Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Governors Move Against Senators (photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Move Against Senators (photo) (22749 Views)

Ahead Of NEC Meeting, PDP Governors Move Against Atiku, Wike / 6 PDP Governors Move Against Atiku, Tinubu's Men Reachout To PDP Members / South-West Governors Move To Legalise Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by dre11(m): 8:10am On Sep 10, 2018
By Felix Nwaneri

It is battle royale ahead of the primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as eight state governors, who have declared interest to contest for senatorial seats in the 2019 general elections, have moved against serving senators for tickets of their respective parties.

The governors, who would be serving out the constitutional allowed two terms for states chief executives by May 29, next year, are up to stop the senators, who are seeking to return to the upper chamber of the National Assembly.

They are Rochas Okorocha (Imo), Ibrahim Geidam (Yobe), Abdulaziz Yari (Zamfara), Ibrahim Shetima (Borno), Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun), Abiola Ajimobi (Oyo), Tanko Al-makura (Nasarawa) and Abdulfatah Ahmed (Kwara). Unlike others, Al-Makura, who is gunning for Nasarawa South senatorial district seat would not be facing an incumbent senator in his party’s primaries.

His senatorial district is currently represented by a senator elected on the platform of the PDP. Should the governors succeed, they will swell the number of former governors in the Senate, which stands at 16 at the moment. However, victory for the governors in the primaries may be of great political consequence for their parties, particularly the APC.

The leadership of the ruling party had, in the wake of the recent crisis that rocked the Senate over the defection of Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, promised its senators automatic tickets for the 2019 elections, apparently to curb further defection of the party’s lawmakers.

Against this backdrop, there is likely to be defection of the senators, whose return bids are being threatened by the ambition of the governors to other political parties. They include Hope Uzodinma (Imo West), Lanre Tejuosho (Ogun Central), Bukar Abba Ibrahim (Yobe East), Soji Akanbi (Oyo South), Ahmed Yerima (Zamfara) and Baba Kaka Garbai (Borno Central).

Particularly, APC governors, who are in majority among their peers seeking the senatorial tickets, have opted for indirect primaries rather than direct primaries approved by the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party. But, the affected senators have turned down the option, insisting on direct primaries, where all party members will vote during the nominations. They argued that indirect primaries would give edge to the governors as they are in control of party delegates.

New Telegraph learnt that some of the senators are already discussing with the PDP, All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) and the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

The PDP is also likely to experience similar fate as Governor Ahmed seeks to dislodge incumbent Senator Rafiu Ibrahim from the Kwara South senatorial seat. The case of Senator Suleiman Adokwe (PDP, Nasarawa South) is different, as he would only face Governor Al-Makura of the APC in the main election if they are able to secure the tickets of their respective parties.

For Okorocha, who has declared his ambition to represent Imo West senatorial district, he would have had incumbent Senator Hope Uzodinma to contend with for the ticket of the APC, but report has it that the lawmaker has opted for the governorship position.

The senator understands how desperately Okorocha wants the Senate seat as well as to produce his successor, so bidding for the governorship of the state, is seen by many as a ploy to bargain for his return to the Senate.

Uzodinma was elected on the platform of the PDP, but he made a switch to the APC, when his faction lost out in the PDP’s leadership tussle. However, his entry into the APC was apparently a good gambit, which perhaps could have offered him some grounds to negotiate a comfortable compromise with Okorocha, but it did not pan out as expected.

Governor Amosun has moved against the incumbent senator, Lanre Tejuosho, for the Ogun Central ticket. The governor represented the senatorial district between 2003 and 2007 in the Senate. Tejuosho had earlier moved to defect from the APC, citing alienation from the party in his home state.

He announced his defection alongside 14 senators on the floor of the Senate in July. But he made a detour 24 hours later, when he announced his return at a meeting between 43 APC senators and President Muhammadu Buhari held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. As the clock ticks to the primaries, Tejuoso, who recently claimed that President Buhari prevailed on him to stay back in APC, faces a Herculean task securing the APC ticket as Amosun seems to have practically taken over the party in the state.

