Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (53946 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:36pm On Jul 19, 2010
@e-resource
Great, you are welcome to the team. If you browse through the pages, you will see that we have chosen a storyline but have not really developed it. We have also chosen to use ogre3d graphics engine, at this point, we are trying to learn the SDK. We would like to get the software @ http://www.ogre3d.org After the download and successful installation, please proceed to the wiki for the tutorials. Thanks

@Don
No problem, i too believe you will be needed most in graphics. Nice!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by jerryomega(m): 5:57pm On Jul 22, 2010
I am so much interested if the distance is not the barrier, because I am currently in Ile-Ife, Osun State.
Here are my STATISTICS!!!

Name: Layade Jeremiah Omotoso
Email: care4jerry@gmail.com or care4jerry@yahoo.com
Phone: 07035334674
Skills: JAVA (Intermediate);
Macromedia Flash with ActionScript (Intermediate)
Photoshop (Basic),
CorelDraw (Intermediate)
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 11:53pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi Jerry, welcome to the team! feel free to contribute anytime.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by olasquare: 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2010
Name: Shoyemi Olanrewaju
Phone: 08027566682, 07028090052
Skill: idealist, beginner in programming, corel(basic)

I love this idea of game development as I already have one idea on my laptop, this just happen to be wot I was luking for, waiting for call on the meeting zone.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 7:23pm On Jul 28, 2010
Hi guys. Finally added a walk cycle to my crappy model but I'm having trouble exporting to Ogre. I'll check the wiki later. I tested it on unity, it has some problems but is still good enough for cheap prototyping.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 10:48am On Jul 30, 2010
@GameAddict, pls where are you doing all this stuff? because the ogre of a thing refused to work on my system. I was on compulsory vacation from the forum due to my network(am tired of the network already)
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 6:16pm On Jul 30, 2010
@ Bigstar: whats up? Ogre has been taking me for a ride also. It's mainly due to the fact that we're using a new version and the documentations have not yet been updated. I also take short breaks from it when it gets too frustrating and switch to unity or UDK. You should check them out. I even forgot to download download CEGUI which I've done now.

What are the errors you're getting? I think I manually added it to my environment variables on windows before it worked. You could register on their forum and ask for help if you get the chance. You should also consider the version of visual studio you're using amongst other things. One more thing to note is that problems may arise because of your antivirus! Try switching the antivirus off. I only had the antivirus problem while running on release mode in visual studio but who knows?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by ayo84(m): 7:24pm On Jul 30, 2010
i have a suggestion, why dont we start with something simple like facebook mafia wars, lets do a game like that,mafia wars,farmville or something,its kind of easier, and we can use the same model zynga games uses to make money
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:11pm On Jul 30, 2010
That's a good idea but we're actually aiming for 3d games here. Although some 3d games can be embedded into web pages via plugins and web players like those of unity 3d, I don't think facebook supports that right now but if anyone wants to do a flash game, I'd be willing to help although I have no experience with flash or actionscript in terms of programming.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 9:40am On Jul 31, 2010
@Everyone

Hello, its been a while, i have been so busy with a web project that i had to go away complusorily. I have been learning ogre though, i must add that the engine has pretty steep learning curve.

After careful thought, i have come to realise that we cannot just get into the actual game development without learning an engine properly, we need to be able to do stuffs personally with an engine before we set out to make a real game.

I will sugggest we continue to learn, practice with any game engine out there, do individual demos before we begin talks on an actual game.

While learning, i will like to say that i agree with ayo on creating a game like mafia wars, we can embark on a browser based game like that which will be simpler. This kind of game is ideal for everyone, since we all know html,javascript,php or photoshop for graphics. We can also extend the browser game to social networks and as ayo as said, monetize it, we can even make nigerian themed games if we like.

While doing this, we can still continue to build our 3d knowledge.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:07am On Jul 31, 2010
Hi worldbest, You're right about ogre's learning curve and it's even worse that there's only one published book on it which turns out to be for pros. I'll continue to practice it anyways cuz it's a good engine. That said, we could still make simple games with ready made engines that only require programming only stuff we really need. Unity 3d and shiva are good choices but I haven't tried shiva out myself. I'm currently making a multiplayer shooter with unity but I've been delayed much by my modeling and animation(My walkcycle is too funny, people will be laughing instead of shooting, lol) as well as some networking troubles. I'll post updates on it though. Regarding the flash games, those are cool too. I'll look uo some tutorials on flash and actionscript later. Regarding the original project, I think we should still do whatever part we're able to do and bring everything together later. Wishing you well on your web project, what is it about? Do you have any knowledge of the ZEND framework? Is it advisable to use MVCs instead of plain PHP and header includes but I'm guessing it depends on the size of the task at hand.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:37pm On Jul 31, 2010
@GA

Nice to know you are doing something already. I dont use zend or any framework/template system, i just prefer to right my own little framework/library to handle my project, its a really large project,one that invovles networking but not centered around connecting with friends. Currently, i am having a hard time with Ajax errors which are difficult to spot, i will continue to learn ogre or some other engine once i sort the errors out.

