Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result (32047 Views)

NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG / Should Nysc Be Scrapped? / NYSC Should Be Scraped YES OR NO? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Debbielam(f): 11:00am On Oct 01, 2018
bigtt76:
The scheme would benefit more from being reformed than being scrapped. I grew up in the era when we all crave to see Fulani women selling 'fura' de 'nunu' ....locally made fermented cow milk, cheese and butter. We were never scared of rumored poisons or attacks by the herdsmen etc.

NYSC then was a period when we the youths travel from our comfort zone to live in a new town, mix and make friends. I served in Katsina State. Each day we go jogging, we had the streets lined up by the old and young people of the state hailing us. We were welcomed within their midst no issues whatsoever.

A reformed NYSC should allow the youths select where they would like to serve but not the same state as they schooled or hailed from. For example ....if I'm from Lagos State and Schooled in Oyo State, I can't serve in any of those states but I can select any other state to serve. Should also be ready to facilitate your place of primary assignment. No more NYSC assigning corp members to states or PPA without their (corp members') participation. Like Oga Sanwo said .....it should be participatory manifesto posting.

As for the issue of Davido gallivanting the world while on National Service ....be assured he would serve his punishment when the time comes. Its not for the NYSC HQ to single out a corp member on National Media ....its not done that way. Davido is not the only one going to be punished, there would be others too.

Again we shouldn't say because one egg goes bad, automatically the others should follow suit and go bad undecided

<Pls no insults> ....thank you!

Lol punished? Like beaten or sent to jail or fined for 50k? I'm not supporting davido but this is Nigeria...He was obviously doing it for the show or future political reason but there are hundreds of money grubbing senators who didn't even go to uni but because the haven't quarrelled amongst themselves their secret is well hidden....let's start from there
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by phineas: 11:01am On Oct 01, 2018
Scrapped
The scheme makes no provision for the security or safety of corpers.It treats graduates like children to be abused and insulted at their first job by rude NYSC officials and others.Add absolute waste of time for those eager to start their lives. Waste of a whole year. Thankless job for that matter.

If participating puts the life of 1 corper at risk then it's a good reason to scrap it entirely.

I'll agree it's useful only if it's allowed to be optional. People can pay to waive it and the agency uses the money to pay corpers decently and provide emergency numbers for their extradition in an emergency. If people including NYSC staff will be prosecuted for incompetence and jailed if a corpers life is put at risk.

If communities will be ransacked if a corpers is beaten or raped

Lastly if a corper is free to exit at any point in the program

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by funnynation(m): 11:02am On Oct 01, 2018
All this people wey dey say scrap na total waste of 1 year, abeg after your service you don get better job? Some still dey hustle. Abeg make dey increase the allawee. Scrap wetin? When I never serve?
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Trunaijian: 11:04am On Oct 01, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

How many of the 300+ tribes are you going to meet in camp or while serving? And do each one of them really represent their tribe.
What happened to the nigeria peoples and culture you learn in your freshman year. Is it not enough to learn and unlearn the tRuths about other tribes and peoples?

In a classroom? Or for just 3 weeks in camp?
No enough bro. You have to actually live with people in normal circumstances to get to understand their true way of life.

That is why when you deal with a well travelled person, there is always a difference with one who has been in his home town all his life.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by elantraceey(f): 11:08am On Oct 01, 2018
If it's scrapped, a lot of schools in the east will be without teachers.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by israelmao(m): 11:24am On Oct 01, 2018
It is a good scheme on paper but lacks full implementation in practice.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by BrokenCock: 11:24am On Oct 01, 2018
Volcano12:
What are they serving for.Just this year alone,how many of them has died?
Ehn! Na ur village ppl dey kill dem na.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by HisSexcellency(m): 11:28am On Oct 01, 2018
jtjohn:
it should be scraped Jor.........The purpose of the scheme is defeated.

Three Reason it should be scraped

because of the rich: just take a look at Davido is he serving the country or touring around the world

because of the average: you can easily bribe ur way to be posted to a better place to serve.

