Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,081 members, 7,835,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

My Experience Working For A One Man Business - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience Working For A One Man Business (29438 Views)

Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Experience Working For A One Man Business / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by mummyson26(m): 9:06pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:
I resigned from my job 2months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake. When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves. As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response He said if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then? Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends grin, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.
This is what I wen through working for a son of one of the richest man in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 14, 2018
stubbornman:
Some of you shouting " One man business is demonic" will also do worse when you set up your own.....!!!!

Nigeria is a stupid country tho.... where every boss thinks he's doing his/her staff a favour

You're right to an extent. But how do you expect the company to grow when the owner keeps behaving like a crackhead.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 14, 2018
teacherbim:
Omg! my husband is going through a lot with one useless private company, they are owing him for the the past 5months now, so bad my darling husband doesn't know what to do. MSc holder. I pray God open his eyes. I thank God I hv another source of income.

This man will make sure you exhaust all your previous salary before paying you the next one. It doesn't matter how long it takes you grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by fashrules: 9:11pm On Sep 14, 2018
I can relate with this 100%. Had a similar terrible experience with this firm with its main offc at 60 Francis Okediji Street, Bodija, Ibadan. #ifyouknowyouknow.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by captainamiedi1: 9:12pm On Sep 14, 2018
these made me remember how my ex boss took his family and travel abroad and we where not paid for two months. all we hear is no money. oga carry all d money go flex and we are here hustling day and night, Monday to Sunday just for d man to withdrawal d money and travel for holiday.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 14, 2018
brian91:

Sir.. May I ask if you self-coaching yourself on those graphics with videos? Would appreciate if you could share some with me at olabrian@yahoo.com. Thanks bro

Sure! I'll forward the videos to you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by drezzyx(m): 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2018
Mine is not like that , just that my salary is stagnant and he doesn't pay in full, am even planning on quitting since it doesn't favour me..

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2018
FarahAideed:

You didn't tell us what kind of Businessthe firm was into

Facility management,
Industrial Cleaning and Outsourcing services

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by uuzba(m): 9:19pm On Sep 14, 2018
stubbornman:
Some of you shouting " One man business is demonic" will also do worse when you set up your own.....!!!!

Nigeria is a stupid country tho.... where every boss thinks he's doing his/her staff a favour

The boss main duty Is how to earn money MORE than spend it.
Most youth here are very good at SPENDING money more than earning it. So they cannot be bosses. Because they cannot have the money to pay anybody's salary. They are too enticed with little luxuries, shoe, watch, internet ...They will forget they have staff salary to pay.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Funkybabee(f): 9:19pm On Sep 14, 2018
Bro it ain't easy!! I don't pray to work with a one man business again, u will work for them even expect u to work for their family apart of their bad talk unkor....

What I shaa know is That one day one day I will have my own business and this will be a history

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by DFSH(m): 9:21pm On Sep 14, 2018
[color=#990000][/color]I am waiting for someone to tell us why business owners put on this attitude. I have had similar experience. Could this be fear or something? Pls lets have another view of this matter. angry

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by uuzba(m): 9:23pm On Sep 14, 2018
Funkybabee:
Bro it ain't easy!! I don't pray to work with a one man business again, u will work for them even expect u to work for their family apart of their bad talk unkor....

What I shaa know is That one day one day I will have my own business and this will be a history

French.
You will have your business and you will do better than this one man boss person? Is it not still here in Nigeria?
-
You better learn how to cope with difficulties. Instead of browsing internet here and talking about "one day one day". Make your plans now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 14, 2018
DFSH:
[color=#990000][/color]I am waiting for someone to tell us why business owners put on this attitude. I have had similar experience. Could this be fear or something? Pls lets have another view of this matter. angry

Most times its Insecurity, Greed and Selfishness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by teacherbim(f): 9:26pm On Sep 14, 2018
LoJ:
Please what is the meaning of "one man business"?

