oyel now.. Make I go buy another person oyel? Abi you smoke something dis nite?

ur own na 30w70? ask Gazzuzz and our co-Demeanors. they say na d oyel wey make sense b dt

1 Like

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by Wilfredpat22(f): 9:45am On Oct 05, 2018
Toyota Camry 2000 for sale.
*with Complete papers expiring August 2019 *Ac working with Gas *Securities on the car include- Steering Lock and Door automatic lock *Black Alloy Rims *Extra Tire *4 plugs

Going for 620k last slightly negotiable Location -Ibadan
Call/WhatsApp zero Eight One Five One Three eight nine nine one five
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:54am On Oct 05, 2018
dru23:

they will say that am peddling my wares around

No be only you dey sell oil, sir. Gazza dey sell, Radi dey sell, many people dey sell. But na only you dey disturb the full cartalk like tinker.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by weyreypey: 10:11am On Oct 05, 2018
homeboy205:
I had a problem with Toyota Camry 2002 its barely 2 years and it started shorting oil, had to top up every now and then.. Went to my Kazeem he boasted about been the ring master saying I shouldn't worry he's good at it. I was considering buying a new engine but I was broke. So I opted for Kazeem advice , the job took 2 days.

***PLEASE NOTE****

This is where I know the Kazeem is truly a ring master. He ordered for a ring that is wider than my cylinder bore(ring for a cylinder rebore by 10 or so but my cylinder bore is still good doesn't need rebore).. He took his time
Like 5 hours ringing the 4 cylinder. He put them one by one inside the piston house then run it down and up, it be hard because the rings are wider, then he will
Bring it out again and file it down to size until it can easily move in the cylinder bore. Out of all the compression rings and oil rings for the 4 cylinder he only over file just one oil ring by a little I mean a little loose but he insisted of not using it saying it will destroy all the other perfect job so We had to order for that again. He made sure to take his time. The whole job cost 55k

Well long story short

This was about 7 months ago... car runs GREAT under full load.. I have done 160 to Lagos and back to ibadan in the same day... I have done 160 to ado back to IB the same day... Car doesn't break down and engine oil is stable and compression is great...

Even Eyinbo dey rebuild

If you are in Ib and need my Kazeem service holla
With the AC on?
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by weyreypey: 10:13am On Oct 05, 2018
Wilfredpat22:
Toyota Camry 2000 for sale.
*with Complete papers expiring August 2019 *Ac working with Gas *Securities on the car include- Steering Lock and Door automatic lock *Black Alloy Rims *Extra Tire *4 plugs

Going for 620k last slightly negotiable Location -Ibadan
Call/WhatsApp zero Eight One Five One Three eight nine nine one five
George. Why are you posing as a woman? Who knows if the car is even stolen?
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by dru23(m): 10:27am On Oct 05, 2018
thebigkendo:

Dru baba we see what you did grin grin

True talk my brother...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by dru23(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2018
OgaKazeem:

ur own na 30w70? ask Gazzuzz and our co-Demeanors. they say na d oyel wey make sense b dt

Now I know why dey call you kazzem.. Wetin be 30w70.. Na new oil be that.... So make I come give you my car to fix abi.. U just showed urself now ...
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by demulepaul: 10:33am On Oct 05, 2018
weyreypey:

With the AC on?
i like this Question Op come and Answer

6 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by dru23(m): 10:34am On Oct 05, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

No be only you dey sell oil, sir. Gazza dey sell, Radi dey sell, many people dey sell. But na only you dey disturb the full cartalk like tinker.

So I no fit express my view without you people thinking that I have some agenda . When I talk I talk from experience and give facts ..why can't you respect that... one of issues I had was oil burn in my car.. Do u think I was fooling around? And I gave a reason for the oil burn, so that people can learn.. I go post pictures of the parts that I bought...
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by dru23(m): 10:36am On Oct 05, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

2 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by temmym4(m): 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2018
weyreypey:
Put your ac on. Hehehe... Just start using AC with the ringing.

Just for the record bros, i hardly drive without putting on the AC.

Guess what? The AC even feel better now compared to when the engine was in its previous status that feels as if the car is pulling another car.

u can even put on the AC and use Gear "2" climb high bump easily without stress grin

Manual drivers, are u feeling me? grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by homeboy205: 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2018
weyreypey:

With the AC on?

Yes I drive everywhere with AC even during cold days just to see if the engine will pack up early after ringing but it's getting stronger...
Not using AC after rebuilt is just a myth...

13 Likes

Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by aumoria(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2018
I have a Toyota Rav4 2002 model to ring. What make of ring and valve seal is reconmended? Please somebody help
Re: My Experience "Ringing" An Engine by homeboy205: 3:28pm On Oct 05, 2018
aumoria:
I have a Toyota Rav4 2002 model to ring. What make of ring and valve seal is reconmended? Please somebody help

I think it run the same engine with Camry 2002 I don't know how my ring was bought but I trusted my Kazeem and he called only one person he says he trust that sell genuine car ring...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

8 Things That Happen When A Nigerian Buys His First Car / Cows Drag Road With Motorist In Abuja (photos) / PHOTOS: Peace Mass Transit Establishes Car Assembly Plant In Emene Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.