Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Tennis Is Interesting Again! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis Is Interesting Again! (17332 Views)

Why Tennis Is A Great Sport To Bet On In Nigeria / London Olympics Tennis Final : Serena Willams Vs Sharapova / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 10:47am On Apr 02, 2007
with serena williams back in form and canas beating roger, is it me or did tennis suddenly become intresting again? undecided
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 11:05am On Apr 02, 2007
guess with serena constantly raising her index finger, she is not content just winning she is gunning for No1, also with the likes of canas beating roger and losing to a superb 19yr old djkovic, i think the rest of the season will be spectacular!
cant wait to see serena , henin, sharapova,djokovic, nadal, murray,roger on clay!
it will b war grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 11:13am On Apr 02, 2007
for me serena's win is far more intresting after reading this article

Serena Williams Is A Lost Cause
IF ANYBODY is qualified to make deluded statements about tennis, it is a former world No 1 and winner of seven Grand Slam titles. But when Serena Williams arrives in Australia on her first foreign playing trip in a year and announces that it is only a matter of time before she is again dominating the sport, it’s time to tell her to get real.

Tennis is unforgiving. You can’t let it slide down the list of priorities, only to realise suddenly that playing the sport was what you wanted to do all along. Many have tried to turn back the clock, but nearly all have failed. That list includes Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Martina Hingis and, for different reasons, Monica Seles.

Admittedly this quartet experienced some success. The exploits of Hingis reaffirm the belief that a good champion never completely loses the gift, but she has gone only a fraction of the way and the No 1 ranking she held for a couple of years is far out of reach. Why? Tennis moved on in her absence.

The only players I can recall who let things slip, only to climb back to the top, were Andre Agassi and Jennifer Capriati. Williams should ask herself if she has the same dedication. And is she prepared to make the sacrifices? The answer is obvious.

As the saying so often used by McEnroe goes: “The older I get, the better player I used to be.” I take issue with Mac over many things, but not the merits of those words.

Williams may be in better physical shape this year than when she pitched up for the 2006 Australian Open, but her three matches in Hobart last week were her first in tournament play since the US Open almost four months ago. Add to that the fact that last year she opted not to play outside the US after losing in the third round in Melbourne and you cannot fail to agree that her application is lacking.

The Williams sisters changed the face of women’s tennis, taking power play to previously unimaginable levels. They blazed everybody else out of their path. But Serena clearly has a limited attention span. At her peak she had no patience in the way she played her tennis. Now she does not appear to have the fortitude to stick at what she is trying to do.

I never experienced a fraction of the success and dominance that she enjoyed, but there came a time in my career when everything associated with being a top player seemed suffocating. I wanted to do different things and the thought of heading to the practice court seemed like purgatory. Eventually I realised how much tennis meant to me and tried to make up for lost time, but although the spirit was willing, the body was not. And it made for years of frustration.

In the same way I maintained that my main interest was aspiring to be a rock musician for a couple of years, Williams said she was an actress. She also got involved in the fashion world and seemed to love every second of it. Good on her. She is entitled to do whatever she wants, and if it made her happy, what more could she ask?

Everybody knows she and Venus had no real choice when their father, Richard, decided that much of their childhood would be spent hitting tennis balls. Who can be surprised that this promotes a desire to do something different? But to make

such a crass statement on her arrival in Australia was an insult to Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova, who have risen to the top of the game in her absence.

They are the new winning breed. They are tall and hit the ball just as hard as the Williams sisters, if not harder. Coming through are Jelena Jankovic, Nicole Vaidisova and Ana Ivanovic, who possess similar firepower and just need a little more experience.

There is so much more depth to the women’s game nowadays. No longer do we disregard the first week of a Grand Slam as a warm-up for the real confrontations that are to come.

I still don’t expect too many upsets before the quarter-finals, but neither do I expect Serena Williams, currently the world’s 81st-ranked player, with eight Americans above her in the rankings, to be in the mix at the sharp end of the tournament.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article1292868.ece

Hope he saw her win! grin cheesy
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by osegwu(m): 11:24am On Apr 02, 2007
Serena is back with a bang.

Watch her out and you will be

convinced.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2007
@osegwu

imagine that article??
some pple said she is overweight and all!
nutin spoil sha after all, they said d same thing about roland and d guy is still scoring goals!
go serena!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by ricadelide(m): 6:49pm On Apr 02, 2007
wow, thanks for posting this.

@ Viee; who wrote that article? it seems the person used to be a former tennis player.

What it brings to mind is the perennial fact that cynics, through time immemorial, have never been worth listening to. They can never see beyond their noses, and all their thoughts is always in the negative.

