Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs (282 Views)

Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States / Obasanjo Urges Yahaya Bello To Sustain Fight Against Criminality (Picture) / Ex President Obasanjo Urges West African Governments To Decriminalize Drugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs by eroticecstasy: 10:29am On Sep 12, 2018
By Aaron Ross

West African governments should overhaul their drug laws to decriminalise personal use and prioritise treatment as a response to rising substance abuse in the region, former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo said on Tuesday.

In an interview before he was due to present a model drug law to regional officials in Senegal, Obasanjo urged authorities to channel resources into fighting large-scale trafficking, which he said was undermining regional democracy.

The use of substances like cocaine, heroin and amphetamines is rising in West Africa despite strict drugs laws. Countries that once served primarily as transit points for trade between South America and Europe are now active consumer markets.

"All of us in West Africa know now that drugs are not just in transit through our countries. Our youth are becoming more and more consumers, even some form of drugs are being produced," Obasanjo said.

In 2016, the last year for which data was available, Africa registered the second-highest growth in cocaine seizures behind Asia, according to the United Nations. Abuse of opioids, particularly the cheap painkiller Tramadol, has become a major health crisis in Nigeria and neighbouring countries.

The recommendations by Obasanjo's West Africa Commission on Drugs come as a number of countries look to decriminalise drug use, especially marijuana, after decades of enforcement appear to have done little to curb it.

Canada legalised recreational marijuana in June and most U.S. states have legalised the drug for medical or recreational use. Prominent political figures have also called for decriminalisation in Mexico and Brazil in recent years.

"PRISON DOES NOT REFORM"

Obasanjo's commission has only an advisory role and it is up to national governments, often reluctant to scrap longstanding drug regulations, to decide whether to accept its proposals.

Obasanjo served twice as Nigeria's head of state: once as a military ruler in the 1970s and then again as a democratically-elected president from 1999-2007. Drug enforcement was strict during both his stints in office.

But he cited his own encounters with drug offenders during a stint in Nigerian prison in the 1990s under the dictatorship of Sani Abacha as he urged governments to find alternatives to incarceration.

"Prison does not reform. If anything it hardens," he said.

Obasanjo named Senegal and Ghana as two countries that are moving to expand treatment options. Senegal has since 2014 opened centres to treat addicts, while Ghana is considering a proposal to exempt first-time offenders from prison terms.

But criminal syndicates, human traffickers and jihadist groups are profiting from the drug trade, he said. In some cases, politicians in Nigeria and elsewhere are using the proceeds to finance political careers, he added.

"(I) fear that they may be creeping into our fledgling democracy and political life," Obasanjo said.

MSN News

Re: Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs by id911(m): 10:30am On Sep 12, 2018
I'm still unable to understand why 'igbo' is banned while alcohol and cigarettes are not. This drug (Igbo) is very useful, with excellent medicinal and healing properties. I grind the seeds and mix with my hair cream and have great result.

I don't smoke it, never want to. Our forefathers who were uneducated new the efficacy of some of these herbs and used them effectively in the treatment of most tropical diseases. The so-called educated children decided to discard them while simultaneously depend on foreigners for help.

I still remember in those days how sick people who doctors couldn't treat in the hospital were brought to my grand father, he would enter the bush, cut some leaves, mixed them together, used it to treat the patience and pronto, they are well again.

Black man has a long way to go
Re: Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs by Hopebringer: 10:32am On Sep 12, 2018
One of the most intelligent former presidents Nigeria had ever had
Re: Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 12, 2018
Re: Former Nigerian Leader Obasanjo Urges West African Govts. To Decriminalize Drugs by gaby(m): 10:43am On Sep 12, 2018
Experience is the best lecturer Baba....

Shebi na banger to banger...baba
Na me be intellectual..baba

Are you a politician or know anyone running for an elective position, one who cares about the youths and their well being in his State/ Constituency? Are you an NGO, an individual or business organisation who would want to make an impression on the youths by way of your CSR while also having an opportunity to create an image for yourself, business and organisation as one who refused to watch and not take action while the youths are wasting away. You have an opportunity to order for customised copies of my book in my signature. I am offering you a chance to put a picture of you or your organisation with the words" copy sponsored and supported by you/organisation" for distribution as you desire.
There is no better way to get your campaign statement or vision out there than through this book. There is no smarter way to advertise your business than this opportunity.
My contact is on my profile. Spread the word and let's take a stand and leave an indelible mark on the sands of history.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Sacks Acting DSS DG, Seiyefa, Appoints New DG / Photos: Troops Kill Seven Boko Haram Terrorists, Recover Weapons / On This Jagaban Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.