Never heard of such in my life. Is it a Nigerian slang to refer to sole proprietorship? (i.e a company that belongs totally to a single person)
Yes

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by uuzba(m): 9:26pm On Sep 14, 2018
DFSH:

Your answer in in doing.
Go and hire a house boy. Take your home as a business where comfort is produced for you and your family. Your staff is houseboy.
Now pay him his just wages. And see if you can do so without dehumanizing him. That is the answer to your question

Make sure to keep him as long as possible
Do all the salary increase, Christmas, 13th month.
Make sure he goes on leave.
Make sure he only works 8am to 3pm.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 14, 2018
During Staff meeting nko? You dare not utter a word. He says everything from the beginning to the end. Insult you join.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by icogb: 9:28pm On Sep 14, 2018
dairykidd:
Op i can totally relate.. My former boss was even worse of because the contract he got at the airport was running into hundreds of millions but he would still underpay staffs, fûck female staffs, sack / suspend u indefinitely at the slightest chance. He finally got at me when one stupid female staff he was fûcking told him i was into ticket racketeering which i don't even concern myself with.. In reality the lower staffs under my supervision mostly Egbira(kogi) ganged up with this girl because according to them i too wicked & i dey carry the work for head. I was on my off day when my friend the manager called me to tell me i had been suspended indefinitely.. Wow & i was even down with fever that period. Just like that i spent weeks at home but i never relied totally on my salary so i had other things doing which even gave me more time for myself & money too. So after about 6weeks i was called back. I came back first day & the junior staffs involved were faking sympathy & bs but i wasn't even concerned i played along... After the first week i wasn't even feeling the job anymore & this îdîot boss was just sacking & replacing staffs both high & low.. Funny enough he wasn't really based in Abuja though he had a house & a wife he just married.. Mind u he has another wife & this recent wife used to be the secretary at the office. The work just seemed stûpid as anyone can have his number & call him to fault u for things as flimsy as trying to dicipline the staffs or correct them because those Egbirra people na them plenty pass for airport & them stubborn die. I just stopped coming to work to face my own stuff cos i have seen what this does to people.. Before u know time done go & u never achieve jack working for an ungrateful punk.. He called me on phone & i literally told him to shove it. It disn't take long & all the senior staffs in the admin including the manager were all sacked for no good reasons.. Working under such people is like living in hell with no way out.. I am better now doing my thing & equipping/ upgrading myself for the future... Those guys are dream killers i swear.
My brother fear Idoma, Kogi and Plateau pple

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by themanderon: 9:28pm On Sep 14, 2018
Truth is the black man is inadequate. So in order to feel good with himself he has to make others to feel inadequate. Wickedness runs in his veins.

12 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by FarahAideed: 9:31pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:

Facility management,
Industrial Cleaning and Outsourcing services

Okay thanks bro
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by icogb: 9:32pm On Sep 14, 2018
dairykidd:

My brother those people.. Get as God create them oo especially the females i don't pray to have anything with them ever. I hate involving tribe or ethnicity in anything but these people my guy.. Their way na one way
Exactly

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by FrankTalk1: 9:35pm On Sep 14, 2018
Working for other people first before starting your own business has many advantages. It helps you to learn how to treat your employees better as you knew how you felt when you were treated badly while working for others.

See 7 INDISPENSABLE TIPS THAT WILL HELP YOU START AND SUCCEED IN ANY BUSINESS.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Yomit71(m): 9:40pm On Sep 14, 2018
naso my boss dey behave too, i make sure she pay my salary & quit the fucking job for her, wat gra gra for?
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by icogb: 9:40pm On Sep 14, 2018
uuzba:

As a business owner how do you handle this task.
You have managed to finally get a contract.
Now your phone is ringing left right and center. WhatsApp and emails left and right. You are a typical Nigerian. You have 2 or more phones.
When driving your car, the phones never stop. All the calls are important. All relate to different aspects of the project.
You realise that you van easily have an accident driving and answering WhatsApp.
-
Do you take public transport? No. You don't want to discuss confidential info in public.
Do you use Uber? No your designation might change on the fly. Uber has to go one way. You need to hire a car for a whole day. But you already have a car.
You close eye and hire a driver.
But this guy is asking for xyz salary. Do you pay? How good is he?
He may bash your car and run. He is going to overhear all your discussions when he's driving you about.

Your car has problems, tire, radiator, Keke hit ibe side. Vehicle license.... Do you leave the key with this guy driver to fix?
Messages are piling up on your WhatsApp, emails. You have not responded. Food? You have been eating properly.
Starting a business in Nigeria is not easy.
It is easy to condemn the boss when you are not one. You have no idea what is passing through his mind.

