Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,492 members, 7,823,155 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

"Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? (3335 Views)

Did Anyone Ascend Into Heaven Before Jesus Or Not? / Non-muslims Only: Jesus Or Mohammed / Jesus Or Mohammed: A Brief Look At 25 Differences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 9:52pm On Jul 03, 2010
Jesus was the revealed Man - human yet divine. A root out of "DRY" ground. A man full of sorrows, not of any beauty or majesty to attract any to Him, despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows; familiar with suffering. From Him, men hid their faces. A person who was pierced for the transgressions of many, crushed for the iniquities of others.  Because the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him, He preached the good news, He bound up the broken-hearted, He proclaimed freedom to captives, He released prisoners of darkness. He proclaimed the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of the Almighty. He comforted all who mourned, provided for those who grieved, bestowed upon us all a crown of beauty rather than ashes, oil rather than mourning. All He did considered the welfare of others and truth. The poor were His constituency, the down-trodden His friends. He cared not for this world but looked to the coming Glory. Oppressed and afflicted, He was led like a lamb to slaughter.

Christ is the Anointed one - who has triumphed over death and has all power on earth and in Heaven. Called God who sits at the right hand of God. He is the Judge, Lion of Judah, Wonderful Counsellor, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. It is His Kingdom that has no end and He will reign from that time on and forever.

They are the same yet different in a sense: one revealed the other. Which do we serve today? But more importantly, which do we FOLLOW? Are we seeking triumph and power. Do we have plans to become Kings "today" even when Christ Himself became King only AFTER He completed His earthly mission? Or are we built for love, to build up our neighbor as well as ourselves? Do we truly care what happens to others or is this just a means of becoming a "big man".

The life of Jesus and His Apostles shows us a way - They shook off "here" and held on to "there"! Are we following that way or jumping to the finish line (go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200, seems apt here) believing that is the way of God.

Thoughts to ponder on!  kiss
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:03am On Jul 04, 2010
^^^^ Another dichotomy to quarrel over? You guys just keep on creating more and more schizms amongst yourselves, more means of divide to war over. Una no dey taya? Are your lives that empty? Are the holes in your lives so great that you would need endless supply of dramas to fill them up? Jesus weeps for una.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by e36991: 10:34am On Jul 04, 2010
Jenwitemi:

^^^^

Another dichotomy to quarrel over?

You guys just keep on creating more and more schizms amongst yourselves, more means of divide to war over.

Una no dey taya? Are your lives that empty? Are the holes in your lives so great that you would need endless supply of dramas to fill them up?

Jesus weeps for una.

@Jenwitemi

Dichotomy? Yes but mind you without beefing . . .

You've had your say alright albeit it's the usual & familiar typical knee jerk reaction
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by alaper: 11:32am On Jul 04, 2010
What is the truth about Jesus? What is the truth about the Christ? Are they the same truth? Are they the same person? Most people (religious and nonreligious) think of one person to whom they commonly refer as Jesus Christ as though Christ were this person’s surname. wink Christ is not Jesus’ last name but instead is an honorific title. It comes from the Greek word christos. The Greek christos is a translation of the Hebrew word messiah, meaning anointed one. This was the title of leadership given to Israelite kings and priests because they were doused or anointed with oil as a sign of their office. As it pertains to Jesus, he was called Christ as an expression of faith that he had been anointed by God as king and priest. Strictly then, the proper expression should be “Jesus, the Christ” undecided or “Jesus, a.k.a. Christ” cool
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2010
Jenwitemi:

^^^^ Another dichotomy to quarrel over? You guys just keep on creating more and more schizms amongst yourselves, more means of divide to war over. Una no dey taya? Are your lives that empty? Are the holes in your lives so great that you would need endless supply of dramas to fill them up? Jesus weeps for una.

Abi? Our lives are so empty that we seek for things THAT concern us to quarrel over! Sad. Yet how would you compare that to you, seeking things THAT DO NOT concern you to stick your muzzle into? For if I am jobless concerning what concerns me, you then are definitely twice jobless engaging in what does not concern you.

