Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,813 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us (1044 Views)

Stations Caught Selling Above The N87, Will Have Its Licence Revoked – FG Warns / Family Barred Us From Chukwumerije’s Burial –abia Govt / New Wikileaks Revelations Implicates Aondoakaa, Julius Berger Etc. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by onelink205: 5:44am On Jul 02, 2010
We’ve revoked Aondoakaa’s visa – US
By Emeka Madunagu and Comfort Oseghale
Friday, 2 Jul 2010

View All (24) Comment(s)
Print
Post Comment
Facebook
Twitter
Send to friend

Michael Aondoakaa (SAN)

The United States Government on Thursday confirmed that it had barred Nigeria’s former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Chief Michael Aondoakaa, SAN, from entering its territory.

A blog, Saharareporters.com, had reported on Thursday last week that US President Barack Obama ordered the revocation of Aondoakaa’s visa for unspecified links to corruption.

Aondoakaa swiftly denied the report, saying that he had not received any communication from either the US Department of State or the US Embassy in Abuja to that effect.

He had said, “In the first instance, the revocation of visa of a citizen entering the US does not go through Obama. It is just a matter of the state department revoking your visa.”

However, the US Embassy in Abuja, through one of its top officials, confirmed to one of our correspondents that the former AGF and his family had indeed been barred from entering the United States.

Reading from a prepared text on the telephone, the diplomat said, “The United States has indeed revoked the visa of the former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa, pursuant to Presidential Proclamation 7750, which provides authority to deny entry to the United States to persons with links to corruption.”

Prodded for further details, the diplomat said the information was restricted to the text.

By this development, Aondoakaa’s position as a member of the governing council of the United Nations Institute for Unification of Private Laws may be hampered.

Former US President George W. Bush had on January 12, 2004 signed Proclamation 7750, to restrict foreign officials and their family members allegedly linked to corruption.

The full text of the proclamation is posted on http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2004/pdf/04-957.pdf.

The proclamation had earlier been used to bar a former governor of Plateau State, Chief Joshua Dariye, and his family from entering the US in 2004.

In retrospect, a Federal High Court sitting in Calabar, Cross River State, had in early June, restrained Aondoakaa from holding the office of the AGF or any other similar public offices in future in Nigeria.

It had, therefore, advised the government to always consider Aondoakaa unfit and incompetent to hold public offices because of his conduct while serving as AGF in the administration of the late former President Umaru Yar‘Adua.

Justice Adetokunbo Ademola, who delivered the judgment, had also referred the ex-minister to the Nigerian Bar Association for appropriate disciplinary action.

The judgment was on a suit filed against Aondoakaa by the Peoples Democratic Party candidate for Uyo Federal Constituency, Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Emmanuel Obot.

Obot had challenged the Independent National Electoral Commission and PDP for substituting him as the party‘s candidate for the 2007 election with Mr. Bassey Etim.

The Election Petitions Tribunal in Uyo had in its ruling sacked Etim and asked INEC to issue a Certificate of Return to Obot. The judgment was affirmed by the Court of Appeal sitting in Calabar.

The Court of Appeal had before its ruling ordered that a new panel be reconstituted to retry the petition, but Aondoakaa, in a letter dated January 8, 2008 to the President of the Court, had asked him not to comply with the directive.

Aondoakaa had also used his position as the AGF to volunteer a letter on February 16, 2009 to the former Chairman of INEC, Prof. Maurice Iwu, asking him not to issue a certificate of return to Obot.

He had also written the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Dimeji Bankole, imploring him to allow Etim to remain in the House despite the Court of Appeal’s judgment.

Obot had, therefore, approached the Federal High Court to determine whether or not the conduct of Aondoakaa in the three separate letters did not constitute abuse of powers conferred on him by Section 150(1) of the 1999 Constitution.

In his ruling, Adetokunbo had observed that there was no counter-affidavit filed by the defendant (Aondoakaa) to deny the letters and challenge depositions in an affidavit filed by the plaintiff.

He said, “It is also settled in law that the documents tendered and admitted in court are like words uttered and do speak for themselves. They are more reliable and authentic than words from the vocal cord of man as they are neither transient nor subject to distortion or misinterpretation but remain permanent and indelible through the ages.”

The judge had also noted that the conduct of Aondoakaa was a desecration of the office of AGF, adding that the position as created by law was meant for learned and eminent members of the Bar and not for political charlatans, jobbers or latter day praise singers.

He said, “A declaration is hereby made that Aondoakaa undermined and subverted the rule of law, the due administration of justice and the independence, authority and integrity of the judiciary in the letters of January 8, 2008, February 16, 2009 written by him in his capacity as the AGF.

“A declaration is hereby made that Aondoakaa is not a competent, fit and proper person to hold office as AGF having regards to the Oath of Allegiance and Office.

“A perpetual injunction is hereby made restraining Aondoakaa from occupying the office of the AGF and Minister of Justice and such other similar offices in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

Speaking with one of our correspondents on Thursday, Aaondoakaa, however, denied knowledged of the revocation.

