Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,219 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) (13360 Views)

EFCC Arraigns Ex-banker For Stealing Customer's Money (Photo) / EFCC Arrests Banker For Stealing Customer's Money (Photo) / How Inspector Shot, Killed Complainant Over Money (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by FlirtyGist: 4:07am On Sep 13, 2018
A school dropout, Owolabi Ogunwande, who reportedly attempted to kill himself twice, has been declared wanted after allegedly absconding with a tricycle and money belonging to a trader in the Surulere area of Lagos State.

The Oyan, Osun State indigene, who came to Lagos on March 5, 2018, had reportedly tried hanging himself with a rope he found on a bridge at CMS, Lagos Island, on June 28.

He was, however, rescued by a security operative at the Toll Gate, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

After he was handed over to the police at the Maroko division, he allegedly attempted to commit suicide again in the cell before he was arraigned at the Igbosere Magistrate’s Court.

At the court, the 27-year-old reportedly said life had no meaning to him again and he was frustrated.

PUNCH Metro learnt that an octogenarian, who read his story, was moved with pity and offered to help him.

A source said some officials of a government agency assisted in securing Ogunwande’s release from court.

The source said, “When he was charged to court, the agency was approached by an 85-year-old woman, who said she was interested in helping him. The woman said she believed he probably had mental issues.

“Meanwhile, a non-governmental organisation, which also showed interest in his case, assisted in taking him to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, where he was committed to a mental ward for two weeks. The NGO paid about N80,000 per week to check his mental state.

“After he was certified fit, the court released him and the elderly woman, who had offered to help him, took him to her house in Ikoyi. The woman put him in a mechanic workshop where he was an apprentice and she gave him N500 every day for transport. The woman also gave him a good room and fed him twice a day.

“However, after a week, Ogunwande started complaining that the woman was making him to suffer. One night, he ran away from the woman’s house.”

PUNCH Metro gathered that a government worker took him to a church where he was welcome.

Some of the church members reportedly donated cash and clothing materials to the 27-year-old after he spoke to them.

The woman who took him to the church and asked not to be identified, told our correspondent that a day after Ogunwande arrived in the church, he approached a trader in the neighbourhood and offered to assist her with her wares.

“As of this time, the NGO that paid for his medical bills at LUTH was still giving him N1,500 per day for his upkeep. The NGO had also offered to take him in that Sunday since he was no longer comfortable with the elderly woman.

“On Saturday, while he claimed to be running errand for the trader around the church, he disappeared with the woman’s tricycle, goods and money,” she said.

The trader, Mrs Abiola Osidele, who had a warehouse in Adeniran Ogunsanya, Surulere, said she could not believe that Ogunwande absconded with her goods.

She said, “I have a warehouse in the area where I sell and distribute soft drinks to customers. He met me on Thursday and said he could drive my tricycle and assist to distribute the drinks.

“On the first day, he went with the boy working for me and they both returned with the proceeds of the goods. On Friday, they went together as well to supply goods at an event and returned with the money.

“On Saturday, my worker was not around, so he said he could go and deliver an order for me. He went and did not return. The place he went to deliver the goods is around Bode Thomas area of Surulere. When I went to enquire from my customers, they said they saw him till around 8pm.

“He went with a full supply of goods, my tricycle and over N100,000. He was very jovial, respectful and cheerful. I never believed he could do this to me.”

PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect’s phone number had not been reachable since then.

Our correspondent was told that the case was reported at the Bode Tomas Police Station.

“When the DPO saw his picture, he immediately said the boy’s look suggested he was a criminal and he had only been pretending and bidding his time.

“Again, none of his family members have been forthcoming. When we called his uncle before he fled and we told him that Ogunwande wanted to kill himself, the man said he should go ahead. The uncle said he had been a thorn in his flesh and when he was coming to Lagos, he (uncle) worked for many days to raise N2,000 for his transport because he (Ogunwande) said he wanted a better life.

“He claimed to be an orphan and said he had been saddled with the responsibility of catering to his aged grandmother who was sick in the village,” another source said.

