Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! (3161 Views)

Why I Believe Stephanie Otobo Is Lying Against Apostle Sulieman / Apostle Johnson Suleman's Sex Scandal: "I Believe You Daddy!"- Lady Supports Him / “Kingdom Of Heaven On Earth" Lagos Church Members Believe The Pastor Is Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2015
Hi guys,

I have been quietly following NL religion section for some years, reading few posts here and there.
There was a time I was really intrigued by the posts of certain members such as Obadiah777, MrPresident1, MostHigh, JesusisLord85. Especially regarding the whole Hebrew connection and how they break down meanings of passages. These posters all hold the New Testament as scripture, from what I can decipher.

But recently,I have been following some Youtube videos by one guy (link below), and after watching it, mehn, I'm really struggling with believing ANYTHING in the new testament.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafAOkkrGPAr4hEkUW_0Crg
He also has a website. http://www.lietomenomore.org/

The prophecies of Old Testament, as explained by this guy, do not support Jesus as saviour. Please check some of his videos, and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Jackeeh(m): 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
God is His word. The Bible was written through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God. He gives insight to those who are thirsty for His word. Please Do not try to apply logic to God's words. Get to a point in your life where you become a fool before God. Only then will you understand. Read the word for yourself. Ask the Holy Spirit to interpret. He always does. Do not rely on someone else's interpretations. False prophets abound.

3 Likes

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by emerged01(m): 10:00pm On Aug 16, 2015
end time tinz. you are on your own.

3 Likes

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by MrPresident1: 10:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
Lanre747:
Hi guys,

I have been quietly following NL religion section for some years, reading few posts here and there.
There was a time I was really intrigued by the posts of certain members such as Obadiah777, MrPresident1, MostHigh, JesusisLord85. Especially regarding the whole Hebrew connection and how they break down meanings of passages. These posters all hold the New Testament as scripture, from what I can decipher.

But recently,I have been following some Youtube videos by one guy (link below), and after watching it, mehn, I'm really struggling with believing ANYTHING in the new testament.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafAOkkrGPAr4hEkUW_0Crg
He also has a website. http://www.lietomenomore.org/

The prophecies of Old Testament, as explained by this guy, do not support Jesus as saviour. Please check some of his videos, and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Welcome to NL Bro.

The new testament is part of scriptures too, as it is written 'behold I come in the volume of the book' Psalm 40:7, Hebrews 10:7.
Apart from the fact that the new testament gospels are more of a paraphrasing and a symbolic rendition of the Old testament, the gospels are also the story of the incarnation of God as man, and what He had to pass through in order to redeem Israel, God had to die in order to be able to redeem Israel.

As for the letters of Paul and other Apostles, these were Elect to Elect communication, Elect to Elect communicating with themselves as they went throughout the world bringing the good news of the grafting of gentiles into the promises of Israel through the death of Christ. The letters are only for the Elect Apostles who took the Word to the world, many things that the apostle spoke about were not directed to the whole world but to themselves, and because many people do not know this, they actually think the letters are for the generality, they get confused as to what the apostles are saying.

A very good understanding of the Old testament especially the prophetic books opens up the whole Bible to you, for example, if you read Isaiah for the first time under the right perspectives, you should be able to solve atleast 60% of the 'mysteries' of the Bible, then combined with Jeremiah and Lamentations and Ezekiel etc., you will be very surprised at what you will find.

In summary, the New testament is as much part of the Bible as the Old testament.

1 Like

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by elantraceey(f): 10:30pm On Aug 16, 2015
Father in heaven!!!!!
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Freksy(m): 12:32am On Aug 17, 2015
@Lanre747, I would suggest you state some things in the man's sermon that make you doubt the new testament.

He quotes and applies scriptures out of context.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 12:19am On Aug 19, 2015
MrPresident1:

Welcome to NL Bro.