He said, “I am not aware that my visa has been revoked. The US Embassy had said before that they hadn’t revoked the visa. If they have done so now, maybe somebody, somewhere does not want me to take up the United Nations’ Job.

“If this story is true, I expect that the matter will be taken up diplomatically. The job which I am to take up at the UN is not Aaondoakaa’s job. It is a job that I am representing not only Nigeria but the entire Africa. I have been in public office for two and half years and I expect the Federal Government to protect me if what you are saying is true.

“The US embassy has not informed me that they have revoked my visa. It is only when they do so that I will ask for the basis of their action. It is at this point I will then react.”

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201007023472189

Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by chuxy12(m): 9:23am On Jul 02, 2010
The man was busy scheming to become governor , unwittingly making enemies here and there, until The almighty spoke. God has spoken once twice have i heard power belongs to God. Aondakaa's world is gradually caving it.
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 02, 2010
Utter tosh.

Reading from a prepared text on the telephone, the diplomat said, “The United States has indeed revoked the visa of the former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa, pursuant to Presidential Proclamation 7750, which provides authority to deny entry to the United States to persons with links to corruption.”

What in the name of quack journalism or the need to sell papers is this?

A diplomatic?? Reading and responding to a  text message??
Not even a Nigerian diplomat would do that.

And what has that proclamation document got to do with anything?

Pssshh Nansense!
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Jul 02, 2010
This Story na wa oooo!!!
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2010
Proclamation 7750

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2004/pdf/04-957.pdf

[size=13pt]SUUUUUWEEET!!!![/size]
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2010
Is this the final version. . . .?

Or is someone else gonna come and and deny this Ban?

I don dey tire sha.
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Jul 02, 2010
Read the PDF  . . .

I LOVE THE USA  . . . [size=14pt]ROFLMAO!!! [/size]

Now if Only other countries can do the same, I will so love it!
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Read the PDF  . . .

I LOVE THE USA  . . . [size=14pt]ROFLMAO!!! [/size]

Now if Only other countries can do the same, I will so love it!

(d) The spouses, children, and dependent household members of persons
described in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) above, who are beneficiaries of
any articles of monetary value or other benefits obtained by such persons.

Yea. . . . I guess.

But where was these so called loving USA when 75% of our officials were involved in corruption?

Why only Aondoakaa all of a sudden? [and his family?]  undecided
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Jul 02, 2010
FL Gators:

Yea. . . . I guess.

But where was these so called loving USA when 75% of our officials were involved in corruption?

Why only Aondoakaa all of a sudden? [and his family?]  undecided
Well, considering the ban was confirmed in Abuja, it is likely he went seeking a visa or something and his name was flagged at that point. lol

uumm . . . this is NOT about Nigeria but simply the US covering it's own side from these shady individuals , some of whom happen to be Nigerians. The US probably has it's hands full with dealing with it's own issues and does not want you sending your KAYA up it's way . ROFLMAO!!  THis was passed back in 2004 mind you!. lol

USA

ROFLMAO!!
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

uumm . . . this is NOT about Nigeria but simply the US covering it's own side from these shady individuals , some of whom happen to be Nigerians. The US probably has it's hands full with dealing with it's own issues and does not want you sending your KAYA up it's way . ROFLMAO!!  THis was passed back in 2004 mind you!. lol

USA
1. I understand that it was passed in 2004, but is Aonadakaa the only politician since then that has been accused of corruption?

2. Dont get me wrong, I support [b]his [/b]ban, just wondering why USA has only beginning to open her eyes on Nigerian officials
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by bkbabe99: 5:31pm On Jul 02, 2010
Ok, this story is weird, and I dont know who to believe. hehehehehhe. Here's my suggestion:

Dear Mr Aoddomkaaaka (I hope I spelled your name right, if not forgive me),

It has been claimed that the U.S govt has barred u from entering this heaven on earth, you've denied it as the rabid rantings of your detractors. This is clearly a "call-out" by haters. And, in the hood "all call-outs are mandatory"! Meaning, u gotta show us that your haters are just sipping on Haterade cus of your success. So, here's what u gotta do! Buy a ticket to J.F.K airport, let us know the date of your arrival so we can have cameras handy. If u arent detained by the U.S Govt on arrival, and are not hauled off disgracefully in shackles, then clearly your detractors have been guzzling bucketfuls of Hater-juice. If this is the case, remember to head first to 5th Ave and take maaad pictures of u shopping like a Hollywood ho; I'll gleefully help u post the pics on here to show your haters. Now, if the opposite is the case and those big, burly, scary-looking white-boy Govt agents handcuff your nuts to your neck while connecting it to your wrists, then, oh boy. . . dont write me or call "collect" cus I dont like doing all that 3-way call shiyyt for locked up folks! Remember, if u make it in here; 5th Ave baaabbeeyyy, 5th motherrrfuckixng Ave!!!
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Jul 02, 2010
FL Gators:

1. I understand that it was passed in 2004, but is Aonadakaa the only politician since then that has been accused of corruption?