A similar battle is in the offing in Oyo State, where Governor Ajimobi’s bid to return to the Senate is likely to cost the incumbent senator representing Oyo South, Akanbi, his seat.

Ajimobi, who served as senator on the platform of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) between 2003 and 2007, before becoming governor, is poised to return to the Red Chamber of the National Assembly after his tenure.

Though he had, immediately after winning re-election as governor in 2015, said he would retire after his tenure elapses, he made a detour few months ago, when he declared for the Oyo South senatorial seat, a move that unsettled Senator Akanbi, who is a first-timer in the Senate.

In Yobe State, the battle for the APC Yobe East senatorial ticket promises to be an interesting one as the incumbent governor, Ibrahim Geidam, battles Senator Bukar Abba Ibrahim, who is a former governor of the state. The senatorial ambitions of both men have ruptured their longstanding political relationship.

While the governor’s camp said it is time Senator Ibrahim retires politically having failed to do anything tangible for the people of his senatorial district and the state in almost 12 years at the Senate, the senator’s camp dismissed Geidam’s claim, saying the governor is only banking on indirect primaries, which he is plotting to manipulate, for him to pick the APC ticket.

Another contest between a sitting governor and incumbent senator of the same party is in Borno State, where Governor Shettima is seeking to take the APC’s ticket for Borno South senatorial district from Senator Baba Kaka Garbai. Garbai is from the royal family of Borno Emirate and he is a brother to the Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Garbai, as well as a close associate of Governor Shettima, before they parted ways due to the governor’s bid to succeed him.

Garbai is said to have indicated interest to vie for the governor of the state, but later jettisoned the ambition, after facing stiff opposition from some political leaders in the state, who argued that if given the opportunity, it would mean that the Garbai family would have both the head of the traditional leadership and government of the state. In Kwara State, Governor Ahmed will slug it out with incumbent Senator Rafiu Ibrahim for Kwara South PDP senatorial ticket.

Both are loyalists of the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki. Although the winner of the ticket is expected to be determined majorly by a consensus arrangement popular within the Saraki political structure, supporters of the incumbent senator are of the view that he has shown enough maturity and commitment to earn him the party’s ticket.

While both camps are optimistic ahead of the primaries, feelers indicate that Ahmed may have the upper hand as party stakeholders, as well as the traditional institution in the state, are disposed to his candidacy.

In Zamfara, it is less of a contest as Senator Yerima has offered to relinquish the seat for his political godson, Governor Yari. New Telegraph gathered that the reason why Yerima is giving up the senatorial position to Yari is as a result of loyalty and respect he enjoys from the governor, as there has never been any feud between them since Yari became the state governor in 2011.

Yerima’s media aide, Junaidu Dosara, who confirmed the development to New Telegraph, said Yerima has already stepped down for Governor Yari to represent Zamfara West in the Ninth Senate on the platform of the ruling APC.

“The former governor and political leader of Zamfara, Ahmed Sani Yerima, has conceded to Governor Abdul’azeez Yari, the senatorial ticket to contest the next 2019 general elections to represent the zone in the National Assembly,” he said.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/09/governors-move-against-senators/

1 Like

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by SolutionMee: 8:18am On Sep 10, 2018
cheesy
Good for democracy. Profitable for personal interest. Bad for national interest.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by IllegalMoney: 8:26am On Sep 10, 2018
Second round of Defection to PDP coming soon ---Zombies quote me very very well
APC total disintegration is coming after APC primaries

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by aolawale025: 8:35am On Sep 10, 2018
The tejuosho guy miscalculated. No way amosun won't get that ticket in APC. Hope he finds another option before nominations end

5 Likes

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by senatordave1(m): 8:40am On Sep 10, 2018
IllegalMoney:
Second round of Defection to PDP coming soon ---Zombies quote me very very well
APC total disintegration is coming after APC primaries
Your funny and also unintelligent.hope uzodinma,soji and tejuoso are those that may likely defect which would mean nothing.they contribute nothing to apc.people like bukar ibrahim and yerima that have clout have conceded the ticket to the governors so no need of defecting.bother about your evil and old fashioned pdp thats trying to give automatic tickets