The new testament is part of scriptures too, as it is written 'behold I come in the volume of the book' Psalm 40:7, Hebrews 10:7.
Apart from the fact that the new testament gospels are more of a paraphrasing and a symbolic rendition of the Old testament, the gospels are also the story of the incarnation of God as man, and what He had to pass through in order to redeem Israel, God had to die in order to be able to redeem Israel.

As for the letters of Paul and other Apostles, these were Elect to Elect communication, Elect to Elect communicating with themselves as they went throughout the world bringing the good news of the grafting of gentiles into the promises of Israel through the death of Christ. The letters are only for the Elect Apostles who took the Word to the world, many things that the apostle spoke about were not directed to the whole world but to themselves, and because many people do not know this, they actually think the letters are for the generality, they get confused as to what the apostles are saying.

A very good understanding of the Old testament especially the prophetic books opens up the whole Bible to you, for example, if you read Isaiah for the first time under the right perspectives, you should be able to solve atleast 60% of the 'mysteries' of the Bible, then combined with Jeremiah and Lamentations and Ezekiel etc., you will be very surprised at what you will find.

In summary, the New testament is as much part of the Bible as the Old testament.

Thanks for responding sir. I will try and gather my thoughts and summarise them soon. In the meantime, perhaps you can help solve two things that puzzle me:

1) The New Testament speaks of Christ reigning in the Kingdom to come.
The prophet Ezekiel says in 37:24
"And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.

Either David shall rule over us, or Christ. I'm confused.

2) The New Testament says Jesus is Gods only begotten son
The Most High says in Exodus 4:22 "And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:"

In church, people pray to Jesus often. I begin to wonder, have they put him in the place of the Most High. They will say "no", because he is indeed the most high. Yet, Christ did not claim to be the Most High. I'm confused brother!
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 11:07am On Aug 19, 2015
Lanre747:

Thanks for responding sir. I will try and gather my thoughts and summarise them soon. In the meantime, perhaps you can help solve two things that puzzle me:

1) The New Testament speaks of Christ reigning in the Kingdom to come.
The prophet Ezekiel says in 37:24
"And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.

While this question is not addressed to me, let me briefly answer it pending MrPresident1's reply.

You don't need to be confused. David's reign was physical and temporal but Christ's reign is eternal. God had made a promise to David that his descendants will always sit on the throne of Israel, therefore, by His eternal plan Christ came through the lineage of David. The prophet Isaiah said:

"There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots." Isaiah 11:1

"And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, who shall stand as a banner to the people; for the Gentiles shall seek Him, and His resting place shall be glorious." Isaiah 11:10

In Romans 15:12, apostle Paul connects Jesus Christ with the scriptures in Isaiah 11:10.

In the book of Luke 1:32-33, the angel of the Lord told Mary, "He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."

What this means is that Christ, not David, shall have the crown and scepter to rule His people forever. The use of David's name in the book of Ezekiel is only symbolic and futuristic of the reign of Jesus Christ.

The Most High says in Exodus 4:22 "And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:"

I shall briefly explain this verse. God had told Abraham he would be a father of many nations, and to seal this promise God told him that Sarah would bear a child for him. Isaac was born as a child of promise. He had two children - Esau, the first son, and Jacob, the second son. Even before their birth, God had chosen Jacob for the fulfillment of His promise to Abraham. On a certain day, Esau sold his birth right to Jacob. This made Jacob the first son. After he wrestled with an angel all night, his name was changed to Israel.

It is not as if Isaac is not the first son, but God does not choose according to man's thinking. He does things according to His plan and promise. Israel would be God's chosen nation to spread the knowledge of God, the light of God to all the earth. Israel is God's first born son by promise, and not by right.

In church, people pray to Jesus often. I begin to wonder, have they put him in the place of the Most High. They will say "no", because he is indeed the most high. Yet, Christ did not claim to be the Most High. I'm confused brother!

Jesus is the Most High. If you see Jesus, you have seen the Father. Jesus is the Word of God made flesh. However, one of the qualities of Christ is humility. Philippians 2:5-8

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross."

Hope you understand...