2. Dont get me wrong, I support his [/b]ban, [b]just wondering why USA has only beginning to open her eyes on Nigerian officials

But who said that is the case. This particular case is the one we know of( reported in our newspapers), do you know how many others out there were not reported on? Plus, it is for people going to the states, not people who travel to places like the UK, Dubai and the likes which remain the most popular destinations for our corrupt elite in Nigeria. I mean even you know that going to America is not like going to the UK or Canada sef.
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But who said that is the case. This particular case is the one we know of( reported in our newspapers), do you know how many others out there were not reported on? Plus, it is for people going to the states, not people who travel to places like the UK, Dubai and the likes which remain the most popular destinations for our corrupt elite in Nigeria. I mean even you know that going to America is not like going to the UK or Canada sef.
KoboJ, If I did, I wouldnt have posted my second question.

Anywaz, I support [b]his [/b]ban. UK and Dubai, you're next.
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Jul 02, 2010
I am so happy this is true. Cause I am freaking tired of hearing of Nigerians going abroad to purchase million dollar houses cash down. I want to at least know now that those who do are probably clean. lol

Now, if only EFCC can buck up, we might hear more news like this . . . . wizardy snicker!!
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am so happy this is true. Cause I am freaking tired of hearing of Nigerians going abroad to purchase million dollar houses cash down. I want to at least know now that those who do are probably clean. lol

Now, if only EFCC can buck up, we might hear more news like this . . . . wizardy snicker!!
I doubt EFCC wont bakc it up. Their credibility is on the line.

Does another country have to point out what's BEEN  happening under your nose? Dont think they'll want to be seen as a supporter and protector of a corrupt official.
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Jul 02, 2010
uumm . . . . Halliburton?
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

uumm . . . . Halliburton?
. . . grin

Dont think they'll want to be seen as a supporter and protector of a corrupt official again.
Didnt know about that case. Reading up on it. Na wa o
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 02, 2010
We won’t revisit $180m Halliburton bribery case — EFCC  http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006214461478

click to expand image
FARIDA WAZIRI

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has said it will not revisit the controversial $180m Halliburton scandal probe except if directed by the Presidency.

A former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, had, in a May 29 letter, reportedly challenged President Goodluck Jonathan to order fresh inquiry into the matter.

Obasanjo said his letter was neccessitated by “sustained and malicious media reports” regarding his alleged involvement in the sleaze.

In the eight-page letter, Obasanjo said, “I feel to make a once-and-for-all detailed explanations and absolute rebuttal of these allegations.

The commission’s Head of Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Babafemi, said, “I can’t talk on it because we are not the ones handling the matter. Except otherwise directed to take up the matter again, I’m sure you are aware that a Presidential Committee headed by the office of Inspector-General of Police is now in charge.”

Why do they need permission from the President to continue the investigation?

So whose handling the Investigation if not EFCC?
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Jul 02, 2010
It seems in Nigeria the president decides who can be investigated and who cannot. So far, it seems the same old farce of a justice system continues.
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 02, 2010
Been wondering why OBJ has been licking GJ 's . . .
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2010
FL Gators:

Been wondering why OBJ has been licking GJ 's . . .
Is it really the case that Obj is the one doing the bootlicking or is our dear Goodluck desperately in need of the man to help guide him through the jungle which he was THRUST into?
GJ practically has no political experience when he was made the VP. He was VP and as some claimed doing NOTHING( since that is what many believe VPs do) until Alams was impeached. Even after then he did not have to do so much in a state where not much is really expected of any of the leaders.

Next he is made VP and spends the best part of 3 years doing( again according to some) NOTHING, now he has been thrust into the main seat and probably needs OBJ to save him from the lions. lol
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Is it really the case that Obj is the one doing the bootlicking or is our dear Goodluck desperately in need of the man to help guide him through the jungle which he was THRUST into?
GJ practically has no political experience when he was made the VP. He was VP and as some claimed doing NOTHING( since that is what many believe VPs do) until Alams was impeached. Even after then he did not have to do so much in a state where not much is really expected of any of the leaders.

Next he is made VP and spends the best part of 3 years doing( again according to some) NOTHING, now he has been thrust into the main seat and probably needs OBJ to save him from the lions. lol

They're mutually using each other jare. He must have had some sort of political experience.

What was his experience before becoming a VP? undecided
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 9:10pm On Jul 02, 2010
You need to learn your history!! We are speaking of the history of your president~ shocked
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You need to learn your history!! We are speaking of the history of your president~ shocked
angry

Answer my question nau
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On Jul 02, 2010
Re: United States We’ve Revoked Aondoakaa’s Visa & His Family Barred From Enter Us by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 02, 2010
Thanks. When I have the time. . . lol

(1) (Reply)

2011: Prepare For War •atiku Supporters Threaten To ‘cancel’ Nigeria / Make Ur Vote Count: Secure Your Future - Vote Buhari For A Change / Apocalypse Japan Thousands Feared Dead In Tsunami(pctures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.