What 3D graphics software do you model with? I certain would like to know how to model.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by ikegil: 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2010
Thats true i have tried it twice
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:55am On Aug 01, 2010
@ world best: I'm using blender for models and gimp for textures.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Maximip(m): 11:01pm On Aug 01, 2010
@Gameaddict,Worldbest,

Every project has a time schedule. I suggest you should draw one up for this project so you can measure progress and ensure the
project gets completed.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:29am On Aug 02, 2010
@ maximip: Good idea. I think a schedule will be helpful for this project. We should set milestones like finishing characters, starting level creation, etc.

@ worldbest: I'm wondering if we should still continue using ogre for this project. It has high requirements on the part of the user and we've all been having problems with it especially since it's a new version. It seems like ogre requires much time, dedication and experimentation before one can beginto manipulate it easily. Our numbers grown and shrunk since the thread was opened but not much has been done. I think we should rethink the project tools and I'm thinking a game engine like unity 3d should be considered as it removes some of the complications that are present. It also makes development easier and faster. The programming is also easy to learn.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 3:39pm On Aug 02, 2010
ahh, like the unity engine already, the screenies and level editor are pretty cool. i will download it once i have no problem with my internet. i like it. Good find GA
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ world best: It's a cool engine. I'm currently trying to get my scales and measurements correctly in blender cuz I'm having to resize a lot in unity. I'm also trying to make some cartoonish models for the multiplayer game but still don't know how I'll get the effects correctly in unity.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 5:47pm On Aug 02, 2010
cool. i cant wait ti try it
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 6:25pm On Aug 05, 2010
Still experimenting,  I rushed up the textures for a small neighborhood environment I made which turned out badly  tongue The main problem on the project has now become that of models and textures!!!! @ world best, hope you're checking out the engine.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AZeD1(m): 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2010
Hope its not too late to join the team
Name: A-zed
Email: *********
Phone: 08057844530
Skills: vb.net(intermidiate)
python(intermidiate)
php(beginner)
adobe flash(working knowledge)
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:13am On Aug 06, 2010
Hi A-ZeD, welcome to the team. Feel free to contribute.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 3:21pm On Aug 07, 2010
My modeling still sucks,

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by d4onyeka(m): 7:11pm On Aug 07, 2010
nice guys, I think I can help, I love guys like u who wants to start something new!!!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 7:48pm On Aug 07, 2010
@ d4nyeka: welcome to the team. What areas are you good at?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:06pm On Aug 08, 2010
I'll cut off his head later  grin It just increases the poly count and I still missed the details. On to rigging.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:34am On Aug 11, 2010
You guys still on? check out unity3d, For now, we really, really need an artist. My walk cycle turned out funny. Did not check the waist while I was animating! It swings like a girl's! oh the horror!!! embarassed
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:57am On Aug 11, 2010
wow!!! You can actually upload 3d games made with unity 3d on facebook! Check this out :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMaTG1gg0VQ
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:17am On Aug 13, 2010
Lonely thread,  Well, 

MODELING:
I've decided to model assets some assets and environments for the time being but I'm really disappointed with my current character animation. Still can't get the walk cycle right. I'll try working on the protagonist's model later. I'll have to try using a modular structure for the buildings and related stuffs,  In case any one is also working, I noticed a problem with normals in unity and blender so it's difficult to do certain things with planes because of this. I use cubes and cylinders instead and always turn off double sided in blender so I can quickly flip normals when they appear.

PROGRAMMING:
I tested some scripts from the example projects on unity's website but it's going to take some digging and experimentation not to mention time, to understand the parts since there's no tutorials accompanying them. I'll stick to the main tutorials for now and try modifying the parts. I succeeded in scripting additive animation for my test model so he can walk, walk + armed and walk + shoot at the same time. I'll try out the camera system later to see what I can get. I'm currently using the wow cam I found in the forum.

Modeling and animation seems the major problem now and all the artists are no where to be found! Anyways,  I found some free bvh files but I don't know how I'm supposed to add other actions after implementing the bvh using my own bone rather than the bvh's armature.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 12:48am On Aug 13, 2010
@GA: wow, you are really trying. I dont have a copy of the unity sdk yet and that is bcus of my failed internet modem. But i will get it before sunday. I think you should 4get about modelling for now, just use sample models as placeholders. If you have to model, focus your energy on structures like houses then design the interiors with free models.

I cant wait 2 join u in exploring unity.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 11:24am On Aug 13, 2010
ok. I'm trying to get some free models from the blender repository but my internet connection is slow sometimes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.