4 Likes

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 19, 2015
Think am not needed here....
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Sability(m): 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2015
@lanre CaptainJune has answered very well. In addition, David was already dead as at the time Ezekiel was writing. This shows his mention of David was only symbolic.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Appleyard(m): 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2015
@OP, you must understand that salvation is a free gift given by God to whomever is willing to recieve it. You have known the way of truth, judging from how you confessed to have been following posts here and there on Nairaland, hence it would be foolish to suddenly turn off your interest and believe in God as it relates to the New Testament, for by so doing, you have directly rejected the priceless gift of salvation that was delivered to you in the New Testament-hence am afraid you might be loosing or have lost your coveted position in the faith with God. This is because, anyone who disbelieve or rejected the teachings of the New testament is DEAD ALREADY (enternal seperation from God). Disbelieving the synoptic gospels or the teachings of the New Testament simply implies disbelieving Jesus Christ-His arrival, death and resurrection, and for such a person, there is no life. John 3 vs 18.

Brother, you came accross someone on the internet disputing and denouncing what you have accepted as truth for long, now you are suddenly turning away; is it that convincing that you didnt even bother to cross check what you have been told with what you have learnt from the Bible itself? Have you done your own research, or prayed about this sudden predicament threatening your entire spiritual life? or have you so quickly forgotten that there are many anointed sons and intellectuals of Satan out in the open to contradict, denounce and twixt the word of God through false teachings and doctrines of the devils, so that many could be turn away from the truth, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of Satan? 1Timothy 4 vs 1-2.

Well, brother, i will like to know exactly what is it that is troubling you now, since i can not access online videos with my phone. Pls, do reply and lets see if God through His word will not prove such issinuations wrong. Just relax and roll them out.

And i am assuring you in advance-that the old Testament is the father of the new Testament. The New Testament is the fulfillment of the old Testament. If there is no old Testament, there can be no new Testament.

I will be waiting...

Stay well.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by adexsimply(m): 5:45pm On Aug 19, 2015
You're making progress bro. Soon you'll realize the whole Bible is a poorly structured myth.

4 Likes

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by MrPresident1: 6:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
CaptainJune:

While this question is not addressed to me, let me briefly answer it pending MrPresident1's reply.

You don't need to be confused. David's reign was physical and temporal but Christ's reign is eternal. God had made a promise to David that his descendants will always sit on the throne of Israel, therefore, by His eternal plan Christ came through the lineage of David. The prophet Isaiah said:

"There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots." Isaiah 11:1

"And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, who shall stand as a banner to the people; for the Gentiles shall seek Him, and His resting place shall be glorious." Isaiah 11:10

In Romans 15:12, apostle Paul connects Jesus Christ with the scriptures in Isaiah 11:10.

In the book of Luke 1:32-33, the angel of the Lord told Mary, "He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."

What this means is that Christ, not David, shall have the crown and scepter to rule His people forever. The use of David's name in the book of Ezekiel is only symbolic and futuristic of the reign of Jesus Christ.

I shall briefly explain this verse. God had told Abraham he would be a father of many nations, and to seal this promise God told him that Sarah would bear a child for him. Isaac was born as a child of promise. He had two children - Esau, the first son, and Jacob, the second son. Even before their birth, God had chosen Jacob for the fulfillment of His promise to Abraham. On a certain day, Esau sold his birth right to Jacob. This made Jacob the first son. After he wrestled with an angel all night, his name was changed to Israel.

It is not as if Isaac is not the first son, but God does not choose according to man's thinking. He does things according to His plan and promise. Israel would be God's chosen nation to spread the knowledge of God, the light of God to all the earth. Israel is God's first born son by promise, and not by right.

Jesus is the Most High. If you see Jesus, you have seen the Father. Jesus is the Word of God made flesh. However, one of the qualities of Christ is humility. Philippians 2:5-8

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross."

Hope you understand...

A very clean and refreshing post from you CaptainJune, you have put things very well.

