Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,597 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? (5952 Views)

5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / 5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Inception(m): 2:16pm On Sep 24, 2018
This is one of the most beautiful cars ever crafted by a Japanese automaker.

Why is it not plying Nigerian roads today?
I know very well that Mazda is quite a durable brand that has been in Nigeria for a long time.
what is going on?

cc. Shagati, Egunmogaji, Gazzuzz, Mayor2013, Costee, Heavenlybang

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Shagati(m): 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2018
Inception:
This is one of the most beautiful cars ever crafted by a Japanese automaker.

Why is it not plying Nigerian roads today?
I know very well that Mazda is quite a durable brand that has been in Nigeria for a long time.
what is going on?

cc. Shagati, Egunmogaji

I saw one in IITA, Ibadan in February last year. Same colour and wheels as your picture.
That is one confirmed sighting for you.
The reason it isn't two is that money nefa reash for my own as I would buy at the drop of a hat! Same colour, same wheels! ! ! angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Inception(m): 3:06pm On Sep 24, 2018
Shagati:

I saw one in IITA, Ibadan in February last year. Same colour and wheels as your picture.
That is one confirmed sighting for you.
The reason it isn't two is that money nefa reash for my own as I would buy at the drop of a hat! Same colour, same wheels! ! ! angry angry angry

Compared to the sightings of camrys and accords, it is like going to Alpha Centuari in the days of Julius Caesar grin

But honestly, this is the most beautiful Japmoblie i have set my eyes on. Damn the car is sexy to look at, like looking at Sophia Loren at the height of her glamour.... in the bedroom...

1 Like

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by sultaan(m): 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2018
It takes 8 years for most new body style to reach Nigeria apart from the usual Camry and Accords that takes about 3 years.

If you doubt let me know if you have seen the new accord

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 24, 2018
Very simple. The car sales did not in any way match the sales of other Japanese cars in it's class, the Camrys and accords. If the people in the us don't trust it enough to buy it, then why would Nigerians buy it? Most used cars that come into this country are imported from the US. So let's take a look at the sales in the US.

2014 Mazda 6: 53, 224 units sold in the US

2014 Honda accrod: 388,374 units sold in the us

2014 Toyota Camry: 434,145 units sold in the us

The sales of the Mazda 6 even reduced to a meansly 33,000 units sold in 2017 while the sales of the Camry and Accord kept increasing. More car sales mean more units available in the used car and auction market which is where most cars on Nigeria roads come from. If the people in America are buying the Camry and Accord, why won't Nigerians buy them? I just don't get those people who still think it's Nigerian mentality to drive a Toyota. If these cars don't sell in the us there won't be enough to be imported to Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2018
The above posters are all correct.

The Mazda 6 doesn't sell anywhere as well as the Camry or Accord.
It's only still a four-year-old model, bit early. The second-gen Mazda 6 isn't even popular yet.

And lastly, Nigerians just don't like the millennial Mazda's. It's a Toyota monopoly here, which is a shame. I doubt it'll ever become popular here.

When buying a 2014 Mazda 6, the budget would be something like 5-6m. Sedan shoppers would much rather get a C350, ES350, or Acura TL, and they really wouldn't be wrong to make that choice. I'd do the same if I were in their shoes.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 5:57pm On Sep 24, 2018
greenhulk:
Very simple. The car sales did not in any way match the sales of other Japanese cars in it's class, the Camrys and accords. If the people in the us don't trust it enough to buy it, then why would Nigerians buy it? Most used cars that come into this country are imported from the US. So let's take a look at the sales in the US.

2014 Mazda 6: 53, 224 units sold in the US

2014 Honda accrod: 388,374 units sold in the us

2014 Toyota Camry: 434,145 units sold in the us

The sales of the Mazda 6 even reduced to a meansly 33,000 units sold in 2017 while the sales of the Camry and Accord kept increasing. More car sales mean more units available in the used car and auction market which is where most cars on Nigeria roads come from. If the people in America are buying the Camry and Accord, why won't Nigerians buy them? I just don't get those people who still think it's Nigerian mentality to drive a Toyota. If these cars don't sell in the us there won't be enough to be imported to Nigeria.

It's a Nigerian mentality joor... If no be Toyota na Honda..
How many of does F-Series made it to Nigeria grin grin grin
Dealers simple bring in what Nigerians want

Abi all does big engined American trucks no dey auction? Or dem no dey salvage dem?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

It's a Nigerian mentality joor... If no be Toyota na Honda..
How many of does F-Series made it to Nigeria grin grin grin

Abi all does big engined American trucks no dey auction? Or dem no dey salvage dem?

The question is how many Nigerians actually use big engine trucks? Most of these anericans that buy them always use them to tow their boats, who get boat to tow here? And the price of gas is cheaper in the US so they can afford to use v8 trucks, even in Europe only a few people drive v8 trucks. Most people that use pick up trucks here are either government agencies, companies or people that use it in their farms or construction. Now if u own a business that requires the use of pick up trucks. Would u go Ford or a more reliable Hilux? Talk true. And for the records the Nigeria police and frsc did use Ford ranger for many years but we all know how all those trucks turned out. Even in most countries apart from the US Hilux is preferred, how is that now a Nigerian thing? Toyota hilix is the highest selling pick up truck allover the world except in the US

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:05pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

There lies your problem. How many people buy V8's here?