Thank God serena did not let people like that deter her from reaching for her goal. She is a true champion, like she showed on Saturday, comin back from a 0-6 first set loss to defeat another world number 1 player, Henin, in three sets.

Yeah, women's tennis is interesting again and i cant wait for her to reclaim the world number one spot, it was made for her. Go Serena!!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 6:52pm On Apr 02, 2007
Yeah am so so happy she won.Women's Tennis is back now.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 02, 2007
The article was written by Pat Cash, an australian who won Wimbledon 1987 by a stroke of good fortune.
Thank God he is now forced to eat humble pie.

such a crass statement on her arrival in Australia was an insult to Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova, who have risen to the top of the game in her absence.

They are the new winning breed. They are tall and hit the ball just as hard as the Williams sisters, if not harder. Coming through are Jelena Jankovic, Nicole Vaidisova and Ana Ivanovic, who possess similar firepower and just need a little more experience.

I think the greater insult to Maria Sharapova is to be summarily flogged 6-1 6-1 twice in a row!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2007
Was she flogged by Willams?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by profade1(m): 7:29am On Apr 03, 2007
She was. twice in a row. Same with cans , Federer. Though watching Canas play, I have a feeling he's still on steroids.

Anyway I am happy he clubbed Federer twice, that will show the other players that Federer is just human. And I am also happy Djokovic beat Canas, before people start feeling Canas is a cyborg or something.

The tennis world is definitely getting interesting. Now if only Blake can stop spoiling my day, and starts to win matches again!!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by profade1(m): 7:32am On Apr 03, 2007
That should be Canas instead of Cans. And I think the topic should be changed to the tennis world is getting interesting again!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 8:48am On Apr 03, 2007
I think the greater insult to Maria Sharapova is to be summarily flogged 6-1 6-1 twice in a row!
[quote][/quote]

cheesy
men , u took that line out of my mouth! i always wonder why people feel that life a like mathematics!
we can't say that because it didnt work for one person means that it wont work for another.

yes, Pat Cash wrote that article and did you also know that in his days pete sampras constantly flogged him. tongue

by the way serena just won another award;
Laureus prize; Comeback of the Year -Serena Williams, United States, tennis

i hope Pat Cash walked her to the stage cheesy grin grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 8:54am On Apr 03, 2007
prof ade:

Though watching Canas play, I have a feeling he's still on steroids.

i have the same feeling but read the article below, it seems we are the only ones who think so

Argentina's Guillermo Canas will have the 15-month suspension he served for a doping violation reviewed.
Canas was banned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) for taking a banned diuretic in 2005 and returned to action in September.

But he has successfully appealed to the Swiss Federal Tribunal, which has jurisdiction over appeals.

The three-member Cas panel that first heard the case is expected to reconvene in the next couple of months.

"We have received information from the Swiss Federal Tribunal that it has decided to annul the Cas award," said Matthieu Reeb, general secretary for Cas.

"We assume we will have to review the award in accordance with the directions provided by the Federal Tribunal.

"We could confirm the initial sanction, we could reduce it or declare that the athlete is not guilty of a doping offence."

Last May, Canas had the original two-year ban cut on appeal after Cas agreed he had not knowingly taken a banned diuretic when he was given medicine by staff at the Mexican Open in February 2005.

Canas has denied ever knowingly ingesting a banned substance.

The 29-year-old has been in excellent form recently, beating Roger Federer twice in succession and reaching Sunday's Masters Series final in Miami.

He was ranked 143rd at the start of the year but has climbed to 29 in the world.

i don't know what to make of that because no sportsman ever accepts doping.it is always a mistake.
if they should go ahead to say he is not guilty, i don't know if that is good news for tennis cry cry cry
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 10:29am On Apr 03, 2007
still talking about the Laureus World Sports Awards

Tennis star Roger Federer has become the first athlete to be named Sportsman of the Year at the Laureus World Sports Awards for the third time.
Federer beat golfer Tiger Woods and retired Formula One driver Michael Schumacher to the prize.

great for roger!

Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Yusufadeto(m): 12:49pm On Apr 03, 2007
I think it's both sisters that makes a great come back, am so happy for them and hope they will keep there present and make it to there former positions.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 6:58am On Apr 04, 2007
Yeah i tink so too.

Wow i like Blake too.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by profade1(m): 7:26am On Apr 04, 2007
Hi viee,

As the article rightly pointed out no athlete will ever admit knowingly taking steroids. But come what may, things are really getting interesting.

I doubt if Federer will be so dominant this year, though he will still end up as number one. Was it just me or were there tears in his eyes after he lost to Canas at miami?

