Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,489 members, 7,812,522 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos (2194 Views)

#EdoNoBeLagos, Ambode, Tinubu, Wike, Oshiomhole Trended During #EdoDecides2020 / Governor Ambode And Lagosians Hailing Him (Photo) / Ambode: Tinubu Burst Into Tears At Meeting With Buhari & APC Governors- Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 11:28am On Sep 15, 2018
Ever since Tinubu handed over, Lagos has produced two governors and Tinubu has hand a hand in the emergence of both of them. Their successes have also been attributed to the blueprint that Tinubu laid down during his tenure as Governor of the state. I must say that if really laid those blueprints, that he did a very good job and Fashola and Ambode have done well in maintaining those blueprints.

It is important to note that it's not only Lagos that has a fantastic bluepint. I'm sure most states have theirs too. The only difference is the wllingness and the financial muscle to carry our those blueprints which is what has made Lagos succeed in this regard. No state in the federation can match the financial muscle of Lagos but that does not in anyway discount the effort put in by all the governors of Lagos since 1999.

Recently, there has been a talk about Tinubu dumping Ambode because based on the feelers we're getting, Ambode has destroyed some of the structures that Tinubu lelft for every governor to follow. While these structures are germaine, every governor has the right to follow his own path. Ambode can as well destroy all the structures and creates his if he feels they are better. It's now left for Lagosians to decide whether or not he has done well or not. For instance, i feel that since Ambode became governor, there has been an upsurge of filth throughout the state. I can for a fact say that he has failed in the area of waste management. But he has also succeeded in other areas such as in capital projects such as roads and bridges.

Even iif Ambode fails in every area, i doon't think it's for Tinubu to decide whether he continues or not. The party has a structure and they can vote Ambode out in the primaries if they so choose. Nobody should be more powerful than the party. you don't just choose to do away with someone because you don't like them or their style of gooernance.

In any case, if APC decides not to field Ambode, it's their prerogative but they should be ready to bear the consequences that may follow. Despite the godlike status accorded to Tinubu, it's imperative to note that he maynot be as powerful as been touted. The only reason he has wielded so much power is because, the people he has fielded to become the governors of Lagos have done considerably well, so Lagosians are voting based on this premise not because Tinubu holds Lagos by it's crotch.

If Tinubu continues and succeeds with his threat and Ambode decides to pitch his tent with another party, we can't rule out the fact that he can beat APC's candidate whoever that is. He's the imnumbent and he has done considerably well in the eyes of most Lagosians.

Let's wait and see who wins the fight for the soul of Lagos state.

2 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Shukuakukobambi: 11:44am On Sep 15, 2018
The only reason he has wielded so much power is because, the people he has fielded to become the governors of Lagos have done considerably well, so Lagosians are voting based on this premise not because Tinubu holds Lagos by it's crotch.

The above is very true. Tinubu holds the power because his picks in Lagos and at Abuja have delivered and that's what makes him different from other godfathers. That's where OBJ too holds his ace. Their godsons and daughters are still relevant hence they, as godfathers, must remain relevant.

Be that as it may, this Ambode issue is a banana peel that has ominous possibilities. Like I said somewhere else, Ambode messed up on the issue of waste management considering the program his predecessors left behind but if he'll be removed, let it be through a fair means sanctioned by the people.

Every empire comes to an end and most dynasties also terminate at some point. 2019 might be the year that terminates the dynasties in Lagos and kwara and it won't be a bad idea.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by In2systemsTech(m): 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2018
More like a pocket fight to me... dont get it twisted

meanwhile I have Brand new AllCall s1 phone (5000mAH, 2GB, 16 GB, 5.5", Android 8.1) @ 28,000naira and Brand new Homtom S16 phone (finger print, 3000mah, 2Gb 16GB, 5.5") @ 25500.... check my signature
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

The above is very true. Tinubu holds the power because his picks in Lagos and at Abuja have delivered and that's what makes him different from other godfathers. That's where OBJ too holds his ace. Their godsons and daughters are still relevant hence they, as godfathers, must remain relevant.

Be that as it may, this Ambode issue is a banana peel that has ominous possibilities. Like I said somewhere else, Ambode messed up on the issue of waste management considering the program his predecessors left behind but if he'll be removed, let it be through a fair means sanctioned by the people.

