Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,382 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates (3014 Views)

Saraki Seeks To Stall Trial Again, Asks Judge To Disqualify Self / Jonathan Procured A Judgement To Disqualify Buhari - Press Statement From APC / Suit Seeking To Disqualify Buhari Adjourned To Wednesday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by twinstaiye(m): 10:33am On Apr 03, 2007
This is a breaking news, A Federal High Court Abuja has just ruled this morning that INEC has power to disqualify candidates in the forthcoming election. The Court also rule that INEC has power to screen and declare a candidate unfit for the election. The report was monitored on Raypower a minutes ago. Let us keep the full gist coming in.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Afam(m): 11:07am On Apr 03, 2007
How can you ask a body to supervise an election and yet maintain it does not have the power to disqualify the players? Common sense is coming back and we thank God for that.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by omon(m): 11:16am On Apr 03, 2007
Good News!!!
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by IykeD1(m): 11:22am On Apr 03, 2007
End of the road for Atiku!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by McKren(m): 11:27am On Apr 03, 2007
Am just waiting to see how long the whole media institutions and some judges will keep on lieing against the Nigerian State and its constitution merely because they dislike the President.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Topsido(m): 11:28am On Apr 03, 2007
God is God
Good news and a victory for commonsense.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by McKren(m): 11:33am On Apr 03, 2007
watch out you wont see

[size=16pt]"INEC FLOORS ATIKU" [/size]

in the media
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by viee(f): 11:34am On Apr 03, 2007
y am i not excited? cry

Afam:

How can you ask a body to supervise an election and yet maintain it does not have the power to disqualify the players? Common sense is coming back and we thank God for that.

while i subscribe to checks and balances, i dnt also advocate giving  the rat a piece of fish for safe keeping.
it obvious, INEC is baba's baby and nutin more!

besides since the federal government appoints the boss of INEC, i dnt think is is proper for INEC to be given the power 2 disqalify candidates given our peculiair environment.

who b federal govt sef? no b obj mak up house of rep, senate even PDP sef.
what r we den saying?
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by McKren(m): 11:37am On Apr 03, 2007
@ Viee

Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by viee(f): 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2007
@mckren

i cant rejoice with u guys sori!
i luv naija no doubt but really, it appears everi damn tin is 4 obj
i mean, xcuse the hell out of me, but hv u had d misfortune of listening to their campaign?
its obj all the way!
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Razorr(f): 12:09pm On Apr 03, 2007
Spot On Viee. . . Spot On!
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by azorjiu(m): 12:33pm On Apr 03, 2007
Atiku never qualified for election ab initio.

I now wait for his men who say "no atiku, no election" to come on board.

His earlier victory has amounted to nullity.

INEC has the power to disqualify and Atiku stands disqualified.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by azorjiu(m): 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2007
Apparently, Iwu knows the law more than the judge who ruled in favour of Atiku.
A higher court has corroborated his stance.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by McKren(m): 12:47pm On Apr 03, 2007
@Viee

You have every right to detest this President and I cant take that away from you, but the point is the constitution should be adhered to whether it favours atiku or Obj.
If this judgement went the other way round I am sure your numerous post would have contained "it is victory for democracy".
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by IykeD1(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2007
What is it, you Atiku supporters don't love the Judiciary any more?

How can you have a body (INEC) that is suppose to conduct elections
and yet not have the ability to screen candidates? What is the meaning
of [b]screening [/b]if you don't have certain eligibility requirements you are
vetting against?

Like INEC said, its not its problem that the VP was indicted. Its job is to
follow the constitution which says that indicted persons are not eligible
to run, its not their headache whether such indictment was politically
motivated or not. Case closed.

It appears once again, that after all the chest beating and noise making
buoyed by our hungry media, Obasanjo is still at the top of his game. I
have asked the question before, who the hell is Atiku? Just because he
happens to be the most wealthy "civil servant" doesn't change the fact
that he is toying with the man that has been opportuned to govern a
hard country like Nigeria twice (for good or bad) and thus have been at
the game far longer than Atiku can even imagine. You can't spit at your
boss and expect a promotion!

Now, watch the AC combust!!!!!!!!!
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by twinstaiye(m): 1:00pm On Apr 03, 2007
More link to the above story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6521615.stm

A Nigerian appeal court has ruled that Nigeria's electoral commission can bar candidates who are not qualified to stand for elections.