Dude, go get a life that has that meaning you boast of, instead of joining in issues that you say are empty yet occupy your life. Abi na emptiness be your ambition?

Those whom I wrote to, know themselves and understand the issue.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by toluxa1(m): 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2010
I follow JESUS CHRIST.

PS: I don't think there is need for this thread.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by toluxa1(m): 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2010
I follow JESUS CHRIST.

Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 04, 2010
@nuclearboy

whats your aim?

to cause confusion or to spread knowledge? apostates~!
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by e36991: 1:28pm On Jul 04, 2010
toluxa1:

I follow JESUS CHRIST.

@toluxa1

Why not?

Its not like its a hot potato
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by e36991: 1:35pm On Jul 04, 2010
babaearly:

@nuclearboy

whats your aim?

to cause confusion or to spread knowledge? apostates~!

@babaearly

Confusion? Nah, God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints

To spread knowledge? You got that right. Knowlegde: Know-to-have-the-edge naimean

Apostates? Pfft! What you on about . . .
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by toluxa1(m): 1:50pm On Jul 04, 2010
@e36991
Emm. . . I didn't just get any real thing from it. Sounds kind of churchy. Not like the traditional nuclearboy post. Well, maybe because I didn't really go through it. Let me read again. Lol
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by toluxa1(m): 1:51pm On Jul 04, 2010
@e36991
Emm. . . I didn't just get any real thing from it. Sounds kind of churchy. Not like the traditional nuclearboy post. Well, maybe because I didn't really go through it. Let me read again. Lol
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Image123(m): 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2010
What's all these Mars hill talk. Believers are risen with Christ. Division of the church don tire you? Na Christ Himself you wan divide now se? Clap for yourself nuclear.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 5:29pm On Jul 04, 2010
Hello Toluxa:

Long time, no post from you. Or have you moved to other sections?

My point here actually, was the "life and aspirations" of Jesus. His life showed love, sacrifice and a looking ahead unto the other side. A study of the lives of His apostles also show they were not overtly concerned with here but with the other side of eternity. All strove for the betterment of the human and the society. Today, its the other way - we mostly forget we have a model to follow and chase earth at the expense of heaven.

Read this thread then, as a reminder that the focus for the believer is love, sacrifice, a desire to better society as much as possible etc.

@Babaearly:

read the above - what would I gain from apostasy? Again I say, its meant to prick our consciences about what the Christian life is meant to be.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by yommyuk: 6:58am On Jul 05, 2010
"Jesus" Or "? Which are you following?

Interesting cool

Answer : Both - In his 'Divinity' and 'Humanity'

HIS DIVINITY

John 5:25-26
And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it's here now, when the dead will hear my voice - the voice of the son of God. And those who listen will live. The father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his son.

I was dead, now I live by the same life giving power of JESUS CHRIST.

John 11:25-27
Jesus told her,"I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes im me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?"
"Yes lord,"she told him. " I have always believed you are the Messiah, the son of God, the one who has come into the world from God".

Now that I live in christ, I can never ever die. Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will not be afraid. Even if I am attacked, I will remain confident.
JESUS CHRIST IS THE SOURCE OF MY LIFE

1 john 5:13-15
I have written this to you who believe in the name of the son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.

JESUS CHRIST THE " OBJECT OF MY FAITH"

HIS HUMANITY
Romans 1:3-4
The Good News is about his Son. In his earthly life he was born into King David's family line and he was shown to be the Son of God when he was raised from the dead by the power of the holy spirit. He is Jesus Christ our Lord

Colossians 2:8-10
Don't let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high sounding nonsense that comes from human thinking and from the spirtual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. So you are also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.

In unison with Jesus Christ, I have complete and full authority over every principality ,ruler and authority of this evil world

John 1:4-5
The Word gave life to everything that was created and his life brought light to everyone. That light shines in the darkness and the darkness can never extinguish it.

HALELUYAH!!! :HALELUYAH!!!  HALELUYAH!!!
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 10:32am On Jul 05, 2010
cheesy Great. Finally I'm understood! This is all about the "divinity/success over trials" COMBINED WITH "humanity/process of trials".

