Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did (551 Views)

Hurricane IDA Unleashes Apocalyptic Flooding Across Usa(Pix, Video) / Hurricane Ida Throws New Orleans In Darkness, One Dies (Videos) / Robert Trump Is Dead! US President’s Younger Brother Dies At 71 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:12am On Sep 21, 2018
Ida b wells refused to give up her seat 71 years ago before rosa park did

1 Share

Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by alterswerve(m): 7:02am On Sep 21, 2018
Really? More than 100 years after this, these people want to go political? Like black people were even allowed to vote
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by drakeli: 2:25pm On Sep 21, 2018
Story for the gods. Her not giving up her seat brought no change. Rosa Park we know.

2 Likes

Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by panafrican(m): 6:24am On Sep 22, 2018
No because she was maybe too Black unlike Rosa Parks who was light skinned.
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by Abbeybailey(m): 10:44am On Sep 22, 2018
panafrican:
It has nothing to do with her pigmentation. Overwhelming majority of African Americans then were republicans. It was the racism and bigotry of Herbert Hoover in the late 20s during the horrific depression that culminated in the election of FDR with The New Deal that turns African Americans to Democrats. Get your facts right. Ida B Wells is very famous and well liked in Chicago which is a big Blue City and she has a Housing Estate ( Ida B Wells Housing Estate ) and A street named after her.
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:06pm On Sep 22, 2018
Abbeybailey:

It has nothing to do with her pigmentation. Overwhelming majority of African Americans then were republicans. It was the racism and bigotry of Herbert Hoover in the late 20s during the horrific depression that culminated in the election of FDR with The New Deal that turns African Americans to Democrats. Get your facts right. Ida B Wells is very famous and well liked in Chicago which is a big Blue City and she has a Housing Estate ( Ida B Wells Housing Estate ) and A street named after her.

Why then was she not remembered and celebrated? undecided

1 Like

Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by Abbeybailey(m): 3:13pm On Sep 22, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Why then was she not remembered and celebrated? undecided
Obviously You can't read. She is very well known all over America especially in Chicago where she has a big Housing Estate Ida B Wells named after her . She also have a street that runs North and South through Downtown Chicago named Wells street. Google is your friend.
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by panafrican(m): 4:03pm On Sep 22, 2018
Abbeybailey:
FDR was a racist. He had no shame.During his tenure the U.S. army was still segragated despite black people's huge contribution during WW2.

What really made Black leave the republican party happened in 1964 when Arizona's racist and bigot Barry Goldwater and his henchmen overtook the republican convention and opposed the Civil Rights Act.
Read more
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/07/14/331298996/why-did-black-voters-flee-the-republican-party-in-the-1960s
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by Abbeybailey(m): 4:26pm On Sep 22, 2018
panafrican:

FDR was a racist. He had no shame.During his tenure the U.S. army was still segragated despite black people's huge contribution during WW2.

What really made Black leave the republican party happened in 1964 when Arizona's racist and bigot Barry Goldwater and his henchmen overtook the republican convention and opposed the Civil Rights Act.
Read more
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/07/14/331298996/why-did-black-voters-flee-the-republican-party-in-the-1960s
You posted junk. The movement of African Americans from the Party of Lincoln who was known as the Emancipator comes from the Hoover presidency of the 1920s when there was great depression all over America and blacks were being thrown out of the soup line in favor of Whites. So many blacks died when they couldn't even heat their homes with heating gas and they couldn't even pay their mortgages and rent while whites were being helped by the racist Hoover who was a Republicon. FDR came with New Deal that led to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and infrastructural upgrades of America which created many, many millions of jobs. That's the reason FDR was the only president that was elected 4 times in the history of America. That's the reason African Americans turned to the Democratic Party not the bigotry of Barry Goldwater but that push the little left of African Americans to the Democratic party. You always go and quote the right wing loonie blogs who loves to rewrite American history. For you that called yourself Pan Africanist, you sure love the racist Trump and his likes in the Republikkkan Party. This I know from my childhood because we were thought the history growing up In America unlike you who have to go to right wing black hating blogs to post the junk about American history. By the way, I grew up in Chicago which is the biggest city in the Land of Lincoln and i was just at Abraham Lincoln burial site in Springfield last weekend. Come over and i will entertain you and drive you down to Springfield , Illinois which is 4 hours drive away from my hometown.
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by panafrican(m): 10:48pm On Sep 22, 2018
Abbeybailey:
You posted junk. The movement of African Americans from the Party of Lincoln who was known as the Emancipator comes from the Hoover presidency of the 1920s when there was great depression all over America and blacks were being thrown out of the soup line in favor of Whites. So many blacks died when they couldn't even heat their homes with heating gas and they couldn't even pay their mortgages and rent while whites were being helped by the racist Hoover who was a Republicon. FDR came with New Deal that led to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and infrastructural upgrades of America which created many, many millions of jobs. That's the reason FDR was the only president that was elected 4 times in the history of America. That's the reason African Americans turned to the Democratic Party not the bigotry of Barry Goldwater but that push the little left of African Americans to the Democratic party. You always go and quote the right wing loonie blogs who loves to rewrite American history. For you that called yourself Pan Africanist, you sure love the racist Trump and his likes in the Republikkkan Party. This I know from my childhood because we were thought the history growing up In America unlike you who have to go to right wing black hating blogs to post the junk about American history. By the way, I grew up in Chicago which is the biggest city in the Land of Lincoln and i was just at Abraham Lincoln burial site in Springfield last weekend. Come over and i will entertain you and drive you down to Springfield , Illinois which is 4 hours drive away from my hometown.