Greetings!
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by MrPresident1: 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2015
Lanre747:

You shouldn't be confused, lol. God promised an everlasting throne and kingship to David and his seed:

2Samuel 7:12-13,16
And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.
16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

Jesus is of the root of Jesse, of the house of David (Mathew 9:27, Mathew 15:22, Romans 1:3) because Jesus stems from David, and because he belongs to the house of David, He is David.

Lanre747 :

Collosians 1:15
Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Again, let us examine it this way, Jesus is the express image of the invisible God, God cannot be seen, but when you see Christ, you have seen God because Christ embodies God. Jesus is the express image of God and is God in flesh, Jesus is the Word of God, Jesus is the first person to be created with the spiritual 'software' of incorruptibility and sinlessness (He had the Word as his working software), and this is what it means to be created in the image of God, this is what we all will become when he reappears again. We all will have our 'softwares' upgraded into that of incorruptibility and sinlessness. We all will be God because He will pour His Spirit upon us.

Ezekiel 39:29
Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Appleyard(m): 7:13pm On Aug 19, 2015
CaptainJune:

Hope you understand...

Perfect explanations! @ lanre747, captainjune just nailed home the perfect answers that i dont need to bother on it anymore.

However, allow me to add this to help you assure your mind that most of what took place in the old testament was only a shadow of the things to come-and did came in the new testament.

For instance, God in Isaiah 35 vs 4-6, was speaking through the prophet Isaiah that:

Isaiah 35:3-6 King James Version (KJV)

"Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees. Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert."

That was God speaking assuring his people that He God himself will come to deliver them. Remember that the Jews have only One God wish they know and believe to be so (Deu. 6 vs 4). Therefore, it was this same God that is now making this promise and assurrance. And pls take note of the characteristics what is to happen when this Ghod will come..the lame to walk, the blind to see, the deaf to hear, etc etc.

The question now is, did this promise ever came to pass? Did God Himself actually came to his people? Well, lets see..

I believe We knew about John the Baptist, how he testified and bare record concerning Jesus to be the messiah-the one whose coming is prefer and so on, right?
Now consider this: in John 1 vs 23-36, John confirmed that he knew Jesus to be the Son of God, and even declared in verse 29,

"behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world".

What this implied is that John understands and knows whom Jesus is...right?

BUT......behold the shocker!

In Mattew Chapter 11, this same John who was in prison as at this time, heard about the works of Jesus, and he sent two of his disciples unto Him saying:

" Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?"

wow! Why would john ask this type of "silly" question, given his own earlier testimony about Jesus? Is something wrong with John from the suffering in the prison? Or is he simply contradicting himself?
The answer is an emphatic NO! Nothing was wrong with him, neither was he mad or confused. It was a deliberate and clever question to reveal a mystry, and the answer of Jesus to that effect nailed home that purpose.

verse 4-6,

" Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The BLIND receive their sight, and the LAME walk, the LEPERS are cleansed, and the DEAF hear, the dead are raised
up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me."

Halleluya! cheesy What does this tell you? Prophecy FULFILLED! Isaiah 35 vs 3-6 was now fulfilled! Jehovah came as he promised. Jehovah God of the old testament fulfilled His promise as Jesus of the new testament!

Isn't that wonderful? grin
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 8:47pm On Aug 19, 2015
MrPresident1:

A very clean and refreshing post from you CaptainJune, you have put things very well.

Greetings!

Thank you, MrPresident1. It is nothing, really. Just helping a brother in need.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 9:09pm On Aug 19, 2015
@ Starlingslimnet, I disagree with your comment. If you have anything to contribute to help the Op understand the Word better, it is highly welcome.

@ Sability, thanks for your contribution

@ Appleyard, and MrPresident1, it's nice reading your contributions or, say, analysis.

My prayer is that God keeps Lanre747 from being a victim of false doctrines by the enemies of Christ.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2015
CaptainJune:
@ Starlingslimnet, I disagree with your comment. If you have anything to contribute to help the Op understand the Word better, it is highly welcome.

@ Sability, thanks for your contribution

@ Appleyard, and MrPresident1, it's nice reading your contributions or, say, analysis.