I may have used wrong words but the concept is looking at life "on this side of eternity" as a function of Jesus' life and the purpose(s) it served i.e. what purpose is OUR own life serving?!
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Image123(m): 12:40am On Jul 06, 2010
1John 4v17 Herein is our love
made perfect, that we may
have boldness in the day of
judgment: because as he is ,
so are we in this world.

Colossians 3v1. If ye then be risen with
Christ, seek those things
which are above
, where
Christ sitteth on the right
hand of God.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by eyzhvntsn: 12:59pm On Jul 06, 2010
Jesus in His humanity walked 3 years on earth as the express image of the Father's person (Heb 1:3) in order to reveal the Father to us

John 14:9-10
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

He taught of and demonstrated the Father's love and care, the Father's mercy, the Father's provision and all that the Father encompasses. What Jesus did in His earthly walk was to demonstrate the walk that befits a SON of God.

I follow both because one reveals the other in me, It is the Spirit that raised Christ from the dead that dwells in me therefore the walk that Jesus had in His humanity I can have.

Rom 8: 2 - 4
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

I triumph over sin.

John 16:33
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I overcome tribulations.

But above all I am an expression of the Father's image. As He is, so am I in this world

So my purpose:

Rom 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Eph 3: 9 b]And to make all men see[/b] what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Nuriel22: 1:08pm On Jul 06, 2010
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by toluxa1(m): 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
@nuclear. Thanks my dear brother.
I totally understand your point now.

I have been around but not as before. I usually just read through cos i'm mostly on mobile and find it heard to post replies, bible verses, quotes, and make them bold for some people who refuse to SEE things. Lol. How is your group doing? Where I am it's quite hard getting people like that to fellowship with so I fellowship with my bible. I come from a very very Churchy family. Many of my friends think I'm a backslider when they see me at home, studying on SUNDAYS. Infact, you can't imagine the kind of 'persecution' I'm going through from family for refusing to member in church. The LORD is my strenght sha.

Shalom
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by e36991: 1:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
toluxa1:

@nuclear.

Thanks my dear brother. I totally understand your point now.

I have been around but not as before.

I usually just read through cos i'm mostly on mobile and find it heard to post replies, bible verses, quotes, and make them bold for some people who refuse to SEE things. grin

How is your group doing? Where I am it's quite hard getting people like that to fellowship with so I fellowship with my bible.

I come from a very very Churchy family. Many of my friends think I'm a backslider when they see me at home, studying on SUNDAYS.

Infact, you can't imagine the kind of 'persecution' I'm going through from family for refusing to member in church. The LORD is my strenght sha.

Shalom

@toluxa1

Organised church is different from organic church

The former you dont have to subscribe to, the latter you already are a member

Dont you see?! You've just had church!!

There. Right here with Nuclearboy today at 01:26:38 PM

Dont let the detractors wear you down

PS: If you you havent already got a bible or need a bible on your mobile, let me know the make and model.

I'll provide you with access to the software and installation instructions
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by eyzhvntsn: 1:59pm On Jul 06, 2010
toluxa1:

@nuclear. Thanks my dear brother.
I totally understand your point now.

I have been around but not as before. I usually just read through cos i'm mostly on mobile and find it heard to post replies, bible verses, quotes, and make them bold for some people who refuse to SEE things. Lol. How is your group doing? Where I am it's quite hard getting people like that to fellowship with so I fellowship with my bible. I come from a very very Churchy family. Many of my friends think I'm a backslider when they see me at home, studying on SUNDAYS. Infact, you can't imagine the kind of 'persecution' I'm going through from family for refusing to member in church. The LORD is my strenght sha.

Shalom

You are not alone toluxa1.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Image123(m): 2:27pm On Jul 06, 2010
But Jesus himself made it a custom to be at the synagogue. And the synagogues weren't exactly brimming with angels, they were a PERVERSE generation. So you guys are holier than everybody in church. Too holy for 'organised religion'. Thank God I don't serve a disorganised God.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by DeepSight(m): 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2010
I have a question.

Why was Jesus without sin?

