Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose (679 Views)

How Did You Discover Your Purpose? / How To Discover Your Purpose In Life / How To Discover Your Purpose In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose by sk8erBoy: 9:38pm On Sep 03, 2018
“What is my purpose in life?”

This is probably one of the most asked questions in the journey of self discovery.

Everyone is born with this question hanging over them and some never find out the answer sadly. It does not matter what your age is, it is never too late to discover what your purpose in life is. For some, purpose is easily identified and for others it may take a number of years and failed attempts before they find the elusive answer.

I believe purpose is a journey and not a destination. Also, what you enjoy doing is an indication of your purpose. Your purpose is the why to what you enjoy doing.

The answer to this question lies at the centre of one’s life. If identified, everything else will align.

Our friends, career or business choices, hobbies, social life etc are all linked to the answers to this questions. Rick Warren’s book, “The Purpose Driven Life”, posits that when you discover your purpose you become focussed on what matters spending less time on distractions – Your life becomes more productive. (I would strongly recommend this book if you have not read it).

In his book, Understanding the Purpose and Power of a Woman, Myles Munroe of blessed memory said “When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable”.

In addition to focus and productivity, discovering and understanding your purpose also brings great joy. You begin to enjoy your life as you spend more time doing what you love doing and embrace your uniqueness.

In a previous post, How to identify what you are good at, I identified passion as one major indicators of purpose. I would like to add 3 questions you should ask yourself (and others) which can help anyone identify their purpose.

1.What can I do with minimal preparation?
This refers to something that comes naturally to you. Something, such as a task or activity, which when called upon you can do without spending hours, days or months in preparation.

For example, I love to teach people. I am able to teach or speak about topics which I have prior knowledge of with minimal preparation. As a matter of fact if I am woken up from sleep suddenly and asked to teach on a topic I know something about, I am able to deliver with reasonable impact. I can’t boast of such ease with other activities such as say singing.

In the example above, I can identify that I have a purpose to positively impart the lives of others which is expressed by teaching others.

2. What do people find most intriguing about me? (What do others keep coming back to me for?)

This is an indirect indication that others have identified what you are great at doing and this is linked to your purpose. This may be related to soft skills like guidance and counselling, confidence, encouragement etc.

I recently requested feedback from friends and family by asking a simple question, “In one word, how would you describe me?” and the answers were very informative!

3. What do you do and time passes by without you realising?

Please don’t say ‘watching TV’ or ‘sleeping’ or ‘playing games on Xbox’.

This simply means you are enjoying what you are doing and you are having fun doing it. It means it is easy and comes naturally to you. They are indications to what your purpose is.

Lets see some examples.

I enjoy being a parent. My purpose is caring for others.

I enjoy fighting the cause of the less privileged. My purpose is to fight social injustice.

I enjoy Photography. My purpose is to discover the beauty in nature and share this gift with the world.

I enjoy feeding the poor and taking care of the homeless. My purpose is to alleviate the impact of poverty.

I enjoy teaching and writing. My purpose is to educate, inspire and motivate others.

Conclusion

Understanding our purpose is a key which unlocks our unlimited potentials. It brings happiness and fulfilment in life. It is never too early or too late to discover purpose. Have you identified what your purpose is? Can you commit to spending time to discovering your purpose? I would really love to hear your thoughts and help anyone who needs help in discovering their purpose.

www.myorchardbythestream.com

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose by Ebi4life: 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2018
sk8erBoy:

This is probably one of the most asked questions in the journey of self discovery.

Everyone is born with this question hanging over them and some never find out the answer sadly. It does not matter what your age is, it is never too late to discover what your purpose in life is. For some, purpose is easily identified and for others it may take a number of years and failed attempts before they find the elusive answer.

I believe purpose is a journey and not a destination. Also, what you enjoy doing is an indication of your purpose. Your purpose is the why to what you enjoy doing.

