Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) (9544 Views)

Free Scholarship For Medical Students: NYU School Of Medicine / Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students / These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 3:03pm On Sep 10, 2018
What is the USMLE?

Hello I am Dr Steve currently about to write STEP 2 CK.
I get lots of questions about this so I hope this will help.

The USMLE, United States Medical Licensing Examination, is the only examination that makes you practice Medicine as a Doctor in the United States.

It has 3 Steps Step 1, 2(CK &CS) & 3. Step 1 tests your understanding of the fundamental principles of Medicine. Step 2CK tests your Clinical knowledge & Step 2 CS tests your Clinical skills. Step 2CK & Step 2CS are separate exams. Step 3 accesses whether you are ready to be an independent Clinician & can also be used for fellowship exams.

It’s better to write Step 1 in 400level, STEP 2 CK & CS after 600level. Take Step 3 after Step 2CS.

You can still write all the exams after you graduate but this is my advice.

The most important thing is to write the exam only when you are fully prepared.

Step 1 Covers 7 Subjects; Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Behavioral Science(with Biostatistics), Pharmacology, Microbiology & Pathology.

Step 2 covers Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, O&G, Psychiatry & Epidemiology.

Step 3 covers practice concepts of general medicine/family medicine

Start Preparing for Step 1 in 200level, Step 2 in 400level. So that you are fresh and you don’t spend extra years preparing for it after you graduate & you will also be ahead in your class. Also be very serious with your course work as this will make the exam easier and also give you an edge.

Step 1 & Step 2Ck costs :N327,600($910) Step 2 CS Costs N568,095($1,565) Step 3 costs N306,000($850). *Note that this varies depending on the exchange rates.

To know more go to [url]usmle.com.ng[/url]
To register go to [url]ecfmg.org[/url]

You can ask any question by replying to this thread.

WhatsApp group for those interested; please join ONLY if you are writing the USMLE; https:///BumjOez4c9oHFGVr4qgsk7

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by GdexFolami(m): 4:22pm On Sep 10, 2018
Wow
Kudos sir ,I think I'll love this thread
I'm in 200L MBBS
I wish you success in your remaining exams thou
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 5:18pm On Sep 10, 2018
GdexFolami:
Wow
Kudos sir ,I think I'll love this thread
I'm in 200L MBBS
I wish you success in your remaining exams thou

I'm happy for you actually you are still very fresh. If you want to write the exam I'll advise you to start preparing now & take Step 1 in 400level. It becomes easier & you also do much better in medical school. If you are on a budget just get First Aid USMLE Step 1, its the cornerstone of Step 1 preparation.

You can get all the materials at [url]usmle.com.ng[/url]
& register at [url]ecfmg.org[/url]

3 Likes

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
If you are on a very tight budget & you need to get one book:

For Step 1 Get: First Aid For Step 1 2018.

For Step 2 Get: Master the Boards Step 2.

For Step 3 Get; Master the Boards Step 3.

In addition you also need to practise questions & the most used is U-World.

These are not optimal but might do if you are on a very tight budget.

All the materials can be gotten at [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] & you can also connect with other members writing the exams.

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by GdexFolami(m): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2018
Okay boss
Thank you very much....
But hope it won't affect one's academic performance in school?
So if one passes all the exams ,what's the next step?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 12:10am On Sep 11, 2018
GdexFolami:
Okay boss
Thank you very much....
But hope it won't affect one's academic performance in school?
So if one passes all the exams ,what's the next step?

No, as a matter of fact it will boost your academic performance if you study diligently, because the USMLE resources are very good.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Acecube(m): 5:26am On Sep 11, 2018
benjola2222:
What is the USMLE?

Hello I am Dr Steve currently about to write STEP 2 CK.
I get lots of questions about this so I hope this will help.

The USMLE, United States Medical Licensing Examination, is the only examination that makes you practice Medicine as a Doctor in the United States.

It has 3 Steps Step 1, 2(CK &CS) & 3. Step 1 tests your understanding of the fundamental principles of Medicine. Step 2CK tests your Clinical knowledge & Step 2 CS tests your Clinical skills. Step 2CK & Step 2CS are separate exams. Step 3 accesses whether you are ready to be an independent Clinician & can also be used for fellowship exams.

It’s better to write Step 1 in 400level, STEP 2 CK & CS after 600level. Take Step 3 after Step 2CS.

You can still write all the exams after you graduate but this is my advice.

The most important thing is to write the exam only when you are fully prepared.

Step 1 Covers 7 Subjects; Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Behavioral Science(with Biostatistics), Pharmacology, Microbiology & Pathology.

Step 2 covers Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, O&G, Psychiatry & Epidemiology.

Step 3 covers practice concepts of general medicine/family medicine

Start Preparing for Step 1 in 200level, Step 2 in 400level. So that you are fresh and you don’t spend extra years preparing for it after you graduate & you will also be ahead in your class. Also be very serious with your course work as this will make the exam easier and also give you an edge.

Step 1 & Step 2Ck costs :N327,600($910) Step 2 CS Costs N568,095($1,565) Step 3 costs N306,000($850). *Note that this varies depending on the exchange rates.

To know more go to usmle.com.ng
To register go to ecfmg.org

You can ask any question by replying to this thread.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2018
[quote author=Acecube post=71090737][/quote]

Hello, Acecube do you have any questions to ask?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by GdexFolami(m): 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2018
Pls do scores in these exams matter for placement in residency or if you can just pass that's all..huh?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2018
GdexFolami:
Pls do scores in these exams matter for placement in residency or if you can just pass that's all..huh?

