Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,038 members, 7,838,598 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title (25823 Views)

Naomi Osaka Beats Jennifer Brady To Win Second Australian Open Title / Bianca Andreescu Defeats Serena Williams To Win 2019 US Open (Photos) / Simona Halep Defeats Serena Williams To Win 2019 Wimbledon (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by kunmiiii: 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2018
unmask:
listen to yourself.....the question is were the decisions wrong or not?

Because what you are fighting for is that she shouldn't have got punished rather than others should get punished when they violate

That shows double standard on your and her part.

The rules are the rules don't cry wolf when it is enforced

And this same Serena has gone on this type on tantrum in other occasion where she wasn't cautioned after the initial caution....and coincidentally in those occasions she was being outclassed

Stop harping on the rules because what is clearly good for the goose is good for the gander, I don't mind her being penalized, but the code violations were a step too far for something so meagre, especially at a grand slam final when fines have usually been the norm.
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by medexico(m): 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
goslowgoslow:

What has being a small girl got to do with sport? Do you know anything about sports at all?

She is just 20, Serena is 36.

If you know sport well, you would know that as you get old, you lose your agility to play.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by medexico(m): 1:13pm On Sep 09, 2018
SoNature:

U shouldn't call someone who made the finals of US Open 'a small girl'

she is 20, so 'small girl'
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by kunmiiii: 1:13pm On Sep 09, 2018
ThanosIsHere:

You guys keep saying "I don't think you watched the match" like you are the only one that can afford dstv, please stop. Now to your point, Serena was the favorite, most of the audience were her fans, she is also very influential which means if she reacts its only natural that her fans will get emotional too. Her throwing tantrums was totally unjustified and consequently triggered an automatic hate for Osaka. She knows this that's why she pacified the crowd to stop. If you noticed even the young lady couldn't even savor the moment of her first grand slam title, rather she was almost apologizing for winning. Osaka was outstanding, even if Serena might have been an imposing personality to her with all the cursing, smashing or racket and shhh, she still broke her on the second set.
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by goslowgoslow(m): 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
medexico:

She is just 20, Serena is 36.

If you know sport well, you would know that as you get old, you lose your agility to play.
That is exactly where I am going and if you know this why did you say she was beaten by a small girl?
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by medexico(m): 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
goslowgoslow:

That is exactly where I am going and if you know this why did you say she was beaten by a small girl?

Is she small or not?
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by kunmiiii: 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
ThanosIsHere:

You guys keep saying "I don't think you watched the match" like you are the only one that can afford dstv, please stop. Now to your point, Serena was the favorite, most of the audience were her fans, she is also very influential which means if she reacts its only natural that her fans will get emotional too. Her throwing tantrums was totally unjustified and consequently triggered an automatic hate for Osaka. She knows this that's why she pacified the crowd to stop. If you noticed even the young lady couldn't even savor the moment of her first grand slam title, rather she was almost apologizing for winning. Osaka was outstanding, even if Serena might have been an imposing personality to her with all the cursing, smashing or racket and shhh, she still broke her on the second set.

Huh, broke who?? Its obvious u don't follow Serena's style of play, She always makes a come back, She lost a set 6-0 in this same US Open and came back to win, You do know she was leading in the second set 3-1 before the violations and emotions totally destabilized her.

I'm not taking the win from Osaka, trust me she was magnificent and it has to be said, I just wish it wasn't marred with so much controversy becos she will always remember her very first grand slam.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Fabulous7(m): 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
nelsonebby:
How can the audience be booing a 20 years old girl?
A very disappointing way to end the tournament.
cry
My brother that's what they call loyalty irrespective of anybody or age
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by bomasek(m): 1:38pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sterope:
Her father could be an absentee father you know.
Also, she does not need her father's permission to choose the nationality she is comfortable with.

From what I read about her online,her Dad wasn't an absentee,he even encouraged the family to adopt his wife's maiden name when they were in Japan . I believe he did that to ensure she gets a good footing/foundation in her mom's country. He was the one that enrolled her in tennis club i guess when the family moved to US

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Maxcollins042(m): 1:48pm On Sep 09, 2018
ChiefOloye:

I'm sure you know she is 36 and already have a baby and 23 grand slam titles, what is there that she hasn't accomplished?

Their is no endpoint of success until you have run out of steam. If she still has it in her then why not get involved in the game?
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by ThanosIsHere: 1:49pm On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:

Huh, broke who?? Its obvious u don't follow Serena's style of play, She always makes a come back, She lost a set 6-0 in this same US Open and came back to win, You do know she was leading in the second set 3-1 before the violations and emotions totally destabilized her.

I'm not taking the win from Osaka, trust me she was magnificent and it has to be said, I just wish it wasn't marred with so much controversy becos she will always remember her very first grand slam.

Here we go again. OK Serena played better, Osaka won by ojoro. Happy now?

3 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Jokerman(m): 1:51pm On Sep 09, 2018
ThanosIsHere:

lol... the excuses IMO!!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Sterope(f): 1:52pm On Sep 09, 2018
What her dad did is commendable. Why did you think you needed to point it out though?

bomasek:
From what I read about her online,her Dad wasn't an absentee,he even encouraged the family to adopt his wife's maiden name when they were in Japan . I believe he did that to ensure she gets a good footing/foundation in her mom's country. He was the one that enrolled her in tennis club i guess when the family moved to US

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Mccullum: 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2018
nelsonebby:
cry
That booing from the crowd was not for the young lady, they were booing the umpire in support for the complain of Serena Williams.
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Mccullum: 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2018
nelsonebby:
cry
That booing from the crowd was not for the young lady, they were booing the umpire in support for the complain of Serena Williams, that's what the statement illustrate.
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by ChiefOloye(m): 2:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
rychard:

Across gender?... Are you really okay..
This is the kind of things people say when they know nothing about tennis...

