Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

My Experience Working For A One Man Business - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience Working For A One Man Business (29355 Views)

Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Experience Working For A One Man Business / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 13, 2018
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

354 Likes 20 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by BIAFRONIGERIAN(m): 8:01pm On Sep 13, 2018
This is Nigeria bro

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by alterswerve(m): 9:06pm On Sep 13, 2018
ceeroh Could you reach me in any way if you're living in Lagos and specifically around Aguda..
That's if you haven't gotten a job yet

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Fireson: 9:40pm On Sep 13, 2018
alterswerve:
ceeroh Could you reach me in any way if you're living in Lagos and specifically around Aguda..
Pls I'm in need Of a job.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Auladimeji(m): 3:44am On Sep 14, 2018
I will never pity especially if you are a commercial student

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 5:47am On Sep 14, 2018
Auladimeji:
I will never pity especially if you are a commercial student

Too late grin
No one needs to be pitied. Take charge of your life. I'm just trying to reveal what most people go through everyday. And by the way, I'm not a commercial student but wasn't that too harsh on them with your statement?

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by LordsApostle: 6:40am On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.
pathetic men, I can relate with this. This is Nigeria where there are no laws, else people like that have no place running business, I don't understand why people are just so heartless and wicked, it is really heart wrenching you know, it's saddening... You don't see this any other place. Blacks are just evil.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Hisduchess(f): 8:50am On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:

I can perfectly relate to this. infact I once worked in such a place here in anambra.our boss is the kind that never appreciates good.He trust people that dupe and steal his money than someone who is sincere with finances. at my own dept we were two but the other girl has been with him prior to me coming therin i people come and leaves but the girl stays.when I came in I found out that the the Lady was just there to make money.the day I saw her account balance I was damn shocked.the funny thing is that if u see where she is doing eye service for the boss u will marvel.me being a graduate was a problem to her and the boss too cos everytime he is quick to remind me how unfortunate I was to come work for him after going to uni.he once said that what's the need of my good results if I still came back to work for him that has "passing six" the man's bad mouth no be here ooo, his words can make u go into depresssion aswear.i endured that shii about 11 months till a day he told me so many unprintable things for a mistake that was done by another person infact the person who made the mistake acknowledged that i was not to be blamed but the man choose to insult me
for reasons best known to him.God being so kind my salary was long overdue yet he hasnt paid me so i kukuma told him to give me my money and off i left and sincerely I dont have any regrets till today.So @op just be optimistic and always hustle hard and legitimately, one day u ll look back and thank God that u left that coven called job.

Bless up!!!

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by DESAN(f): 9:27am On Sep 14, 2018
[quote author=alterswerve post=71174442]ceeroh Could you reach me in any way if you're living in Lagos and specifically around Aguda..
That's if you haven't gotten a job yet. Am in need of a job too please I reside in surulere.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Highex: 10:27am On Sep 14, 2018
alterswerve:
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by angelboy01(m): 10:31am On Sep 14, 2018
Bro I am so happy you resigned from that job, The funny thing is that if you are working for someone you are only building their own dreams. They will make sure that person doesn't amount to anything. I have faced worse even got slapped while working for a guy at a Cafe on wrong accusations, he didn't apologize even after knowing the truth. That made me really angry and I had to Resign. When I told my guys they were really angry with me for not punching him unto say I be bad guy but no be everthing be fight. The guy later called and said why wasn't I at office and I told him I resigned, he was like whay the F**K. You didn't even drop a resignation letter. That was when my head sparked, I rained abuses on him and called him names. Do you believe that the Nigga started to apologize. After a month the cafe was closed down because no one wanted to work with him due to his attitude. I also worked with him for a month or so because me I no DE take shit. I am happy that am blessed now. All of this happened when I was still schooling at ilorin and I did all that just bro make extra cash. In conclusion I am happy that you are learning something to better yourself. If you are going to work for someone, make some money and build your own dreams. Bless you bro and have a lovely day

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by seasy: 11:23am On Sep 14, 2018
I can relate. It can be draining. You want to really put in your best for their business to excel but they don't show appreciation.They insult and humiliate you at every opportunity.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Jamestown123: 12:24pm On Sep 14, 2018
This Lagos ehhh if u really want to work for someone then be prepared to be used like a slave, that's y am trying all my best to gather myself and pack out of Nigeria. Thank God bet9ja dey deliver small with time now I go Wizz.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by 1899Milan: 12:31pm On Sep 14, 2018
Sadly, this is how most of those one man businesses operate. If they aren't abusing staff, they're belittling each infront of the other just to create an "i like you better" atmosphere while still appearing just...to what end? Toxic work place politics.

17 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by alterswerve(m): 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2018
Highex:

Hi alterswerve,
I could use a job too. I stay around Aguda.

Replied your mail

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by alterswerve(m): 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2018
[quote author=DESAN post=71185820][/quote]

Replied your mail
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by alterswerve(m): 12:44pm On Sep 14, 2018
Highex:

Hi alterswerve,
I could use a job too. I stay around Aguda.

Replied your mail
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Uyi168: 12:53pm On Sep 14, 2018
Please peeps Should avoid quoting the whole thing naaaa....

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by BigbamoAYO(m): 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2018
noble234:
It's well with your soul bro. But you actually stylishly looking for offers here with this post cheesy.

Anyways, since U said U wanna learn some digital skills to boost your CV, I specialize in Computer Graphics - Design, Video and Animation.

My website - www.creativestudioone.com

I can give you some trainings at affordable prices.

Thanks.

Hope you gonna be a good Oga,
Wanna start frm level 1, hope am welcome
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by brian91(m): 2:16pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:

Well, maybe. But I just needed to pour out my mind. As for the skills, I'm learning already. Thanks

Sir.. May I ask if you self-coaching yourself on those graphics with videos? Would appreciate if you could share some with me at olabrian@yahoo.com. Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by dingbang(m): 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2018
yeah i had a boss like that, i resigned, i didnt bother taking salary.

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by seasy: 3:12pm On Sep 14, 2018
1899Milan:
Sadly, this is how most of those one man businesses operate. If they aren't abusing staff, they're belittling each infront of the other just to create an "i like you better" atmosphere while still appearing just...to what end? Toxic work place politics.

Exactly how my Boss behaves.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Windflower(f): 8:01pm On Sep 14, 2018
alterswerve:
Please Sir, I need one too. I stay in surulere.
Can I send you a pm
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by thedondada(m): 8:10pm On Sep 14, 2018
Lol.

Many of them niggas are crazy employers but so many crazy employee out there too.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by KBdownloads(m): 8:10pm On Sep 14, 2018
I wonder how people endure this sort of bullcrap for so long

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by KBdownloads(m): 8:11pm On Sep 14, 2018
I wonder how people endure this sort of bullcrap for so long

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by FarahAideed: 8:13pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:

You didn't tell us what kind of Businessthe firm was into

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVID-19: MTN Staff To Start Working From Home Monday / How Much And How Do You Save From Work Every Month / 5 Easy Ways To Position Yourself For The Right Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.