My prayer is that God keeps Lanre747 from being a victim of false doctrines by the enemies of Christ.
You guys have given him all He needs to know and the Holy Spirit testifying has made him to understand it.

Good job done...Soldiers of Christ.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by just4now(m): 11:01pm On Aug 19, 2015
Right from your write-up l inferred that you are very tender and eager for knowledge. But l fear for you if you don't set a personal restrictions on what to read or ignore, then your falling away is difficult to prevent. You can't be reading everything on the internet just because someone posted an attractive topic and misinterpreted the scripture with evil agenda. Most of these wicked souls are agents of darkness in disguise preying for puberty Christians. You have been rightly counseled by those who contributed ahead of me, stick to their advice. Furthermore, l perceived you have not received the Holy Spirit or you don't yet know His voice. Get to know Him you will be less bothered with trash posted everywhere by devils. Please ask Him to teach you the Bible and to lead you. lt is well.

God bless.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 12:15am On Aug 20, 2015
Thanks sincerely for all your responses.

See here is the thing. I am a firm believer in the God of Abraham, and I believe He shall not share His glory with anyone else and he is the ancient of days. And having done my own research, I believe those that say many black africans are in fact the true descendants of Jacob.

I am trying to ascertain whether the books and letters we call the New Testament is truth. So you will imagine I would be nervous to accept explanations using the same new testament. For anyone in those days to be considered a man of truth, he would have had to speak from the old testament. This is something I learned from NL admittedly, but I embrace that logic because it makes absolute sense.

So I must put to test those writings and writers spoken of.

So today's troubling passage for me is this (I have not overlooked your previous responses, I want to ask further questions based on what you guys have shared with me to make sure I have understood you):

Jesus spoke of His second coming in Matthew 24 among other places. He said in verse 34:

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Now I have read some commentaries that suggest "generation" is an unknown number of years. I read it as it is written, and as the word is used in most other parts of the bible, i.e. 'the people living at the time'. This has not come to pass yet. Therefore, I am concerned. Any thoughts?
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 12:24am On Aug 20, 2015
Appleyard:

Perfect explanations! @ lanre747, captainjune just nailed home the perfect answers that i dont need to bother on it anymore.

However, allow me to add this to help you assure your mind that most of what took place in the old testament was only a shadow of the things to come-and did came in the new testament.

For instance, God in Isaiah 35 vs 4-6, was speaking through the prophet Isaiah that:

Isaiah 35:3-6 King James Version (KJV)

"Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees. Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert."

That was God speaking assuring his people that He God himself will come to deliver them. Remember that the Jews have only One God wish they know and believe to be so (Deu. 6 vs 4). Therefore, it was this same God that is now making this promise and assurrance. And pls take note of the characteristics what is to happen when this Ghod will come..the lame to walk, the blind to see, the deaf to hear, etc etc.

The question now is, did this promise ever came to pass? Did God Himself actually came to his people? Well, lets see..

I believe We knew about John the Baptist, how he testified and bare record concerning Jesus to be the messiah-the one whose coming is prefer and so on, right?
Now consider this: in John 1 vs 23-36, John confirmed that he knew Jesus to be the Son of God, and even declared in verse 29,

"behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world".

What this implied is that John understands and knows whom Jesus is...right?

BUT......behold the shocker!

In Mattew Chapter 11, this same John who was in prison as at this time, heard about the works of Jesus, and he sent two of his disciples unto Him saying:

" Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?"

wow! Why would john ask this type of "silly" question, given his own earlier testimony about Jesus? Is something wrong with John from the suffering in the prison? Or is he simply contradicting himself?
The answer is an emphatic NO! Nothing was wrong with him, neither was he mad or confused. It was a deliberate and clever question to reveal a mystry, and the answer of Jesus to that effect nailed home that purpose.

verse 4-6,

" Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The BLIND receive their sight, and the LAME walk, the LEPERS are cleansed, and the DEAF hear, the dead are raised
up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me."