Because of the poor: They are the one that suffer the whole thing, no money to bribe there way to be posted to a better place, so they are left at the mercy of been posted to the north east where Boko Haram or any other insurgent are.

It should be scrap and that money should be given to all prospectus Corp member to start a business instead of wasting one full year.

Seems you are a confused fellow undecided
If it is scraped like you said, that means there won't be any prospective corpers. Reform is what any sane person should advocate for, do you know how many persons got jobs and opportunities during nysc
Do you know how many persons that remained jobless after nysc? You should seek reforms to ensure that people like davido don't gallivant while supposedly doing service, and to ensure that persons don't bribe their way to favourable Ppa while others suffer

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Jacobmanny(m): 11:52am On Oct 01, 2018
Not sure reformation will do it any good because at the end of the day everyone take part it just to earn the little peanut given for a whole year. I am of the opinion that it should be scrapped out while more attention(reform) be given to I.T(Industrial Training). This should help every student get hands on experience in relating theory with practical from whatever field of study before leaving school and also earn a job placement from what he knows and not just connections
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by xtravanganza: 11:56am On Oct 01, 2018
DICKtator:

NYSC or soccer?

grin grin grin grin
not everyone love football. just imagine in my Nysc days, I met people from zamfara, gombe, kebbi, sokoto... I was shocked to find out that not all northeners are hausa. but they all speak and hear Hausa.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Evangkatsoulis: 12:03pm On Oct 01, 2018
Trunaijian:

In a classroom? Or for just 3 weeks in camp?
No enough bro. You have to actually live with people in normal circumstances to get to understand their true way of life.

That is why when you deal with a well travelled person, there is always a difference with one who has been in his home town all his life.

Even, in university for over 2 years I have met and interacted with over 100 tribes, so I don't understand how spending 3 weeks with them would be any different.
And again one or two persons are not entirely representative of the tribe and culture. And during your main service you only get to interact with a particular people(e.g the people of ijaw where you are posted) not every tribe in nigeria.

So again University/Polytechnic>>> NYSC
NYSC is useless.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Timagex(m): 12:04pm On Oct 01, 2018
medexico:
I met the Love of my life during NYSC.

NYSC will make you understand that most things you hear about other tribes are lies
awwwwwn cool cheesy smiley
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by omoelerin1: 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
Mrchippychappy:
should be reformed, students should serve in their respective regions, this would prevent unnecessary loss of lives.
What do you mean by serving in your region prevents loss of lives?
Are you saying someone from Kwara state serving in Nasarawa or Plateau state cannot be attacked there? After all he is serving in his region. Does it mean an indigene of Edo cannot be attacked in Cross River?
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by MollyBank: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2018
Princedapace:

Baba, that Nysc is waste of time.. Life is not all about earning stupid money and making friends.. Nigeria as a country is not productive at all.

After graduation, we should look for ways to make people enroll into serious training programmers and order them financial support. The money spent to camp people for thee weeks where they mainly Bleep and Bleep away their lives, should be given to graduates who are meant to serve. Many will not use it well but few will use it that create more jobs..

Mama," you should look for a way to make people enroll into serious training"? How about you get establish those training centres first and then come back and scrap NYSC. You guys are quick to jump to 10 without counting one. All the promises made by your leaders, have they fulfilled one? You want them to scrap this one avenue most youth use to make little meaning out of their lives after school.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by akigbemaru: 12:17pm On Oct 01, 2018
wirinet:
It should be reformed.
In it's present form, to me it is utterly useless. It does nothing to national and personal development. It subjects graduates to unnecessary risks and sufferings.

First why restrict it to only graduates? It should cover Nigerian youths of a certain age group. Graduates are less than 30% of Nigerian youths. All patriotic Nigerian youth should be given opportunity to serve their nation.

Secondly, the so called military training is useless. A two weeks exercise does not help the individual nor the nation. The training does not train on the use of ammunition or military tactics, that is why they are easy targets of terrorists and bandits. If they had actual military training, they would be able to defend themselves better when attacked by terrorists and criminals. The NYSC members cannot be called upon as reserve in times of war. Other countries with similar programs usually call on their youth corps members in times of armed conflict. Nigeria is so weak at the moment that we cannot defend ourselves if attached by a fairly strong enemy.

