Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis (7198 Views)

Poll: Who Proceeds To the Finals?

Uruguay: 5% (2 votes)
Netherlands: 94% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Uruguay Fifa U17 World Cup (2 - 0) On 2nd November 2013 / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Player Rating / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup: (1 - 2) On 20th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by mukina2: 10:57am On Jul 05, 2010
Venue: Cape Town

Date: Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Kick-off: 1930 BST

Coverage: Television coverage ITV, BBC Radio 5 Live, live text commentary on this website
TEAM NEWS

Uruguay will definitely be without suspended duo Luis Suarez and Jorge Fucile. Suarez was sent off for handling Dominic Adiyiah's goal-bound header in the quarter-final win over Ghana, while Fucile earned his second yellow card of the tournament in that match. Creative midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro has been ruled out of the tournament with a broken foot, while captain Diego Lugano is struggling with a knee injury.

Netherlands striker Robin van Persie has been cleared to face Uruguay following a hospital scan on an elbow injury. Defender Joris Mathijsen will also return from a knee injury. Gregory van der Wiel and Nigel de Jong are suspended.
MATCH PREVIEW

The winners of the first-ever World Cup take on the country many consider the best team never to have won football's biggest prize in an intriguing semi-final clash in Cape Town.

So often dismissed as football's biggest chokers, the Netherlands' dream of a first world title is within their grasp. This may not be the most spectacular Dutch side in recent memory, but it is the most effective. Friday's quarter-final victory over Brazil saw Bert van Marwijk's side extend their record unbeaten run to 24 matches. They have won all five of their games in South Africa, beating their previous best run of four consecutive wins at the 1974 finals.

That was the year the Dutch introduced Total Football onto the world stage, opening the tournament with a 2-0 victory over Uruguay in West Germany. The Netherlands cruised to the final, only to stumble at the final hurdle at the hands of the hosts. Four years later it was a similar story as Argentina denied them again. The Dutch were the first European settlers in South Africa - will they be the first team to book their place in the 2010 World Cup final?

The glory years of Uruguayan football were a fast-fading memory before Oscar Tabarez's side arrived in South Africa. Winners in 1930 and 1950, La Celeste's last semi-final was 40 years ago and they have only appeared in two of the last five World Cups. But under Tabarez, who also steered them to the last 16 in 1990 in his first stint as coach, Uruguay have been rejuvenated and cannot be written off.
MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

- The Dutch beat the Uruguayans 2-0 in their opening game at the 1974 World Cup. Johnny Rep scored both goals, while Uruguay had Juan Montero Castillo sent off. Diego Forlan's father, Pablo, played in the match.

- The only other meeting since then was a friendly in Montevideo in 1980 that the home side won 2-0.

- Uruguay also beat the Dutch on the way to winning Olympic gold in 1924 and 1928.
Uruguay

- Uruguay are in the World Cup semi-finals for the first time since 1970, when they lost 3-1 to Brazil.

- They have conceded only two goals in five games in South Africa.

- Uruguay are unbeaten in their last seven World Cup games, including their last two group matches in 2002 (which were both drawn).

- They won the tournament in 1930 and 1950, though the second of their triumphs did not come in an orthodox "final". Instead they competed in a four-team group stage, overtaking Brazil with victory against them in their final game.
Netherlands

- The Netherlands have won five consecutive World Cup matches for the first time. This beats their previous best run of four in 1974, when they reached the final.

- Van Marwijk's side are on a 24-match unbeaten streak, a record for the Dutch. Their last defeat was in September 2008 (a 2-1 loss to Australia in Eindhoven).

- They have won each of their last three matches 2-1.

- Wesley Sneijder has scored six goals in his last seven internationals.

Match
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by mukina2: 11:00am On Jul 05, 2010
Holland!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by oisehumen(m): 11:05am On Jul 05, 2010
Should be Holland if they avoid complacency.
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by RuuDie(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2010
Go Uruguay. . . . . . rub sh.yte in the face of the EU
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by eyoniggar(m): 7:58pm On Jul 05, 2010
RuuDie:

Go Uruguay. . . . . . rub sh.yte in the face of the EU

Ruudie the weirdo. See who u dey support.

Ur way ehn!! Na only God understand.
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by ndigbo: 8:21pm On Jul 05, 2010
Holland make una no fall my hand ooh wink
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by hEvyAlien(m): 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
Holland that's if Uruguay stays off cheating lol,
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Nuriel22: 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2010
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by 9jafreak: 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2010
A very unpredictable game

*sighs*
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by chelseabmw(m): 3:16pm On Jul 06, 2010
holland to win provided they put on their orange jersey
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Ranoscky(m): 5:07pm On Jul 06, 2010
I for like make Uruaguay win O, b'cos of Diego Forlan tory wey i read today. the tory touch me gaaaaaaaan, cry but wetin i go do na? holland has always been my favourite for long so make i give am to d ORANGES!!! (Ah, but e go pain me O! embarassed i just dey imagine how DF sister go fee to see her Y-brother loose tonite's match. . .sad u know cry)
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Ranoscky(m): 5:09pm On Jul 06, 2010
Infact i no support anybody again, anybody wey win, na 'em fat luck!
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by dolu2007(m): 5:10pm On Jul 06, 2010
Holland of course. They have what it takes to win the cup, though Germany/SPAIN would be a challenge

Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by philips70(m): 5:36pm On Jul 06, 2010
Cheats will never win a world cup again. You see maradona have paid dearly for his infamous hand of God in this world cup with a disgraceful exit. I hated FIFA rules on that Ghana/Uruguay match. How proud will Uruguay be if they go ahead to win the cup after using hand to stop a goal bound ball that would have sealed their fate. The referee would have just awarded that goal to Ghana. Afterall his decisions are final in the pitch. I cannot blame Gyan, world class players have been missing penalties since history of soccer. Uruguay should never benefit from this fraud.
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by RuuDie(m): 6:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
philips70:

Cheats will never win a world cup again. You see maradona have paid dearly for his infamous hand of God in this world cup with a disgraceful exit. I hated FIFA rules on that Ghana/Uruguay match. How proud will Uruguay be if they go ahead to win the cup after using hand to stop a goal bound ball that would have sealed their fate. The referee would have just awarded that goal to Ghana. Afterall his decisions are final in the pitch. I cannot blame Gyan, world class players have been missing penalties since history of soccer. Uruguay should never benefit from this fraud.

What is cheating!!? Handball; Penalty + Red Card - Berra blame Gyan oh. . . . . . see Mary, see Bible, if e no get liver shebi e for lef am 4 somebody els ;De grin

Go URUGUAY - Forlan 4 MVP and then FIFA Footballer of the YEAR. . . . Suarez for Best Goalie!!!
grin grin grin
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by RuuDie(m): 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2010
eyoniggar:

Ruudie the weirdo. See who u dey support.

your way ehn!! Na only God understand.

not hard 2 understand man. . . . i just admire d cool, composed, quiet stability of d Uruguayan team. Experienced too. I mean Fucile (left-back) got a yellow early on in d ghana match & still played d match 2 d very end, not 1 moments fear of getting sent-off.

Forlan is hot; their defence is good. . . . I mean, whats there not to admire about 'em. Certainly, d dutch will test 'em hard but dis guys have what it takes 2 scale dis hurdle!
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by buzugee(m): 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2010
finna watch the dutch courage over the uruguayans. gerrit ? grin 'dutch courage'

finna watch the dutch rectally relieve the uruguyans. letsssssssssssssssssssssssss gooooooooooooooooooooooooo. get revenge for my ghana brothers for me  grin grin grin grin sending my nicca gyan home to accra is something i frown on  angry gyan was just putting his feet up and sippin on some nkomboti. he was just settling in and then he got deported by suarez  angry
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by DrKitaun(m): 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2010
Uruguay wins this most likely !
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 06, 2010
Oranje for Life, omo, show these urugay (U-R-Gay grin grin) people how football is played, lol, and please no "yakubing" or "Kaitaing" of any kind is acceptable!! angry

Hup Holland, jullie zijn de beste! grin
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by buzugee(m): 7:16pm On Jul 06, 2010
wavemasta:

Oranje for Life, omo, show these urugay (U-R-Gay grin grin) people how football is played, lol, and please no "yakubing" or "Kaitaing" of any kind is acceptable!! angry

Hup Holland, jullie zijn de beste! grin
no suarezing neither grin
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by mikeoscar: 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2010
I tip Uruguay to win this. I foresee the sort of footie they played during the group stages, pure South American Rythmic football.
I also see them playing cautiously at the back but confidently in the midfield trying to hold most of the ball possesion. This also means they won't be in a hurry to go for goal unless the Dutch start asking too much questions or they score first,

Let's watch and see, hey, forlan no cheating o.k. grin grin , so let the game begin
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by SUKKIE(m): 7:25pm On Jul 06, 2010
I hope d Neitherlands will avenge for Africa,Uruguay ve done us one 2 many harm.
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Iceugwa(m): 7:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
Wow. Wat a match i see the score line say 0-3  to the dutch
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by mikeoscar: 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
it's so very on now cheesy cheesy
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by MRMoneyE(m): 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2010
it is not mathematics, very unpredictable also could go either way ,
Iceugwa:

Wow. Wat a match i see the score line say 0-3 to the dutch
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by mikeoscar: 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2010
Uruguay wins this most likely !

@Dr K,
Exercise your voting rights to shore up our support for Uruguay wink cheesy
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Bidemi1997(f): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
*singing* Go Holland it's your birthday, your gonna party like it's your birthday grin  winner oh oh oh, winner, winner oh oh oh winner, Holland u don win oh, winner, pata pata u go win forever winner grin grin grin grin
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Sauron1: 7:45pm On Jul 06, 2010
Holland must win this game. . . . .

Come on ORANGE BOYS. . . . . .

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

VAN BRONCKHORST. . . . . .WHAT A GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by Akwasi(m): 7:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
Holland kill these thieves for me grin grin grin grin grin grin
1:0
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by mikeoscar: 7:47pm On Jul 06, 2010
Van persie is playing Arsenal instead of passing the ball to more experience players grin grin.

Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Capt  van bronchost
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by bawomolo(m): 7:47pm On Jul 06, 2010
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis by follypimpi(m): 7:47pm On Jul 06, 2010
Goooall !!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Australian Open 2010 / Okagbare Qualifies For 200m Final / Week 42 Pool RSK Papers 2024: Bob Morton, Capital Intl, Soccer X Research, Bigwi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.