Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It (29647 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Gkemz: 4:43pm On Sep 23, 2018
We shouldn't get rid of bride price as tradition demands but we need to overhaul the tradition which imposes an expensive bride price on a woman. It has rendered a lot of women who ought to be married unmarried.
Personally when i discover that she's from mbaise or mbano I'd put on my Usien bolt or Chioma ajunwa until i hit multi million dollars.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Rebuke: 4:54pm On Sep 23, 2018
10kobo? How old is this woman again and when did she get married?

Jxt wondering how kobo still existed during her time n could evn b found to use as payment for her bride price.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Benosky011(m): 4:55pm On Sep 23, 2018
But why she d drink paracetamol for another person head ache.
Na she d pay the bride price?
Nobe we men d pay?
We d complain?
She never talk wetin she wants.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Bianda24: 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
The culture is bigger than Ngozi. Paying bride price is cultural. You have to adhere to it. The Igbo collects bride price and it varies from society to society.
What I don't appreciate is the high tag place on paying bride price in some society esp in Igbo land. Hence some of their ladies don't marry early because many of their men may not be able to afford the exorbitant price.
Nowadays, some Igbo families do not emphasise high bride price, rather, they collect something unique in order to make it symbolic just as Chimamanda's family did.
Unlike the Yoruba, paying bride price isn't that a big deal because when you pay, they will return the money to you, telling you that they are not out to sell their daughter but just make sure you take care of her.
My take is that bride price is optional.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

Who has the traditions helped? These stupid traditions have caused more harm than good.

It is only in NIGERIA that it is ok for parents to sell their daughters for money and foodstuff.

It is when Nigerians are willing to abandon the rubbish that they are used to that we can now start improving.

Say NO to old pot-bellied politicians.
Say NO to local traditions.

When one is a mental slave, they never ever know, they think they are "it" where enlightenment is concerned
God and our ancestors are turning in their graves now, because of you. This is because your last submission is rubbish, down to the last bit, even the politician one angry.
But your view of your "local tradition" is very disturbing. You need real education and knowledge (unlearn/delearn and relearn)
No proud educated free person thinks like you

@ bride price, I think Chimamada is high on the feministic weed, what is she on about? SMH
Many families now make it symbolic, taking that ten Kobo or 100 Naira, your father did not do an unheard of thing dear Ngozi, many many people now do it, we can harness that as a way to reduce bride price. I would never have married a person who has contempt for my local wedding traditions sha, that is me. So to the last bottle of beer, you buy it. And worry none, should I want out, I can pay back everything (it is not much biko)
That way it is even easy for any fed up and want out wife to return the money or cattle paid on her head

We should do away with white and mosque weddings instead, they sap black dignity and make us appear as rudderless people in the eye of the world
Yes to bride price, to lobola, to all of them
Hiss!

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by bezimo(m): 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2018
donstan18:
Social media opinions cannot change tradition, we should stop deceiving ourselves with these bride price blah blah blah.

If as a man,you are charged higher than you can pay to marry, you simply back-off since you can't afford it, not ranting because of your inability to meet up the needed requirements, afterall some tribes don't charge high.

And as a woman, once a man pay your bride price to wife you, have it in mind that your submissiveness isn't negotiable.

Tradition is tradition and social media can't change it.

Its because of mentalities like this were men thrash treat women in the name of marriage that has reinforced parochial and archaic cultural values such as bride price payment that should be abolished and the resulting wife enslavement and oppression..it has nothing to do with whether money is available to pay or not.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by BalogunIdowu(m): 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2018
Please why did her father bothered to collect 10k...
All these ideological people eh
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Bonapart(m): 5:20pm On Sep 23, 2018
jy2kbeyond:
My sister, shey your husband no pay for your bride price?

If he hasn't, both of you are indulging in fornication.

He needs to pay and get the approval of your parents because you didn't birth and train yourself.

Put small sense in your femin ism madam undecided undecided undecided ;
that irritate me to the core. You can hear the devil sounding in her. When women gets education, they will turned it to something else

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Xavier5(m): 5:22pm On Sep 23, 2018
LZAA:

Barman!!!!
Give these bro two crates
Sadly u will find its yoruba ppl complaining about the bride price thingy but ndigbo who know their tradition stay true to it

But you know say Chimamanda Adichie na ndi..........

complete the above sentence.

