Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? (23204 Views)

Pretty Foreign Lady Tries Different Nigerian Foods For The 1st Time (pics/video) / Rare Pictures Of Nigerian Foods Shown In The Most Tantalizing Way / Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by BedLam: 3:32pm On Sep 30, 2018
No be same una go de find pounded yam for Dubai? Una go say Chinese de eat too much leaf. Now you wan cut your peer starchy foods. Sorry but in Nigeria, you have to be spending more than average to attain that.
And some of these things ain't local.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by bukatyne(f): 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2018
olajide21:
Hi all,
Time as come when i become conscious of what i eat, when i eat and how i eat. Rice, plantain, yam were my regulars and in above average servings.

To the well informed people in the house, is Rice and yam low carb diet? What are the other low carb food that i can eat that would not make me miss my regulars. I would appreciate anyone willing to give a certified advice.

Thank you in anticipation.

Except you have a medical condition restricting what you eat, all our foods are OK.

Just measure what you eat and reduce the oil. Also eat balanced diet. For instance, I have learnt to add vegetables to rice (runner beans, green peas and carrot) so it is not all carbs.

Beans is high carbs so don't always eat with garri, bread or rice.

Don't fry your meat, let fried meat be a treat at parties. If you can't stand boiled, grill or boil without water.

Don't heap swallow on a plate with oily soup full of shake, pumo, cow leg, roundabout etc. in the name of enjoyment.

Don't over cook your vegetables. Add it like 2mins before you turn off the heat.

Run away from fizzy drinks.

Good luck.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by BedLam: 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2018
OneSentence:
Abeg which ones are packing calories...? na that one I need now
a lot of solid foods pack calories. Eating little at a time is your best bet.

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Juliearth(f): 3:35pm On Sep 30, 2018
olajide21:
Hi all,
Time as come when i become conscious of what i eat, when i eat and how i eat. Rice, plantain, yam were my regulars and in above average servings.

To the well informed people in the house, is Rice and yam low carb diet? What are the other low carb food that i can eat that would not make me miss my regulars. I would appreciate anyone willing to give a certified advice.

Avoid white carbs(rice,yam...) if you must consume Rice, it should be brown rice once a week. For your swallow, you should consider the likes of oatmeal swallow, unripe plantain swallow, fonio swallow... Guinea corn swallow,etc. Subsititute red meat with Fish(stay away from Cat fish though) chicken, Cow skin... Do not skip breakfast, 8 glasses of water a day, 40 minutes of brisk walking or jogging a day.... No food intake once it's 7PM...minimal oil, fruits and veggies are a must-have... Quote me if you need more dets.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by fowlyansh181(m): 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2018
Eat more of protein and avoid carbs .. Okpa, beans, moimoi, fish in place of meat , eat egg white and avoid the yolk, unriped plantain porridge in place of yam porridge, a cup of rice and two spoons of stew isn’t bad .. these so far are my diets when in naija.. also add oats ..

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by BedLam: 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliearth:

Avoid white carbs(rice,yam...) if you must consume Rice, it should be brown rice once a week. For your swallow, you should consider the likes of Quaker oath swallow, unripe plantain swallow, fonio swallow... Guinea corn swallow,etc. Subsititute red meat with Fish(stay away from Cat fish though) chicken, Cow skin... Do not skip breakfast, 8 glasses of water a day, 40 minutes of brisk walking or jogging a day.... No food intake once it's 7PM... Quote me if you need more dets.
Quaker is a brand ma. Oatmeal it is. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Juliearth(f): 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
BedLam:
Quaker is a brand ma. Oatmeal it is. smiley

Thanks for the correction. I am sure the op gets my point though.

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by bukatyne(f): 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
Benekruku:
Amala with fresh fish in one plate, and Saki, round-about, and liver in another plate, with another plate filled with soup soaked Ponmo

Make sure you dont introduce any other thing except water for drinking

For a person or a whole family?

Small amala, fresh fish and maybe one ponmo/saki/liver/roundabout is OK.

And water of course.

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by brixton: 3:44pm On Sep 30, 2018
Good thread

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by seguno2: 3:46pm On Sep 30, 2018
Maitommi:
Unripe plantain, oats...

Oats na Nigerian food
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 30, 2018
desiregold:
Are you serious about this coffee ? with milk or just plain coffe?

Plain...

Little sugar

And cut down on your food portions
Cut down completely sugary drinks..
Coke fanta and all the likes
Increase fruits intake..

When you do all dis plus early morning jogging+sit ups for a start
You will see results in a month or two.

The beginning is difficult.. But you must be ready to motivate yourself to exercise everyday!

Thank you

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by sawdi: 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2018
desiregold:
Following this thread.

with the way i am gaining weight ehen, i need to go low on carb.

Biko, dieticians in the house.., report here.

Those laps tho
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2018
bukatyne:

Except you have a medical condition restricting what you eat, all our foods are OK.

Just measure what you eat and reduce the oil. Also eat balanced diet. For instance, I have learnt to add vegetables to rice (runner beans, green peas and carrot) so it is not all carbs.

Beans is high carbs so don't always eat with garri, bread or rice.

Don't fry your meat, let fried meat be a treat at parties. If you can't stand boiled, grill or boil without water.