Liberal Abbeybailey, we all knew you would bring upTrump in this discussion.Well, he was not born yet when FDR was segregating the U.S. army. Get over it.

BTW my buddy is a Baptist pastor in Springfield Illinois.
We went to Chicago, visited the place where Obama campaign headquarter was in Downtown Chicago, not far from the building where the French consulate is.
Got stuck in the trafic on our way to the illinois-Michigan-Indiana border. You know how heavy the tragic is after 4 pm on week days.

I also visited the Capuchean Soup kitchen place right there on Mt Elliot and Vernor in Detroit MI, not far from Belle Isle. This Soup Kitchen was the place where the Catholic Church ( not a Muslim Mosque) fed hundreds of thousands of Black ( and White) people during the 1920's depression.

Was at the Lincoln Memorial less than two years ago in D.C. before flying to Brazil.

This been said, you cannot deny that a huge majority of Black was still in the republican party after the Hoover and FDR era.
Remember it was a republican Black woman who recruited Ronald Regan in the Republican party.
Regan was a Democrat. This tells you Black were still powerful and active republican party members after FDR 's presidency.

1 Like

Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by Abbeybailey(m): 11:27pm On Sep 22, 2018
panafrican:

Liberal Abbeybailey, we all knew you would bring upTrump in this discussion.Well, he was not born yet when FDR was segregating the U.S. army. Get over it.

We went to Chicago, visited the place where Obama campaign headquarter was in Downtown Chicago, not far from the building where the French consulate is.
Got stuck in the trafic on our way to the illinois-Michigan-Indiana border. You know how heavy the tragic is after 4 pm on week days.

I also visited the Capuchean Soup kitchen place right there on Mt Elliot and Vernor in Detroit MI, not far from Belle Isle. This Soup Kitchen was the place where the Catholic Church ( not a Muslim Mosque) fed hundreds of thousands of Black ( and White) people during the 1920's depression.

Was at the Lincoln Memorial less than two years ago in D.C. before flying to Brazil.

This been said, you cannot deny that a huge majority of Black was still in the republican party after the Hoover and FDR era.
Remember it was a republican Black woman who recruited Ronald Regan in the Republican party.
Regan was a Democrat. This tells you Black were still powerful and active republican party members after FDR 's presidency.

Majority of African Americans turned Democrats after the destruction of Hoover's economy which led to depression of the late 20s and after the New Deal of FDR who was elected overwhelmingly 4 times which is historical in American history . Yes there were remnants of Blacks who turned Democrats after the open bigotry and racism of Barry Goldwater. It makes no difference but for you to like the Party of Trump, David Duke, Arthur Jones , Pat Buchanan and i can go forever tells me your panafricanism is in name only.
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by Abbeybailey(m): 11:27pm On Sep 22, 2018
panafrican:

Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2018
alterswerve:

Really? More than 100 years after this, these people want to go political? Like black people were even allowed to vote

Before now did you know that she existed? undecided
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2018
drakeli:

Story for the gods. Her not giving up her seat brought no change. Rosa Park we know.

That is why you democrats need education in history.

Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:56pm On Sep 29, 2018
panafrican:

Wow! shocked
Re: Ida B Wells Refused To Give Up Her Seat 71 Years Ago Before Rosa Park Did by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:44pm On Oct 05, 2018
Abbeybailey:

Obviously You can't read. She is very well known all over America especially in Chicago where she has a big Housing Estate Ida B Wells named after her . She also have a street that runs North and South through Downtown Chicago named Wells street. Google is your friend.

You liberals don't celebrate Ida B Wells simply because she was a republican.

(1) (Reply)

Georgia Official Takes Oath Of Office On Malcolmx Autobiography Instead Of Bible / How Is It That Africa Does Not Have Natural Disasters? / Trump Complimented My Breasts - Mary Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.