Keep quayet instead of embarrassing yourself..based on current form of players in WTA (women) Serena is rates 26th and she has zero chance of winning any major tennis tournament till she retires... People need to understand that Serena's time has passed, she lost two finals in a row... Her latest against Osaka (a 20yr old) is the backbreaker. She didn't just lose, she was crushed.

You're just being foolish here, I was only expressing my opinion about my favorite Tennis player and because I share a cyberspace with you then demonstrated that you are from a home where basic home training is largely lacking.

Omoalailekole jatijati.

Talking about Serena Williams, I'm sure you're not yet given birth to when she made her debut and you can google her contemporaries in early 2000s and where they are today and those who met her in the trade and her no where to be found, then you can talk disparage her, Oloripelebe.
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by bomasek(m): 2:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sterope:
What her dad did is commendable. Why did you think you needed to point it out though?

I just sensed a complex in his decision though it paid off
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by bomasek(m): 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
ChiefOloye:

You're just being foolish here, I was only expressing my opinion about my favorite Tennis player and because I share a cyberspace with you then demonstrated that you are from a home where basic home training is largely lacking.

Omoalailekole jatijati.

Talking about Serena Williams, I'm sure you're not yet given birth to when she made her debut and you can google her contemporaries in early 2000s and where they are today and those who met her in the trade and her no where to be found, then you can talk disparage her, Oloripelebe.
Serena made Martina Hingis resign early grin
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by ochuciano(m): 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
bomasek:
Girl is from Haiti not Japan, I wonder why her dad allowed her to adopt her mom's nationality and maiden name

Thank you my brother, I was wondering y the creator of the thread ignore that fact.
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by kunmiiii: 2:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
ThanosIsHere:

Why in the world would that make me happy? Stop condescending abeg, its an ugly look to veil ignorance. I'm happy and contended Naomi won, she also deserved it...The social injustice was just vile and repellant which I abhor with every fiber of my being HUMAN!!
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by ochuciano(m): 2:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
SarcasticGenius:

Because Haiti is a shithole where her career would have been dead on arrival, while Japan gave her everything she needed to flourish.

She grew up in America, Japan did not give her anything. Checks ur fact correctly
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by ochuciano(m): 2:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
flyca:
Please is this Osaka lady an African?
I'm asking because she looks sooooo Africa, not that I'm trying to attribute her winning to Africa o

Her father is from Haiti. Yes she is a black gal
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by encryptjay(m): 2:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
Seems officiating officials are lenient in tennis considering the rate at which players keep warning umpires.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Therealev: 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2018
Everyone just yapping that the officials were terrible and bla bla bla. It's sports and as such there are rules that govern that. In a football match you dont talk down at the referee or shout in his face, it is an automatic yellow card or a red if you have been warned before. What about football coaches that get touchline bans for shouting at match officials ? (Mourhino comes to mind). Regardless of who you are, there is no reason for you to shout at the umpire of officials, let alone talk him down like he is not human. She called him a "Thief" hence bringing the integrity of the game to disrepute. Most people are just being biased because it's Serena (and I happen to be a big fan of the Williams), but we shouldnt condone what is wrong. I am sure if it were to be against a White player, people would have played the "Racist" card. And it was even appalling that some people were pulling out the "Sexism" card like her opponent was a female. She lost, and her conduct was highly unprofessional Period

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Sterope(f): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2018
What complex? You mean doing what is best for his daughter in a country that is overly racist?
bomasek:
I just sensed a complex in his decision though it paid off
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2018
ChiefOloye:

Omoalailekole jatijati.

Will you keep quayet, don't express wrong opinion about a tennis player just becos she's your favourite. google her competencies ko, her competencies ni.. What did she achieve when she was 20yrs?, only Ostapenko played better than Naomi at that age (which is debatable now that Naomi has a grand slam)..

Google before you comment, Anuofia

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by bomasek(m): 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sterope:
What complex? You mean doing what is best for his daughter in a country that is overly racist?
Had no idea Japan is overly racist?
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Maitommi: 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2018
charliboy654:

If u had watch the game, u wouldn't make this comment, serena was the one who pacify the booing and cheered Naomi up.
I watched the game from beginning to end. She ruined Osaka's moment and that's the truth.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Mizwisdom(f): 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2018
The sacrifice we females make for our offspring is enormous. Childrearing has surely affected Serena, it's time to call it quit if you ask me

Need books?
contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by unmask: 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:

Stop harping on the rules because what is clearly good for the goose is good for the gander, I don't mind her being penalized, but the code violations were a step too far for something so meagre, especially at a grand slam final when fines have usually been the norm.

Did the official do any wrong? If she had an issue she should have played tennis and forgotten the rants.

But what did she do when she REALISED she was going to lose.

All she wanted to do was create a reason to excuse her failings but unfortunately you guys are guzzling up her rubbish.

Funny how no one is talking about rules that were broken or who deserved to win on balance of play

2 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by timay(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
Mizwisdom:
The sacrifice we females make for our offspring is enormous. Childrearing has surely affected Serena, it's time to call it quit if you ask me

Need books?
contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com

Call what quit? it seems you don't know that Serena is a strong willed woman. And I'm sure that she would win one grand slam b4 d year runs out
Re: Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title by Mizwisdom(f): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
timay:

Call what quit? it seems you don't know that Serena is a strong willed woman. And I'm sure that she would win one grand slam b4 d year runs out

She has seriously lost form. It's better to leave while the ovation is still loud

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Super-sub, Victor Osimhen Prove His Class As He Scores Two Wonderful Goals / Tiger Woods Jumps To Sixth In Rankings, Takes Home $2.07 Million (n745m) / Obituary: Burial Poster Of Christian Jacob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.