The Scores are extremely important. You need it to get a very good placement especially if you are going for something very competitive. Also, your grades in your medical school are also important. Aim for the best scores only take the exam when you are fully prepared.

Note that only Step 1 & Step 2Ck are scored. Step 2CS & Step 3 are both Pass/Fail. So it is extremely important you get a very high score in Step 1 & Step 2 CK.

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by GdexFolami(m): 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2018
benjola2222:

The Scores are extremely important. You need it to get a very good placement especially if you are going for something very competitive. Also, your grades in your medical school are also important. Aim for the best scores only take the exam when you are fully prepared.

Note that only Step 1 & Step 2Ck are scored. Step 2CS & Step 3 are both Pass/Fail. So it is extremely important you get a very high score in Step 1 & Step 2 CK.

wow
Thank you boss
May God bless you
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2018
GdexFolami:
wow
Thank you boss
May God bless you

You are welcome
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Acecube(m): 5:01pm On Sep 11, 2018
benjola2222:

Hello, Acecube do you have any questions to ask?
Not yet boss
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 5:16pm On Sep 11, 2018
Acecube:
Not yet boss

Okay
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 10:33pm On Sep 12, 2018
Anyone interested can ask me any question...hit me up by replying to this thread...
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Potatoguy(m): 10:43pm On Sep 12, 2018
Pls Mr Benjoola, can I get your Email address?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by hizeeksheun(m): 12:30am On Sep 13, 2018
Pls can u create a WhatsApp group or something of such
I am also in 200L, Unilorin...I plan to take step 1 in 400L like u said but pls around when is it usually done(month). Thank u sir.
nd I will also appreciate if I can get ur WhatsApp contact...
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 5:18am On Sep 13, 2018
Potatoguy:
Pls Mr Benjoola, can I get your Email address?

Really you don't need my email address, anything you need concerning the exam you can get on [url]usmle.com.ng[/url], they helped me while I was preparing for my exam. [url]ecfmg.org[/url] handles registration.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 5:20am On Sep 13, 2018
hizeeksheun:

I am also in 200L, Unilorin...I plan to take step 1 in 400L like u said
but pls around when is it usually done(month). Thank u sir.

We can always chat here, the exam is not like JAMB o, you can write Step 1 exam on any day you choose, except on public

You should have actually gotten materials by now, especially First Aid USMLE Step 1, 2018 (current year) one of the things people get wrong are the materials to use, I can advise you on that..
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 5:24am On Sep 13, 2018
[quote author=Potatoguy post=71146793]Pls Mr Benjoola, can I get your Email address
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 5:35am On Sep 13, 2018
hizeeksheun:

I am also in 200L, Unilorin...I plan to take step 1 in 400L like u said
but pls around when is it usually done(month). Thank u sir.

As per the Whatsapp group, I think there is a community of USMLE takers on [url]usmle.com.ng[/url], you can register there..
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 10:29am On Sep 13, 2018
adelana376:
can u create a group or something of such
I am also in 200L, Unilorin...I plan to take step 1 in 400L like u said but
pls around when is it usually done(month). Thank u sir.
nd I will also appreciate if I can get ur contact....

I can create a group, but believe me, the most important thing is actually for you to start preparing for the exam, get acquainted with First Aid as soon as possible & also get other books [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] will help you with that, there is even a group you can join there.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 10:43am On Sep 13, 2018
adelana376:

I already answered this question, Step 1 can be done anytime you choose except public holidays.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 7:50pm On Sep 13, 2018
adelana376:

Send an e-mail to me, Ill give you my contact.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 6:44am On Sep 14, 2018
tujuka176:

Like I said, 200L is the best time to start preparing for the exam
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 12:24pm On Sep 14, 2018
I have some books I have used,

High Yield;
Embryology
Immunology
Cell & Molecular Biology
Neuroanatomy
Behavioral Science
Gross Anatomy
BRS Physiology,
First Aid Q & A USMLE Step 1
First Aid Cases USMLE Step 1
Rapid Review Pathology, Goljan
Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Qbook

I got all these books from [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] but I don’t need them anymore as I have written the exam already, if you are interested send an email, abayomii@icloud.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 8:32pm On Sep 14, 2018
The best all-round book for Step 1 is First Aid USMLE Step 1.

Then for specific subjects;

Anatomy; Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple
Physiology; BRS Physiology, Physeo
Biochemistry; Rapid Review Biochemistry, Lippincott Biochemistry
Pathology; Rapid Review Pathology, Pathoma
Microbiology; Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
Pharmacology; Pharmacology Flash Cards, Lippincott Pharmacology
Behavioural Science; BRS, High Yield, Clinical Biostatistics made ridiculously simple.

Another option is to get all the Kaplan Books and just get First Aid. But because Pathoma & Physeo are very good I will also recommend.

All the High Yield Books are also very good.

Then for questions, the most used is Uworld, though Kaplan, USMLE Rx, were also very good for my preparation.

the most important thing is to use as many materials as possible. You can never read enough.

I got all my materials from [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] then when you are ready register at [url]ecfmg.org[/url], [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] can also guide you through the registration process.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 1:17pm On Sep 15, 2018
Reply to this thread for any question or share this thread with anyone you know...
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 11:49pm On Sep 25, 2018
For Step 2CK, use Master the Boards & Uworld.

Try to use the latest Uworld.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by fayded(m): 3:04am On Sep 26, 2018
Good day sir...
I would like to know between usmle and plab..which is better please..
and a the stories we hear about then not giving Africans residency spot.. even after passing usmle.. is it really true??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Good Are You? Rewrite This Sentece Lets See. / NECO Releases SSCE Results, 878,925 Get Credits In English And Mathematics / Osun State College Of Health Technology, Ilesa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.