Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames (8075 Views)

Photo: Meet The Mami Water People From Osun Oshogbo / Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances / Why Don't White People Have African Surnames? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 10, 2011
Johndoe100:

Right and they had access to the sea? Anyway you all were our slaves, who cares who went hunting? Let me give you a brief quote.

T

Your slaves? lol. You make me laugh. You're so in a hurry to display your ignorance.
Re: Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 05, 2015
honeric01:
Why would a whole region change their surnames to their superior slave dealers if not for inferiority complex? were the binis not also trading with the Europeans? why didn't they change their names to that of their counterparts?

I feel it's mainly due to colonial mentality and due to the fact that they believed everything about them was inferior even to their names and clothes, even to their soul.

These are exactly the reason.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Aspect Do You Love About Your Culture / The Hamar People / African And African American Scientist/geniuses/inventors Thread :)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.