#Xavier.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Les: 5:24pm On Sep 23, 2018
Haywhaie:
What kind of a stupid statement is this? Even the Great Einstein would be lacking in sufficient intellectual sophistication on the very relativity theory he propounded in comparison to contemporary relativists in the physics community. Modern Physicists understand Classical Physics more than Newton ever did. And Biologists have more understanding of evolution than Darwin himself did in his wildest dreams.

How can you be so absurd as to assert that we can't know more than our ancestors? That we can't be wiser than them?

If the next generation doesn't surpass the previous, isn't the human race fücked? When you go through history and marvel at the passage of time, what do you observe? Evolution or devolution? Progress or retrogression? Or is stagnancy the only thing your brain reads?

The human race of years past is more endarkened, more primitive, and less enlightened than the modern man. We've read their stories, analysed their history, studied their behaviours, and taken note of their mistakes. We have surpassed them. That is why I know more than my ancestors, and it is impossible for them to be wiser than me. Plato was a Genius in his era, but he doesn't have access to 2500 years of accumulated human knowledge, information, and experience that I have access to. Nigga's already dead. We definitely aren't on the same level.

Do not post this kind of nonsense again.
all these long post for me or what? Go jor!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Haywhaie(m): 5:27pm On Sep 23, 2018
Les:
all these long post for me or what? Go jor!
tongue
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Next2Bezee(m): 5:31pm On Sep 23, 2018
merahki:

When one is a mental slave, they never ever know, they think they are "it" where enlightenment is concerned
God and our ancestors are turning in their graves now, because of you. This because your last submission is rubbish, down to the last bit, even the politician one angry.
But your view of your "local tradition" is very disturbing. You need real education and knowledge (unlearn/delearn and relearn)
No proud educated free person thinks like you

@ bride price, I think Chimamada is high on the feministic weed, what is she on about? SMH
Many families now make it symbolic, taking that ten Kobo or 100 Naira, your father did not do an unheard of thing dear Ngozi, many many people now do it, we can harness that as a way to reduce bride price. I would not marry or would never have married a person who has contempt for my local wedding traditions sha, that is me. So to the last bottle of beer, you buy it. And worry none, should I want out, I can pay back everything (it is not much biko)
That way it is even easy for any fed up and want out wife to return the money or cattle paid on her head

We should do away with white and mosque weddings instead, they sap black dignity and make us appear as rudderless people in the eye of the world
Yes to bride price, to lobola, to all of them
Hiss!

I agree that ignorance is bliss, but denial is just pitiful.

Aboriginal people like you, who are rolling themselves in the primitive ways of the dead ancestors, are part of the reasons why Nigeria is still a 3RD WORLD country.

Keep carrying tradition on your head. The smart Nigerians have discarded the rubbish and left the failing country, while you are looking for who will give you beer and 100 naira before they can marry your pikin.

Please, continue.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by aalangel(f): 5:32pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nwa Ada...forgerrit...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Okuchris(f): 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2018
amaniro:

Lol I heard Efik bride price nobe here oo
I'm an Efik girl,and the bride price is not expensive. try Akwa Ibom state, you will pay till you buy clothes or vehicle for late ancestors
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Hcqmela: 5:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THIS IS THE MOST SENSIBLE THING THAT HAS EVER COME OUT FROM THIS GIRL'S MOUTH.

SENSE HAS FINALLY LOCATED HER.
Lol but that's not true because she has always said sensible things but many fail to understand her. With what she just said here simply shows she's fighting for both gender rights cos if this is done it will favour those men who plan to marry their beloved from the Eastern side of Nigeria can do so without stress just as my brother who plans to marry Uju without the money issue. Feminism as an ideology under Gender Issues seeks for the equality of both sexes but the ignorant ones thinks it's only the female sex it favours. Remember a man too can become a feminist

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by LZAA: 6:08pm On Sep 23, 2018
Xavier5:

But you know say Chimamanda Adichie na ndi..........

complete the above sentence.

#Xavier.
Of course she's igbo
But u will hardly see any igbo man complain about bride price
Its mostly the yorubas
Our brothers in the south south even charge higher yet their men never complain
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

I agree that ignorance is bliss, but denial is just pitiful.

Aboriginal people like you, who are rolling themselves in the primitive ways of the dead ancestors, are part of the reasons why Nigeria is still a 3RD WORLD country.

Keep carrying tradition on your head. The smart Nigerians have discarded the rubbish and left the failing country, while you are looking for who will give you beer and 100 naira before they can marry your pikin.

Please, continue.