Every empire comes to an end and most dynasties also terminate at some point. 2019 might be the year that terminates the dynasties in Lagos and kwara and it won't be a bad idea.

Exactly!
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by CilicMarin: 1:54pm On Sep 15, 2018
Afam4eva:
Ever since Tinubu handed over, Lagos has produced two governors and Tinubu has hand a hand in the emergence of both of them. Their successes have also been attributed to the blueprint that Tinubu laid down during his tenure as Governor of the state. I must say that if really laid those blueprints, that he did a very good job and Fashola and Ambode have done well in maintaining those blueprints.

It is important to note that it's not only Lagos that has a fantastic bluepint. I'm sure most states have theirs too. The only difference is the wllingness and the financial muscle to carry our those blueprints which is what has made Lagos succeed in this regard. No state in the federation can match the financial muscle of Lagos but that does not in anyway discount the effort put in by all the governors of Lagos since 1999.

Recently, there has been a talk about Tinubu dumping Ambode because based on the feelers we're getting, Ambode has destroyed some of the structures that Tinubu lelft for every governor to follow. While these structures are germaine, every governor has the right to follow his own path. Ambode can as well destroy all the structures and creates his if he feels they are better. It's now left for Lagosians to decide whether or not he has done well or not. For instance, i feel that since Ambode became governor, there has been an upsurge of filth throughout the state. I can for a fact say that he has failed in the area of waste management. But he has also succeeded in other areas such as in capital projects such as roads and bridges.

Even iif Ambode fails in every area, i doon't think it's for Tinubu to decide whether he continues or not. The party has a structure and they can vote Ambode out in the primaries if they so choose. Nobody should be more powerful than the party. you don't just choose to do away with someone because you don't like them or their style of gooernance.

In any case, if APC decides not to field Ambode, it's their prerogative but they should be ready to bear the consequences that may follow. Despite the godlike status accorded to Tinubu, it's imperative to note that he maynot be as powerful as been touted. The only reason he has wielded so much power is because, the people he has fielded to become the governors of Lagos have done considerably well, so Lagosians are voting based on this premise not because Tinubu holds Lagos by it's crotch.

If Tinubu continues and succeeds with his threat and Ambode decides to pitch his tent with another party, we can't rule out the fact that he can beat APC's candidate whoever that is. He's the imnumbent and he has done considerably well in the eyes of most Lagosians.

As it is even Tinubu is in a fix:

Support Ambode and lose the trust of your foot soldiers who don't want Ambode back.

Abandon Ambode, win the election and hurt some neutrals..

I think the above, was the reason, he called for direct primaries, so that the popular candidate will emerge.

Having said that, Ambode failed in every area of governance, but like you said let people decide.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2018
The fight is b/w Yoruba Muslims vs Yoruba Christians! Tinubu is trying Islamic lagos state. that is APC number one agenda. they can't entrust the most sensitive state like lagos for a Christian Governor!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by meolaniyi(m): 3:01pm On Sep 15, 2018
Yorubas know very well that Lagos is a Muslim state based on the Natives.
I am very sure no Igbo state would allow a muslim be their governor.
In that case, No christian will govern Lagos state again
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by UncleSnr(m): 5:32am On Sep 16, 2018
Destiny34:
The fight is b/w Yoruba Muslims vs Yoruba Christians! Tinubu is trying Islamic lagos state. that is APC number one agenda. they can't entrust the most sensitive state like lagos for a Christian Governor!
The most foolish statement I have read this minute.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by UncleSnr(m): 5:33am On Sep 16, 2018
meolaniyi:
Another one.

1 Like

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Nobody: 6:14am On Sep 16, 2018
Afam4eva:

What exactly are you saying?

Should Ambode be given automatic ticket regardless of ambitions of party members? Sometimes people criticize Tinubu not because he has done wrong, but on the basis of pure hatred or some unknown reasons. Why is it okay for some Lagos senators to face tough primary challenge but somewhat abnormal for Ambode to do the same? Tinubu is a prominent stakeholder in Lagos politics and has a right to endorse any candidate of his choice. You can not in one breadth castigate him for imposing candidates on Lagosians and at the same time still lashing him for not asking other candidates to drop their ambition for Ambode. Lagos has now moved from delegate system to direct primaries which seems a fair system for all candidates and it doesn't seem like anyone can accuse Tinubu of handpicking delegates this time around.