Most of us know how to SPEND money very well. But zero knowledge about how to EARN money.
A bosses duty is to EARN the money. He must spend as little as possible otherwise, it isn't a business. But w major LOSS.
Are you saying dat there are not bosses dat treat their workers well in Nigeria?
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Melison(m): 9:40pm On Sep 14, 2018
kiss
Auladimeji:
I will never pity especially if you are a commercial student
winner of the most useless comment of the year award..

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 14, 2018
icogb:
My brother fear Idoma, Kogi and Plateau pple
Especially Kogi then Idoma, don't really know much Plateau sha just some few good bad girls when dey high pass man cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 14, 2018
ceeroh:

I salute your patience, as for me since NYSC dayz I take no shyt from Nobody, I just obediently listen to all ur rules, instructions as an employer, if they seem unreasonable, I just do whatever da hell I want, I worked with Startimes for few months, the manager keep threatening me that if there is no much sells he will sack me, he shouts alot, which I don't really care though, But the day he Insulted me directly due to some typing error, I told him " if you ever insult me again I will beat the crap out of you" I threw the paper work on his face & left.

And another idiotic company also decided its good idea to pay me 30k while working 8-4, Mondays-saturdays with risk of salary deductions if I fail to meet quotas. They never saw me after the interview. I just decided to jejely concentrate on my shop & poultry business while working part time 3 days a week at my uncles company. Since I need the experience before I open mine

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by magicminister: 9:42pm On Sep 14, 2018
LordsApostle:

pathetic men, I can relate with this. This is Nigeria where there are no laws, else people like that have no place running business, I don't understand why people are just so heartless and wicked, it is really heart wrenching you know, it's saddening... You don't see this any other place. Blacks are just evil.

I'm disappointed to see an educated Man like you make the bolded statement.

Have you been all over the world to see how other people treat their workers??

Are the middle easterns also wicked for beating and even killing their workers??

Are the Chinese (Asians,) also wicked for literally working their workers to death while paying them less than livable wages?

One thing for certain is that there are mean and evil bosses all over the world. It's not just a black thing. Saying things like the bolded part just goes to show you're still a mental slave. Emancipate yourself and love yourself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by icogb: 9:45pm On Sep 14, 2018
stubbornman:

And d staff think they re doin d customers favour. True.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by icogb: 9:45pm On Sep 14, 2018
stubbornman:

And d staff think they re doin d customers favour. True.
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by ephraim18(m): 9:47pm On Sep 14, 2018
I like ur courage bro keep it up. this is wht most of us go through every day in the name of working for oga. I went through the same thing for almos a year and now I thank God I finally quit the damn job.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by oka4ugoo: 9:48pm On Sep 14, 2018
Hisduchess:

I can perfectly relate to this. infact I once worked in such a place here in anambra.our boss is the kind that never appreciates good.He trust people that dupe and steal his money than someone who is sincere with finances. at my own dept we were two but the other girl has been with him prior to me coming therin i people come and leaves but the girl stays.when I came in I found out that the the Lady was just there to make money.the day I saw her account balance I was damn shocked.the funny thing is that if u see where she is doing eye service for the boss u will marvel.me being a graduate was a problem to her and the boss too cos everytime he is quick to remind me how unfortunate I was to come work for him after going to uni.he once said that what's the need of my good results if I still came back to work for him that has "passing six" the man's bad mouth no be here ooo, his words can make u go into depresssion aswear.i endured that shii about 11 months till a day he told me so many unprintable things for a mistake that was done by another person infact the person who made the mistake acknowledged that i was not to be blamed but the man choose to insult me
for reasons best known to him.God being so kind my salary was long overdue yet he hasnt paid me so i kukuma told him to give me my money and off i left and sincerely I dont have any regrets till today.So @op just be optimistic and always hustle hard and legitimately, one day u ll look back and thank God that u left that coven called job.

Bless up!!!
Re: My Experience Working For A One Man Business by millionboi2: 9:49pm On Sep 14, 2018
alterswerve:
ceeroh Could you reach me in any way if you're living in Lagos and specifically around Aguda..
That's if you haven't gotten a job yet
lol.....hope u don't want to move him from hot water to fryin pan

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC / Proud Father Welcomes Lawyer Daughter With Customized Sticker / " Oga At The Top" Shem Obafaiye Excels in His Core Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.