Was it on account of -

- - his human nature or

- - his divine nature.

Since it is not possible for a human nature to be sinless then presumably he was without sin because of his divine nature.

Does this not presuppose that he should be perfect and beyond other human frailties - given that he was beyond the greatest human frailty- sin.

Does this not presuppose that such frailties such as the fear that seemed to besiege him in Gethsemane should equally be alien to him?

Thanks.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by meyri: 3:10pm On Jul 06, 2010
It the same. Jesus or christ. See this what happen when people read too much yet do not reason.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Toluxa1:

Hold your head up. Nothing do you. God remains your strength

@Nuriel22 & Meyri:

Which are you? Its not Jesus BUT US CHRISTIANS I seperate into two camps - those in it for God and Love and those who want the "moolah" now! All ought follow Jesus THE Risen Christ but He was one before the other! Do you now understand my point? You can see pepper has found its target with some already!

@e36991:

Nokia X6. Been wondering how to get one on it for a long while. Whats been happening to you?

@DeepSight:

You get answers WHEN YOU WANT answers, [size=3pt]not an avenue to show the effects of blanking your mind and allowing rubbish enter and build a foundation in eastern mysticism which shows everytime you type[/size]
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by e36991: 9:18pm On Jul 06, 2010
nuclearboy:

@e36991:

Nokia X6. Been wondering how to get one on it for a long while.

Whats been happening to you?

@nuclearboy

Hey KJV suit you?

I'll sort you out the soonest. Need to check my archives. Watch this space

Rewind. Scratch the line above.

This is an alternative and quicker. Check out this URL link http://gobible.jolon.org/

Instructions are straightforward and self explanatory

If hitched, holler
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 10:16pm On Jul 06, 2010
Thats the one I like most! Thanks - will try now
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by vescucci(m): 10:58pm On Jul 06, 2010
A tad misleading this thread. After a bit, I like the point Nuclearboy is making. One cannot simply choose what part of a journey one wants. You gotta follow Jesus' example in totality or you're not a true follower. There should be no victory without sacrifice, right? Or, put another way, the only real victory we ought to seek is that of the hereafter and not the one now (especially as it seems that has nothing to do with your religious affiliations or lack thereof). Good and valid points, but I have to say (reluctantly) hardly worth starting a thread about na.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by nuclearboy(m): 11:07pm On Jul 06, 2010
^^ you're right and you get my idea perfectly!

I knew this would not be the type of thread that stimulating discussion or "page after page" flows from - it was just a reminder to those who claim the name what we're about.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 06, 2010
If vescucci's explanation is what this thread is about then i like it! I've been wondering for a while now if i'm following a totally different christianity from everyone else . . . the type of christianity where YOU and not Christ is the center of attention, where YOUR NEEDS like "healing, success, fame, happiness" is all you pray for and nothing about righteousness, getting closer to Christ and knowing the word better. I never understood this brand of christianity . . . i dont think i ever will.
Re: "Jesus" Or "Christ"? Which are you following? by chibaby5(f): 11:22pm On Jul 06, 2010
@topic

Really dnt get wat they issue is here. . all i can say is dat He is the same., JESUS and CHRIST. E.G  just da way ppl hve last names  undecided

Deep Sight:

I have a question.

Why was Jesus without sin?

Was it on account of -

- - his human nature or

- - his divine nature.

Since it is not possible for a human nature to be sinless then presumably he was without sin because of his divine nature.

Does this not presuppose that he should be perfect and beyond other human frailties - given that he was beyond the greatest human frailty- sin.

Does this not presuppose that such frailties such as the fear that seemed to besiege him in Gethsemane should equally be alien to him?

Thanks.

I think you answered your question yoself. He came in human nature jus because He had a job 2 do
That did not make him an ordinary human being lyk me and you wiv sin and filt
DS waz why he had the supreme powers 2 perform all the wonderful miracles whislt still on earth

Hope dat helped  smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Reply To Deathstroke007's Absurd Argument For Islam Using God's "Real" Name / Questions And Answers Muslim People Should Know / Is It True That Okro Soup Can Destroy Your Destiny?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.