5 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Alphagan(m): 7:14am On Sep 16, 2018
Afam4eva:

Tinubu is not imposing any candidate on the Lagosians, if it were so, he would have opted for an indirect primary.

With direct primary, the most popular candidate will emerge.

You dislike Tinubu for "imposing" candidates on the people but you're here suggesting BAT should "command" other candidates to step down for Ambode. What would that be called?

Ambode should go and test his popularity

5 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Sep 16, 2018
Alphagan:

Tinubu is not imposing any candidate on the Lagosians, if it were so, he would have opted for an indirect primary.

With direct primary, the most popular candidate will emerge.

You dislike Tinubu for "imposing" candidates on the people but you're here suggesting BAT should "command" other candidates to step down for Ambode. What would that be called?

Ambode should go and test his popularity

I agree.
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:04am On Sep 16, 2018
CilicMarin:

As it is even Tinubu is in a fix:

Support Ambode and lose the trust of your foot soldiers who don't Ambode back.

Abandon Ambode, win the election and hurt some neutrals..

I think the above, was the reason, he called for direct primaries, so that the popular candidate will emerge.

Having said that, Ambode failed in every area of governance, but like you said let people decide.
On the contrary, Tinubu is not in a fix.

The footsoldiers are doing his bidding, their loyalty to him is 100%. I have some egbons in Mandate Group (from now defunct BATCO) and they have been loyal since 2002 when I knew them. Forget what the press is saying that footsoldiers are fed up, NO! They are doing job of their master, Tinubu.

Now many people think Tinubu is holding Lagos to ransom, the truth is that he is not. His charisma and leadership has earned him a lot of goodwill of lots of people that he has been elevated beyond the pinnacle an average human can ever attain. Tinubu loyalists are dominant in the media, among professionals, law enforcement officers and judiciary (YOU CAN'T DEFEAT HIM IN COURT), Royal fathers and Baales, religious leaders, thugs and street boys, HoAs, LGA and LCDAs, HoRs, Senators, former this and former that, even among Ambode appointees and Ambo knows this! Fashola realised in 2009/2010 when he wanted to play stunt! Even the VP is forever loyal to Tinubu (his first loyalty is to Tinubu NOT Buhari despite Buhari being his direct boss BTW).

FYI, Mandate Group are pushing for Jide because oga instructed so. They will pull out should oga instructed otherwise! Nobody, not Buhari, Not Oshiomole, not Buratai, not CJN can help it, whether as individuals or combined forces. 'Na why Oshiomole comot hand' (Don't forget what happened to Oshio predecessor when he tried stunt against Tinubu and how Oshio emerged).

He called for direct primary to have the knife and yam to oust Ambo because he wanted to avoid the drama that may arise should he oust him through indirect primary or consensus. However, should Tinubu finally agree on Ambo and give directive, IT WILL BE DONE!

One more thing, Tinubu is not relevant simply because his successor (Fashola) performed (Tinubu also preformed and set the blueprint for Lagos development), he is still relevant because his structure is very strong and well grounded in Lagos state.

You see the case of Tinubu in Lagos is a special one.

6 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by CilicMarin: 11:18am On Sep 16, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

The footsoldiers are doing his bidding, their loyalty to him is 100%. I have some egbons in Mandate Group (from now defunct BATCO) and they have been loyal since 2002 when I knew them. Forget what the press is saying that footsoldiers are fed up, NO! They are doing job of their master, Tinubu.

Now many people think Tinubu is holding Lagos to ransom, the truth is that he is not. His charisma and leadership has earned him a lot of goodwill of lots of people that he has been elevated beyond the pinnacle an average human can ever attain. Tinubu loyalists are dominant in the media, among professionals, law enforcement officers and judiciary (YOU CAN'T DEFEAT HIM IN COURT), Royal fathers and Baales, religious leaders, thugs and street boys, HoAs, LGA and LCDAs, HoRs, Senators, former this and former that, even among Ambode appointees and Ambo knows this! Fashola realised in 2009/2010 when he wanted to play stunt! Even the VP is forever loyal to Tinubu (his first loyalty is to Tinubu NOT Buhari despite Buhari being his direct boss BTW).

