Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him (31434 Views)

Meet The Man Who Raised His Hands For 45 Years! He Made A Legacy / How Hausa People Raised Alarm After Sighting Fulani Trucks In Cross River. PICS / Henry Chukwuemeka, Taxify Driver Sues Dorcas Shola Fapson For N5M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Legitinfobase(m): 4:27pm On Aug 31, 2018
A homeless American man has sued a couple who raised more $400,000 to help him.
The homeless good Samaritan who gained national fame after the stranded motorist he gave his last $20 to raised more than $400,000 in his name is now suing her and her boyfriend, claiming the couple is committing fraud by taking more than half of the money for themselves.
On Tuesday, attorneys for Johnny Bobbitt Jr. filed the lawsuit in the Superior Court of New Jersey in Burlington County against Kate McClure, 28 and Mark D’Amico, 39.
Last year, Bobbitt, a 35-year-old Marine Corps veteran who was living on the streets of Philadelphia, gave McClure the last of the cash he had panhandled that day after she ran out of gas on Interstate 95, McClure wrote on a GoFundMe fundraiser she created on Nov. 10.
Bobbitt even instructed McClure to get back in her car and lock the doors before returning minutes later with a red gas can, McClure wrote.
At first, McClure showed her gratitude to Bobbitt by providing him with food, clothes and some cash.
Then, more than 14,000 people who were moved by Bobbitt’s generosity and his unlikely friendship with McClure donated over $402,000 to the fundraiser, but Bobbitt is now back on the streets and worried that he may never see the bulk of the money, according to the lawsuit.
Homeless man sues couple who raised $400K to help him lailasnews 1Kate McClure and Johnny Bobbitt reunite for the first time on TV after Bobbitt helped McClure when her car broke down in Philadelphia.
The couple initially provided Bobbitt with “some of the monies contributed” but have declined to provide him with access to the rest, according to the lawsuit.
PHOTO: Johnny Bobbitt received a haircut due to the generosity of Kate McClure, who raised more than $360,000 after Bobbitt helped her on the side of the road.Johnny Bobbitt received a haircut due to the generosity of Kate McClure, who raised more than $360,000 after Bobbitt helped her on the side of the road.
Bobbitt alleges that the couple has spent more than half of the funds raised, treating it like their “personal piggy bank to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford,” his attorneys wrote.
Bobbitt’s drug addiction has relapsed and he is back on the Philadelphia streets panhandling for money after completing two stints in rehab, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week.

https://www.legitinfobase.com.ng/2018/08/homeless-man-sues-couple-who-raised.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by sweetyme001(f): 4:31pm On Aug 31, 2018
Good
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by capatainrambo: 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
jmm
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Shortyy(f): 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
That's how I'll sue MTN if they don't return my money. Bunch of criminals

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by katchagboro(m): 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Felixalex(m): 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2018
Oyinbo and their madness... If Na Nigeria, this wouldn't have happened because, in the first place trying to raise the funds people go ask u

"is he the first to live under bridge?"

Op, e be like say u de cross road when u do this copy and paste, as u press "paste" u hear car horn close to u, u just press "submit" run cross road abi?

40 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Primusinterpares(m): 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2018
Am speechless
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by demondpelumi05: 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2018
am learnin a new lesson
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Taylorwoodchen: 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2018
Hustle is real
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Alwaysmiling(f): 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by SirLakes: 2:05pm On Sep 10, 2018
Shortyy:
That's how I'll sue MTN if they don't return my money. Bunch of criminals

How much dem borrow from you Sef undecided
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Guyman02: 2:05pm On Sep 10, 2018
The man has a point, if you want to help then do it by explaining to the recipient the extent you want to go to raise money using his name and situation.