Correspondents say it is a blow to Vice-President Atiku Abubakar's hope of becoming Nigeria's next president.

Electoral officials have said graft charges against him would have to be dropped for him to be eligible to run.

He became a leading opposition candidate after falling out with former ally President Olusegun Obasanjo.

In a separate case, Mr Abubakar is challenging the decision by the Independent National Electoral Commission (Inec) to omit his name from a list of candidates cleared to run in the poll.

But the BBC's Senan Murray in the capital, Abuja, says that even if this ruling goes in favour of Mr Abubakar, Tuesday's appeal court ruling will carry precedence as it is a higher court.

The appeal court overturned an earlier court ruling which said Inec could not disqualify candidates nominated for the election.

Our correspondent says the appeal court's decision seems to have put an end to Mr Abubakar's ambition to succeed President Obasanjo, who stands down in May.

Mr Abubakar was indicted for graft by a government ministerial panel which investigated corruption in an oil fund.

President Obasanjo is standing down after two terms and Umaru Yar'Adua is standing on behalf of his People's Democratic Party (PDP).

Mr Abubakar, a founding PDP member, defected to the opposition Action Congress (AC) after he fell out with President Obasanjo.

AC is one of the two main opposition parties contesting the election, and continues to hold mass rallies around the country, despite the block to its candidates' presidential ambitions.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by azorjiu(m): 1:34pm On Apr 03, 2007
Could someone please tell me where AC is holding their presidential campaign today? I'd love to participate.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by kitaun(m): 1:54pm On Apr 03, 2007
bloody hell angry angry

so, some fools actually think OBJ is what? shocked embarassed

Atiku may not be credible enough, but is OBJ clean enough to throw spanners in his wheels? undecided
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by joshO: 2:10pm On Apr 03, 2007
[size=8pt]This is great news for democracy. God really loves Nigeria!! I'm so excited by this ruling. This Judge has put this matter to rest once and for all. How can an organization be empowered to screen, yet cannot disqualify?

Guys, don't underestimate what good this will do to our great country. Atiku is a desperate
opportunist.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by MT: 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2007
Atiku is a good riddance to bad rubbish, End of the Road (Boyz 2 men, sing on plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) grin
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by viee(f): 2:17pm On Apr 03, 2007
@mckren

o yeah?
fine dear lets talk abt disqualificatio!
was akala not indicted? andy uba? orji uzor kalu(may b he is seen as not being mush of a threat to PDP)?
i can go on and on
dear, it is neva abt obeying the consitution.
lets even talk abt that as well, how many times can we say this govt obeyed court rulings?
how come they suddenly rem that the court is the last resort?
pple were hapi that the oyo state gov regained his seat, im asking how come it happened so fast after the primaries?
pple were saying that atiku is having a good time at the judiciary, im saying, he will lose the most imp one jus before the election

come on now, did u notice how all the third term lawmakers lost the primaries?
my dear , they are all puppets in the hands of obj!
the case is simple;
it is either u succumb or u lose/leave ur job/position.
cry
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by kitaun(m): 2:18pm On Apr 03, 2007
@Viee

leave them jare, they will always try to make OBJ look the saint . . . BOLLOCKS angry
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by viee(f): 2:22pm On Apr 03, 2007
kitaun:

bloody hell angry angry

so, some fools actually think OBJ is what? shocked embarassed

Atiku may not be credible enough, but is OBJ clean enough to throw spanners in his wheels? undecided

help me beg! c wahala ooooooo
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by saintchux(m): 2:41pm On Apr 03, 2007
McKren:

@Viee

You have every right to detest this President and I can't take that away from you, but the point is the constitution should be adhered to whether it favours atiku or Obj.
If this judgement went the other way round I am sure your numerous post would have contained "it is victory for democracy".

Constitution adhered to
I am waiting for Akala case! Indicted by administrative panel, white paper issued? Waiting for Iwu.

Mind u Iwu is an ibo word which means law. We are watching
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by McKren(m): 2:48pm On Apr 03, 2007
I would also love to see Akala disqualified but Ladoja should have done this before the screening.