FYI, Mandate Group are pushing for Jide because oga instructed so. They will pull out should oga instructed otherwise! Nobody, not Buhari, Not Oshiomole, not Buratai, not CJN can help it, whether as individuals or combined forces. 'Na why Oshiomole comot hand' (Don't forget what happened to Oshio predecessor when he tried stunt against Tinubu and how Oshio emerged).

He called for direct primary to have the knife and yam to oust Ambo because he wanted to avoid the drama that may arise should he oust him through indirect primary or consensus. However, should Tinubu finally agree on Ambo and give directive, IT WILL BE DONE!

One more thing, Tinubu is not relevant simply because his successor (Fashola) performed (Tinubu also preformed and set the blueprint for Lagos development), he is still relevant because his structure is very strong and well grounded in Lagos state.

Nothing to add! You have said all.

One more question, do you think there is any chance of him backing down?

2 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by benben1000: 11:22am On Sep 16, 2018
Mandate Group runs Lagos politics not Tinubu. They are like board of directors of a company with a chairman called Tinubu. You can never be elected CEO of the company without the support of the board of directors and the chairman. The office of the CEO being the office of the Lagos state Governor. Each member of the board is a local government chairman and controls the politics of his local government area. All local government areas make up what is known as Lagos state. One good thing Tinubu did in Lagos was the formation of the Mandate Group; it will take the mercy of God for anyone to win election in Lagos without the support of the Mandate Group, let alone another party. That said, Agbaje really challenged them, he almost won Lagos if you look at the result. PDP made a huge mistake; they should kept Agbaje structure and built on it.
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by MaziOmenuko: 1:12pm On Sep 16, 2018
Ambode was not amongst the grassroot politicians in Lagos. He was 'invited' to come and steer this ship. He got in and decided to re-route the ship.

There is a very huge political structure in Lagos which. It cuts across all cadres and class; from the elitist Judiciary, journalist, technocrats, CEO's down to the foot soldiers at NURTW and NATO. They have their own means of settlement; from allocating parks and bus stops to themselves where they collect money from danfo, to allocating areas where they manage waste collection and disposaletc. These are all party faithfuls which Ambode sidelined to try and raise a parallel structure.

It is a bit late to move to another party. He will be 'alone' and his fate will be sealed. His only option is to appease the powers that be.

3 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 1:31pm On Sep 16, 2018
MaziOmenuko:
Ambode was not amongst the grassroot politicians in Lagos. He was 'invited' to come and steer this ship. He got in and decided to re-route the ship.

There is a very huge political structure in Lagos which. It cuts across all cadres and class; from the elitist Judiciary, journalist, technocrats, CEO's down to the foot soldiers at NURTW and NATO. They have their own means of settlement; from allocating parks and bus stops to themselves where they collect money from danfo, to allocating areas where they manage waste collection and disposaletc. These are all party faithfuls which Ambode sidelined to try and raise a parallel structure.

It is a bit late to move to another party. He will be 'alone' and his fate will be sealed. His only option is to appease the powers that be.
What you have written here is factual but only based on APC party level and not the entire state. Why is it that despite the supposed power that Tinubu is said to wield in Lagos, PDP, the uch hated party al;ways manages to get atleast 40-45% of the total votes in Lagos. APC always manages to win by a small margin. It means that the Lagos electorate are bigger than any party structure. Ambode will definitely lose out on the APC ticket if Tinubu and the party decide it to be so but if he moves to another party, the powers of Tinubu or APC cannot bring him down.

I'm hoping that the trajectory that the Ambode-Tinubu bruhaha is going is sustained, so that political students will see that every political dynasty finally comes to an end, especially one such as lagos that is seen as the private estate of a single individual.

2 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:41pm On Sep 16, 2018
CilicMarin:

Nothing to add! You have said all.

One more question, do you think there is any chance of him backing down?
He may back down if Ambo play his card well. This is one reason Ambo has been sending emissaries to beg him, not to report him.

Now Ambo will keep pushing and hoping that Tinubu changes his mind. Tinubu understand humans, especially politicians that they can't be 100% trusted so I think he will ensure that he is in a very comfortable situation like he did with Fashola before agreeing to Ambo pleas IF he is to even do that.