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by IllegalMoney: 8:46am On Sep 10, 2018
senatordave1:
Your funny and also unintelligent.hope uzodinma,soji and tejuoso are those that may likely defect which would mean nothing.they contribute nothing to apc.people like bukar ibrahim and yerima that have clout have conceded the ticket to the governors so no need of defecting.bother about your evil and old fashioned pdp thats trying to give automatic tickets

Did I quote any name at all, among those names u just quoted---u just confirmed ur self as a confused bastard like ur fellow APC indomie brain zombies
I don't have time to trade insults with zombies like u , whose brain is just a mixture of burukutu and ogogoro, go check my post on nairaland they are spot on ,
More APC Governors, Senators, and Chieftains are defecting to PDP before December, when they do, it will confirm u are a confused bastard and if u are not happy about it go swallow rat poison ...Quote me
U are a confused Useless janja-weed goworo chewing moneky

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by IllegalMoney: 8:52am On Sep 10, 2018
IllegalMoney:

Did I quote any name at all, among those names u just quoted---u just confirmed ur self as a confused bastard like ur fellow APC indomie brain zombies
I don have time to trade insults with zombies like u , whose brain is just a mixture of burukutu and ogogoro, go check my post on nairaland they are spot on , APC Governors and APC are defectingto PDP before December, when they do, it will confirm u are a confused bastard bastard...Quote me
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by gaby(m): 8:55am On Sep 10, 2018
Greedy power-drunk egomaniac.

Are you a politician or know anyone running for an elective position, one who cares about the youths and their well being in his State/ Constituency? Are you an NGO, an individual or business organisation who would want to make an impression on the youths by way of your CSR while also having an opportunity to create an image for yourself, business and organisation as one who refused to watch and not take action while the youths are wasting away. You have an opportunity to order for customised copies of my book in my signature. I am offering you a chance to put a picture of you or your organisation with the words" copy sponsored and supported by you/organisation" for distribution as you desire.
There is no better way to get your campaign statement or vision out there than through this book. There is no smarter way to advertise your business than this opportunity.
My contact is on my profile. Spread the word and let's take a stand and leave an indelible mark on the sands of history.

Enjoy my siggy
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by DuBLINGreenb(m): 8:56am On Sep 10, 2018
If I had a sniper. I'd be the next Jesus, the next Mandela, I'd free my people from the clutches of these thieves. I know a few of their children in UK living large while majority of Nigerians back home don't even have electricity, and live below a dollar
WHAT IS SO HARD TO LEAVE POLITICS AFTER BEING A GOVERNOR FOR 8 YEARS YOU WILL STILL GET PAID GOVERNORS PENSION YOU STILL WANT SENATE FOR ANOTHER 8 YEARS TO EAT BOTH SENATOR'S AND GOVERNORS PENSION AND DAVID MARK AND ATIKU ARE STILL GUNNING FOR PRESIDENT AFTER BEING GOVERNORS AND SENATOR OR VICE PRESIDENT AND VARIOUS POLITICAL OFFICES PRIOR TO THAT FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS EACH Nigerians are docile toothless dogs with a lot of bark why not protest why not assassinate these guys like RAWLINGS in Ghana did

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by olaolulazio(m): 8:57am On Sep 10, 2018
All I know is that nothing stops PMB...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by InvertedHammer: 8:57am On Sep 10, 2018
/
Hope Uzodinma is no match for Rochas (financially and politically) even though the latter is hated by the majority.

Anambra boys (Arthur Ezeh or Emeka Offor crew) cannot save Hope this time.

/

2 Likes

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by IMASTEX: 8:57am On Sep 10, 2018
SolutionMee:
cheesy
Good for democracy. Profitable for personal interest. Bad for national interest.
The bolded is not obtainable among the present Nigeria politicians. Politicians fight to remain in power at any levels because that is the sure way of milking the country since there is no system that provides for all.

