Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,989 members, 7,835,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. (6888 Views)

Nairaland "Atheists". This Message Is For You. / Challenge To Nairaland Atheists / Opinion Census For Atheists Only! Make Una Fall In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by vaxx: 5:47pm On Sep 30, 2018
budaatum:

You were "demonstrating self will is innate", and also that it was "personal decision"?

I do not think you understand yourself!
self will means a willful adherence to one's own desires or ideas.And It is also akin it to personal decision . What is confusing you here?
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by budaatum: 5:56pm On Sep 30, 2018
vaxx:
self will means a willful adherence to one's own desires or ideas.And It is also akin it to personal decision . What is confusing you here?
How does "personal decision" relate to "innate" ?
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by vaxx: 6:01pm On Sep 30, 2018
budaatum:

How does "personal decision" relate to "innate" ?
it an emphasis on natural judgement
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by budaatum: 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2018
vaxx:
it an emphasis on natural judgement
P.s. I only ignored this because, as usual, it's just meaningless!
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by vaxx: 6:14pm On Oct 01, 2018
budaatum:

P.s. I only ignored this because, as usual, it's just meaningless!
lolllllll, someone advice you to let it go when the heat became unbearable....

Maybe you will make sense another day....let it go bro.
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by budaatum: 6:21pm On Oct 01, 2018
vaxx:
lolllllll, someone advice you to let it go when the heat became unbearable....

Maybe you will make sense another day....let it go bro.
There's no heat here vaxx, so don't you worry about me.
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by vaxx: 6:38pm On Oct 01, 2018
budaatum:

There's no heat here vaxx, so don't you worry about me.
i care , let me be worried. Wanner cure your rant(ignorance) with my little chocolate(knowledge)you know how much chocolate(knowledge) I invested(educating you) here. yet you still complain(can't learn ), I may need to change it to baby size(put it in a basic elementary forrm.) Someone even say vaxx is your chocolate box (library)and therefore encourage vaxx to care.
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by tintingz(m): 7:35pm On Oct 01, 2018
budaatum:

Abraham Lincoln was against slavery because free labour distorted the free market, amongst I am certain, numerous other reasons, being the highly knowledgeable individual he was.
So there is nothing sympathetic or empathetic that triggered Lincoln's feelings freeing slaves?
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by budaatum: 9:18pm On Oct 01, 2018
tintingz:
So there is nothing sympathetic or empathetic that triggered Lincoln's feelings freeing slaves?
I found the following:

His family attended a Separate Baptists church, which had strict moral standards and opposed alcohol, dancing, and slavery.

So I say his family (and church) taught him that slavery was immoral. And it could have been empathy for slaves was on the curriculum. Or that it wasn't economically viable or some other reason. I really wouldn't know. But whatever it is, it seems he learnt it. If the statement above is true.
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by budaatum: 9:27pm On Oct 01, 2018

In 1855, Lincoln wrote to Joshua Speed, a personal friend and slave owner in Kentucky:

You know I dislike slavery; and you fully admit the abstract wrong of it... I also acknowledge your rights and my obligations, under the constitution, in regard to your slaves. I confess I hate to see the poor creatures hunted down, and caught, and carried back to their stripes, and unrewarded toils; but I bite my lip and keep quiet. In 1841 you and I had together a tedious low-water trip, on a Steam Boat from Louisville to St. Louis. You may remember, as I well do, that from Louisville to the mouth of the Ohio, there were, on board, ten or a dozen slaves, shackled together with irons. That sight was a continued torment to me; and I see something like it every time I touch the Ohio, or any other slave-border. It is hardly fair for you to assume, that I have no interest in a thing which has, and continually exercises, the power of making me miserable. You ought rather to appreciate how much the great body of the Northern people do crucify their feelings, in order to maintain their loyalty to the Constitution and the Union. … How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor of degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes." When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty—to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.

1 Like

Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by tintingz(m): 9:35pm On Oct 01, 2018
budaatum:

I found the following:

His family attended a Separate Baptists church, which had strict moral standards and opposed alcohol, dancing, and slavery.

So I say his family (and church) taught him that slavery was immoral. And it could have been empathy for slaves was on the curriculum. Or that it wasn't economically viable or some other reason. I really wouldn't know. But whatever it is, it seems he learnt it. If the statement above is true.

So why is that the church Lincoln and his family went to oppose slavery, hope you know slavery was well practiced in the church generally?
Re: Discussion For Nairaland Atheists Only. by budaatum: 10:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
tintingz:

So why is that the church Lincoln and his family went to oppose slavery, hope you know slavery was well practiced in the church generally?
It does not seem it was practised in the Church Lincoln's parents took him to. Maybe they reasoned it by themselves, or their g.o. did and taught his congregation to oppose slavery too.

What you reckon?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

3 Lessons To Learn From Jesus And The Tax Collector. / EXPOSED! How Satan, Demons, Witches And Pastors Are Destroying Lives! / Islam A Religion Of Peace?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.