Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Igbo Naming Predicament (not Another Igbo Name Topic) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Naming Predicament (not Another Igbo Name Topic) (967 Views)

Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix / Another Igbo-Yoruba marriage / Igbo Name For Fruits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Naming Predicament (not Another Igbo Name Topic) by Chimaaba: 11:20am On Jul 02, 2010
Greetings my (Igbo) people.

This is a question from a father to be, hear my story.

My woman is from East Afrika, we've been together for some years (boyfriend/girlfriend things) but it was not going well, then a few days after we break up she is pregnant. Now we are expecting a child in a short time.

I have told her that in our tradition (my side is specifically Umuahia) we try to name our children after circumstance, not -only- what we like. This has vexed her, but nonetheless I persist that my childs frist name will 1) be an Igbo name and 2) will not be decided until after the child is born.

She is struggling with this concept (she wants to give my child Onyeocha names) and giving me a headache, but alas, that is what you get for trying to be serious with a foreign woman.

I have come to my people here (because here we are many on this boeard, and my local Igbo Forum is on vacation) to ask them to aid a Brother in his quest for the right name.

Will you aid me? I'll supply some facts so that maybe you can think of a name that would suit the occasion. Hopefully some of the ones I've chosen will match yours.

I am young, under 25, my name means God knows my/the heart and still studying law. I have rejected white religion because I see it as poison in my community. I was raised by my father (Umuahia man) since my mother was absent (western sickness).

My woman is older than me, closer to 30. From East Afrika, close to Tanzania.

The relationship has been rocky, we've argued much about lifestyle, religion, spirituality and family matters but have done our best to remain as one entity (FAMILY) the whole time. We were not sure the child would make it (risk pregnancy due) and we were in and out of hospital every week. In the end, we heard the child would make it and all doubts were removed - this child would be accepted joyously even if my father and my community should reject it. I have been sad because I know my Igbo people are now further removed from my new family, but I know the ancestors will guide me back shortly.

As it is now I'm browsing trough the Igbo names thread but I'd like some personal suggestions. The sex of my seed is still unkown, we have waited.

I beg, help meĀ  grin List suggestions, meaning and sex.

If more information is required, please ask.

Udo.

p.s.: Chimaaba is not my name, just the nickname (note: Chima1obi is my name)
Re: Igbo Naming Predicament (not Another Igbo Name Topic) by lactemps(m): 11:34am On Jul 02, 2010
Udo diri gi!!!
Egbe bere Ugo bere, nke si ibe ya ebela, ka nku kwa ya oooo.
Biri ka m biri. Odighi ife mebiri emebi, maka na ihe n'enweghi otu n'eme ya, otu n'eme ya ga adiriri.

Now to the point:
If am correct, you are "Chimaobi", and with the background of your story, its good to know your roots, and thats what you are trying to preserve.
I'm a bit surprised that your woman does not believe or seems to believe in "Africanism" because even the Oyiboos want their children to have African names, because they are proud to show their roots, no matter their citizenship.

In a birth Cert, there is always a room for 3 to 5 names, so you have to agree with her, on the names to give, and as the FAther, you have 3 slots, while she has 2 slots (though its equal slots, but the surname is yours).

Now on a more serious note, there are many names to suggest, but do to the circumstances, I would say if:
A Girl: Onyinyechi, Kelechi, Ngozichukwu
A Boy: Chukwuma, Chukwuemeka etc

Now depending on your location of which the Child will claim Citizenship, I would suggest one of the names be of that origin, so that he/she would not miss out.

I will make more suggestions as the days go by. & if possible, the month of expected delivery would also be a good means of making a name choice.

Ka Chineke nonyere gi.
Re: Igbo Naming Predicament (not Another Igbo Name Topic) by Chimaaba: 11:43am On Jul 02, 2010
Ndewo lactemps.

Thank you o for the suggestion, I have noted them down cheesy And you guessed my name correctly.

Indeed, we must live and let live but pan-africanism seems like a silly concept to some of our brother and sisters.

Anyway enyhi, I have to run out but to ansa yo quesshon: baby will be born in july (this july). We are from Umekwule, but my grandparents have both passed sad I will have to call some of our real elders to ask them if there is time - if not the Ancestors will guide.

Who has names that are not tainted by white religion or that are related to ancestors or the IGbo pantheon?

Chi bless,

- Chimaobi
Re: Igbo Naming Predicament (not Another Igbo Name Topic) by anitabest(f): 3:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
if a gilr, name Amarachi (grace of God) boy mean chilaka ( no comment).

(1) (Reply)

Inner Mongolian Shaman's Spirit Possession/spirit-dance/masquerade / Pls Can / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.