Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! (1515 Views)

PDP Didn’t Win Elections In S’east – Kalu / See Gov Fayose Dancing After Winning all The Elections In Ekiti / Jonathan Can Afford To Ignore Boko Haram - Cynical Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by texazzpete(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04, 2007
It all begins when the country's brightest, most highly qualified inhabitants, the young dynamic professionals, citizens who have the potential to make good leaders, get together and examine the country's problems, the state of politics and the long-term national prospects.

What happens next?
They decide to emigrate.

And after that?
Another group of bright people get together.

What do they do?
They also emigrate.

And then?
And so on and so forth.

What does any of this have to do with a Nigerian election?
When talented, smart and highly qualified potential leaders leave the country all the time, who are you left with?

Retired baskteball players? Toilet comedians? Bad actors and actresses? Spoiled vicious rich kids? Ageing and debauched hermaphrodites?
You're now ready to hold a Nigerian election.

How important are elected officials to Nigeria ?
Nobody's been able to figure out an answer to that one.

What's at stake in a Nigerian election?
Prizes and surprises! Millions in cash! Dream houses! The vacations of your choice! Fun for the entire family! That's from the politician's point of view.

How many positions are waiting to be filled in the coming elections?
About 17,000 public offices and a still undetermined number of graves.

So it's like a lotto?
Sort of, except that when you lose you could lose your life.

Who are qualified to run?
Anyone at all! Generally, any person of any citizenship who's alive, of a certain age, good character and able to summon a mob huge enough to intimidate the Supreme Court.

What kind of candidates have the most chances of winning?
ARTISTS who have the CONFIDENCE of the people.

You mean 'con artists?, don't you?
You said it, we didn't .

Who are qualified to vote?
Anyone at all. Typically, anyone who's willing to be bussed around and go a hard day's work visiting a lot of precints during election day.

Talk about parties in Nigeria
Everybody loves going to parties in Nigeria.

No, POLITICAL parties
Oh!. Well, in the past there used to be only two parties, the Liberalistas and the Nacionalistas. Now there are several dozen, but they still all fall under two main parties: the Sosyalites and the Opportunistas.

What's the difference between the two parties?
Sosyalites love parties. Opportunistas will join any.

Explain what this year's presidential elections is all about
Did you hear the one about the murderer, the thief, the incompetent and the idiot?

No, is that a joke?
That's the presidential election.

You're a cynical bastard, aren't you?
No no no, we're not running for office.

Why are there so many international observers who come to a Nigerian election?
They're fascinated by all the strange phenomena which accompany it.

What are you talking about?
Miracles are a dime a dozen during elections here. Vicious criminals suddenly become saintly leaders. Voters fly. The dead cast their ballots. Morons become national leaders.

Why is the Church so closely involved in elections?
They're also interested in studying the miracles. Also, priests are needed to administer the last sacraments to all the people who're killed.

Nigerian elections sound like they're really violent and bloody
Not really. Not more than several dozen die on the average. Why that's only a teensy fraction of the population! And everything blows over after election day, so the country can bet back to its usual kidnapping, wholesale graft, hostage taking and coup attempts.

How clean are Nigerian elections?
Let's put it this way: if Nigerian elections were your house you wouldn't want to live in it.

What are guns, goons and gold??
Three traditional important elements of a successful election. There's a new one: film credits.

How come this pamphlet doesn't include a question that goes "why can't all candidates just jump in the lake"?
That question looks like it was just gratuitously put into this article for very naughty purposes. We decline to answer it.

How can you tell an election outcome is suspicious?
Power failures in very specific rooms where the counting is taking place. Numbers that start losing zeroes as the days go by.

Can't the candidates, out of the goodness of their hearts, put a stop to crooked elections?
You really ARE from another planet, aren't you?

1 Like

Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Razorr(f): 4:31pm On Apr 04, 2007
ROFLMFAO    grin   grin   grin

That was amazing! Who wrote it?

Absolutely splendid!

A very accurate description of the political system in Nigeria!