Collecting money from the public on his behalf and keeping half of it to yourself is fraud, that's what many so called NGOs who parade sick people on the roads in Nigeria do and then they dump the victims when they have successfully raised good sums and also if the victim informs them that that was not the initial agreement.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by nabegibeg: 2:06pm On Sep 10, 2018
Legitinfobase:
A homeless American man has sued a couple who raised more $400,000 to help him.
The homeless good Samaritan who gained national fame after the stranded motorist he gave his last $20 to raised more than $400,000 in his name is now suing her and her boyfriend, claiming the couple is committing fraud by taking more than half of the money for themselves.
On Tuesday, attorneys for Johnny Bobbitt Jr. filed the lawsuit in the Superior Court of New Jersey in Burlington County against Kate McClure, 28 and Mark D’Amico, 39.
Last year, Bobbitt, a 35-year-old Marine Corps veteran who was living on the streets of Philadelphia, gave McClure the last of the cash he had panhandled that day after she ran out of gas on Interstate 95, McClure wrote on a GoFundMe fundraiser she created on Nov. 10.
Bobbitt even instructed McClure to get back in her car and lock the doors before returning minutes later with a red gas can, McClure wrote.
At first, McClure showed her gratitude to Bobbitt by providing him with food, clothes and some cash.
Then, more than 14,000 people who were moved by Bobbitt’s generosity and his unlikely friendship with McClure donated over $402,000 to the fundraiser, but Bobbitt is now back on the streets and worried that he may never see the bulk of the money, according to the lawsuit.
Homeless man sues couple who raised $400K to help him lailasnews 1Kate McClure and Johnny Bobbitt reunite for the first time on TV after Bobbitt helped McClure when her car broke down in Philadelphia.
The couple initially provided Bobbitt with “some of the monies contributed” but have declined to provide him with access to the rest, according to the lawsuit.
PHOTO: Johnny Bobbitt received a haircut due to the generosity of Kate McClure, who raised more than $360,000 after Bobbitt helped her on the side of the road.Johnny Bobbitt received a haircut due to the generosity of Kate McClure, who raised more than $360,000 after Bobbitt helped her on the side of the road.
Bobbitt alleges that the couple has spent more than half of the funds raised, treating it like their “personal piggy bank to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford,” his attorneys wrote.
Bobbitt’s drug addiction has relapsed and he is back on the Philadelphia streets panhandling for money after completing two stints in rehab, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week.

https://www.legitinfobase.com.ng/2018/08/homeless-man-sues-couple-who-raised.html

see another level of scamming

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by undisputedgbola(m): 2:06pm On Sep 10, 2018
Who else doesn't understand the story? undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Shortyy(f): 2:07pm On Sep 10, 2018
SirLakes:

How much dem borrow from you Sef undecided

I recharged through bank, I was debited but not credited.

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Dreyl(m): 2:07pm On Sep 10, 2018
Nawa
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by gazilion: 2:09pm On Sep 10, 2018

You reduced yourselves to a lesser being than the man you were trying to help when you defrauded him of his charity! Living big on a homeless man's sorrows & sufferings while pretending to help him is worse than yahoo-yahoo and money rituals. The consequence will ripple both now or in the future

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
Fvcking Fraudsters.I Have Been Following D Story From Day 1.The Couple Have 2 Unavoidable Choices,namely;cough Out D Dough Or Get Ready 4 Ur Orange Jumpsuits.

5 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by incometeacher: 2:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
This is crazy. People now take advantage of peoples situation to raise funds.

You wanna make some extra bucks? Start selling and promoting courses. DM me
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Mielekcezylil(m): 2:09pm On Sep 10, 2018
undisputedgbola:
Who else doesn't understand the story? undecided
i just dey read am 10x it nt clear atall

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Weaponx: 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
grin
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by abbey621(m): 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
Greed, the natural instinct of most humans and not suprising to me, it is a white person! How sick or messed up do you have to be to hijack donations meant to better the life of someone where life itself has already knocked down multiple times? DAMN angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by pansophist(m): 2:14pm On Sep 10, 2018
Good
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Dicksonpal: 2:16pm On Sep 10, 2018
Shortyy:

I recharged through bank, I was debited but not credited.
write a mail to your banks customer care
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Asquare84(m): 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2018
i thought the street of america is slosh with gold, truly there is no place like home

6 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Mizwisdom(f): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
An American citizen, homeless in his own country? I don't believe it

Need books? contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by Shortyy(f): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
Dicksonpal:
write a mail to your banks customer care

I don't know their email address
Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by olawonder(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
Homeless man can never win this! How did he spend half of the money that was given to him? He got greedy! Everywhere in the world, charities raise money, give some to the needies and keep rest for themselves to pay salaries, fixtures and maintain platforms on which monies were raised. The fact that he was back on the streets after receiving half (approx. 200k) won’t impress the court at all!

5 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Sues Couple Who Raised $400,000 To Help Him by QuickStandard: 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2018
I think I should do same to both paga and my bank "first bank".

On the 18th of last month " August " paga debited me 3k without paying, saying I should go to my bank for complaints which I did. Now my bank never object to the issue but obliged and gave me a form to fill, which I did, only for them to send me a mail that the issue was resolved. I checked but no money was reversed. I called their customer care and they said I should give them 10 more working days, and till now nothing has been done.

Now on the 7th of this month again, the same paga debited me 4000# without paying, I logged the complaint again and nothing has been done.

Now my 7k is hanging between paga and first bank.

Please lawyers in the house, is it wise to take a legal step as regards this situation

Please help.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tree Falls On Kofo Abayomi Road Due To Heavy Rain Fall (photos) / Car Bursts Into Flames On 3rd Mainland Bridge (photo) / Opinion Poll- How Regular Is The Power Supply In Your Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.