1 Like

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by diportivo: 6:22pm On Sep 24, 2018
u people av decided to steer the discuss away from the mazda6

eventually it will become a Toyota versus the rest thread

eventually....

9 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 24, 2018
diportivo:

eventually....

That's inevitable. Mazda 6 is a mid size family sedan and the cars it's competing with are the Camrys and accords.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 6:29pm On Sep 24, 2018
greenhulk:

The question is how many Nigerians actually use big engine trucks? Most of these anericans that buy them always use them to tow their boats, who get boat to tow here? And the price of gas is cheaper in the US so they can afford to use v8 trucks, even in Europe only a few people drive v8 trucks. Most people that use pick up trucks here are either government agencies, companies or people that use it in their farms or construction. Now if u own a business that requires the use of pick up trucks. Would u go Ford or a more reliable Hilux? Talk true. And for the records the Nigeria police and frsc did use Ford ranger for many years but we all know how all those trucks turned out. Even in most countries apart from the US Hilux is preferred, how is that now a Nigerian thing? Toyota hilix is the highest selling pick up truck allover the world except in the US
How many Toyota Hilux survived the Nigeria Police force grin grin.. NPF are on a different level in vehicle distruction.. Please let's not use them as a yardstick.

As for the truck.. I will must probably pick the cheaper Nissan Frontier

HeavenlyBang:

There lies your problem. How many people buy V8's here?

My point is.. There are so many other brands in the American vehicle market aside Toyota and Honda which don't make it to the Nigerian market.

Toyota and Honda

2 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:34pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

How many Toyota Hilux survived the Nigeria Police force grin grin.. NPF are on a different level in vehicle distruction.. Please let's not use them as a yardstick.

My point is.. There are so many other brands in the American vehicle market aside Toyota and Honda which don't make it to the Nigerian market.

Toyota and Honda

Funny thing is, where I live--a state capital in the SE--Ford Rangers are literally everywhere. No joke. Ford Rangers and Ford Focuses are the government vehicles here.

Ultimately, it all depends. Toyota and Honda are ubiquitous because Nigerians want them, yes. But let's not act like Nigerians don't want them for a reason. They're the best selling companies in the US and have a history of reliability.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

Toyota and Honda

Toyotas and Hondas have a far better resale value than any other brand. That is a fact. When buying a used car with over 150,000 miles on it's odometer, most people try to play safe and go for the ones with better reliability, it's no secret Toyota, Honda and Lexus score perfect score in crash tests. These are cars u will use for many years and still sell at a good price when u get tired of using them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 7:00pm On Sep 24, 2018
greenhulk:

Toyotas and Hondas have a far better resale value than any other brand. That is a fact. When buying a used car with over 150,000 miles on it's odometer, most people try to play safe and go for the ones with better reliability, it's no secret Toyota, Honda and Lexus score perfect score in crash tests. These are cars u will use for many years and still sell at a good price when u get tired of using them.

Higher resell value because of the value we(Nigerian) put on them..and the same value our dealer take to auction site like copart & Co.. Because dealer know whatever price they get them Nigerian will buy them.

Please explain why Mid-size Sedan(Camry) is cheaper then compact Car(corolla).. Only in Nigeria

grin grin grin Crash test?? Most of our Toyota & Honda have already crashed.. So count that out

6 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by aninweze(m): 7:08pm On Sep 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Funny thing is, where I live--a state capital in the SE--Ford Rangers are literally everywhere. No joke. Ford Rangers and Ford Focuses are the government vehicles here.

Ultimately, it all depends. Toyota and Honda are ubiquitous because Nigerians want them, yes. But let's not act like Nigerians don't want them for a reason. They're the best selling companies in the US and have a history of reliability.

Is that state capital Awka? grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

The reliability we are shouting up & down is because your Kazeem can fix them and plenty fake part everywhere.. The other brands don't have cheap & fake parts because of low demand for parts.. Why is that? Because everybody is buying Toyota and Honda.. And the cycle continues

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 7:14pm On Sep 24, 2018
diportivo:

eventually....