I'm still trying to stop laughing.  grin   grin   grin

May God have mercy on this country. Amen!
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by iice(f): 4:52pm On Apr 04, 2007
Laughin ma friggin butt off Amazing, love it! grin
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 04, 2007
Absolutely fantastic. You just put a humorous spin on the political climate of Nigeria. Reminds me of several of Reuben Abati's monologues in the Guardian.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by user86666(m): 6:27pm On Apr 04, 2007
What a satire! I like this part
texazzpete:

Explain what this year's presidential elections is all about
. . . . the murderer, the thief, the incompetent and the idiot?
How true (and sad)
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by user86666(m): 6:28pm On Apr 04, 2007
Vote Pat Utomi
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by fromuk(m): 6:57pm On Apr 04, 2007
for us to compete with other developing world VOTE PAT this might be our last chance.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by fromuk(m): 7:04pm On Apr 04, 2007
i remove cap for ya texazzpete
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Soundmind(m): 7:13pm On Apr 04, 2007
This is realy interesting. You have been following election in Nigeria for a very long time. You actually have the picture.
grin grin grin
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by purpleh(m): 7:44pm On Apr 04, 2007
Nice one Tex cheesy
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Coleslove: 8:35pm On Apr 04, 2007
Too bad, how fast our beloved country is being destroyed. My brother, i must admit with shame that, your metaphors about Nigerian Election is true, even at that, What is the way forward? We need to take things i mean the issues affecting our country very serious and not laugh over what is being written. I want to believe the write up was not meant for entertainment, but just a reminisce of the dark sides of our beloved country. What is the way forward I must let you know this, you are one of Nigeria's hope.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Seun(m): 8:13am On Apr 05, 2007
Actually, I don't think Pat Utomi will do better than Yar'adua. To succeed in politics, you need certain [size=4pt]corrupt[/size] friends. wink
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by akara(m): 9:54am On Apr 05, 2007
grin

Nice Post

LOL

grin
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by user86666(m): 12:35pm On Apr 05, 2007
Seun a politician with good intentions cannot claim to have no corrupt friends or associations, but such a politician is different because he doesnt engage in corrupt practices notwithstanding surrounding influences.
Coleslove I like your post. Now who knows, maybe nairaland is nurturing Nigeria's redeemers. . . .theres hope afterall!
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Coleslove: 7:40pm On Apr 05, 2007
Seun:

Actually, I don't think Pat Utomi will do better than Yar'adua. To succeed in politics, you need certain [size=4pt]corrupt[/size] friends. wink

I will support this statement in principle, its an assignment that requires The Good, The Bad and The Wise.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Coleslove: 7:42pm On Apr 05, 2007
user86666:

maybe nairaland is nurturing Nigeria's redeemers. . . .theres hope afterall!

I very optimistic about that statement. I'll live to see this acomplished.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by sweetchick(f): 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2007
Pat Utomi is the man. Did you watch him against Buhari yesternight? That guy knows his onions. Please vote him. I believe he is the only one who has the intention of gtting us out of this mess we have dug ourselves into.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 06, 2007
Seun:

U re right.But what if the certain friend want to remain your enemy?
Utomi gat friends,remember he was in d the corridors of power as a special adviser.
He got some friends too.
For now he is the best bet since Duke opted out.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Seun(m): 8:30am On Apr 18, 2007
I think it's possible for Pat Utomi to be the president of Nigeria in the future.
I would like to cast a protest vote for him next week, but I can't. I think he should start at the state level.
Re: Elections In Nigeria: A Cynical Take! by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 22, 2022
Well, looking back 15 years, nothing much has changed.

People have become more and more cynical, and more willing to go to 'ready made countries with ready made democracies'

At the end of the day, we all have to work within the system to make it better.

(1) (Reply)

Yaradua's Masterstroke And The Making Of A Lame Duck Governor / Tony Anineh An Outcast In Edo,arise Anambrarians Lets Send Back To Exile. / Obasanjo Is Alive !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.