The program does nothing to develop entrepreneurial skills. There are few salary jobs out there, so the government should take entrepreneurial training more serious to solve our unemployment issues.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Guide777(m): 12:24pm On Oct 01, 2018
Scrap ? No!
Reform ? Yes!
NYSC is like the proverbial elephant which the blindfolded fellas are asked to evaluate by means of touch. Regardless of what various perspective concerning it, NYSC from the stand point of its laid down objectives, is still on course.
Below is the mandate given to NYSC:
The objectives of the service corps shall be:
1. to inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in . them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves
2. to raise the moral tone of the Niqerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievements, social and cultural improvement
3. to develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them more amenable to mobilization in the national interest
3. to enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment
4. to contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy
5. to develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration
6. to remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance-and confirm at first hand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups
7. to develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Guide777(m): 12:25pm On Oct 01, 2018
Scrap ? No!
Reform ? Yes!
NYSC is like the proverbial elephant which the blindfolded fellas are asked to evaluate by means of touch. Regardless of what various perspective concerning it, NYSC from the stand point of its laid down objectives, is still on course.
Below is the mandate given to NYSC:

The objectives of the service corps shall be:
1. to inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in . them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves
2. to raise the moral tone of the Niqerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievements, social and cultural improvement
3. to develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them more amenable to mobilization in the national interest
3. to enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment
4. to contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy
5. to develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration
6. to remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance-and confirm at first hand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups
7. to develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Princedapace(m): 12:52pm On Oct 01, 2018
MollyBank:

Mama," you should look for a way to make people enroll into serious training"? How about you get establish those training centres first and then come back and scrap NYSC. You guys are quick to jump to 10 without counting one. All the promises made by your leaders, have they fulfilled one? You want them to scrap this one avenue most youth use to make little meaning out of their lives after school.

what is the meaning most youths make from nysc? Bros, after NYSC, over 90% of the youths become broke and unemployable..

what was the gain? Most youths Bleep away their lives in NYSC. Na fun carry most youths go NYSC

like i said, billions are spent each year on NYSC, give the money as seed capital to youths after graduation, many will start up businesses and employ others..

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by MollyBank: 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2018
Princedapace:

what is the meaning most youths make from nysc? Bros, after NYSC, over 90% of the youths become broke and unemployable..

what was the gain? Most youths Bleep away their lives in NYSC. Na fun carry most youths go NYSC

like i said, billions are spent each year on NYSC, give the money as seed capital to youths after graduation, many will start up businesses and employ others..

If you were one of the youths that went there just to have fun, sorry sir I wasn't. I gained a good work experience during my NYSC and I was retained where I served.

so Nigerian government you and I know will channel the billions saved from scraping NYSC to start ups huh? How about the money they saved from fuel subsidy, what is it being used for?

Like I said earlier, let the government establish a good alternative, and then come back and scrap it.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 01, 2018
shogsman:

Imagine what, that's 25,840 in 30 days, that's meager man.
not it you're jobless is not
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Princedapace(m): 1:15pm On Oct 01, 2018
MollyBank:

If you were one of the youths that went there just to have fun, sorry sir I wasn't. I gained a good work experience during my NYSC and I was retained where I served.

so Nigerian government you and I know will channel the billions saved from scraping NYSC to start ups huh? How about the money they saved from fuel subsidy, what is it being used for?

Like I said earlier, let the government establish a good alternative, and then come back and scrap it.

u just dey argue for argument sake. I think u are the argument type. Abeg, what is the percentage of the number of people who served and got retained where they served compared to those who were? That is where u start from.

And no one is ever saying stop NYSC without alternative. At least the name institution which handles the scheme can still over see the payment of the money to qualified graduates.

Simple, people will do much better with it that taking people's children to go and die for nothing. Even to get PPA, many people struggled.