The answer to this question lies at the centre of one’s life. If identified, everything else will align.

Our friends, career or business choices, hobbies, social life etc are all linked to the answers to this questions. Rick Warren’s book, “The Purpose Driven Life”, posits that when you discover your purpose you become focussed on what matters spending less time on distractions – Your life becomes more productive. (I would strongly recommend this book if you have not read it).

In his book, Understanding the Purpose and Power of a Woman, Myles Munroe of blessed memory said “When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable”.

In addition to focus and productivity, discovering and understanding your purpose also brings great joy. You begin to enjoy your life as you spend more time doing what you love doing and embrace your uniqueness.

In a previous post, How to identify what you are good at, I identified passion as one major indicators of purpose. I would like to add 3 questions you should ask yourself (and others) which can help anyone identify their purpose.

This refers to something that comes naturally to you. Something, such as a task or activity, which when called upon you can do without spending hours, days or months in preparation.

For example, I love to teach people. I am able to teach or speak about topics which I have prior knowledge of with minimal preparation. As a matter of fact if I am woken up from sleep suddenly and asked to teach on a topic I know something about, I am able to deliver with reasonable impact. I can’t boast of such ease with other activities such as say singing.

In the example above, I can identify that I have a purpose to positively impart the lives of others which is expressed by teaching others.

2. What do people find most intriguing about me? (What do others keep coming back to me for?)

This is an indirect indication that others have identified what you are great at doing and this is linked to your purpose. This may be related to soft skills like guidance and counselling, confidence, encouragement etc.

I recently requested feedback from friends and family by asking a simple question, “In one word, how would you describe me?” and the answers were very informative!

This simply means you are enjoying what you are doing and you are having fun doing it. It means it is easy and comes naturally to you. They are indications to what your purpose is.

Lets see some examples.

I enjoy fighting the cause of the less privileged. My purpose is to fight social injustice.

I enjoy Photography. My purpose is to discover the beauty in nature and share this gift with the world.

I enjoy feeding the poor and taking care of the homeless. My purpose is to alleviate the impact of poverty.

I enjoy teaching and writing. My purpose is to educate, inspire and motivate others.

Conclusion

Understanding our purpose is a key which unlocks our unlimited potentials. It brings happiness and fulfilment in life. It is never too early or too late to discover purpose. Have you identified what your purpose is? Can you commit to spending time to discovering your purpose? I would really love to hear your thoughts and help anyone who needs help in discovering their purpose.

I discover I can teach in my church sunday school easily and people are really captivated with little or no preparation. Also I am always happy teaching people what they don't know about. I need ur advice.

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose by woodfrank(m): 7:16am On Sep 26, 2018
sk8erBoy:

Lets see some examples.

Conclusion

My brother, I need your help. Please pm me your email. Thank you
Re: 3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose by sk8erBoy: 11:02am On Sep 26, 2018
Ebi4life:
I discover I can teach in my church sunday school easily and people are really captivated with little or no preparation. Also I am always happy teaching people what they don't know about. I need ur advice.

Hi, I am happy to help. Please use this link to contact me: https://myorchardbythestream.com/contact/
Re: 3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose by sk8erBoy: 11:03am On Sep 26, 2018
woodfrank:

My brother, I need your help. Please pm me your email. Thank you

Hi, I am happy to help. Please use this link to contact me: https://myorchardbythestream.com/contact/
Re: 3 Ways To Discover Your Purpose by CodeTemplar: 1:01pm On Sep 26, 2018
To properly deal with purpose one must acknowledge the existence of a maker - God.
Every thing in the physical realm has a maker and that maker determines the purpose of the entity made.
Without God in the equation, our purpose will be close to those of lower animals and will center around physical growth and experience.
I think this topic will be better discussed as a religiously inclined one.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Job Opportunity / Hrmadam Consulting Recruitment 2018 | Apply Now Before Deadline / Medical Degree Or Accounting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.