Our correspondent learnt that the tricycle, which had a built-in container for goods, was newly bought by the trader and it had yet to be registered.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, confirmed the incident.

He said, “He left with a Keke Marwa loaded with goods worth about N100,000. The suspect had attempted suicide in the past. We are still investigating the incident. We want members of the public to be on the lookout for him. Because of his records of attempting suicide in the past, we are not just looking at a case of stealing, but we are afraid he may have also killed himself. So, people should also inform the police if they find any unidentified corpse. We hope that he is safe.”

News source >>> http://gistmore.com/rescued-suicidal-youth-disappears-good-samaritans-goods-money

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by FlirtyGist: 4:08am On Sep 13, 2018
cool
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by TDonald: 4:30am On Sep 13, 2018
which kain yeye long news be this

BTW

Afonja Amaka Ajoka

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Birdyclear: 4:32am On Sep 13, 2018
Is better he die so that there will be more mineable skull for them ndi ofe nmanu... Af..on..ja on the wheel of steel

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by FlirtyGist: 5:05am On Sep 13, 2018
Lalasticlala
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by ORACLE1975(m): 5:27am On Sep 13, 2018
This one wik mi no bi small grin grin grin
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Chicagoesontop: 5:44am On Sep 13, 2018
Wonders shall never end
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Chicagoesontop: 5:51am On Sep 13, 2018
I won't comment anything,because i am not here for tribal brouhaha !!

5 Likes

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by chiagozien(m): 9:16am On Sep 13, 2018
Yellowbars and crime are like 5 and 6

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by DaniDani(m): 10:57am On Sep 13, 2018
This is the reason some people decline to offer help.A society like ours will continue to suffer and will not see the light of the day. This means that shine your light for everyone to see isn't for our kind of society.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 13, 2018
grin

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by muhammed50(m): 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2018
Nice move!
To get yaself killed with the new acquisition!
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by tstx(m): 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2018
I love my country jare :DI live my country jare
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 13, 2018
What's the proof that he stole the money

He has probably been kidnapped or something

Stop jumping to conclusions
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by goldenceo1: 12:24pm On Sep 13, 2018
This is Nigeria. Everybody na criminal!
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Sirmuel1(m): 12:24pm On Sep 13, 2018
Chai grin
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Urchman27(m): 12:25pm On Sep 13, 2018
Afonja and crime cry

2 Likes

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 13, 2018
DaniDani:
This is the reason some people decline to offer help.A society like ours will continue to suffer and will not see the light of the day. This means that shine your light for everyone to see isn't for our kind of society.

What is this one saying

1 Like

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Agbaletu: 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2018
It is very hard to trust an average Nigerian with your money and properties. If they don't harm you, they will steal from you or even say negative things about you.

11 Likes

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Agbaletu: 12:29pm On Sep 13, 2018
DaniDani:
You are very correct.

1 Like

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Amberon: 12:30pm On Sep 13, 2018
grin
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Divay22(f): 12:31pm On Sep 13, 2018
cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by millionboi2: 12:36pm On Sep 13, 2018
Hmmmmm
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by BizLifeE: 12:36pm On Sep 13, 2018
That's why it's sometimes foolish to hep idiots.

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by itiswellandwell: 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2018
Hmm
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by adewumiopeyemi(m): 12:42pm On Sep 13, 2018
May God help us. cry cry
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by RexTramadol1: 12:43pm On Sep 13, 2018
Nawa to this boy o

Fortunate unfortunate being.
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by jojo1415: 12:44pm On Sep 13, 2018
Wetin concern us!! grin grin

Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Sleekfingers: 12:44pm On Sep 13, 2018
And anybody think he is okay. I don't think he is...
Re: Rescued Suicidal Youth Disappears With Helper's Tricycle And Money (Photo) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 13, 2018
Agbaletu:
It is very hard to trust an average Nigerian with your money and properties. If they don't harm you, they will steal from you or even say negative things about you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Suspected Rapists, Don-chima George And Olusegun Rasak, Arraigned In Court (pic) / James Maduakolam Amadi Declared Wanted By Court For N3m Fraud / Police In Rivers Arrest 7 Kidnappers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.