I have lived in your area of wish (the land you wish you were born in), but I came back, maybe because I am a true Aborigine (which for some reason you think an insult?). I just now touch base there because there are people I love over there, but, my land needs me, I am Igbo, I am sure you know the ethos associated therein
Darling, emancipate yourself from mental slavery, you hear?
And cheers

Quick one- you definitely surely as the sun is hot do not know why Nigeria is a 3rd World country. If you did you would not have typed that folly. It is way beyond the grasp of your cosmopolitan brain lipsrsealed I wish you enlightenment and a good life ahead though

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by MajorQuest: 6:29pm On Sep 23, 2018
Kingosytex:
coming from a die-hard feminist. so because u aren't in support of bride price it should be thrown into the waste bin. na wa o!!
Una want start again, una want folo oyinbo ways again, tradition is tradition and it's our
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by bixton(m): 6:29pm On Sep 23, 2018
Firstly its called *dowry payment * and not bride price with exception to those that require the lady to pay the price for the bridegroom (bride price ).

Be it whether the dowry payment is #10 or 10 kobo.
If you still get to spend #2million for the entire occasion then I see nothing new on what she just said.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by dannybomb(m): 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
Simplep:
Hmmmmm,u sure say u fit pay?
if the money is too big I will sell my land to pay yours
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Hcqmela: 6:53pm On Sep 23, 2018
LZAA:

Of course she's igbo
But u will hardly see any igbo man complain about bride price
Its mostly the yorubas
Our brothers in the south south even charge higher yet their men never complain
Thats a big lie cos it's the Calabars n Efik that does that so stop generalizing it that it's the south south n whereas I didn't see where she mentioned Igho or any ethnic group at all that should stop it instead she said bride price should just be abolished. She's even cool that she just said bride price because to me traditional marriage itself should be put to an end or if they are still willing to continue the practice a lot of customs that pertains the traditional rites in doing the marriage should be adjusted in a way it will favour both sexes since its Humans that created the tradition n as well still change it.Be it Radical or Liberal Feminism trys to seek the rights of both gender. I respect this woman a lot

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by iamgiggssleaky(m): 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2018
amaniro:

Lol I heard Efik bride price nobe here oo
Efik bride price is 10 pounds.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by QuietHammer(m): 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2018
conscienceman4:
You are a fan of fornication then.
Eradication of bride price gives way to fornication? Wow! You are very brilliant o
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 23, 2018
Ok o grin
dannybomb:

if the money is too big I will sell my land to pay yours
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Rossikki: 8:40pm On Sep 23, 2018
Next2Bezee:

Who has the traditions helped? These stupid traditions have caused more harm than good.

Actually, you thoughtless dunce, the vast majority of problems we have in Nigeria today are as a result of the adoption of FOREIGN traditions and ways, FOREIGN political and administrative systems, and FOREIGN religions.

It is only in NIGERIA that it is ok for parents to sell their daughters for money and foodstuff.

Oh SHUT UP, you liar.

It is most definitely NOT only in Nigeria that bride price is paid. It is paid in most African countries. It is paid in India, Pakistan, the Middle East, and South America. It is one of the oldest traditions on earth, and will most definitely NOT be abolished because a goat like you says he doesn't like it.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by nifty60(m): 8:55pm On Sep 23, 2018
Now she has booked a fight with her village people, she should prepare well
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 23, 2018
Haywhaie:
Now, this here is the very height of dumb.

I dare you to DEFINE religion. I'm waiting.

Do not be to quick to call an opinion dumb. You might realise later that you were very myopic.

Now to your question, religion to me is a set of practices, mostly rituals that are performed in response to a belief. Belief in this context refers to ideas that have not been proven, but are thought to be true based on faith.

Christianity on the other hand consists of PROVEN sets of principles. Faith and beliefs without solid proofs are lies. I have seen the wonders of Jesus Christ at work. Demons have been casted out, people have been healed, angels have been seen, miracles and signs abound. True Christianity does not qualify as religion because it has no set of rituals or ‘codes of operation’. Rather, it teaches one to live at peace by administering justice, mercy, and righteousness in all transactions with man and the earth. It is about the kingdom of God. Christianity says, ‘Do to others, what you would want done to you”. Christianity does not say ‘wash your hands before praying or going to church’. Christianity to me is spiritual science because it is based on facts. The simple fact that ‘Jesus is Lord’. Science is not a religion because it consists of hypothesis, hypothesis in progress, theories and laws that are based on physical observation and the interaction of mass, energy and the space-time continuum. Christianity on the other hand is based on spiritual laws.

