Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,396 members, 7,812,162 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja (11271 Views)

Labour Minister Suspends MC Oluomo, Baruwa’s NURTW Factions / FG Suspends Mining In Zamfara State Over Killings / Commissioning Turns Sour As Angry FCT Minister Suspends FCT Fire Service Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by MiningNG: 8:56am On Sep 09, 2018
All quarrying/mining activities and borehole drilling have been suspended forthwith in parts of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT Minister Muhammad Bello, announced yesterday.

It was in reaction to the earth tremors in the territory.

Affected by the quarrying/mining and borehole drilling suspension are Mpape, Gwarimpa and Garki districts.

The suspension will subsist pending the outcome of investigations on the causes of the tremors.

Bello yesterday paid an on-the-spot visit to Mpape, the epicentre of reported incidents of earth tremors in parts of Abuja recently.

Speaking for the minister, the FCT Permanent Secretary, Sir Chinyeaka Ohaa, assured residents that there was no cause for alarm.

He said Abuja does not lie in any major seismic danger zone.

The minister’s Chief Press Secretary, Cosmas Uzodinma, said preliminary reports on the tremors indicated that rock blasting from quarrying, mining activities and proliferation of borehole drilling might have caused the situation.

Consequently, he stressed, it became necessary to suspend all quarrying activities in various sites of Abuja, especially Mpape, Garki, Gwarimpa and contiguous areas.

https://www.miningng.com/fct-minister-suspends-mining-quarrying-activities-in-abuja/

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by dingbang(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2018
cool until when another tremor happens, they will know that there is a cause for alarm. There should be a question, what triggered the earth tremor?

12 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by bivanJohnaliuz(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2018
no matter how hard you study GEOGRAPHY in school all these blOod sucking demons will kill ur carrier with 1 sinqle stroke. Meanwhile mining will not be the cause of the recent earthquake, itz jux a bomb against aso rock
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Balet: 9:10am On Sep 09, 2018
Nigeria should look towards solid mineral processing. Germany doesn't have crude oil, it only relies on solid minerals, even with that, Germany has almost the best economy in the whole Europe

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 09, 2018
A good temporary measure.
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by inoki247: 9:11am On Sep 09, 2018
some people will still go behind d Backdoor to Bribe Dere way in to dig Borehole... ABI no b Nigeria again...

8 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Queenext: 9:11am On Sep 09, 2018
Good move.. If earthquake should happen, it's over for Nigeria.

It hasn't happened, we are in dark ages, if it does, we are going back to stone age

12 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by coolestchris(m): 9:11am On Sep 09, 2018
Good move but meanwhile vote me for president of Nigeria and see good changes

14 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by johnmba: 9:11am On Sep 09, 2018
Check tomorrow you will see those indians digging borehole in those areas.

Those indians have made money in abuja. They are almost in every estate in abuja.

There is high proliferation of borehole and quarry in abuja. Government should do something fast before the main earthquake hit us

2 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by abukuru(m): 9:12am On Sep 09, 2018
story
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by olufalaye: 9:12am On Sep 09, 2018
Good morning and Happy Sunday nairalanders

Pls I had to narrate my pains here. 2 months ago I was involved in a bike accident, it was severe I couldn't go to my part time work, hereby loosing the job.
The pain behind all this is that I need to pay my tuition fee in less than a week. I do not have parents since a tender age, so am all I've got for myself.
Am. Currently in my final year, just some months to finish.
pls good people of this forum help me out, any amount donated is something. The total fee is 80.300 and I have proof of all this to confirm

Pls I also need a part time job around Abeokuta axis. I have nothing to move on right now.

My account details is on my profile for any assistance
Happy Sunday once again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Neoteny(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
cool until when another tremor happens, they will know that there is a cause for alarm. There should be a question, what triggered the earth tremor?

Like 90% of the article suggests that's what they're trying to investigate

Read the article to the very end, ruminate, then post.

Don't do it in reverse

6 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by gaby(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2018
Way to go. The government needs proper regulation in the mining sector.