Halleluya! cheesy What does this tell you? Prophecy FULFILLED! Isaiah 35 vs 3-6 was now fulfilled! Jehovah came as he promised. Jehovah God of the old testament fulfilled His promise as Jesus of the new testament!

Isn't that wonderful? grin

I'm sorry sir, but I believe Isaiah 35 speaks of a time to come. It has the hallmarks of end time.

verse 8: And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

This has not taken place.

Cross referencing with Isaiah 11:

Verse 12: And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth

The Most High shall gather the scattered tribes. This has not happened yet.

Then verse 16:
16 And there shall be an highway for the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria; like as it was to Israel in the day that he came up out of the land of Egypt.

This sounds like verse 8 of the Isaiah 35 you reference sir. I must conclude that it has not taken place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 12:30am On Aug 20, 2015
CaptainJune:

Sir, as with the other gentleman, I must say also, Isaiah 11:10, in my humble opinion, does not point to Christ.

Isaiah 11 also says:

Verse 4: But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

Did Christ do this?

Verse 6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

Verse 9:They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

I believe these are yet to take place. I am studying Isaiah at the moment and trying to find solid evidence connecting Jesus to the one the prophets spoke of. I am struggling at present.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 12:36am On Aug 20, 2015
Appleyard:
@OP, you must understand that salvation is a free gift given by God to whomever is willing to recieve it. You have known the way of truth, judging from how you confessed to have been following posts here and there on Nairaland, hence it would be foolish to suddenly turn off your interest and believe in God as it relates to the New Testament, for by so doing, you have directly rejected the priceless gift of salvation that was delivered to you in the New Testament-hence am afraid you might be loosing or have lost your coveted position in the faith with God. This is because, anyone who disbelieve or rejected the teachings of the New testament is DEAD ALREADY (enternal seperation from God). Disbelieving the synoptic gospels or the teachings of the New Testament simply implies disbelieving Jesus Christ-His arrival, death and resurrection, and for such a person, there is no life. John 3 vs 18.

Brother, you came accross someone on the internet disputing and denouncing what you have accepted as truth for long, now you are suddenly turning away; is it that convincing that you didnt even bother to cross check what you have been told with what you have learnt from the Bible itself? Have you done your own research, or prayed about this sudden predicament threatening your entire spiritual life? or have you so quickly forgotten that there are many anointed sons and intellectuals of Satan out in the open to contradict, denounce and twixt the word of God through false teachings and doctrines of the devils, so that many could be turn away from the truth, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of Satan? 1Timothy 4 vs 1-2.

Well, brother, i will like to know exactly what is it that is troubling you now, since i can not access online videos with my phone. Pls, do reply and lets see if God through His word will not prove such issinuations wrong. Just relax and roll them out.

And i am assuring you in advance-that the old Testament is the father of the new Testament. The New Testament is the fulfillment of the old Testament. If there is no old Testament, there can be no new Testament.

I will be waiting...

Stay well.

Good evening Sir. I think you will see from the way I query responses that I do not simply believe anything. If you watch the video, while the gentleman speaking is not the most eloquent, and makes some not-so-well argued points, there are some very well put arguments that one would struggle to refute with scripture.

May I ask what your understanding is of the 'New Testament', with respect to the bolded?
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 6:18pm On Aug 20, 2015
Lanre747:

Sir, as with the other gentleman, I must say also, Isaiah 11:10, in my humble opinion, does not point to Christ.

Okay. Tell me why you think so. Are you implying Paul was wrong in Romans 15? Maybe you should read it. Still, I'd like to know why you think the Scriptures do not point to Christ. Then I shall give you many other Scriptures that prophesy of His birth, life and death.

Isaiah 11 also says:

Verse 4: But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

Did Christ do this?

This is a futuristic verse prophesying the return of Christ with His saints to war against the beast and the false prophet and the people gathered against Christ. This battle will usher in the Millennial Reign of Christ. Read Revelations 19:17-21 and Revelations 20:4-6.