I do not expect you to believe me. Trust me when I say I have 0% concern if you believe me or not. Keep wallowing in your ignorance and enjoy your self-deceit.

Cc:
CAPSLOCKED, the aforesaid comment also applies to you
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by writeprof(m): 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2018
I don't think her Prof Father dash her to her husband in marriage.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Haywhaie(m): 9:15pm On Sep 23, 2018
DanXplore:

Do not be to quick to call an opinion dumb. You might realise later that you were very myopic.

Now to your question, religion to me is a set of practices, mostly rituals that are performed in response to a belief. Belief in this context refers to ideas that have not been proven, but are thought to be true based on faith.

Christianity on the other hand consists of PROVEN sets of principles. Faith and beliefs without solid proofs are lies. I have seen the wonders of Jesus Christ at work. Demons have been casted out, people have been healed, angels have been seen, miracles and signs abound. True Christianity does not qualify as religion because it has no set of rituals or ‘codes of operation’. Rather, it teaches one to live at peace by administering justice, mercy, and righteousness in all transactions with man and the earth. It is about the kingdom of God. Christianity says, ‘Do to others, what you would want done to you”. Christianity does not say ‘wash your hands before praying or going to church’. Christianity to me is spiritual science because it is based on facts. The simple fact that ‘Jesus is Lord’. Science is not a religion because it consists of hypothesis, hypothesis in progress, theories and laws that are based on physical observation and the interaction of mass, energy and the space-time continuum. Christianity on the other hand is based on spiritual laws.

I do not expect you to believe me. Trust me when I say I have 0% concern if you believe me or not. Keep wallowing in your ignorance and enjoy your self-deceit.

Cc:
CAPSLOCKED, the aforesaid comment also applies to you
What kind of clown is this now? And to think you had the temerity to type the word "myopic" in response to me?

What is that shįt up there? Because, according to your irrational anecdotal evidence, Christianity is "proven", while the rest are not, that automatically excludes it from the definition of religion? What kind of "logic" is that? Any education system designed by your like would have long destroyed the human race.

What a ridiculous and fantatiscally cretinous way of preaching your own RELIGIOUS exceptionalism. Disappointing attempt. Awful fail.

A Muslim also believes that Islam is proven and is based on "FACTS" (the kind of kindergarten "facts" that only exist in your delusional worlds), while Christianity is not. So, going by your logic, he's entitled to calling Islam a way of life only, since it is ipso facto no longer a religion.

This is irrational claptrap. Don't try it in Philosophy class. Anthropology class. Sociology class. Or any other Humanities class. You'll only get a score much worse than your already terrible IQ digit. Your efforts to "prove" how Christianity is not a religion is laughable at best and intellectually offensive at worst.

This is no kind of objective evidence. It is personal madness inspired by Christianity, which very much remains a religion.

See ya when you've got something meaningful to tell me, buddy.

PS: I saw no reason to reply to your claim that Christianity has no rituals or "code of operations", because I decided to see that as a joke. I hope you'll unlearn how to post that kind of extraordinary shįt next time you decide to quote me with bollocks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by newdawn2017(f): 9:15pm On Sep 23, 2018
mrtomola:

Bro that one naa die cry
also d Riverine tribes of Rivers state, everything u go buy nor bi child's o!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Next2Bezee(m): 9:31pm On Sep 23, 2018
Rossikki:

Actually, you thoughtless dunce, the vast majority of problems we have in Nigeria today are as a result of the adoption of FOREIGN traditions and ways, FOREIGN political and administrative systems, and FOREIGN religions.

Oh SHUT UP, you liar.

It is most definitely NOT only in Nigeria that bride price is paid. It is paid in most African countries. It is paid in India, Pakistan, the Middle East, and South America. It is one of the oldest traditions on earth, and will most definitely NOT be abolished because a goat like you says he doesn't like it.

Lol, look at this one trying to rub their Sunday hunger and frustration on someone else.

Abeg, shift!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 23, 2018
amaniro:

Because I can point out good from odds. Christianity is not a foreign religion. Stop thinking like an illiterate. God sent missionaries to help spread the Gospel. It's for everyone. I believe it cause it's true. So you like the killing of twins. Your hypocrisy is great.

Christianity is not a foreign religion!!!
Okay, I giffup

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cancer ................... (a True Life Story) / Twisted Love / Awaken: Divine Hunter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.