The section, according to Iwu, clearly states that a person aspiring to that office may be disqualified if: “He has been indicted for embezzlement or fraud by a Judicial Commission of Inquiry or an Administrative Panel of Inquiry or a Tribunal set up under the Tribunals of Inquiry Act, a Tribunals of Inquiry Law or any other law by the Federal Government or State Government which indictment has been accepted by the federal government or state government.”
Iwu further explained that from the spirit and intent of the Constitution, a person presenting himself or herself to the Commission for scrutiny, must have been indicted.
He added: “The Constitution does not say that an aspirant for the office of governor of a state may be disqualified if he will be indicted, but one that has already been indicted before he or she was presented to the Commission by his political for clearance.”
Iwu assured that the Commission would be guided by the Constitution and Electoral Act in the conduct of next month’s elections and advised the Oyo State government to seek redress on the matter at the electoral tribunal that will be constituted after the election.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by olawa20(m): 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2007
like i have heard several times, VICTORY FOR DEMOCRACY!!

I'd 've loved to see how he fares at the polls anyway.

But i'm sure there wont be an end to litigations this way.

I hope some mischievious persons wont obtain an injuction at the last minute to prevent the election from holding like Nzeribe's ABN
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Mariory(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03, 2007
I'm laughing my ass off @ Atiku. So what is the score now? 13-1 to Atiku? Yet like I said before it all counted for nothing cause like we can all see, he loses. Oh joy! grin
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by dungar: 3:44pm On Apr 03, 2007
my message is for those who rejoices with the current news by the high court. u guys are just saying what u wish 2 say, but the truth remains dat by the grace of God ATIKU OR NO ATIKU, OBA-MUMU MUST GO. we will team up with BUHARI"s camp and victory will be ours. so keep saying what u feel like saying all we know is dat BABA-MUMU influenced all dis.
y will inec go 2 court after d 1st ruling dat they can not disqualify.
they have gotten what they want.
and we should all pray 4 peace during dis election
thank u
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by viee(f): 3:46pm On Apr 03, 2007
The section, according to Iwu

gosh i jus love this!
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Mariory(m): 4:02pm On Apr 03, 2007
dungar:

my message is for those who rejoices with the current news by the high court. u guys are just saying what u wish 2 say, but the truth remains that by the grace of God ATIKU OR NO ATIKU, OBA-MUMU MUST GO. we will team up with BUHARI"s camp and victory will be ours. so keep saying what u feel like saying all we know is that BABA-MUMU influenced all this.
y will inec go 2 court after d 1st ruling that they can not disqualify.
they have gotten what they want.
and we should all pray 4 peace during this election
thank u

If you like team up with Osama Bin Laden's camp. That's your business. The point is that fool (ATIKU) will never be president. Pure and Simple.
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Agboola1(m): 4:23pm On Apr 03, 2007
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! this clear case of manipulation, i see ojoro in this, haba baba Iyabo Y now? i do not see why thje electorate are not allowed to decide for themselves. Haba kai! this is not right. if you guys actually follow the story from the begining you will know that this a sudden twist influenced arbitrarily by FG.why will somebody win over seven cases and end up loosing at the tail end. this is a shame on our judiciary that has gained hude glory in the recent past. na wa o. if theres nothing behind it why not allow atiku to run? Atiku running does mean his eventual victory now, Haba! but note that dirty mouth does not say clean thing. i think its a beauty democracy has offered so far. no problem. Be vigilant
Re: Breaking News! - Inec Has Power To Disqualify Candidates by Mariory(m): 4:46pm On Apr 03, 2007
Agboola1:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! this clear case of manipulation, i see ojoro in this, haba baba Iyabo Y now? i do not see why thje electorate are not allowed to decide for themselves. Haba kai! this is not right. if you guys actually follow the story from the begining you will know that this a sudden twist influenced arbitrarily by FG.why will somebody win over seven cases and end up loosing at the tail end. this is a shame on our judiciary that has gained hude glory in the recent past. na wa o. if theres nothing behind it why not allow atiku to run? Atiku running does mean his eventual victory now, Haba! but note that dirty mouth does not say clean thing. i think its a beauty democracy has offered so far. no problem. Be vigilant

What seven cases did he win and how are those cases related to his exclusion by INEC of the list of people contesting? Please post them so we know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okay, Since Everybody Is Crying "Marginalization" In Nigeria. . . . . / Will You Attend Independence Ceremony In Your State? / Picture: The Real Face Of The Man That Made The Anti-muslim Film

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.