The scheme is tired bro. We are saying the same thing, there is no need for argument biko.

I know ur type, u are already throwing jam at me. For ur mind, u were very serious and hard working during nysc, while i wasnt, abi? hahahaha,

Bro, we deal with percentage of something and not just make up something. How many youths got retained where they served? How much will such place even pay them? Many corps member struggle to get PPA sef. That 2% got retained is not a good statistics to brag with..

And, u werent the most hard working person. I work for my self. I didnt want to teach in one useless village like that.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by analdo: 1:21pm On Oct 01, 2018
oodualover:
[s][/s]
Fuc.k NYSC! Unity is not by force. Nigerians are not united. Stop risking peoples lives because of one useless "one nigeria". If you think NYSC is good, then let people serve in their regions.
FUC.K NYSC!!!!
FUC.K NIGERIA!!!
Bleep UNITY!!!
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 01, 2018
NYSC should be scrapped.

Those saying it shouldnt be scrapped : -

(1) either they are scared of reality
(2) Want to enjoy the national year Sex, (cos i think sex activity involving corpers is more than the aim of the programme)
Who wan tell me say for him PPA, (asides Lagos) and some few urban areas, one out of 5 corpers no knack felllow corper, student, or staff of the organisation they were sent to. i dey my house , come and shoot me.

IT SHOULD BE SCRAPPED JARE. or made OPTIONAL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by bidak(m): 2:05pm On Oct 01, 2018
It shouldn’t be scrapped or reformed , it should just be made optional

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 01, 2018
bidak:
It shouldn’t be scrapped or reformed , it should just be made optional
Exactly, optional and allawee increased to a 100K
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by Caseless: 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2018
jtjohn:
it should be scraped Jor.........The purpose of the scheme is defeated.

Three Reason it should be scraped

because of the rich: just take a look at Davido is he serving the country or touring around the world

because of the average: you can easily bribe ur way to be posted to a better place to serve.

Because of the poor: They are the one that suffer the whole thing, no money to bribe there way to be posted to a better place, so they are left at the mercy of been posted to the north east where Boko Haram or any other insurgent are.

It should be scrap and that money should be given to all prospectus Corp member to start a business instead of wasting one full year.

your reasons are why it should be reformed and scrapped.

I don't regret ever going for service. I met some wonderful people there. Not even money could have bought me that experience. In fact, I miss service.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by MollyBank: 5:22pm On Oct 01, 2018
Princedapace:

u just dey argue for argument sake. I think u are the argument type. Abeg, what is the percentage of the number of people who served and got retained where they served compared to those who were? That is where u start from.

And no one is ever saying stop NYSC without alternative. At least the name institution which handles the scheme can still over see the payment of the money to qualified graduates.

Simple, people will do much better with it that taking people's children to go and die for nothing. Even to get PPA, many people struggled.

The scheme is tired bro. We are saying the same thing, there is no need for argument biko.

I know ur type, u are already throwing jam at me. For ur mind, u were very serious and hard working during nysc, while i wasnt, abi? hahahaha,

Bro, we deal with percentage of something and not just make up something. How many youths got retained where they served? How much will such place even pay them? Many corps member struggle to get PPA sef. That 2% got retained is not a good statistics to brag with..

And, u werent the most hard working person. I work for my self. I didnt want to teach in one useless village like that.

First of all, I'm not a bro. Molly is not a man's name. thank you.

I haven't got time to argue with you anymore. People like will always see the cup half empty. You didn't want to go to a village and die bla blah, while some people went and gained good life experiences over there.

Like I said, let the government get an alternative first before scraping it! If this is hard for you to comprehend, then exit left and don't quote me again. Thank you!
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by poseidon12: 5:25pm On Oct 01, 2018
It should be replaced with compulsory military service.
Re: Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result by GuntersChain(m): 5:41pm On Oct 01, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Corp Members Killed In Bauchi As Released By Nysc / The Food Served At Adamawa NYSC Orientation Camp (Watery Beans) / Students Attack Corpers With Cutlass In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.