We give out construction contracts to these companies at humongous sums per kilometre. But my dear people, it would interest you to know that, from the sand, rocks, tar, down to the labour who are paid peanuts are extracted from us at no cost to these companies.

How do we progress as a nation with dumb leaders at the helms?

If they were smart enough to factor in the cost of materials gotten from the state, a kilometre of the road can be constructed at a very minimal rate and you'll understand what that portends for our infrastructural needs.

I honestly pray and hope we get there soon rather than later.

Enjoy my siggy

2 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by dingbang(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2018
Neoteny:

Like 90% of the article suggests that's what they're trying to investigate

Read the article to the very end, ruminate, then post.

Don't do it in reverse
my friend if you want to quote me, you take sense along with you.
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Shortyy(f): 9:16am On Sep 09, 2018
Lol Nigeria was just a fantastic place until one old man came.

Please my signature
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by fkj950ax(m): 9:16am On Sep 09, 2018
Knee jerk reaction.
Just punishing the locals earning a living from mining.
Did they just start doing so last week?
If the State had regulated their activities in a humane manner, there won't be all these issues here and there.
The images are so sad with minors who ought to be in school smashing rocks with hammers. He didn't see this.

See Strive Masiyiwa Post on FB on how the local community in Rwanda earn $2-$10m annually from their environment.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2165752246832592&id=496453373762496

Our own leaders are busy doing...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by AlphaStyles(m): 9:21am On Sep 09, 2018
the earth is becoming unstable just look at all the major disasters going on in the world yet the so called experts will tell you not to worry ok na when our core give up we don enter 1 chance
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Sijo01(f): 9:22am On Sep 09, 2018
The earlier the better.
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by allanphash7(m): 9:28am On Sep 09, 2018
No single natural resources in Japan
Balet:
Nigeria should look towards solid mineral processing. Germany doesn't have crude oil, it only relies on solid minerals, even with that, Germany has almost the best economy in the whole Europe
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by GentleMoney: 9:29am On Sep 09, 2018

1 Share

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Neoteny(m): 9:30am On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
my friend if you want to quote me, you take sense along with you.

Sense?

Why talk about what you've no clue what it is, seeing as you lack any?

2 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Foodforthought: 9:31am On Sep 09, 2018
coolestchris:
You mean SUG president right?

2 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Holiegrail2: 9:31am On Sep 09, 2018
ok
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by CharleyBright(m): 9:32am On Sep 09, 2018
Is it only to suspend these activities?
Why not arrest these useless Lebanese and Chinese involved in these illegal & indiscriminate mining and quarry activitiedls?
It is amnoying that these useless foreigners come to Nigeria, grab big contracts and brazenly go to remote areas to get resouces free of charge to execute the jobs. The level of free mining and quarrying by these foreigners are massive, thereby exposing our country to tremors, landslides and earthquakes.
This is the only country in the world where foreigners will engage in illlegal activities detrimrntal to the economy and the govt officials turn blind eyes after collecting stipends as kick backs.

2 Likes

Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Livefreeordieha(m): 9:33am On Sep 09, 2018
coolestchris:
u never hear say na not too poor to run?? U get money to spend like diz?? Abi u don find ur own big god?? Abi na just the accolades former or one time presidential aspirants..
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by MrHighSea: 9:33am On Sep 09, 2018
G
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by deepwater(f): 9:33am On Sep 09, 2018
Lol
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by Nukilia: 9:35am On Sep 09, 2018
Balet:

You mean youre advising dullards on how to run government. grin grin grin Don't worry your head, just vote them out...
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by destiny62(m): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2018
Good move, long overdue before it attracts natural disasters uncalled for
Re: FCT Minister Suspends Mining, Quarrying Activities In Abuja by aguiyi2: 9:42am On Sep 09, 2018
As if they know what actually caused the earth tremor.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Over 160,000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Adamawa / 7 Most Commonly Used Words In January 2012 In Naija / Maiduguri Blast:Shettima Visit Victims At Hospital,Ask 4 Urgent Security Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.