Verse 6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

Verse 9:They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

I believe these are yet to take place. I am studying Isaiah at the moment and trying to find solid evidence connecting Jesus to the one the prophets spoke of. I am struggling at present.

These verses are still talking about the Millennial reign of Christ on earth. His reign will usher in a time of peace and harmony such that the effects of sin will no longer operate even on animals. As Christ rules from Jerusalem, the earth will enjoy very great peace and prosperity. Like you said, it is yet to happen.

The Scriptures foretell the revelation of the Messiah. If you want evidence connecting Jesus Christ to the prophecies in the Old Testament of His coming, read the Gospels. Study the Gospels, the life of Jesus Christ. They will shed some light. Besides, if the Old Testament prophets were not referring to Jesus Christ, then who do you think they were talking about?
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 7:02pm On Aug 20, 2015
Lanre747:
Thanks sincerely for all your responses.

See here is the thing. I am a firm believer in the God of Abraham, and I believe He shall not share His glory with anyone else and he is the ancient of days. And having done my own research, I believe those that say many black africans are in fact the true descendants of Jacob.

I am trying to ascertain whether the books and letters we call the New Testament is truth. So you will imagine I would be nervous to accept explanations using the same new testament. For anyone in those days to be considered a man of truth, he would have had to speak from the old testament. This is something I learned from NL admittedly, but I embrace that logic because it makes absolute sense.

So I must put to test those writings and writers spoken of.

So today's troubling passage for me is this (I have not overlooked your previous responses, I want to ask further questions based on what you guys have shared with me to make sure I have understood you):

Jesus spoke of His second coming in Matthew 24 among other places. He said in verse 34:

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Now I have read some commentaries that suggest "generation" is an unknown number of years. I read it as it is written, and as the word is used in most other parts of the bible, i.e. 'the people living at the time'. This has not come to pass yet. Therefore, I am concerned. Any thoughts?

Let me briefly explain something about this verse. If you read verses 15 to 28, you will see that Jesus prophesied the siege of Jerusalem which happened AD 70. Verses 29 to 31 talk about the rapture of the saints towards the end of this age. Now, before you understand verses 32 to 34, you must know that if Jesus was talking about verses 29 to 31 in verse 34, then what He said about the Gospel being preached to the whole world before His coming is false.

Why would Christ say something in verse 14 and make contradictory statements in verses 29 to 24?

Jesus Christ never made any single wrong prophecy. Verses 32 to 34 talk about the siege of Jerusalem, not about His return because many things will precede His return, the most important being that the Gospel will be preached to the whole world, something which has not been entirely accomplished even today. There is more to say concerning this explanation should suffice for now.

If you have any questions, let me know and I shall answer to the best of the ability God gives me.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 7:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
CaptainJune:

Let me briefly explain something about this verse. If you read verses 15 to 28, you will see that Jesus prophesied the siege of Jerusalem which happened AD 70. Verses 29 to 31 talk about the rapture of the saints towards the end of this age. Now, before you understand verses 32 to 34, you must know that if Jesus was talking about verses 29 to 31 in verse 34, then what He said about the Gospel being preached to the whole world before His coming is false.

Why would Christ say something in verse 14 and make contradictory statements in verses 29 to 24?

Jesus Christ never made any single wrong prophecy. Verses 32 to 34 talk about the siege of Jerusalem, not about His return because many things will precede His return, the most important being that the Gospel will be preached to the whole world, something which has not been entirely accomplished even today. There is more to say concerning this explanation should suffice for now.

If you have any questions, let me know and I shall answer to the best of the ability God gives me.

Colossians 1:23 says "If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;"

According to Paul, that was done in his day.

I understand 70AD. But the fact remains that generation did not see all that was mentioned in that passage.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Lanre747: 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2015
CaptainJune:

Okay. Tell me why you think so. Are you implying Paul was wrong in Romans 15? Maybe you should read it. Still, I'd like to know why you think the Scriptures do not point to Christ. Then I shall give you many other Scriptures that prophesy of His birth, life and death.