Poor guy, his aura of invincibility is cracking. I still like him anyway and hope he does well. I have a feeling Sharapova will need psychological counselling to function well for the rest of the season; all thanks to Serena.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 8:59am On Apr 04, 2007
Sharapova shld rest abeg.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 12:03pm On Apr 04, 2007
ya, i think the guy actually allowed tears to xscape alittle cry
but then we cant really say whether other players r catchn up or not, nadal and nalbadian use to have a special number for our man roger until he was able to find a way to beat them.
all top players at one time or the oda do have boogeyman tailing them!
lets see what happens on clay, nadal of course is the king of clay, wonda if he can still keep that form
he always disappoint when u xpect lots frm him.
ya!tennis in intresting again to me jo! grin grin grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2007
@9ja,

sharapova brings a lot of flair to tennis, i mean d gurl isnt bad looking at all so even when she is not playn well, u can still look at somtin else cheesy
trust me, she brings a lot of pple to the stands not jus for tennis grin
she does play great tennis dou, No 1/2 no b yam oooooooo grin grin grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 7:28am On Apr 05, 2007
viee:

@Nigeria,

sharapova brings a lot of flair to tennis, i mean d girl isnt bad looking at all so even when she is not playn well, u can still look at somtin else cheesy
trust me, she brings a lot of people to the stands not jus for tennis grin
she does play great tennis dou, No 1/2 no b yam oooooooo grin grin grin

Yu right.One of d Willams sisters did say she gat great legs.She cld also model on d court if shes nt playing.Shes a great player though.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 7:43am On Apr 05, 2007
@Topic, yeah women's tennis got boring after the Williams kindda faded but thank goodness Serena kicked it up and brought back the life to women's tennis. She should keep flogging them and remain in her rightful place grin ok so am not big on women's tennis just the williams' sisters

Congrats to Federer kiss kiss Men's tennis has always been interesting to me even if Federer keeps winning (so am biased, so shoot me) but all these up and coming players are making things more juicy, now Federer has to prove why he remained number 1 for long. Nothing like a lil struggle coupled with down moments to keep you on your toes or not! grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 8:13am On Apr 05, 2007
Former world number one Venus Williams came back to beat fourth seed Patty Schnyder in the second round of the Bausch & Lomb Championships in Florida.
Williams, playing just her third tournament of the year after struggling with a wrist injury, won 3-6 6-3 6-4.

The 26-year-old was a break down in the final set before fighting back to take her record against Schnyder to 9-0.

The unseeded Williams, currently ranked world number 32, will now play fellow American Meilen Tu in the third round.

just to let u all know that Venus Williams is also getn ready for french open.she is yet to meet a'very tough' opposition but so far she is holding on well.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 8:17am On Apr 05, 2007
Oh goodie, the William sisters are on a roll! Congrats to Venus. Hope she keeps fighting. . .onwards to the top! cheesy
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 8:18am On Apr 05, 2007
just wondering, with so many good players around, who will likely end 2007 as female world No 1?
for me i will really love to see serena with her current form taking that, then sharapova, venus, justine, jelena in that order.
but then it is all about gatheing points abi?
good thing is Tennis is intresting again! grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 8:22am On Apr 05, 2007
@ iice
yeah! they r doing just great.
do u know that they give US better representation in women singles than anyother 'US Women' tennis player.
i love them cos they r real fighters
and of course cos they r black shocked
i no b racist ooooo grin cheesy
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 8:24am On Apr 05, 2007
of course im reffering to in recent years,
cant possibly forget jennifer capriat
played great tennis at her time!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 8:27am On Apr 05, 2007
@viee
Yeah, it's because of them i even got interested in womens' tennis. They are more known than most US women tennis players. They really are fighters and i so agree because they are African Americans, i like them even better. (so am biased, so skin me) grin grin Abeg make them remove all these other ones from road shocked grin grin

Hah, aside from the William sisters, Lindsey Davenport is a favorite of mine (but seriously overlooked)
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 9:02am On Apr 05, 2007
[sup][/sup]gives my self a big knock on the head1

how cld i have forgotten davenport?
was No1 for a while, had great come back so many times.
she was good!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 4:40am On Apr 07, 2007
Yeah wheres she too?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 4:44am On Apr 07, 2007
Lindsay Davenport has retired.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 9ja4eva: 4:51am On Apr 07, 2007
HUH.I liked her too.How abt Kim ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Kwese Sports, BON Reach Agreement To Broadcast World Cup To Nigerians Live / Amara Kanu And Her “Healthy Living With Amarakanu" (Photos) / Lewandowski Wins German Player Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.