Is it your Toyota vs the rest?? angry angry
Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by diportivo: 7:39pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:
Please explain why Mid-size Sudan (Camry) is cheaper then compact Sudan (corolla).. Only in Nigeria

follow me to the darfur region....ur answer is there

thebigkendo:

Is it your Toyota vs the rest?? angry angry

thunder fire you sir

1 Like

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2018
aninweze:

Is that state capital Awka? grin

Yes. grin grin

thebigkendo:

The reliability we are shouting up & down is because your Kazeem can fix them and plenty fake part everywhere.. The other brands don't have cheap & fake parts because of low demand for parts.. Why is that? Because everybody is buying Toyota and Honda.. And the cycle continues

Are you saying Toyota and Honda aren't the most reliable marques? 'Cause you'd be wrong. Both brands are more reliable than anything else on the market, by US standards, EU standards, Nigerian standards. Nothing to do with Kazeems.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 7:44pm On Sep 24, 2018
diportivo:

follow me to the darfur region....ur answer is there

thunder fire you sir

Me & u go settle for jungle grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

So wrong. Even in the US people buy them because of their reliability, can u explain why the Camry and Honda keep selling over 400,000 units while brands like Mazda 6 struggle to sell 30,000 units every year in the us? Is that also because their own kazeems use fake parts?

Do u seriously think if Toyota and Honda don't sell in the us then we would have enough of those cars being shipped to nigeria in volumes everyday? If Nigerians were shipping Mazda 6 or bmw 3 series or Ford fusion as much as they ship Camry and Accord, by now those cars would have been extinct in the US.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 8:49pm On Sep 24, 2018
greenhulk:

So wrong. Even in the US people buy them because of their reliability, can u explain why the Camry and Honda keep selling over 400,000 units while brands like Mazda 6 struggle to sell 30,000 units every year in the us? Is that also because their own kazeems use fake parts?

Do u seriously think if Toyota and Honda don't sell in the us then we would have enough of those cars being shipped to nigeria in volumes everyday? If Nigerians were shipping Mazda 6 or bmw 3 series or Ford fusion as much as they ship Camry and Accord, by now those cars would have been extinct in the US.

Nigerian will not ship because Nigerians are not going to buy grin grin

Mind you I also use Honda.. But had I known what I know now, would have probably bought a Volvo for a cheaper price(cheaper not because they are not good,but just Nigerian market forces in play) and get more value for my money.
I know una go shout poor resell value!!

I buy my Volvo 1.3-1.5m you buy your corolla 1.8m,
I later sell my volvo 700 - 800k, you sell your corolla 1.15 - 1.3m.

The extra money 300 - 400k change from not buying the corolla would have yielded me some extra money too.
Not forgetting the fact that I can park my non-comprehensively insured volvo on any street corner & sleep with both eyes closed grin grin grin grin

Modified

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

[/b]

If Americans are buying camry and accords at 10:1 ratio than any other mid size family sedan then it is safe to say it's not just Nigerian mentality but as also American mentality. Or those people too no get sense?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:03pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

Mind you I also use Honda.. But had I known what I know now, would have probably bought a Volvo for a cheaper price(cheaper not because they are not good,but just Nigerian market forces in play) and get more value for my money.
I know una go shout poor resell value!!

I buy my Volvo 1.3-1.5m you buy your corolla 1.8m,
I later sell my volvo 700 - 800k, you sell your corolla 1.15 - 1.3m.

The extra money 300 - 400k change from not buying the corolla would have yielded me some extra money too.
Not forgetting the fact that I can park my non-comprehensively insured volvo on any street corner & sleep with both eyes closed grin grin grin grin

Modified

Yeah, but Volvo's are ugly.
Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by thebigkendo(m): 10:07pm On Sep 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Beauty is in the eyes of......... Most common Camrys & Corollas 1999 - 2011 are ugly to me also..

5 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:15pm On Sep 24, 2018
thebigkendo:

Beauty is in the eyes of......... Most common Camrys & Corollas 1999 - 2011 are ugly to me also..

Camry Muscle is objectively a handsome car. You're right, though, one man's food and all that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by radautoworks: 6:27am On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Sorry, meant to quote below not you.

HeavenlyBang:

Shooooot have you seen the new XC? Awarded best car in the world and car of the year this year. My best friend has the XC90 and it's the most technologically advanced car I've ever seen. For the first time, I have car envy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:56am On Sep 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Sorry, meant to quote below not you.

Shooooot have you seen the new XC? Awarded best car in the world and car of the year this year. My best friend has the XC90 and it's the most technologically advanced car I've ever seen. For the first time, I have car envy.

Yes, yes. New-gen Volvos are sexy but their design language hadn't really matured pre-2010. Their cars from that generation just look weird to me. Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus had much better design factors.

Here's the 2008 S60, for example. I just can't get over that snout, haha.

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by Inception(m): 9:22am On Sep 25, 2018
funny thing is, Mazda used to be very common in the late 70's and early 80s

they even had showrooms in Nigeria then.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by billy187(m): 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2018
I have wondered about this for quite a while now. Mazda makes some of the finest vehicles for the money (seriously, the interior of any recent model Mazda 6 makes the interiors of similarly aged camrys look like dog puke). I also hear they are extremely fun to drive

I personally prefer the '16 model though, few changes but they make all the difference.

Re: Why Is The 2014 Mazda 6 Not On Nigerian Roads? by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:37pm On Sep 25, 2018
oooh lawd...
I stand with Toyota.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Tips To Help Prevent A Car Fire / 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems / Happy World Car Awards Takes Centre Stage This April

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.