This is a futuristic verse prophesying the return of Christ with His saints to war against the beast and the false prophet and the people gathered against Christ. This battle will usher in the Millennial Reign of Christ. Read Revelations 19:17-21 and Revelations 20:4-6.

These verses are still talking about the Millennial reign of Christ on earth. His reign will usher in a time of peace and harmony such that the effects of sin will no longer operate even on animals. As Christ rules from Jerusalem, the earth will enjoy very great peace and prosperity. Like you said, it is yet to happen.

The Scriptures foretell the revelation of the Messiah. If you want evidence connecting Jesus Christ to the prophecies in the Old Testament of His coming, read the Gospels. Study the Gospels, the life of Jesus Christ. They will shed some light. Besides, if the Old Testament prophets were not referring to Jesus Christ, then who do you think they were talking about?

Sir, you mentioned Isaiah 11, I was just pointing out that it does not point to Christ, or at least the first coming.
As i mentioned before, I am sceptical of the NT, how can I therefore use new testament writings to test the validity of new testament writings.
My logic is, if it doesn't match the writings of the prophets, or goes against the teachings of the Most High as prescribed in the torah, then it cannot be legitimate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 20, 2015
Lanre747:

Sir, you mentioned Isaiah 11, I was just pointing out that it does not point to Christ, or at least the first coming.
As i mentioned before, I am sceptical of the NT, how can I therefore use new testament writings to test the validity of new testament writings.
My logic is, if it doesn't match the writings of the prophets, or goes against the teachings of the Most High as prescribed in the torah, then it cannot be legitimate.

Inbox me let's have cool discussion ur findings. the environment here is distracting.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 2:03pm On Aug 21, 2015
Lanre747:

Colossians 1:23 says "If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;"

According to Paul, that was done in his day.

I understand 70AD. But the fact remains that generation did not see all that was mentioned in that passage.

There's no one who can tell for a fact when the Gospel has been preached to every soul on earth because when Apostle Paul wrote this, the majority of the regions in Africa and Asia and other parts of the world had not heard the Gospel of the good news of Christ.

A veritable sign that will follow the preaching of the Gospel to every soul under heaven, that is, in the whole world is the rapture of the Church. This has not happened yet even after many centuries since the Apostle made that statement.

It then means that Paul was not talking about "every creature in the world" per se. What he meant by that statement, as in verse 6 of the same chapter as well, is the fact that the Gospel has been preached to a great number of Jews and Gentiles of his time, not even necessarily all the Jews and Gentiles. The Gospel had traveled to many parts of the world at the time but not to every part of the world as the statement seems to imply. If truly the Gospel had been preached to everyone in the world, then Christ would have returned a very long time ago. His statement is characteristic of a hyperbolic expression. It isn't meant to be taken literally, obviously.

About the other part of your statement, Jesus died in AD 33. The Siege of Jerusalem took place in AD 70, thirty-seven (37) years later after the death of Jesus. Without doubt, so many in that generation, not even few, witnessed the Siege.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by CaptainJune: 2:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
Lanre747:

You're saying Isaiah 11 does not point to Christ without any valid reason behind your opinion. If it does not point to Christ, then who does it talk about? Do you have any idea?

I don't see why you should doubt the New Testament writings. Remember, Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Law. He did not come to abolish it. He became that sacrifice of sin as required by the Law. He was the only Person who could atone for the sins of the Jews and the world and permanently wipe away our sins with His spotless blood. The Prophets spoke of His coming.

The life and death and of Jesus Christ fulfilled the prophecies of the prophets in the Old Testament concerning Him. You need to study the Bible carefully to see that Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the expected Messiah.
Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by freecocoa(f): 2:34pm On Aug 21, 2015
OP the earlier you realise the whole bible is a lie, the better for you.

1 Like

Re: Not Sure I Believe The New Testament Anymore!! by pbs4real(m): 2:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
freecocoa:
OP the earlier you realise the whole bible is a lie, the better for you.
wat

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scientific Errors In The Bible / Who Are These Two Witnesses / The Jew Is Satan In Human Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.