Don't heap swallow on a plate with oily soup full of shake, pumo, cow leg, roundabout etc. in the name of enjoyment.

Don't over cook your vegetables. Add it like 2mins before you turn off the heat.

Run away from fizzy drinks.

Good luck.

Our food are not ok. All our food are too high on carb. OP only very few of our food can be low carb. Amala and Okro is a good food low on carb. Look for wholemeal bread and mind the quantity you eat. Brown rice is ok if eaten in moderate quantity
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 30, 2018
HaileSelassie:

Plain...

Little sugar

And cut down on your food portions
Cut down completely sugary drinks..
Coke fanta and all the likes
Increase fruits intake..

When you do all dis plus early morning jogging+sit ups for a start
You will see results in a month or two.

The beginning is difficult.. But you must be ready to motivate yourself to exercise everyday!

Thank you
Thanks Thanks.

But, sit ups are damn too painful for me to do. i do skipping though, is skipping alone not enough?

as for sugary drinks..? I dont do them.

i will double on my fruits intake.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by bukatyne(f): 3:58pm On Sep 30, 2018
toyetade:

Our food are not ok. All our food are too high on carb. OP only very few of our food can be low carb. Amala and Okro is a good food low on carb. Look for wholemeal bread and mind the quantity you eat. Brown rice is ok if eaten in moderate quantity

Is it not same food our parents ate?

The problem is that we want to eat the way they ate without considering the activities of both generations.

If you eat right, you will be OK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by excel101(m): 3:59pm On Sep 30, 2018
Somivta, semolina, amala etc.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by folake4u(f): 4:03pm On Sep 30, 2018
olajide21:
Hi all,

Okro.
Moimoi.
Spinach.
Garden egg.
Unripe plantain etc.

Majority of Nigerian food are high in carbs generally.

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2018
desiregold:
Thanks Thanks.

But, sit ups are damn too painful for me to do. i do skipping though, is skipping alone not enough?

as for sugary drinks..? I dont do them.

i will double on my fruits intake.

Sit ups is the one of the most effective ways to deal with abdominals! It works wonders

Within 3 to 4 months of constant sit ups
I was not only able to cut down belly fat, I also got my 6ix packs forming
grin

When you start, its going to be painful.. Take a day rest, on the third day, attempt it again, it will be painful.. Just make sure you do like 10/reps only ..
Attempt the next day too
Small small.. Just know consistency is key. As long as you do something everyday.. Keep it up!! You will get used to it.. And when you start seeing results you will get addicted cos you won't like to look like your old self

4 Likes

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 30, 2018
BedLam:
a lot of solid foods pack calories. Eating little at a time is your best bet.
thanks. I've heard this before too. as well as not taking water during meals
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by pryme(m): 4:36pm On Sep 30, 2018
desiregold:
Following this thread.

If you can afford it, then you should go on a carnivore diet. There has been many positive reviews about it on youtube, contrary to what a lot of doctors has told us.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by sacajawea: 4:39pm On Sep 30, 2018
Maitommi:
Unripe plantain, oats...
What of The Ripe Ones
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by lielbree: 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

Ewa is protein nau

I am guessing OP want to cut down weight

Try more of fruits like grape, Orange, pineapple, paw paw , watermelon etc

less or no spices if you can

Eats more of Beans

Moi-Moi + eko

Unripe plantain with stew or palm oil garnished with onion

Just try it for a month. Thank me later!

Beans and unripe plantain are both carbs. Although healthy complex, but still carbs.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by olajide21: 4:47pm On Sep 30, 2018
Oyindidi:
Plantain

Thanks but maybe grilled. Fried plantain though my favourite of all times has been strike off.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:48pm On Sep 30, 2018
lielbree:

Beans and unripe plantain are both carbs. Although healthy complex, but still carbs.
What I know is that you don't get heavy when you eat unripe plantain and beans is not carbohydrate!!!

1 Like

Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Oyindidi(f): 4:48pm On Sep 30, 2018
olajide21:

Thanks but maybe grilled. Fried plantain though my favourite of all times has been strike off.
eat unripe plantain pottage
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Minemrys: 4:48pm On Sep 30, 2018
desiregold:
Following this thread.
mhen, you fat no be small. What tha hell?
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 30, 2018
pryme:

If you can afford it, then you should go on a carnivore diet. There has been many positive reviews about it on youtube, contrary to what a lot of doctors has told us.
ok dear, i will google about it, hearing of it for the first time from you. thanks
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by olajide21: 4:52pm On Sep 30, 2018
Aden777:
undecidedMilk

Mbanu.... unless it's plant based.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by olajide21: 4:53pm On Sep 30, 2018
boolet:
Unfortunately none.

Thanks but i go still dey look for.
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by CDCEO001: 4:59pm On Sep 30, 2018
Does it mean that Nigeria don't know the difference between As and Has, We and Will?
Re: What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? by pryme(m): 5:04pm On Sep 30, 2018
desiregold:
ok dear, i will google about it, hearing of it for the first time from you. thanks

Also throw in some light aerobics workout, Not only will you look great, you will also FEEL great.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Toasted Plain Cakes Without An Oven (pics & Video) / #worldjollofriceday Now Trending On Twitter / Efo Riro: A Nairalander’s Delicacy For The Weekend!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.