Meanwhile, see my profile to get home made solution to quick release and weak attention.
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by tonylaw07(m): 8:57am On Sep 10, 2018
Governor 2 terms. What did they not achieve in 8 years that they want to achieve in senate.
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 10, 2018
Imo state okorocha senate bid....is dead on arrival.
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by jchioma: 8:58am On Sep 10, 2018
I expect more implosion in APC in the days ahead. Displaced senators will defect to the opposition.
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by tim5050606070: 8:58am On Sep 10, 2018
WHat else are we to expect..
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 10, 2018
IllegalMoney:

I don't have time to trade insults with zombies like u , whose brain is just a mixture of burukutu and ogogoro, go check my post on nairaland they are spot on ,
More APC Governors, Senators, and Chieftains are defectingto PDP before December, when they do, it will confirm u are a confused bastard bastard and if u are not happy about it go swallow rat poison ...Quote me
Don't be a low life! All this trash because of what exactly?

4 Likes

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 10, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/
Hope Uzodinma is no match for Rochas (financially and politically) even though the latter is hated by the majority.

Anambra boys cannot save Hope this time.

/

Wetin concern anambra here again.....

If anambra move against okorocha, he won't survive the onslaught....even okorocha knows that......

But anambra is not interested but highly concerned on the future of imolites before okorocha finally mortgage it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by bossrillboss: 9:01am On Sep 10, 2018
IllegalMoney:

More APC Governors, Senators, and Chieftains are defectingto PDP before December, when they do, it will confirm u are a confused bastard bastard and if u are not happy about it go swallow rat poison ...Quote me
..dis one na knock out abuse o..choi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by hopexter(m): 9:02am On Sep 10, 2018
IllegalMoney:

Your comment and use of fowl words denotes your childishness. Desist from it before I ban you from this forum angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by IllegalMoney: 9:07am On Sep 10, 2018
hopexter:

Your comment and use of fowl words denotes your childishness. Desist from it before I ban you from this forum angry
grin grin tongue tongue cool cool
Go swallow rat posion

1 Like

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by mycar: 9:07am On Sep 10, 2018
tonylaw07:
Governor 2 terms. What did they not achieve in 8 years that they want to achieve in senate.
Please ask them, and people are shouting buhari till 2023 as if the world revolves around them.
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:10am On Sep 10, 2018
They don't have the interest of the masses at heart. All these power play happening, because of greed, money and the lust of power. SMH

God help the masses please. These demons in human form are extremely desperate and heartless.

1 Like

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by Bizibi(m): 9:11am On Sep 10, 2018
senatordave1:
hehehehehehe.....e go shock you soon,PDP have cracks too but APC own is big and the APC chairman is not helping issues,well not my business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by wurahizig: 9:11am On Sep 10, 2018
Interesting
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by IllegalMoney: 9:12am On Sep 10, 2018
Bizibi:
hehehehehehe.....e go shock you soon,PDP have cracks too but APC own is big and the APC chairman is not helping issues,well not my business.
My brother don't mind that zombie typing thrash from his mud house in his villlage
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by epadomo(m): 9:13am On Sep 10, 2018
Me following bumper to bumper...
Re: Governors Move Against Senators (photo) by voye1: 9:19am On Sep 10, 2018
WEB DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT TRAINING – IKEJA & IKOYI CENTERS

Build A Job-Ready Career As Website Developer. Learn to Create Professional & Functional Websites.
Get Tutored and Mentored by Experts who have developed hundreds of Websites, Web/Mobile Apps

What You Get!

- Award of CERTIFICATION after completion of course
- 100% Practical Training from WEB DEVELOPMENT Experts
- Basics of GRAPHICS DESIGN Training
- Unlimited Internet Wi-Fi
- Weekdays and Weekends Trainings

PLUS MORE!

NOTE: THIS OUR GUARANTEE - WE WONT TRAIN YOU THE WAY EVEN SOME OF THE BIGGEST ICT TRAINING CENTERS & NAMES IN NIGERIA DO (THEY USUALLY TEACH NONSENSE, IF YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW) - WE WILL TRAIN AND IMPACT YOU TO BE AN ICT PROFESSIONAL WITH JOB-READY KNOWLEDGE DURING AND AFTER GRADUATION - YES, WITH 1,000% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jigawa empowers 440 women with 1,320 goats — but it’s a loan / How To Tackle Insecurity In Nigeria - Obasanjo / Umahi: Fani-Kayode Is A Liar, He Played No Role In My Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.