Politics of Lagos is indeed a special case...

2 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by kunle75(m): 1:48pm On Sep 16, 2018
UncleSnr:
The most foolish statement I have read this minute.
Very very
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by osazeeblue01: 1:50pm On Sep 16, 2018
meolaniyi:

You are seriously sick.
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by CilicMarin: 2:09pm On Sep 16, 2018
Afam4eva:

What you have written here is factual but only based on APC party level and not the entire state. Why is it that despite the supposed power that Tinubu is said to wield in Lagos, PDP, the uch hated party al;ways manages to get atleast 40-45% of the total votes in Lagos. APC always manages to win by a small margin. It means that the Lagos electorate are bigger than any party structure. Ambode will definitely lose out on the APC ticket if Tinubu and the party decide it to be so but if he moves to another party, the powers of Tinubu or APC cannot bring him down.

I'm hoping that the trajectory that the Ambode-Tinubu bruhaha is going is sustained, so that political students will see that every political dynasty finally comes to an end, especially one such as lagos that is seen as the private estate of a single individual.

When did you start following Lagos politics?

Apart from 2015 election where PDP had 40% of the votes,it had never crossed 35%.

The reason, it had never produced any Senator, House of Rep(minus) 2015 since 1999.

1 Like

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Omofunaab2: 2:19pm On Sep 16, 2018
CilicMarin:

When did you start following Lagos politics?

Apart from 2015 election where PDP had 40% of the votes,it had never crossed 35%.

The reason, it had never produced any Senator, House of Rep(minus) 2015 since 1999.

In 2011, Fashola dealt with Dosunmu mercilessly

1 Like

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by CilicMarin: 2:23pm On Sep 16, 2018
Omofunaab2:

2011 nko? They had less than 25%

1 Like

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 2:26pm On Sep 16, 2018
Omofunaab2:

Fashola was an incumbent and majority of Lagosians felt he had done very well. Now, compare that to 2007 when Fashola squared up against a criminallym inded Obanikoro.

1 Like

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Caseless: 2:40pm On Sep 16, 2018

and where did Tinubu say this? He only withdrew his support for Ambode. And he didn't do this directly, his associates picked form to challenge ambode at the primaries, then ambode got jittery.

I like Ambode though, but I like Tinubu more.

2 Likes

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Bizibi(m): 2:45pm On Sep 16, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

yes,it is a special one.
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Bibors(m): 3:06pm On Sep 16, 2018
Ambode should wise up and join PDP.
He will have PDP structure to work with and get a second term in office.
Of course we know that Otedola isn't really serious about contesting now.

Once Ambode takes shelter under the umbrella, then it's assured that the Irredeemable irredentist will take another walk back to Daura, this time from ABuja

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by khallyberry: 3:08pm On Sep 16, 2018
Aside the little skirmish above, this thread is devoid of bigotry....(once in long while)

Intellectual and logic at the fore. Very educating for persons like myself. Imagine Afam4ever, cilicmarlin, tonyebarcanista, maziOmenuko etc in one thread and no hurling of insults.

Kudos

1 Like

Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2018
Bizibi:
yes,it is a special one.
long time boss
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by Ayodele0007: 3:13pm On Sep 16, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

I strongly agree with u.
Re: Ambode, Tinubu And Lagosians: The Fight For The Soul Of Lagos by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:14pm On Sep 16, 2018
Bibors:
Ambode should wise up and join PDP.
He will have PDP structure to work with and get a second term in office.
Of course we know that Otedola isn't really serious about contesting now.

Once Ambode takes shelter under the umbrella, then it's assured that the Irredeemable irredentist will take another walk back to Daura, this time from ABuja
He will be impeached within 7 working days the moment he joins PDP. Ask Femi Pedro what happened to him the day he left AC...

Meanwhile, even in PDP he will be sabotaged as their are leaders of Lagos PDP that are loyalists of Tinubu. #Fact

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Popular Quotes That Tricked Nigerians In 2015 / Shocking: This Mad Man Buys News Paper Everyday To Read / We Gazetted Kano Emirate Law, It Can’t Be Reversed – Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.